I camp GS and can't figure out what class to "main".

Arklite.4013

It's silly to make this kind of post when I already have 2500+ hours in GW2, but I find myself stuck with this identity crisis every time I play this game. I'm currently stuck between Ranger, Rev, and Warrior. (I think Guardian and Necro just don't do it for me right now, and Mesmer isn't my cup of tea) The long and short of it is I play all game modes and want it to be serviceable there. I know this is probably true for all 3 of the classes I mentioned, but here are some other points.

Most of my playtime is some combination of OW/solo content (probably the majority of my playtime), Fractals, and sPvP. I want to be able to hit guys with a big sword in all of these modes without it being too much worse than a good build. My understanding is that any of these are viable in the circumstances I mentioned, so I'm mostly just looking for advice and anecdotal evidence from other players.

From my perspective, some pros and cons of each. Please correct me if any of these are incorrect, as I suspect some of them are basically skill issues:

Warrior (Spellbreaker)

+ Really survivable

+ Lots of easily-accessible CC

+ Even better since the recent buffs (not that warrior being bad ever stopped me from playing it before)

- No good ranged option

- Damage requires "ramping up" (ex. building adrenaline, or GS2 takes a while (esp. compared to ranger or revenant)

Ranger (Soulbeast)

+ Good ranged option

+ High, convenient up-front burst damage

+ Decent access to CC

- Middling condi cleanse

- Squishy/lacking survivability unless sacrificing damage

- Do not like nature theme

Revenant (Vindicator)

+ Probably the "best" option

+/- No great ranged option, somewhat mitigated by Alliance stance

+/- Condi cleanse options are few and far between, partially mitigated with skill

- Hard to survive/squishy?

- No innate movement speed (without using something like Impossible Odds, but then you're sacrificing either Alliance or Jalis), partially mitigated by Rapid Flow & otherwise good mobility

- Middling CC

- Hard/I am not used to it

- Don't really love the dudes talking in my head

I already know the best choice is the one that I like the most or something. I just want people to push their opinions on me.

• Confused 1

Not having to main any one profession is one of the best points about GW2, so don't force yourself to do so.

As for GS, my favourite ones are Guardian's and Mesmer's.

I never use Warrior's and Vindicator's (because I don't play the discount dragoon at all) and I rarely use GS on my Rangers.

On Reaper, I only use it due to the lack of other melee power weapons.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 2

I always hated GS on warrior, the movement-lock on hundret-blades made it unplayable for me (axt+axt for power (or sword+axt for cele/condie) is so much better on warrior 🙂 )

My GS/LB-Ranger (first core, now soulbeast) has played all openworld, story, fraktals till t3, strikes (no CM, still from time to time) over the 10 years of GW2 and it still works, even if it is not top-dps (but axt-5 on ranger, has the same problem for me as GS on warrior, i hate the movement-lock).

Mesmer and now Virtuose can easily camp on GS, but on Virtuoso I like dagger+sword more.

Edited by Dayra.7405

I can't make these gretasword users better at the game, but on the other way I can maybe ease your obsession with big swords:

* Historically swords have been a side weapon (like pistols in modern armies) with very limited performance once your foe wears any kind of armor (even cloth as gambeson heavily reduces the chances to deliver fatal wounds from swords). 

* Before the arrival of gunpowder, most of the work in battles were done with spears or bows & arrows. If the armors included chain mail and full metal plates you'll rely on halbards, poleaxes, maces and hammers to deliver significant damage. And if you still want edged weapons, things as dane axes or bardiches were still overall better vs arnored foes.

* Both literature, cinema and other arts have delve and fall in this obsession for the overrrated swords, from the mytihical Excalibur and the sobrenatural ability of katanas to cut any substance or the appealing of the rapier duels in the romanticism... And lately the childish fixation with "even bigger" (see at Pretty Hate Machining Youtube channel the host forging a 150 Kg replica of Gut's Dragonslayer sword from Berserker -He previously did a 16 Kg version of the "classic age" model- ). That bullcrap just has to stop: swords were essentially overrated toys with very niche military aplications and modern fencing would be as effective in historical combat as karate katas in modern MMA...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

The only build where I personally actually like playing GS and it's reasonably effective, is power vindicator. The rotation is super easy. Just swap to assassin's legend, activate the toggle skill, and play whack-a-mole on the GS skills. When you run out of energy, swap to dwarf stance, activate its toggle skill, and play whack-a-mole then until out of energy. Rinse and repeat. You'll get over 30k DPS with that easily, and if you get infusions and practice a bit, maybe even 33-34k, which is actually quite a lot for what's essentially an LI build.

For the ranged option and additional CC I have hammer as 2nd weapon, which has 1200 range on rev. It won't do much damage, but if you are doing open world, it will give you enough damage at range to tag mobs during events or kite champions around should you need to.

Guardian could probably be pushed to 30k+ while camping GS too, but the last time I tried (about a year ago with dragonhunter) it was not quite there, and I haven't tested it since.

If you pick ranger, you're probably better off using axes+war horn or longbow.

Don't have enough experience with the other classes to give you any useful feedback.

• Like 1

Any PvP form will require you to switch weapons constantly. The 3 options you mentioned work, but there way more going on than just GS.

Focusing on PvE (mainly OP), I would personally rate them as follows Vindicator = Ranger > warrior. Vindicator will deal the highest damage. Has significant survivability through evades, healing and blocks. You even can use alliance as ranged dps. What you lack is CC.

Ranger also has solid damage, solid survivability and diversity between what elite to use, with Soul Beast. No real down side hear, except lack of range, which can be covered by the other weapons.

Warrior is also good, but has a ramp-up. And while warrior can have great survivability, it comes at a dps cost. Much of the Vindicator and Ranger survivability is built into the dps builds. 

16 hours ago, Arklite.4013 said:

Revenant (Vindicator)

+ Probably the "best" option

+/- No great ranged option, somewhat mitigated by Alliance stance

+/- Condi cleanse options are few and far between, partially mitigated with skill

- Hard to survive/squishy?

- No innate movement speed (without using something like Impossible Odds, but then you're sacrificing either Alliance or Jalis), partially mitigated by Rapid Flow & otherwise good mobility

- Middling CC

- Hard/I am not used to it

- Don't really love the dudes talking in my head

I already know the best choice is the one that I like the most or something. I just want people to push their opinions on me.

From all your choices, Vindicator is the best at camping GS. You don't even need to swap. It has the easiest rotation for high DPS. 

Ranged option : What is stopping you switching to Hammer when you need to range ?

Condi cleanse : On Jalis Soothing Stone and on Saint Viktor's Alliance Stance Tree Song. Both clear 5 conditions.

Survivability : Save GS4 (Imperial Guard) for Block and don't use your dodge twice in a row.

Movement speed : Rapid Flow + GS leap and Alliance leap. 

CC : Use Staff, Jalis chains and Shiro Ulti. Reaver's Rage

Edited by Krispera.5087
  • Like 2

Push my opinions on you, you say? Well...

Reaper (Necromancer) has become actually good recently. It has:

• Damage/Burst Potential
  • Crowd Control
  • Free Quickness/Good Fury and Might Uptime (Even more so if you take Dread instead of Close to Death for solo play)
  • Survivability
  • Good sustain (Even more so if dagger is your second main-hand option)
  • Boon hate
  • Easy 25 Vulnerability Stacks on anything tanky
  • Condi Transfer (if staff is your secondary)/Cleanse

It does have some flaws though.

• Poor (Power) Range Options
  • Ramps up
  • Mediocre Mobility (shroud 2 is basically all of it)
  • Poor Evasion
  • Requires minimum use of 2 signets, preferably 3

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PS1AEh3lRw0YesLWJO6WlNbA-zRRYihLfOqXGhRVqmVVmPEx45PpCohCnWgKA-e

Much of this build is switching between Greatsword and Shroud, so you can easily choose between having staff as a range secondary, dagger/focus or dagger/warhorn, or even axe and one of those off-hands, though I wouldn't recommend it.

• Thanks 1

You could play like I do which is use one class for PvE and another for PvP.

With that in mind maybe Ranger or Warrior for PvP and Revenant for PvE. The reason I say that is Revenant can preform any role and in particular any DPS Support role. 

Ranger can be played at a distance with many options for that playstyle and Warrior can be played very close with many options so you could even play Ranger for WvW and Warrior for sPvP. 

The greatsword is a weapon of great importance in the land of Tyria. For what is the visage of a hero without a sword? You look upon that champion, foot mounted upon the slain beast that had once terrorized the innocents, blood dripping down his resplendent armor, dulling and muddying it in a manner that seamlessly blends the nobility and  savagery of the knight, and held high in the air, to signal triumph and hope to those who have been liberated from their terror, is...a mace? No. An axe? No. A bow? NO! It is a sword! Not just any sword. A sword whose blade reaches high into the heavens, and whose handle extends far down the forearm of its fearsome wielder. It is a greatsword!

And what professions is this admirable individual? There is no beast by his side or noxious green cloud of light surrounding him, not a ranger. He be not troubled by the voices of the dead, not a revenant. The dead do not come to his aid and terrify those who look upon, not a necromancer, and he is not restricted from taking the actions necessary to grow, not a guardian. No. The only one capable of standing at the pinnacle of achievement, the only one worthy of being remembered for their conquest, the one who fights not for others, not even for themselves, but for possibility of becoming greater than themselves in their endless pursuit of a higher state that the others have been barred from for relying upon others to cover their inadequacies. Yes, you long since have known, it is the Warrior who stands atop the conquest, the warrior who overcomes the evil, the warrior who lays low the righteous. 

For warrior the warrior is riddled with weakness. But it is only through a constant press forward, eyes fixated on the personal incompetence that others turn their head from, that warrior makes their weaknesses their weapons, sharpens the blade of their heart so that it too may be used to lay low the warrior's enemies, may pierce through the defenses of those who steel their heart and accept their weakness as a shackle that cannot be cast off. My brother, do not fall to this weakness! You are strong, capable of wielding the blade that shall one day tear the universe asunder. We need not defenses, we need not security, we are warriors! We shall press on, sacrificing our body, sacrificing our mind, for the pursuit of whatever may lie over the horizon, and the horizon beyond that horizon. For the flesh is weak, and the mind unnecessary. Sanity is but a luxury of those who shroud themselves in the comfort, but is a death sentence to those who seek out a place that lies beyond reason, beyond rationality. We are warriors, we shall fight on through the day, and when the lights grow dim we shall renew our efforts and push through the darkness. No matter how many may stand before us, no matter how many may tell us to stand down, to go home, to back away, even if the gods themselves come to stop us, we shall fight until we reach our glorious death in the place beyond the beyond. For none shall stand in our way, no number of candles shall match the radiance of the sun that is our soul, no amount of hunger can match the depraved bloodlust that wells up deep within our sternum, one that pulls us forward on an endless pursuit of conquest. Come, my brother, you have your weapon, now take it up and walk along the path of the warrior, as we cut through reality, we venture out to the places others dare not even imagine, as we slaughter our enemies and bathe in the blood of those foolish enough to stand before us. Come, my brother, light thine soul ablaze and burn down the forest, for you too are a warrior!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/21/2022 at 6:17 PM, Buran.3796 said:

I can't make these gretasword users better at the game, but on the other way I can maybe ease your obsession with big swords:

* Historically swords have been a side weapon (like pistols in modern armies) with very limited performance once your foe wears any kind of armor (even cloth as gambeson heavily reduces the chances to deliver fatal wounds from swords). 

* Before the arrival of gunpowder, most of the work in battles were done with spears or bows & arrows. If the armors included chain mail and full metal plates you'll rely on halbards, poleaxes, maces and hammers to deliver significant damage. And if you still want edged weapons, things as dane axes or bardiches were still overall better vs arnored foes.

* Both literature, cinema and other arts have delve and fall in this obsession for the overrrated swords, from the mytihical Excalibur and the sobrenatural ability of katanas to cut any substance or the appealing of the rapier duels in the romanticism... And lately the childish fixation with "even bigger" (see at Pretty Hate Machining Youtube channel the host forging a 150 Kg replica of Gut's Dragonslayer sword from Berserker -He previously did a 16 Kg version of the "classic age" model- ). That bullcrap just has to stop: swords were essentially overrated toys with very niche military aplications and modern fencing would be as effective in historical combat as karate katas in modern MMA...

Well, I agree to an extent that spears and polearms/poleaxes etc should be more representative in games because of their reach capabilities. What I don't think is that they have to stop with it in media. They just have to include other weapons more in it instead. Because personally I love greatswords that are unrealistic with their weight being carried by a small human girl or cat-girl. I think that stuff looks awesome when magic is involved in it because magic solves all the weight problems and everything that comes with a sword that size. 

Now, if the game was more realistic focused then sure it would bug me more if saw it because it would be breaking its own internal rules. But if the game has any type of magic at all then I am ok with it because magic can beat any level of physics involved with wearing and swinging it.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 10:17 AM, Buran.3796 said:

You forget about greatswords and claymores that were used, though often as blunt weapons ironically enough.

18 hours ago, Serephen.3420 said:

You forget about greatswords and claymores that were used, though often as blunt weapons ironically enough.

I'm aware about some mercenary regiments succesfully using flamberges and other gs variants against pike formations, but that were more exceptions than the norm across the history. Not like has any relevance in a high fantasy mmo which combines the use of torches with magitech. My point was just a joke about how swords are as overrated in media as underrated are armors and shields.

The only class that can camp greatsword without a severe DPS loss is Power Berserker. Everything else either has to weaponswap to maintain their damage, or the Reaper has to enter shroud.

This is because the 1-5 skills aren't enough, but the Berserker's F1 and F2 bridge the gap. Even so make sure you're still taking two greatswords so you can weaponswap and get the sigil and trait bonuses, which are extremely useful especially on Warrior.

For GS2's duration use Quickness, and for adrenaline "ramp up" use an instant fill like Headbutt.

You should consider Bladesworn. Their gunsaber is very similar to a greatsword and is much more useful, you can camp it pretty much 24/7 with the right build and weaponswap to greatsword for GS2 when all your ammunitions are on cooldown. Its usually DPS #2 in the party (or #1 with cleave).

I can post my gunsaber+greatsword low intensity build if you want.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, souleeter.5129 said:

Would you mind posting you build?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKiAERllyWZqsJmLO6S1xVA-zxQYhg3RFrMqNFqoCMZOyfBA-e

This is mostly a group build, and is crit-capped. For solo play Phalanx Strength should be swapped out for Martial Cadence, otherwise it should be left to help with Might uptime.

Its considered low intensity compared to the meta build, as the rotation is considerably easier.

Skill flow:

Use 6,7,8 all at the same time, in that order as their casting will overlap..

Unsheath gunsaber, use 1-5 until you're up to half flow..

Enter Dragon Trigger..

In a dangerous situation cast 4 then 5 away from the opponent, fully charge, then use 2, then gunsaber 5 after.

In a safe situation cast 4 then 5 at the target's location, fully charge, then use 1.

Once you've exited Dragon Trigger, use 6,7,8 again (only once per Dragon Trigger)..

Enter Dragon Trigger off-cooldown every time..

When out of ammunition use Tactical Reload (0)..

Sometimes you'll run completely out of ammunition, weaponswap and use greatsword 2.

Use gunsaber 5, and greatsword 3 and 5 for movement and Stability spam. Brave Stride and Dragonscale Defense is what carries the build, making the player almost completely immune to CC.

You can move to avoid AoEs while using all gunsaber skills, as they have no rooting.

It sounds a bit complicated but is extremely easy to pull off (just a bit of muscle memory), and you'll do extreme DPS in cleaving situations and moderate DPS against single targets.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1

I'd say go with warrior.

Numbers can change, but from what you wrote you don't like the aesthetic theme of both ranger and revenant.
I feel like that's probably more important in the long run.
Especially for revenant since gs is packed in an elite spec, while at least with warrior and ranger you could potentially also have new specs to try with gs in the future

1 hour ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKiAERllyWZqsJmLO6S1xVA-zxQYhg3RFrMqNFqoCMZOyfBA-e

This is mostly a group build, and is crit-capped. For solo play Phalanx Strength should be swapped out for Martial Cadence, otherwise it should be left to help with Might uptime.

Its considered low intensity compared to the meta build, as the rotation is considerably easier.

Skill flow:

Use 6,7,8 all at the same time, in that order as their casting will overlap..

Unsheath gunsaber, use 1-5 until you're up to half flow..

Enter Dragon Trigger..

In a dangerous situation cast 4 then 5 away from the opponent, fully charge, then use 2, then gunsaber 5 after.

In a safe situation cast 4 then 5 at the target's location, fully charge, then use 1.

Once you've exited Dragon Trigger, use 6,7,8 again (only once per Dragon Trigger)..

Enter Dragon Trigger off-cooldown every time..

When out of ammunition use Tactical Reload (0)..

Sometimes you'll run completely out of ammunition, weaponswap and use greatsword 2.

Use gunsaber 5, and greatsword 3 and 5 for movement and Stability spam. Brave Stride and Dragonscale Defense is what carries the build, making the player almost completely immune to CC.

You can move to avoid AoEs while using all gunsaber skills, as they have no rooting.

It sounds a bit complicated but is extremely easy to pull off (just a bit of muscle memory), and you'll do extreme DPS in cleaving situations and moderate DPS against single targets.

This is a really fun build, thank you. It flows nicely (even though I don't have the right gear as in the build).

• Thanks 1

GS Vindicator

Salv/Invo/Vindi

Shiro/Alliance

GS, Sword/Axe (can go staff if surviving is an issue)

Extreme sustain, amazing mobility, crazy damage for going kinda defensive traits, good boons.

Only weakness is immob, which you can build either with Deva instead of Salv or just manage your cleanse properly.

Between Salv, sigil of cleansing, cleansing on legend swap, Battle dance into tree song and shiro stunbreak, you should be mostly fine.

Gameplay is all about "jumping" on the enemies and confusing them/make them panic. 

Warrior is too kitten slow for this, Willbender with GS competes and might overpower due to the busted virtues it has. 

edit: as for ranger, look no further than boonbeast, but it's quite the kite gameplay so it gets boring quickly unless a ranger enthusiast.

Edited by Grand Marshal.4098