How do I play wvw with my friends?

Kstyle.5829

Requiring people to be on the same server is ridiculous.  How can you convince like 10 people you've known for years to all go to the same server just for WvW? That seems like an unfair cash grab. We can do every other game online together and everything in gw but this one thing.  

Edited by Kstyle.5829
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 7

14 minutes ago, Kstyle.5829 said:

I have a bunch of friends both in real life and in game I've known since playing for the last 10 years from pvp and pve but when we try to play WvW none of us are together.  We are all on different servers, now do we ALL have to be on the same server to play WvW together?  We invested alot of time and gold grinding gear and getting ready to get into this and now it seems like we can't.  Everyone moving to 1 server just for WvW isn't going to be an option.  I can't ask over 10 people to pay money to come to my server.   If that's the way it works its unfortunate. I'm already at a point where this game is to much work for the amount of responsibilities I have in life.  If this is the case just let me know I'm not gonna play anymore since we can just all play any other game together like overwatch.  Nobody is interested in leaving their home server just to play WvW, I'm the only person who really was interested in getting into it that much and it's going to be a deal breaker.  

Yes that is what you have to do at this moment.

They are working on alliances tho that will make it guild centric instead but we dont know when they will be done with that.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You've played this game for the last 10 years with others and just finding out that you must be on the same server for WvW?  What happened 10 years ago when you had to be on the same server to play PvE without guesting??

Wops good question mate 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

but it seems the playerbase won't stop dumping vitrol on the developers for even trying.

Consider that an element of the playerbase has been playing WvW with others on the same server for many hours a week for ten years. Is it understandable that they might be resistant to a fundamental realignment like Alliances? I only play a couple of hours a week, mostly at reset, but I have missed the familiar faces during Beta weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

Consider that an element of the playerbase has been playing WvW with others on the same server for many hours a week for ten years. Is it understandable that they might be resistant to a fundamental realignment like Alliances? I only play a couple of hours a week, mostly at reset, but I have missed the familiar faces during Beta weeks.

I was nervous about alliances because I've been on Desolation since launch so it's the only server I've ever played WvW on and having heard the way some people talk about WvW I thought my relatively positive experience may be due to the server and I was going to lose that when alliances come in (I don't think I play WvW enough for a dedicated guild to take me).

But my experiences in the betas have all been fine. If I didn't know a beta was running and didn't see all the chatter about which servers everyone is from I wouldn't know anything was different. I was able to find open tags to join who were actually claiming and defending objectives instead of just farming another squad, no one got kicked for trivial mistakes and chat was no worse than usual.

It was different not seeing the usual commanders and not knowing based on the names what to expect from the ones I did see, but I think I'll get used to that, and may end up in a regular alliance where I get to know people again.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

From what I've seen these have largely been players who want to stick around with their 2500+member superguilds. which is not something that should've existed to begin with, especially in competitive.

Did you know ViP has so many members they can't fit it in all five guild slots?

Limits exist for a reason, because smaller guilds have to have a chance at having members. Limits also help prevent a significant amount of manipulation from occurring.

I've played a few Realm Vs Realm (RvR) games besides this one, and trust me when I say the game will not only be alot healthier once servers are gone, but also when it encourages smaller communities and tactics that don't involve flooding the entire map queue (Maguuma) and so on.

Its nice that people value the power of friendship so much, but this is a video game, not an anime. Plus, the server system is traditionally a roadblock to playing with friends if you don't have alot of money to throw at transfers, not the opposite. Its well-known for being a cash grab, of all things.

What players talk about when they bring up topics like server pride, etc., we call privilege, and many of us simply don't benefit from alot of the "positives" of the current system, and never did.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If you guys are real friends it should not be a problem to buy some gems for a one time transfer to gather all up.

the amount of gems also can be farmed in pve and be bought with gold then. Most servers dont require even much gems to transfer to so with some daily fractals, strike and meta farms you guys should quickly be there. If you are 10 friends you can do the content even together.

Medium - 500 gems

High - 1000 gems

Very High - 1800 gems

As you see not that much actually.

also you can check with their friends if they maybe have the one time free server transfer still available. If some of them just got the game they might not have used the free transfer yet and be able to change the server for free.

in the future alliance system there will be possibilities to get together for free.

Edited by roederich.2716
  • Like 2

On 12/14/2022 at 2:57 AM, costepj.5120 said:

It's an illusion because it's not descriptive of people who have been playing with others on the same server for many hours a week for ten years.  Very few of those people who I remember from 10 years ago on my server remain as the others have left either for other servers or left the game entirely.  And every once in awhile one of those old faces pops back into the game for a few weeks and then leaves again.

What's ironic is during beta coming across some familiar faces that used to be on my server.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, costepj.5120 said:

I've never heard of ViP; is it a North American guild? We have nothing like that on Piken!

The most majestic guild led by the most majestic pumpkin head norn. Some say on Inc they stand still and pray to their forefathers while trying to wp out of the heathen battlefield

• Confused 1

500 gems is like 180 gold though? Hardly a cash grab. Or $6.25 if you have no gold. Also the first transfer is free.

And honestly, if playing with your friends for an indefinite period of time is not worth $6.25, then that's not really much of a friendship to begin with.

Like, if any of you have built a legendary and won't even spend 1/10th the resources on a friend, then it's very clear where your priorities are.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, roederich.2716 said:

If you guys are real friends it should not be a problem to buy some gems for a one time transfer to gather all up.

the amount of gems also can be farmed in pve and be bought with gold then. Most servers dont require even much gems to transfer to so with some daily fractals, strike and meta farms you guys should quickly be there. If you are 10 friends you can do the content even together.

Medium - 500 gems

High - 1000 gems

Very High - 1800 gems

As you see not that much actually.

also you can check with their friends if they maybe have the one time free server transfer still available. If some of them just got the game they might not have used the free transfer yet and be able to change the server for free.

in the future alliance system there will be possibilities to get together for free.

Its a bit different when your guild is on a nearly perpetually full server and in order to play with your new friend you need to transfer a lot of people off your current server to play with that one friend. Guild based matchmaking cant come soon enough. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Idk what kind of solution you're looking for out of this.

If you're asking to be able to have friends to play on the same team despite being on different servers. Well I can just imagine how well the servers and routers will run trying to reach convergence for every single user during a SMC 3-way. WvW is compartmentalized by server to prevent bandwidth/data overflow. It also gives a constant to work with. 

If you're asking it to work like PvE/PvP servers then expect forced server hops every couple of hours. And to keep everyone and everything on the same page w/o resetting the map for the entire week would require some black magic.

If you're asking for transfers to be cheap/free, then I can easily see how that can be abused on more competitive servers/guilds. 

4 hours ago, Draygo.9473 said:

Its a bit different when your guild is on a nearly perpetually full server and in order to play with your new friend you need to transfer a lot of people off your current server to play with that one friend. Guild based matchmaking cant come soon enough. 

usually its not the complete guild to transfer then but the "new friend" is gonna transfer to the link server then and that is in most cases indeed only 500 gems what equals 180 gold. Most guilds even throw this together then as its not much. In a 10 man guild like op meantioned it be 18 gold only per member then to get the "new friend" to play with them.

when it comes to "we poor people are only cashed off by the big cash grab and cant play the game with all of our friends" its always the case that if one presents the real cost numbers the whole thread is getting suddently obsolete in a second indeed.

I rather think these players who from time to time claim they "cant play the game with friends cause this and those its too expensive" are not players who want to reach out for any real friends but are rather people who just dont want to spend cash on all their alt-accounts which they call "friends" in the forum then. cause "cant play with all my friends" sounds more heart-softening than telling the truth that one dont wants to spend the cash again on all alts...

so these guys think they can tell some heart-softening story and get something for free then.

the proof show the cost numbers, your friends arent worth 6 dollars to transfer servers? 180 gold cant be put together by all these "friends" ???????

On 12/14/2022 at 2:46 PM, Kstyle.5829 said:

Requiring people to be on the same server is ridiculous.  How can you convince like 10 people you've known for years to all go to the same server just for WvW? That seems like an unfair cash grab. We can do every other game online together and everything in gw but this one thing.  

You befriended enemies!! traitor! 

/run

On 12/14/2022 at 12:27 PM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

To be fair servers are a bad idea that should've disappeared many years ago. Alliances will do just that, but it seems the playerbase won't stop dumping vitrol on the developers for even trying.

Serverless WvW might work for a month or two but then people will just stop logging in. It is just stranger after stranger with no long term goal or reason to stick through bad times (..or get out of them permanently by transferring).

Even if you have some tryhard commander still tagging up, he will just arrive on empty maps and have to conjure people and enemies from nowhere. Almost everyone will be a noob since there will be no long term servermates to train.

Longetivity is a key, do you really see WvW with alliances survive more than 2 years? How do you make a new "strong group"? Why would you capture things? Why would you train people? Does everyone want same environment since each server is inherently different but alliances will just randomness and very similar anywhere you go?

Alliances are garbage that will convert WvW into another generic Arena PvP game: something people try out for couple of weeks raging at random teammates and  then forget.

Edited by Riba.3271
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Riba.3271 said:

Serverless WvW might work for a month or two but then people will just stop logging in. It is just stranger after stranger with no long term goal or reason to stick through bad times (..or get out of them permanently by transferring).

Even if you have some tryhard commander still tagging up, he will just arrive on empty maps and have to conjure people and enemies from nowhere. Almost everyone will be a noob since there will be no long term servermates to train.

Longetivity is a key, do you really see WvW with alliances survive more than 2 years? How do you make a new "strong group"? Why would you capture things? Why would you train people? Does everyone want same environment since each server is inherently different but alliances will just randomness and very similar anywhere you go?

Alliances are garbage that will convert WvW into another generic Arena PvP game: something people try out for couple of weeks raging at random teammates and  then forget.

Except Alliances are just a grouping mechanism.  

If you theoretically had an alliance with no guilds, it would be essentially the server structure we have now.  Everyone just runs around, maybe follows a tag, but mostly AFKs at spawn.

With Alliances you can at least group like-minded guilds together.  Or even less than that, just let people play with their friends by being in the same guild.

I mean the tldr; here is that server pride hasn't been a thing for 6-7 years now.  Since that point we've been operating in what you call 'serverless WvW'; the server is a name only to be freely bandwagoned to depending on what tier anets manual relinks put you in.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I mean the tldr; here is that server pride hasn't been a thing for 6-7 years now.  Since that point we've been operating in what you call 'serverless WvW'; the server is a name only to be freely bandwagoned to depending on what tier anets manual relinks put you in.  

Well, that is you generalizing opinions of people around you to everyone. Most people haven't transferred and love coming in and chatting with old friends even if they haven't been on for a year. Hating enemy servers and learning their timezones is also big incentiviser for people to log in.

19 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

With Alliances you can at least group like-minded guilds together.  Or even less than that, just let people play with their friends by being in the same guild.

Yes, alliances have only 1 positive point and it is ability for PvE guilds to come together to try out WvW for free. For WvW guilds it is just worse since they can already be on same server together: Same server with standardized amount of pugs, so it will never be best, 2nd best, 3rd best, 4th best or even 5th best environment your guild can choose, since you have no choice anymore.

Voice comms are also one point all of you alliance lovers are overlooking. You think your announcements of tagging up will reach anyone that isn't already in that discord and your alliance will bother to advertise discord more than 2 messages a week?? You think pugs want to look for open tags from 6 different discord servers? Essentially all will happen is that you will only be playing with people that are in your alliance and thats it. You will never be able to build an alliance as new player with no connections. You will be completely reliant on enemy alliance showing up to get decent fights since there will be no more public voice commanders.

So have fun with less fights, more pugs and less people joining voice 😘 Slowly the starting alliances will dwindle out and there will be no new ones.

Edited by Riba.3271
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 12/14/2022 at 10:27 AM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

To be fair servers are a bad idea that should've disappeared many years ago. Alliances will do just that, but it seems the playerbase won't stop dumping vitrol on the developers for even trying.

The beta's may be resolving things in the background for devs, but to the end user it just seems to split friends and scatter to the winds.

But what do I know... the friends in several guilds I know now use Beta time as a time off from game. They've become disillusioned with alliances, fearful of the overall perceived incompetence in implementing it, and have zero trust/faith it'll be what those players wanted.

Which was just to sort out server imbalances. I mean, so far the beta's have shown same imbalances - so the thought it it's just going to be the same crap but with friends all separated. 

Edited by Chips.7968
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/16/2022 at 4:41 PM, Riba.3271 said:

Well, that is you generalizing opinions of people around you to everyone. Most people haven't transferred and love coming in and chatting with old friends even if they haven't been on for a year. Hating enemy servers and learning their timezones is also big incentiviser for people to log in.

What server? 

I'm on Darkhaven and there have been so many transfers to and from the server in the past five years it's ridiculous.  

The only enemy server people seem to hate is Mag... which is an incentive to not log in when we face them.