Why Are You Afraid to Nerf Thief All The Time??

Yerlock.4678

Behold the real golden child of pvp.  It's not necro or guard, it's thief. Always has been.  It's insane how almost every meta has thief as the best class and/or spec. There's other specs and classes out there anet, don't be afraid to mix it up just a little. And now it's been this way for so long that I'm sure they're intimidated to make any real change. Thief in it's current dominant form (Specter) is being played like a candy healomancer/dps/condi necro thing. It's just disgusting. Not so much that this current version of thief in the meta is too strong, but that it's always been this way.

Just balance the game regardless of the class. If it's thief it shouldn't get special treatment, nor guard or necro. We all want a balanced game. If that means punishing thief so that other specs can shine that's a good thing and we all (most of us) want that.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

Thief is a shadow of its former self. (pun not intended)

Multiple 300 sec CDs in acrobatics. 

Sword/Pistol has been neutered

Staff is dead

Dagger/Dagger is a meme

Sword/Dagger is decent, but damage isn't what it used to be

PI is still ded.

Rifle is still good, but kneeling needs to be made rewarding again. Standing 2 spam should not >>>>> Kneeling 3 spam. 

It manages to stay in the meta because of a variety of factors, including its base design, but I can tell you, a lack of nerfs is not one of them. 

This is coming from someone who hates fighting thief. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 12

22 minutes ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

I dunno what you mean, rev is just a class favored by the best players and the best players tend to win.

Lol, Herald with Quickness right now feels like they gave training wheels to the profession. It wasn't enough that players don't have to play with the profession mechanics, they had to make instant casting even more instant cast.

Herald should be apart of the profession at this rate, it feels really insulting to play compared anything else the class has to offer.

• Thanks 1

Does thief really need to be needed?

the blind spam siphon build is kittenous and shouldn’t be a thing and specter is a bit too easy to exploit with more conditions than a mirage - also immob is pretty annoying but I feel like it’s pretty balanced overall.

deadeye is a pain but with the addition of mechs there’s so many other things to complain about from a projectile standpoint. 

I don’t see too many thieves but I’m just a trash gold player. Either way that’s where the majority of the player base lies so I’d say it’s balanced enough even if annoying. Don’t need to go nerfing thief when we have bladesworn that anyone can pick up and be successful with, even someone as bad at me that’s avoided warrior. Lol

• Confused 1

Well, what you are really talking about is spectre which has too many ways to get out of sticky situations. They also have a free res with shallow grave so you can imagine what stacking 3 does. I think if shallow grave was nerfed and some of their shroud generation you would see them fall out of favor.

We just gonna throw "golden child" around to try to frame a class we have hangups with as not having received any nerfs for the entirety of time, when the longest it's been is a couple months?

Thieves got nerfed and adapted, and theyre still a pain in your kitten. You don't have to frame it as thieves never getting nerfed. Nobody believes that. 

Thief in it's current dominant form (Specter) is being played like a candy healomancer/dps/condi necro thing. It's just disgusting. 

While I would agree, I'm too immature and petty to get over the fact that people wanted thieves to be more visible, got it, and got smacked with the most cursed monkeys paw. 

For example:

Well, what you are really talking about is spectre which has too many ways to get out of sticky situations. They also have a free res with shallow grave so you can imagine what stacking 3 does. I think if shallow grave was nerfed and some of their shroud generation you would see them fall out of favor.

Remember when stacking 2 thieves was an auto lose? 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Ronald McDonald.8165 said:

Im vote to kill thief. Put it in the Mesmer hole and let Mesmer crawl out.

Nah. If they put thieves in the hole, we're holding onto the Mesmer ankles. 

People really should learn to ask for targeted buffs or specification-specific nerfs that give them options to answer a class matchup gap instead of asking to hit the class overall that they have difficulty against with a nerf.

They should also suggest buffs for the classes they think need nerfs instead of just advocating for nerfs, so those people can still have fun.

Eventually they will find themselves on the chopping block with the people they stole the fun from asking for it back. Nobody gets away with that, because nobody deserves to lose games because of the class they picked, no matter how firmly you all believe it. Years of this cycle with people not learning, just making the game worse to play and hoping the people they force to try harder keep playing the nerfed things so they can finally win one. 

Specter could do with some nerfing, sure. Learn your lesson though.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

People really should learn to ask for targeted buffs or specification-specific nerfs that give them options to answer a class matchup gap instead of asking to hit the class overall that they have difficulty against with a nerf.

They should also suggest buffs for the classes they think need nerfs instead of just advocating for nerfs, so those people can still have fun.

Eventually they will find themselves on the chopping block with the people they stole the fun from asking for it back. Nobody gets away with that, because nobody deserves to lose games because of the class they picked, no matter how firmly you all believe it. Years of this cycle with people not learning, just making the game worse to play and hoping the people they force to try harder keep playing the nerfed things so they can finally win one. 

Specter could do with some nerfing, sure. Learn your lesson though.

There have been pages and pages and pages of well thought out discussion of how to buff Mesmer over the course of years now. Not a single bit of it has mattered. 

Sorry, but a joke about thief getting nerfed into the ground isn’t going to make a difference either. That’s the reality, hope you learned your lesson though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Ronald McDonald.8165 said:

There have been pages and pages and pages of well thought out discussion of how to buff Mesmer over the course of years now. Not a single bit of it has mattered. 

Sorry, but a joke about thief getting nerfed into the ground isn’t going to make a difference either. That’s the reality, hope you learned your lesson though. 

Yes, I know. Only this part was for you.

The rest was general commentary. 

Mhmm why lets see, smoke sealth dodge spam, wait out 6,7,8,9. Evade to stealth, 0 weapon icds (spam). Ability to spam port in and out mobility every other class that has wait for it weapon cool downs that get wasted of your constant port spaming. Oh but I have to initiative manage, oh yes? do you ? is that why you can port in out stealth constantly? 1 initiative per sec doesnt even incude skills/traits that gain it.  If you thief main ONLY andy ou wont get it but if you play agian thieves you will 😃 

Edited by GenerationX.9178
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, GenerationX.9178 said:

Mhmm why lets see, smoke sealth dodge spam, wait out 6,7,8,9. Evade to stealth, 0 weapon icds (spam). Ability to spam port in and out mobility every other class that has wait for it weapon cool downs that get wasted of your constant port spaming. Oh but I have to initiative manage, oh yes? do you ? is that why you can port in out stealth constantly? 1 initiative per sec doesnt even incude skills/traits that gain it.  If you thief main ONLY andy ou wont get it but if you play agian thieves you will 😃 

Um ... what?

Edited by itspomf.9523
why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food of out hot eat the food

I always said this: Nerf thiefs ability to stealth or to dodge not both of course and then straigth buff its dmg. Some people laughed to me cause of this  statement but for Real if you want to see thief made good damage again you absolute need to nerf its stealth or dodge ubtime (while a stealth nerf would be the healthiest way) then buff the damage of maybe backstab and sword/dagger 3 and sword/pistol 3 . Just dont Touch its condi Variant does enough damage allready!