Anyone know why Anet stopped using the Forums on April 26th 2021?

43 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

in one of the post hes says hes no more on "staff", he's just give advice to new writters.

According to his Twitter account he's still the Narrative Director. I remember seeing something about them running a narrative mentorship programme for people who want to learn to write for games, but I think that's in addition to actually working on the game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

According to his Twitter account he's still the Narrative Director. I remember seeing something about them running a narrative mentorship programme for people who want to learn to write for games, but I think that's in addition to actually working on the game.

then i have misread the statement.

13 minutes ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

Yeah I considered that they dont need to login. However, if they have some efficient scripted way of looking at the forums the code doesnt seem to work very well... LOL cause Wintersday/Halloween boxes, etc

You're over-thinking it. Looking at the forum without being logged in doesn't require any type of script or code, just a person with a computer (or a phone or tablet).

You're also confusing reading feedback with implementing it. Just because players say they want something doesn't mean Anet is going to do it. It's not like someone tripped and hit the "delete food from festival loot bags" button. Anet clearly made a decision to take it out or it would have been fixed on day 1. They must have known when they did that it would be unpopular but for whatever reason they decided to do it anyway, so finding out that they were right about it being unpopular wasn't going to change their minds.

More generally they couldn't implement every suggestion if they wanted to, because many are contradictory and trying to use every possible suggestion would be a mess. I still think it's worth giving feedback and sharing new ideas, but I think it's a mistake to assume the only reason they don't appear in the game is because no one from Anet saw it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sorudo.9054 said:

They stopped caring about players too, nothing but crap with quick money grabs.

Did they though? It doesn't seem so with the new studio update. I quote:

"The next chapter of Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons arrives on February 28. With familiar allies like Detective Rama and his hat at your side, you’ll travel to a new location in Cantha and come face-to-face with a deadly foe that resides deep within the Jade Sea. That storyline will conclude a few months later with an update that introduces additional playable space to the map, adds meta-events and boss encounters, and lays the groundwork for future to-be-announced adventures. Unlike a Living World release, all owners of Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons will gain access to this content, meaning there’s no pressure to log in to unlock it and no gem cost for missed story chapter unlocks."

Seems they listened to people complaining about the cost of living world stories. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

"The next chapter of Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons arrives on February 28. With familiar allies like Detective Rama and his hat at your side, you’ll travel to a new location in Cantha and come face-to-face with a deadly foe that resides deep within the Jade Sea. That storyline will conclude a few months later with an update that introduces additional playable space to the map, adds meta-events and boss encounters, and lays the groundwork for future to-be-announced adventures. Unlike a Living World release, all owners of Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons will gain access to this content, meaning there’s no pressure to log in to unlock it and no gem cost for missed story chapter unlocks."

Seems they listened to people complaining about the cost of living world stories. 

many ppl also said that LS format ins't good for steam, steam users can see it as scam,

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

You're over-thinking it. Looking at the forum without being logged in doesn't require any type of script or code, just a person with a computer (or a phone or tablet).

You're also confusing reading feedback with implementing it. Just because players say they want something doesn't mean Anet is going to do it. It's not like someone tripped and hit the "delete food from festival loot bags" button. Anet clearly made a decision to take it out or it would have been fixed on day 1. They must have known when they did that it would be unpopular but for whatever reason they decided to do it anyway, so finding out that they were right about it being unpopular wasn't going to change their minds.

More generally they couldn't implement every suggestion if they wanted to, because many are contradictory and trying to use every possible suggestion would be a mess. I still think it's worth giving feedback and sharing new ideas, but I think it's a mistake to assume the only reason they don't appear in the game is because no one from Anet saw it.

No I understand you cn read the forums just fine without being logged in. I was talking abode code and scripting because, personally, if I was them and wanting to know what people are saying I would probably come up with a few scripts to use pattern matching, etc to pick out topics based on my criteria then have the scripts edit and format the posts into a distilled version. In other words, I would script the work and just read the interesting bits like I would by hand without the need to sit and click and wait for loads, etc.

[For those confused you can just google sed and awk to get an idea of pattern matching. As far as I know they are the first programs made to do search and replace functions in scripting.]

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Confused 6

3 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

I have seen that before, they screwed us over after that.

I don't buy into that again

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

16 hours ago, Moradorin.6217 said:

Maybe if Mirage was not the only class with a variable number of dodges depending the game mode they are in people would stop complaining about it?

Of course they would stop ... because it wouldn't have a variable number of dodges for them to complain about. 

But you missed the point I'm making here. Your approach to using the forum and this thread indicate you believe the forum is a tool to beat the devs over the head with because you are angry the game doesn't work how you like. Except It's not. 

I can only imagine it's pretty embarrassing to beat your fists on someone's door to demand something ... just to find out they aren't there. Fun times. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Of course they would stop ... because it wouldn't have a variable number of dodges for them to complain about. 

But you missed the point I'm making here. Your approach to using the forum and this thread indicate you believe the forum is a tool to beat the devs over the head with because you are angry the game doesn't work how you like. Except It's not. 

I can only imagine it's pretty embarrassing to beat your fists on someone's door to demand something ... just to find out they aren't there. Fun times. 

No I post the way I post because I dont think they do  not pay any attention to anything people post here, but I wish they did. I wish people could have simple, civil, productive conversations about things without every post being side lined.

The way I see it talking about things as I do helps other people see that the emperor has no cloths, so to speak. 😉

Edited by Moradorin.6217
  • Confused 5

17 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I can tell you from experience there are people who think they can do this and are consistently, hilariously wrong. I once had the dubious honour of being 'caught out' as both Axl Rose and a former member of Guns N' Roses using internet forums to "spy on" their former band mates. (Which is especially silly because this was some time after Slash said in an interview all he had to do was set up a Google alert for 'Guns N' Roses' and he got all the news about Axl.)

Less fun was being a moderator on a fan-run forum where we got weekly demands from one person to ban someone or other for being a "spy" and a company plant put in to...create the fake impression that fans liked the thing they'd signed up to a fan forum for.

The problem is that, if I were to tell you how I know about it, that would "out" some people.  Anet, like many other media companies, has some pretty strict NDAs.  It's the reason why we, as the players, don't know much about the internal workings, background processes, or standards behind what goes on in the company.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

I run the Narrative Department, so...I'm still on staff. 😉

How dare you come here and read the forum to then post in a thread complaining about devs not using the forum we are outraged here /s off

It is nice with some red posts from time to time just chilling.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

And it is said that Devs don't read the forums.  :classic_laugh:

"The Devs don't read the forum because they are specifically relying to me, giving me the answers I want and / or implementing the changes I specifically am demanding to the game. They don't listen to good quality feedback since I have been giving it and they are not doing what I am suggesting"

This seems to be the general notion I get when people say the Devs dont read the forum or listen to feedback. 

Edited by Sigmoid.7082
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bobby Stein.3612 said:

I run the Narrative Department, so...I'm still on staff. 😉

Even though you are not the head of the "forums" lol I'll assume why some devs don't post here is that maybe:

1) they are not required to unless it's in their job duties

2) to do so they are 100% liable for what they write out, unlike their own social media accounts

3) some devs may not see the value in writing a forum post or reply for the majority of their work  and want it to stand on its own which is their prerogative

4) it can further subject them to severe criticism they are not interested in receiving

5) social anxiety is real, debilitating and social media can exacerbate any willingness to communicate

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Like 1

So we're not going to talk about the plethora of people that call Anet and I quote:

idiots
braindead
useless
incompetent
blind

And a plethora of other names? I think the forums gave Anet plenty of reasons to limit interaction unless it is necessary. The fact you could actually look this stuff up is bonkers to me and some people really believe they deserve responses when they can't even use enough maturity to not insult them. Lord. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Dreams.3128 said:

So we're not going to talk about the plethora of people that call Anet and I quote:

idiots
braindead
useless
incompetent
blind

And a plethora of other names? I think the forums gave Anet plenty of reasons to limit interaction unless it is necessary. The fact you could actually look this stuff up is bonkers to me and some people really believe they deserve responses when they can't even use enough maturity to not insult them. Lord. 

I learned my lesson recently about being unhealthily critical of staff. When in the history of abusive language did someone magically and happily want to talk to you back for clarity?

• Like 2