Siege auto-destruct timer is 1h, could be longer

Deployed siege stays for 1 hour without use, then it's auto destroyed.

You can reset it for another 1h by using each siege, enter and leave.

Though, only some players do it, so it's hard to keep all bases ready to defend.

Sieges could stay longer, it would make playing more interesting.

It would give some fighting chance for single defenders.

Also attackers could do something different, fighting a bit with siege, could make some effort to get into a base.

Currently you can just wait when a base is kinda empty and easily take it, exactly the same way as before, so it's boring, with longer siege timer, bases wouldn't be flipped so often and there would be more siege fighting.

Edited by DD39C89C-1C46-4F28-BDB7-49
  • Like 1

I consider 1 hour to be a long time. Any roaming player or a scout with participation should have many opportunities to get around the map doing their stuff and return to fortifications and refreshing the siege. If you post things like "Siege refreshed xx:xx @structure" in map chat  you can tell others when to refresh the siege as well. Those things promote a bigger variety of available play styles and activities on the maps and not just "zerg play" with the biggest blob. You need to work for your defences and you are rewarded for that with a structure that is a bit easier to defend with siege in place.
More siege fighting with siege would happen if ANet returned some siege like ACs (normal & superior), Ballistae and stationary siege like Canons and Oil to something more dangerous for a larger group. Attackers don't even have to move out of the circles of ACs theses days. Boon & reflect skills (and retaliation) make some siege fire laughable.

• Like 2

Yeah I agree, there is nothing fun in refreshing siege and a game need to be fun. A 2-3h timer would be reasonable and would encourage players to build defensive siege. Maybe a good compromise could be to make it longer in bl's only because bl's are most of the time like dead zones. The few bl's scouts and roamers are busy enough running all over the map to check contested objectives or to defend them, lets make their game a bit funnier! 🙂

Edited by manu.7539
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

How about a middle group, leave the timer but give some sort or more visual clue that timer is within 15 mins that makes it more obvious it needs to be refreshed without having to click on it and then hover over the timer. Could be a good QoL.

I like this one. It's annoying coming into wvw for the first time in a month and the first piece of siege you click on is at 7 min and the 2nd one is 30 seconds.

Oh and if it gets down to 5 min then reward the player with,

BADGES!

Edited by Justine.6351

Would putting the timer to 2 hrs provoke people to check on it a lot less than now?

There's still a lot of players that place siege badly, the timer is useful for getting rid of those, especially if you're near siege cap in the area.

I honestly don't even check siege much these days, my guild use to babysit keep upgrades and siege back in the day, don't care anymore, barely does anything to boon balls, only care about the ones to get rid of enemy siege and mortars and cannons are more effective for that.

13 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

There's still a lot of players that place siege badly, the timer is useful for getting rid of those, especially if you're near siege cap in the area.

That's a really big issue, and we're not even counting troll siege.

Maybe superior arrow carts, shield gens, trebs, as well as both golems should last 2 hours. Then at least the crappy siege gets despawned faster. And then maybe guild lasts 3?

They also need to do something about regular arrow carts. It's awful and borderline griefing at times.

I guess it'd be a problem if someone wants to troll with guild siege but if they want to toss that kind of resource in the toilet for extended periods of time, there's not much you can do about it.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480

4 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

That's a really big issue, and we're not even counting troll siege.

Maybe superior arrow carts, shield gens, trebs, as well as both golems should last 2 hours. Then at least the crappy siege gets despawned faster. And then maybe guild lasts 3?

They also need to do something about regular arrow carts. It's awful and borderline griefing at times.

I guess it'd be a problem if someone wants to troll with guild siege but if they want to toss that kind of resource in the toilet for extended periods of time, there's not much you can do about it.

Even superior is absurdly-cheap these days. For me, the most important aspect of a siege rebalance would involve changing the prices of siege.

Perhaps superior blueprints should only be available via a WvW-only currency.

This would have an equally beneficial effect of encouraging players to use vanilla siege - which is what the mode was balanced around in the first place.

Just now, Svarty.8019 said:

Even superior is absurdly-cheap these days. For me, the most important aspect of a siege rebalance would involve changing the prices of siege.

This would have an equally beneficial effect of encouraging players to use vanilla siege - which is what the mode was balanced around in the first place.

But price of seige is dependent on the TP and materials. Especially for guild siege.  And unless you make those materials much more scarce, it won’t change.  

And as long as guild siege is objectively better (either because of reduced supply cost, or increased damage for the same supply cost) than purple and blue siege, then purple and blue siege will be cheaper as less people use them.  

21 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

How about a middle group, leave the timer but give some sort or more visual clue that timer is within 15 mins that makes it more obvious it needs to be refreshed without having to click on it and then hover over the timer. Could be a good QoL.

Add another tier to the WvW abilities for Provision Mastery
T7 Siege Awareness - Marks allied, portable siege on the map, when the decay timer goes below 15 min (20 Ability Points)

Use the blueprint icons (e.g.  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/5/5b/Arrow_Cart_Blueprints.png/40px-Arrow_Cart_Blueprints.png) with a red tint instead of the blue ones.

5 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

At this point they might as well take it out of the game, it's really useless and you can get superior just as easily.

11 minutes ago, Gorani.7205 said:

T7 Siege Awareness - Marks allied, portable siege on the map, when the decay timer goes below 15 min (20 Ability Points)

Use the blueprint icons (e.g.  https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/5/5b/Arrow_Cart_Blueprints.png/40px-Arrow_Cart_Blueprints.png) with a red tint instead of the blue ones.

Not a bad idea.

24 minutes ago, Ausar.9542 said:

players should be refreshing the sieges.  Even in the Alliance beta, people wasnt refreshing SMC sieges. On my own server I ask people to refresh when I take a break, and people still cant do it

Well.. you have to understand... some have been playing for 10 years, it gets annoying to go around refreshing siege especially when you aren't even going to use it yourself... also when an attack comes.. only one person can be on the siege... that's probably useless and all they're doing is tagging people, or the newbie on it is misusing it, like firing off cow shot when enemy siege has already been built.... or not even aiming for siege just players... also... why do people built a massive amount of siege at one gate, but then an attack comes at another gate and it has no siege.... like..... slapmyhead....

I'll start caring about siege again when they make them all have access to boon strip like cannon 1 does.

2 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

Honestly I also think they should expand upon the WvW abilities that can be unlocked. But we need to make sure its diminishing returns for higher level skills so we don't give all advantages to vets. In an ideal world we would have more abilities than points that could be spent so that people needed to choose the role of the toon and what abilities to select, but that's a bigger conversation. This idea would fit that scenario, though I do fear vets are more likely to refresh currently than newer players so not sure if it should be at the end or closer up. Saw a map callout yesterday about someone asking what the timer on the siege was anyway. Saw something similar a few weeks back after making a callout that Earth siege was refreshed and ask peeps to remember to check in about 50 mins since was logging and got something back like check it for what?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Svarty.8019 said:

Superiors being cheap is a good thing. Back then people would get quite upset if stuff flipped and they spent all that gold for defending it.

Granted the current state of defensive siege, it's a big problem.

14 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Honestly I also think they should expand upon the WvW abilities that can be unlocked. But we need to make sure its diminishing returns for higher level skills so we don't give all advantages to vets.

But we have to add the new abilities to the end of existing ones, unless Anet decides to reset the complete skills again (which actually would work, as they have done it before ... I just can't remember the reason why I had to re-set all my skills)

Siege Turtle could work with the abilities, Trap Mastery hasn't be explored yet. Stationary siege could be improved over its sorry current state with another tier of abilities....

If this forum would not be that horrible with search & find old posts, I could dig up more ideas I posted the past years, including the use of the special action key.

Being able to change abilities for those who do not have a lot more than necessary could be solved by resetting points easier at spawn locations.

16 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Honestly I also think they should expand upon the WvW abilities that can be unlocked. 

AKA "WvW used to have potential". Such a shame it's an umpteenth priority. What WvW needs more than anything is to be on a private server or a spin-off game that's got nothing to do with the developers story-driven main game.

1 hour ago, Avion Blade.4869 said:

They should remove the auto-destruct completely; resetting it is a chore that wastes time. If one team allows another to build so much siege, let it be so. 

That would potentially lead to too much trolling. There is a value in it expiring as others above have stated in case of bad placement or if a better grade of siege could have been deployed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avion Blade.4869 said:

They should remove the auto-destruct completely; resetting it is a chore that wastes time. If one team allows another to build so much siege, let it be so. 

As much as I'd like to punish players for placing siege badly, so then leaving it there as a penalty to them until it's destroyed...

You'd probably have the trolls building siege all over in useless places to siege cap places.

• Like 1

We have trolls that will siege cap us with completely useless siege with no chance of it expiring soon if this happens.  It happens now, this would just make it worse.

50 rams

50 golems

100 of every other type combined

That's how many of each siege type is allowed at the same time per map.  And yes, our troll siege caps us on everything but rams often.  Rams at least expire after like 10-15 mins.