4 improvements the game absolutely needs

On 1/9/2023 at 12:44 AM, Kyzonu.7504 said:

4 - ability to inspect people's gear and build

I personally wouldn’t mind that, I have good gear and play meta builds. But I fear that this will lead to bad behavior. The game doesn’t need this, never struggled to complete content with pug groups, I wouldn’t join pug raids though. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Gear inspect can be opt-in, if you want to hide your super duper pro builds from the hoi polloi.

I'd wager that inability to check suitability *in any way* is a greater barrier to accepting people into PUGs, and that it dwarfs any potential """"toxicity"""" added by gear check, opt-in or not.

You lose.

1.  DDO:  Cleric spends 15 minutes crying about my artificer's HP, I had 298 instead of the minimum 300 she figured one had to have to run the quest, totally ignoring my little robot dog, that had 1500ish HP.  I finally dropped the group and ran the quest solo.  I finished the quest before they did, according to a guildmate that was in the group, that cleric was the first one to die.

2.  SWTOR:  A DPS sage spent 10 minutes crying about the Healer's gear.  An inspect showed that this sage had all the right gear, all NM rated, and yet, on the very first very telegraphed boss one shot kill laser, the sage stood there and died in it.

3.  SWTOR:  A Story mode Operation requiring NM rated gear and the achievement for completing the Op.  This was quite common, but it doesn't signify what the posters would seem to think, because to me it screams "WE NEED TO BE CARRIED".

Gear =/= skill.  One can very easily be carried to "all the right stuff", but one cannot be carried to "L2P".

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

You lose.

1.  DDO:  Cleric spends 15 minutes crying about my artificer's HP, I had 298 instead of the minimum 300 she figured one had to have to run the quest, totally ignoring my little robot dog, that had 1500ish HP.  I finally dropped the group and ran the quest solo.  I finished the quest before they did, according to a guildmate that was in the group, that cleric was the first one to die.

2.  SWTOR:  A DPS sage spent 10 minutes crying about the Healer's gear.  An inspect showed that this sage had all the right gear, all NM rated, and yet, on the very first very telegraphed boss one shot kill laser, the sage stood there and died in it.

3.  SWTOR:  A Story mode Operation requiring NM rated gear and the achievement for completing the Op.  This was quite common, but it doesn't signify what the posters would seem to think, because to me it screams "WE NEED TO BE CARRIED".

Gear =/= skill.  One can very easily be carried to "all the right stuff", but one cannot be carried to "L2P".

...I have seen Voices in the Void stumble and fall into the sands in W7 time and again.

And?

You lose? 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

...I have seen Voices in the Void stumble and fall into the sands in W7 time and again.

And?

You lose? 

So, this addresses my comment how, exactly?  I could spend a couple of days typing out examples of the "toxicity" generated by gear inspection, but these suffice to show that just because someone has the gear and/or achievements doesn't mean they're "good enough" for the group.  Maybe it hits a little too close to home for you?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

So, this addresses my comment how, exactly?  I could spend a couple of days typing out examples of the "toxicity" generated by gear inspection, but these suffice to show that just because someone has the gear and/or achievements doesn't mean they're "good enough" for the group.  Maybe it hits a little too close to home for you?

You started off with a hosile tone, and I ignore it, but now I see it was a mistake.

Good day.

• Confused 2

1 - the ability to move and resize UI elements

i like having my skill bar close to the middle of the screen (right under my character) so i can track my cooldowns without having to look all the way down. FF14 and WoW both give the player a lot of freedom to customize their UI, even lord of the rings online has a fully customizable UI (and that game came out in 2007) 

I don't seem to need this at all, but if they add it for others who want it, I don't mind.

2 - changing skill slots/character specific keybinds

it baffles me that the game even launch without these features, and it's downright absurd that at least one of them wasn't implemented over the past 10 years

In this case, it baffles me anyone is baffled by it. You can already kind-of work around it by saving your keybinds (from the ingame keybind menu, "export"), naming it as a class/build and then loading them (import [file name]) when needed. Seems like this might be a decent step towards the game changing the files automatically per character?

3 - LFG not being instant-join

too many times have i had the experience of putting a group up looking for a healer, someone who wasn't a healer joining and refusing to switch character/build, then having to kick them and relist the group. in WoW, when a person tries to join your lfg, they only get added to the group if you accept their request, that way, if you're looking for a hunter and warrior tries to join you can simply not accept them or refuse their request, which spares you from wasting time kicking people and relisting the group.

That's because in other games you're "looking for a specific class", meanwhile here you're "looking for a player being able to cover x/y/z", which can be done by more than one class. So I don't really see that happening here.

bonus point for being able to see if the person requesting to join has already cleared the content. like putting a little checkmark next to their name.

That's why people use various types of kp or titles. Maybe they can add 0ap achievements with clear threasholds basically saying "cleared 1/5/10/50 times" (mind that the title doesn't need to spell that out, the title can say absolutely anything, it would still be clear what achievement/clear it corresponds to).

this ties into the pains of pugs as well. how many times do people join as dps when they're wearing soldier gear and using random traits with all signets as their utilities. and asking every single person who joins to link every single item they're wearing as well as linking their build on chat is a ludicrous work-around that no one with an ounce of self-respect should put themselves through.

No, thanks. The exact build/gear doesn't matter to me, it matters if the player is capable of doing what he claimed he'll do (heal/buff/deal dmg/tank and so on). And if it's supposed to be "opt-in", I'd rather vouch for them implementing ability to link the gear tab like we can do with build tabs already.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3

On 1/8/2023 at 6:44 PM, Kyzonu.7504 said:

1 - You want the interface to look like WoW interface and Arc Add-On > Go back to WoW, this is GW2
2 - Change Skill Slots - You Want your Bartender Add-On like WoW > Go play WoW, this is GW2

3 - LFG is not broken - You Want the LFG from WoW where players cue for your role and it auto completes the group for you > Go play WoW, this is GW2

4 - Ability to Inspect Players > This is something that players would do in WoW to check gear score > Go play WoW, this is GW2

I recommend to learn how to change and learn how to play Guild Wars 2 before requesting changed to be like a game you left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Quirin.1076 said:

1 - You want the interface to look like WoW interface and Arc Add-On > Go back to WoW, this is GW2
2 - Change Skill Slots - You Want your Bartender Add-On like WoW > Go play WoW, this is GW2

3 - LFG is not broken - You Want the LFG from WoW where players cue for your role and it auto completes the group for you > Go play WoW, this is GW2

4 - Ability to Inspect Players > This is something that players would do in WoW to check gear score > Go play WoW, this is GW2

I recommend to learn how to change and learn how to play Guild Wars 2 before requesting changed to be like a game you left.

I know WoW is a lot of people's introduction to MMO's but these are hardly unique features which only WoW players will be familiar with. Other games have them too, including Guild Wars 1, which had the option to move the UI and rearrange skills on your bar, without needing addons. It sort-of had an inspect option too in that you could share your build templates, a lot of people would ask for that when you first joined a group.

I don't know why the option to move the UI didn't carry over to GW2, but I suspect they took out the option to rearrange skills in order to have weapon swapping and bundles (including things like engineer kits). In GW1 if you did something to change your skill bar, like entering the snowball fight mini game, and you changed the order of those skills it would affect your main bar as well. I suspect the same would happen in GW2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

Hostile?  You posted a wager, and I indicated that you lost said wager.  Oh...  I understand; "But you challenged my idea with examples that I couldn't refute" is the same as "hostile".

Wait, this is even funnier.

You thought a few anecdotes would refute that argument? 
Did you think I claimed the opposite *never* happens?

Wow.

1: Not really against it, think only people that are, are really bothered by your number 4.

2: not changing skill slots, the whole game innovation was the whole "Having 2 different weapons means 3 is different" kind of thing. but specific keybounds on specific characters is fine. Tbf I play a lot of wvw, and have different settings for different classes that I always have to change around......

3: LFG has always been a problem tbh, most people would have loved just an instant join thing, way back to dungeon days, first year of the game. Instead of "every character have to be full dps" Which was boring. LFG is a good tool for high level play, but for just joining randoms with a chill run, it is pretty bad. And most likely pushed the skill level of this game insanely quickly up in PvE and probably WvW/PvP as well.

4: Nah. If people want to give build, they can. But this entire game you get end gear quick, and can easily see if people are doing their job through Arc Dps in PvE/WvW. However since all end game gear is easy to get, what matters is skill/build. And if everyone can easily snap a build from someone else, that kinda ruins that part of the game. in WoW and other games like WoW I get it, you grind a million years to get higher ilvl, so the exact build doesn't matter that much. And they really dont have a wvw, mainly PvP....Even their wvw turns into PvE rather quickly, only 1 time I did it where we all clashed in the middle

Personally I think dueling in pve should be a thing, but people complain that LA will just turn into a massive duel orgie......which I still dont get how that would work out, just a small improvement kind of thing, rather than complete overhaul of everything

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, zengara.8301 said:

1: Not really against it, think only people that are, are really bothered by your number 4.

2: not changing skill slots, the whole game innovation was the whole "Having 2 different weapons means 3 is different" kind of thing. but specific keybounds on specific characters is fine. Tbf I play a lot of wvw, and have different settings for different classes that I always have to change around......

3: LFG has always been a problem tbh, most people would have loved just an instant join thing, way back to dungeon days, first year of the game. Instead of "every character have to be full dps" Which was boring. LFG is a good tool for high level play, but for just joining randoms with a chill run, it is pretty bad. And most likely pushed the skill level of this game insanely quickly up in PvE and probably WvW/PvP as well.

4: Nah. If people want to give build, they can. But this entire game you get end gear quick, and can easily see if people are doing their job through Arc Dps in PvE/WvW. However since all end game gear is easy to get, what matters is skill/build. And if everyone can easily snap a build from someone else, that kinda ruins that part of the game. in WoW and other games like WoW I get it, you grind a million years to get higher ilvl, so the exact build doesn't matter that much. And they really dont have a wvw, mainly PvP....Even their wvw turns into PvE rather quickly, only 1 time I did it where we all clashed in the middle

Personally I think dueling in pve should be a thing, but people complain that LA will just turn into a massive duel orgie......which I still dont get how that would work out, just a small improvement kind of thing, rather than complete overhaul of everything

EDIT: yeaah, feels like people are just bothered by 4 and being all weird about it, instead of saying what they like and don't like individually

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

i like having my skill bar close to the middle of the screen (right under my character) so i can track my cooldowns without having to look all the way down. FF14 and WoW both give the player a lot of freedom to customize their UI, even lord of the rings online has a fully customizable UI (and that game came out in 2007) 

GW1 has this as well, I'm still suprised GW2 doesn't have it 10 years into the game's life.

it baffles me that the game even launch without these features, and it's downright absurd that at least one of them wasn't implemented over the past 10 years

Not that big of a deal, but it could help out in some cases.

too many times have i had the experience of putting a group up looking for a healer, someone who wasn't a healer joining and refusing to switch character/build, then having to kick them and relist the group. in WoW, when a person tries to join your lfg, they only get added to the group if you accept their request, that way, if you're looking for a hunter and warrior tries to join you can simply not accept them or refuse their request, which spares you from wasting time kicking people and relisting the group.

bonus point for being able to see if the person requesting to join has already cleared the content. like putting a little checkmark next to their name.

Partially in the game, but not from LFG. I'd be happier with being able to check what professions are in the group. If you were able to decline people's join request from LFG the forums would be filled with complains about ""gatekeeping""

this ties into the pains of pugs as well. how many times do people join as dps when they're wearing soldier gear and using random traits with all signets as their utilities. and asking every single person who joins to link every single item they're wearing as well as linking their build on chat is a ludicrous work-around that no one with an ounce of self-respect should put themselves through.

This isn't the game for that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, zengara.8301 said:

EDIT: yeaah, feels like people are just bothered by 4 and being all weird about it, instead of saying what they like and don't like individually

I guess part of this is because it's been discussed so many times by now. And people are tired of repeating themselves. So a simple no or just dislike the post is all they want to say/do about it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1,2.  UI customization is nice.  I remember, I think before launch in the betas, that this was not feasible with the way the developers created the GUI.  I forget the specifics, but it seems that they traded the player's ability to customize the UI for a design that they wanted.  At the time, the emphasis was on shifting players away from using the UI at all and focusing on enemy animations. 

Again, I always thing UI customization is a nice thing to have.  I'd personally turn it all off since it's useless to me. 😎

3.  I like that you can specify exactly what you're looking for in a group rather than relying on an algorithm to (hopefully) ato fill a group.  It allows me to let people know in advance that I'm blind.

4.  This is a game based on actual player skill, not equipment.  Equipment is meaningless to determine how good a player is.  There's no need for this tool in the game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Wait, this is even funnier.

You thought a few anecdotes would refute that argument? 
Did you think I claimed the opposite *never* happens?

Wow.

Yeah, this is a few examples from someone that didn't use the LFG tools very often at all.  I wonder what the experience was like for people that pugged all the time in some of those games?  For a few years, I was in a multi-game raiding guild.  New raid in a game we played?  We were there, with our full group.  That's the thing about truly experienced raiders, they have a static group, and don't have to mess with the LFG tools.  Even in games where that guild didn't operate, my guilds were filling group content from our ranks.  That's a part of what guilds are for.

So, when I see these threads pop up, I'm not thinking "yeah, this'll be good for the game", I'm thinking "look, someone else that wants to be sure the people that fill their group will be able to carry them".  If it wasn't something like that, they'd have regular static groups for the content that requires grouping, and they wouldn't be worried about other people's gear at all.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, robertthebard.8150 said:

So, when I see these threads pop up, I'm not thinking "yeah, this'll be good for the game", I'm thinking "look, someone else that wants to be sure the people that fill their group will be able to carry them".  If it wasn't something like that, they'd have regular static groups for the content that requires grouping, and they wouldn't be worried about other people's gear at all.

What an absolutely shifted take.
My dude.
How do you just speed past "I don't want to carry this random person", dash on over to "I want to be carried by this random person", and conclude that one is more likely!?
How positively self-centered do you have to be to think that your habit and view of statics and pugs and gaming is the right, dominant one?

Sheesh.

• Confused 2