Skyscale Requirements is ludicrous [Merged]

If you can't handle the grind then don't do it. 

The dragon is an (optional) prestige mount that is there for those players who want to feel the satisfaction of earning something via hard work. It's the equivalent of Ascended and Legendary equipment. Not everything that exists in the game game should be "easy pickings" just because some people can't be bothered (or don't have the time) to work for it... You want a dragon? Then stop wasting time with excuses and arguments and work for it.

It's a lesson some kids (and adults) nowadays would do well to learn instead of having everything done their way , at the moment they ask for it.

Edited by IvoryOwl.3275
  • Thanks 12
  • Confused 2

I did the skyscale chain when it was first introduced, while working a full time job, and playing two hours or less per day.  So it's more about you wanting to get in there and start instead of throwing up your hands that you can't just pay your way through it.  Ask on maps if you need help, post in LFG for any events or metas you want help with, work on maps when there are dailies and lots of people on them.  Use those resources, and remember it's an MMO.  That's part of the game.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

I did the skyscale chain when it was first introduced, while working a full time job, and playing two hours or less per day.  So it's more about you wanting to get in there and start instead of throwing up your hands that you can't just pay your way through it.  Ask on maps if you need help, post in LFG for any events or metas you want help with, work on maps when there are dailies and lots of people on them.  Use those resources, and remember it's an MMO.  That's part of the game.

same. did a little bit every day and didnt stress and it was a lot of fun. good memories. 

• Like 2

I agree with most of the sentiment here that Skycales are the "peak" acheivement mount, and this coming from someone who gave up on getting it. I didn't give up because it was too hard for me, or I didn't want to put in the time, or I didn't want to put in the effort to learn some new mechanic or puzzle or something. I gave up because it was incredibly boring and seemed like it was wasting my time just to waste my time -- and I play games for FUN.

But that's MMOs, all too often the genre likes to create boring time sinks. GW2 often does things differently -- so many of us enjoy doing Teq, Octovine, Dragonstorm, etc. etc. day after day after day because they're fun. Even less frequented old content still gets enough players doing it on the regular, like say, uh, Dragon Stand, Triple Trouble, because it's FUN! The Skyscale chain was not fun [to me and many].

Anyway, I would prefer that when they make a slog of a thing that they give multiple ways to acheive it. Like you can hand your egg over to an npc to raise the Skyscale for you or something and you get it after waiting 30 days or something. Or you have to prove your worth by killing 100 world bosses, or doing 100 pvp matches, or or or... just some options, please (call it entitled, whatever, we're all here paying for a product).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/4/2022 at 6:39 PM, DarkInfinity.7284 said:

Hey people I know I'm probably gonna get burned or told to get good but not bothered by empty words.

So basically you're starting a discussion, but you're not really open to one (unless people agree)

I never understood that kind  of opening. It already puts the self-doubt first, and I mean if you don't even have the faith in yourself to believe you're right, then why would random strangers have a chance?

This has nothing to do with getting good anyways. It's more that you're already defeating yourself without trying.

For example, you don't actually have to do the world boss-- in that part of the collection, you can use a skyscale treat to bypass it. So this is simply not a reason.

Also Legendary bounty? Was there even one?

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, IvoryOwl.3275 said:

Not everything that exists in the game game should be "easy pickings" just because some people can't be bothered (or don't have the time) to work for it... You want a dragon? Then stop wasting time with excuses and arguments and work for it.

But its is  easy pickingXD. It it just tedious and long. The only requirement is a willingness to waste time on weak content for the reward. I would make a marathon analogy, but a marathon is actually challenging. It I just low effort busy work. 

4 hours ago, IvoryOwl.3275 said:

You want a dragon? Then stop wasting time with excuses and arguments and work for it.

It's a lesson some kids nowadays would do well to learn instead of having everything done their way , at the moment they ask for it.

Ah yes, the younger generation is lazy. A tale as old as ancient Rome. And complete kitten. When people get older and get a sudden rush of dementia forgetting all the kitten they and their brethren have done. Idealizing being unproductive, talking about work ethic in the context of a low effort time sink in a video game. Being busy ≠ Work.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

25 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

It it just tedious and long. The only requirement is a willingness to waste time on weak content for the reward. I would make a marathon analogy, but a marathon is actually challenging. It I just low effort busy work. 

It is only tedious for those who wants it right away without putting in the effort for a premium mount. And there are many who enjoy the quests as can be seen from so many of the comments in this thread alone.

The Skyscale is not needed for most of the achievements. If it's"low effort busy work" and "weak content" to you, then just skip it. Go do those events you enjoy. Skyscales are not required for any of them.

Edited by Silent.6137
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

>game
>hard work
bwahahaha... Those people 🤣

I just finished all masteries for the turtle after weeks of boring grind just because I wanted the extra health for my other mounts and oh my gosh. I see no one complaining about the turtle (which by the way I'm never gonna use again) so I don't want to imagine how freaking boring getting the skywhatever must be.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 11/5/2022 at 9:39 AM, DarkInfinity.7284 said:

Hey people I know I'm probably gonna get burned or told to get good but not bothered by empty words.

I'm just annoyed at the stupid lengthy amount of crap you have to do to get a skyscale mount it's ridiculous the egg energy collection part alone is ludicrous just why it's not even worth the effort to farm and also doesn't help when you don't have the time because I actually have a life so no time, It says on the wiki will take about 3 days to get the mount give or take but give me a year or two and yeah I might be able to get one would be nice if they made the requirements a bit more smaller or even just pay gold for the saddle like 3k gold or something to help people like me that don't have the time to grind all day like others and I definitely want the mount.

Like two of the egg energy collections is do a world boss or legendary bounty, No one on LFG so can't do that and legendary bounty is a 30 min wait and same again no one on LFG etc so makes sense to reduce the requirements 

Ok rant over....

What amazes me is all of these skyscale people running around getting master points and HP on HoT, PoF, EoD.  Did they get some communist Chinese company to play for them, to get skyscale?  I sure as heck don't want to do that quest of mundane forever questing... feels like the old Everquest.  Craziness. 

• Confused 10

It has been made easier TWO. DIFFERENT. TIMES. (Reduction in the timegates and the return-to achievements handing you all the currencies you need for virtually zero effort)
You're expected to put in at least a tiny amount of effort for the most helpful mount in the game, I don't think that's ludicrous and I got mine before either of those additions so you have no idea how much worse it could be.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It's literally easier than doing the griffon. Cheaper too by far. It's honestly not that bad. You even get to play games with it to help it grow. If you do not like the grind then why are you even playing? Guild Wars is full of grinding. If you want brainless easy gaming then go play hay day or something.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Soupeod.5714 said:

What amazes me is all of these skyscale people running around getting master points and HP on HoT, PoF, EoD.  Did they get some communist Chinese company to play for them, to get skyscale?  I sure as heck don't want to do that quest of mundane forever questing... feels like the old Everquest.  Craziness. 

What are you talking about? That doesn't sound like a thing.

10 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

you know who used to think the same? The devs who were fired because the game wasn't making enough money.

No, those Devs got let go because of the side projects ArenaNet had them working on got shut down. Had nothing to do with GW2.

• Like 1

This actually had me stop playing. Not the Skyscale, but the Griffon which also has a trail of collections that you need to do in order to get the mount. I enjoy the storylines, and playing PVE. I wanted to do HoT after PoF , but I kept reading that the Griffon made that a completely different and better experience. Buuut...that looong collection process just turned me off. 

It isn't going to be popular, but I'd really just prefer to buy the mounts with Gems or Gold. At this point I want to get back into the game again, but I'm looking at the new grind for the next flying mount and I'm just saying nope. https://metabattle.com/wiki/Guide:How_to_Get_the_Skyscale_Mount like..you can't be serious with this. This is a page of collections. I would even have preferred a series of quests even, with some story around it. This just seems...very lame and cheap busy work to get mounts which they know everyone will want. 

Just my view, but I wanted to add my voice to this thread on the side of an alternative to the lengthy collection processes

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Astewart.8415 said:

Not the Skyscale, but the Griffon which also has a trail of collections that you need to do in order to get the mount.

The griffon collections are not long; can be completed in a few hours. The downside is the gold sink is greater than for skyscale. So if you just want to "buy" your mout, griffon is perfect.

• Like 2

I think that will be pointless to make faster to get some mounts or even legendaries. What if you can get everything you want in a few days? You'll just quit the game faster because you have less to do. Today i completed the ascended backpack in Draconis Mons, which is considered a tedious and boring grinding collection, but i barely didn't noticed the effort, I just used to complete hearts for druid runestones during the queue for PvP, kinda everyday, usually while chatting with my comrades, and suddenly I found myself having enough of them to complete the collection. No rush, no effort, not at all, just enjoying the time I'm spending here. It's a mental state, nothing more, nothing less. You have a long collection ahead? Dedicate some time on it occasionally and for the rest just play the content you prefer; you don't need the Skyscale immediatly, as for Griffon, as for Legendaries, you can play the whole game or most of it with Exotic stuff, upgraded glider and basic mounts, every long collection is just for comfort, Skyscale above all. I played HoT even without raptor or anything and still I think that was my best time on the game, challenging yes, but I kitten liked that.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, Soupeod.5714 said:

Uh... what? Are you aware mounts are account-wide? So if you make an alt and level or boost them to 80, you still need 250 Hero Points to max out ONE Elite Spec on that character, and yes you can use your mounts to get them.  Hell, I didn't even unlock all three of my elite specs before getting Skyscale, and I think I only had about 150 Mastery Points by the time I unlocked Skyscale, so there was (and still are) plenty of Mastery Points to achieve. 

You think people hiring "communist Chinese companies" to unlock a mount is more likely than someone just unlocking the mount before completing all Mastery and Hero Points in the game? 

All that aside, it's been said to death, but the Skyscale collection isn't even that bad, nor is Griffon. Don't see the bounty you need on LFG? Make a group. Don't want to craft Skyscale food? Just buy it on the TP. People think these collections are horrible and daunting because they're focused on the destination, and Guild Wars 2 is very much meant to be about the journey, instead. 

• Like 2

This is the same lazy argument Mech apologists are making, tbh. Reducing beautiful game design to a matter of pure efficiency, and the inconvenience of not getting their shinies sooner.

Nevermind that the quest is actually quite fun and endearing. That you go around finding baby skyscales, healing sick skyscales, feeding and washing and playing with your skyscale. It's extremely charming when you can pull your kitten out of your kitten and enjoy how GW2 uses mechanics for storytelling.

If you don't get a thrill out of getting a pet to spit out those little hearts at you, YOU DO NOT DESERVE SKYSCALE.

Edited by CourtJester.5908
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Oh and here I thought that was side projects that did not pan out.

4 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

those Devs got let go because of the side projects ArenaNet had them working on got shut down

that's the freaking point! They wasted NCsoft money on kitten instead of fixing the game they already had making people upset which mean no money.

boring people to death with pointless grind in a time when we literally have millions of other options to waste time is idiotic.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1