Making Black Lion Chests salvageable.

Nabbut.7480

56 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I'm not sure about the player benefit...sounds like it would cause the price of Black Lion Chests to skyrocket.  🤷‍♂️

Yup, and the huge quantity available to decrease.

Considering that a few chests are gained daily just from playing, it would serve as another gold redistribution from rich players salvaging them en masse or using keys to poor players selling chest drops.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

The goal is probably to keep chests in overabundance so anyone wanting to buy keys doesn't need to worry about the chests. Implementing what you want works against the reason chests/keys are in the game. So doubt.

Probably there is no goal, just another not much thought about mechanic from Anet.

Consider this: if player is rich enough to buy keys he might as well buy some gold and I doubt that chest price will skyrocket that high.

Edited by SpiderZ.9146
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, SpiderZ.9146 said:

Yup, and the huge quantity available to decrease.

Considering that a few chests are gained daily just from playing, it would serve as another gold redistribution from rich players salvaging them en masse or using keys to poor players selling chest drops.

I wish I got a 'few chests just from playing daily'.  I just had to buy a few dozen to open. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I wish I got a 'few chests just from playing daily'.  I just had to buy a few dozen to open. 

Welp if you are camping the capital instead of doing a field work like me - I got 3 chests yesterday from slaughtering the ponies in Nebo Terrace and doing some world bosses.

Edited by SpiderZ.9146
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, SpiderZ.9146 said:

Probably there is no goal, just another not much thought about mechanic from Anet.

Consider this: if player is rich enough to buy keys he might as well buy some gold and I doubt that chest price will skyrocket that high.

Consider this: if the player wants to splurge for gambling keys, there's no reason for anet to throw additional costs in front of that player.

Also if they wanted you to passively get more loot in the same amount salvaging a chest would get you whenever it drops, they would just increase the loot by that amount. Otherwise, you're free to sell it on tp or throw it out, w/e.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I'm not sure about the player benefit...sounds like it would cause the price of Black Lion Chests to skyrocket.  🤷‍♂️

That's because you are only considering the minority of players who have keys but no chests and need to buy them on the TP.  This would benefit the majority of players by making them higher value for selling on the TP or by allowing them to salvage them instead.  I get lots of chests from regular play but I don't consider that lucky.  For me getting chests is not much better than getting junk trophies.  I already have a full stack in the bank for when I want to use keys.  I sell the excess on the TP.

To be clear, I'm not arguing for this idea.  I'm not against it but I don't see it making sense for Anet to implement it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, SpiderZ.9146 said:

What Sobx said is correct though: this isn't about who can or can't afford the potential new price. It's about keeping the barriers to purchase keys as low as possible. Increasing the cost of Black Lion Chests goes directly against this.

As to the topic at hand:

while it would be more "fun" for players who have no use out of black lion chests (with fun being mostly the equivalent of more value here), there is no direct incentive to the developers to implement this change. As such the chances of seeing it implemented are extremely diminished.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

The price of BL Cheats has been slowly dropping since 2015 or so when they jumped up to 10-11s.  Even 2 years ago I was selling stacks at about 4 silver a chest. I typically get a stack of chests every few months of regular play but they are now reaching a price where it is almost not worth listing them on the TP. 

I’d be okay with a way to salvage chests. We have historically not had any problems with BL Chests being priced as high as 10s for months on end, and I doubt that the price of chests would creep up to 10s again if they were salvageable.   With the price bottoming out so low currently, we will eventually see players destroying stacks of chests rather than putting them on the TP to rot. 

Ultimately the OP is perhaps a little early to complain about what to do with excess BL Chests, but the question is valid. Can we get a way to salvage chests, a chest gobbler or even a vendor price for BL Chests. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This is a good idea, and the release could coincide with  2023 1st Apr.

BLCs should be salvageable to yield green wood planks and chance of a key at  [68/(125/400x1250000/0.8)x100%) = 0.014%

Would that sound good to you? Because that probably wouldn't be that far off from how they might peg it if they designed it on a Monday morning 9am.

On 11/7/2022 at 12:14 AM, SpiderZ.9146 said:

Gameplay reasons? Same reasons they made gear salvageable and food compostable.

It's not the same though. You're suggesting that you can salvage them for a chance of a key. That will do two things: they will sell fewer keys and black lion chests will increase in price on the TP since the supply will go down a LOT.

Neither of which is desireable for Anet if you think about it.

So just stating "gameplay reasons" is a non-answer really. You would have to list the specific advantages for Anet and compare it to the disadvantages for Anet. And as of yet you haven't given any advantage for Anet.

So please let us know how "gameplay reasons" are an advantage for Anet?

• Like 2