So, can we finally get rid of transmutation charges?

Gibson.4036

Just now, Gilotina.7930 said:

Honestly, I enjoy some of it. But the way I interact with it, I don't make much. On my average day I make like...a gold or two a day? I tend to bounce from an activity to activity as whimsy takes me, sometimes I will complete a map meta, sometimes I won't. But after this thread, I just don't think this game is built for the sort of way I interact with it?

I honestly don't know. I want to like it, but so many things just don't make intuitive sense to me. And that's frustrating to me.

Most gold comes from selling Mats from youre bank.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

I Hope you do youre fair Share and buy a Lot of gems every month, the way you platantly advise other people to buy gems. You know how it goes, you can also buy gems when you don't need anything, i'm Sure Anet appreciate youre Money.

I support the studio when I can and I am sure that Anet appreciates it when I do.  However,  I don't beg for free stuff like some others do around here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 minute ago, Gilotina.7930 said:

Honestly, I enjoy some of it. But the way I interact with it, I don't make much. On my average day I make like...a gold or two a day? I tend to bounce from an activity to activity as whimsy takes me, sometimes I will complete a map meta, sometimes I won't. But after this thread, I just don't think this game is built for the sort of way I interact with it?

I honestly don't know. I want to like it, but so many things just don't make intuitive sense to me. And that's frustrating to me, and maybe that just means GW2 isn't a game for me.

Even just playing what you want when you want makes you gold. I do that and I have about 4k gold in materials if I sold it all and I'm sitting at about 150 liquid gold at the moment.  Granted, I don't really have much to farm for anymore.  There are definitely ways you can get around having to spend transmutation charges every time you swap regions and all of them have been outlined in here and are cheaper than buying transmutation charges.

1 minute ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

Even just playing what you want when you want makes you gold. I do that and I have about 4k gold in materials if I sold it all and I'm sitting at about 150 liquid gold at the moment.  Granted, I don't really have much to farm for anymore.  There are definitely ways you can get around having to spend transmutation charges every time you swap regions and all of them have been outlined in here and are cheaper than buying transmutation charges.

I mean, I don't actually do that. There are days I would like to, but I would literally be dry after I moved through two zones, lol. I tend to sit at around 15-20 transmutation charges, meaning I'm always couple of transmutes away from being dry, which is what makes me highly reluctant to ever actually change my looks, and admittedly, has driven me to buy two of those one piece outfits (so good job ANet money people I guess) just so I don't have to spend charges on transmutation when I get gear upgrade when leveling alts or in my excruciatingly slow path towards actually having a decently statted gearset. 

And I don't think I've ever had more than 75 gold on me, and that was after what I felt like was particularly productive couple of weeks. This is why I actually said I am one of those perpetually broke people, because I am. And it's not because I spend so much gold, I actually barely ever spend it, just because I make barely anything.

So this is the entire sum of why I don't like the transmutation charges - my playstyle is not conducive to interacting with the transmutation as much as I would like. So I guess it does come down to irreconcilable difference in approach. Ah well.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

Suggestion: A home resource node that gives Transmutation Charges each day. Say, 1-3, with 2 being the most common result?

I'd suggest making it a small, flowering plant that Aurene has "branded", but there's all sorts of things it could be. Set the price at 1000 gems, and I'd say it would make everyone more or less happy.  Anyone that doesn't want it can simply not buy it out of the Gemstore, and they lose nothing. People that want more TCs may not get them as fast as they want, but it's still an average of two "free" charges per day, making it easier to save them up.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

2 minutes ago, Gilotina.7930 said:

I mean, I don't actually do that. There are days I would like to, but I would literally be dry after I moved through two zones, lol. I tend to sit at around 15-20 transmutation charges, meaning I'm always couple of transmutes away from being dry, which is what makes me highly reluctant to ever actually change my looks, and admittedly, has driven me to buy two of those one piece outfits (so good job ANet money people I guess) just so I don't have to spend charges on transmutation when I get gear upgrade when leveling alts or in my excruciatingly slow path towards actually having a decently statted gearset. 

And I don't think I've ever had more than 75 gold on me, and that was after what I felt like was particularly productive couple of weeks. This is why I actually said I am one of those perpetually broke people, because I am. And it's not because I spend so much gold, I actually barely ever spend it, just because I make barely anything.

So this is the entire sum of why I don't like the transmutation charges - my playstyle is not conducive to interacting with the transmutation as much as I would like. So I guess it does come down to irreconcilable difference in approach. Ah well.

A lot of the gold in this game comes from currency conversion, unidentified gear, salvaging, and material conversion & material storage.  While yes, you'll have very little liquid gold rewarded to you (Unless you do dungeons, fractals, raids, and strikes), you'll gain a lot of materials.  This is how ANet rewards your time. Materials & unidentified gear both come in stacks.

40 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I support the studio when I can and I am sure that Anet appreciates it when I do.  However,  I don't beg for free stuff like some others do around here.

Yeah i forgot, Here in the Forum asking for more ways to Play the Game and make suggestions or critcize, instead of Just buy to Play(because in youre word's, anet would appreciate ist more when i spent Money) is asking for free stuff ^^".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6

3 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Yeah i forgot, Here in the Forum asking for more ways to Play the Game and make suggestions or critcize, instead of Just buy to Play(because in youre word's, anet would appreciate ist more when i spent Money) is asking for free stuff ^^".

But transmutation charges are not the case of just buy to play, they are farmable in all of the modes. If you read through the thread, you'll notice Gilotina goes on about it not being their "main game"(?), so it's the case of "I want more for less", if anything.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Either you pay , or try to get the Legendary , it seems

• Confused 6

15 minutes ago, Woof.8246 said:

Either you pay , or try to get the Legendary , it seems

Some people farm them, by keeping an empty character slot and farming an easy city over and over again. People who PvP or WvW get a lot of them. I'm an altoholic so I have a bunch from zone complete. 

There's a lot of ways to get them. That said, if you PvP or WvW, it's particularly easy to get legendary armor, if time consuming. It's just doing the stuff you'd normally do for a long time until you have the currency saved up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Some people farm them, by keeping an empty character slot and farming an easy city over and over again. People who PvP or WvW get a lot of them. I'm an altoholic so I have a bunch from zone complete. 

There's a lot of ways to get them. That said, if you PvP or WvW, it's particularly easy to get legendary armor, if time consuming. It's just doing the stuff you'd normally do for a long time until you have the currency saved up.

100% this.  After getting all 4 original PoF mounts (Griffon/Skyscale optional but help), Install BlishHUD, install the map completion trails, run follow the trails in every city to get 6 charges in ~20ish minutes.  Technically, this means that farming charges this way is actually faster than WvW and PvP.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Uh... what?

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

3 mth old new player here... I have spent a LOT on transmutation... Sure, some I have found while playing, but some I have bought with blue crystals (real-world money).

Why? you might ask...

Because it is important 'for me' to look appropriate to my class, gender, and race. Some of the armor/skins just don't look right for my character and class... So I would LOVE if transmutes were free, or at least cost less.

Plus... I have MANY toons and it is impossible to get enough 'transmutations' to cater for them all just by playing the game...

AND... I have transmuted armor 1 day, only to find better armor the next day (total waste of a transmute).

So, for a new player, it is hard to get the transmutes you want, especially if you have more than 1 character to consider... and then there is the constant armor/skin turnover that you get early on.

It hurts when you have transmuted, only to find better (ugly) armor the next day.

Edited by Lanfear De Noir.9127
needed more info.
  • Confused 5

51 minutes ago, Lanfear De Noir.9127 said:

3 mth old new player here... I have spent a LOT on transmutation... Sure, some I have found while playing, but some I have bought with blue crystals (real-world money).

Why? you might ask...

Because it is important 'for me' to look appropriate to my class, gender, and race. Some of the armor/skins just don't look right for my character and class... So I would LOVE if transmutes were free, or at least cost less.

Plus... I have MANY toons and it is impossible to get enough 'transmutations' to cater for them all just by playing the game...

AND... I have transmuted armor 1 day, only to find better armor the next day (total waste of a transmute).

So, for a new player, it is hard to get the transmutes you want, especially if you have more than 1 character to consider... and then there is the constant armor/skin turnover that you get early on.

It hurts when you have transmuted, only to find better (ugly) armor the next day.

Thats why you use an outfit until you find a look that you want to stick with.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Outfit

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lanfear De Noir.9127 said:

Why? you might ask...

First, find an outfit you like and stick with  it.
Second, don't change your look before you have your full set of level 80 exotic gear that you plan to stick with.
Lastly, use any bank to access the wardrobe.  In there, you can preview any skins you don't have unlocked.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andifulated.3482 said:

First, find an outfit you like and stick with  it.
Second, don't change your look before you have your full set of level 80 exotic gear that you plan to stick with.
Lastly, use any bank to access the wardrobe.  In there, you can preview any skins you don't have unlocked.

That's the point really... I WANT to stick with one look, but lower toons are continually picking up new gear, so any transmutes are wasted.

I did not know this at the beginning, and I am very frugal with my transmutes now.

Lesson learned.

As for outfits, I do have a few, but seeing as you cant buy what you want when you want, the choices of outfits don't necessarily suit the characters that I have.

AND I have a few characters, so transmutes, and outfits have cost a bit to clothe every toon that I have.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5

4 hours ago, Lanfear De Noir.9127 said:

As for outfits, I do have a few, but seeing as you cant buy what you want when you want, the choices of outfits don't necessarily suit the characters that I have.

That is definitely one of the troubles with outfits. ArenaNet likes their FOMO marketing, so you have a limited number of choices at any given time, and no idea when the ones you might like will be available again.

Also, $9 for an outfit to bandaid a character's look until endgame is pretty pricey.

• Confused 4

Of all the games I play and have played, this is the only one that has a special currency they sale in the store to change your look.  Most of the other games just charge a small amount of silver.  And this is the same with getting a haircut for your character.  And I think that's the whole point.  It's about charging your players.

For me, I'd rather they develop a subscription service that simply allows subscribers to change their look free of charge as long as you are subscribed.  Any type of incidental money maker they currently have could fall under it such as before they got rid of repairs, they could have been included (that's over now though).

People who would subscribe aren't going to spend all that much money in the store for transmutation charges anyways so if you need money that badly then try to grab a few more people that might think a collection of perks worthwhile.  Hopefully don't do like ESO and make one thing absolutely essential and the rest just junk to clutter up your players' inventory.  That just makes them quit in annoyance and got play GW2 or something.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

What about custom outfits, similar to FFXIV's glamour plates? Changing a custom outfit would cost transmutation charges, but applying it would not, so there would still be plenty of transmutation charges to be earned and spent. There would be multiple outfit slots, so players could easily switch between them, e.g. for role playing. One or two slots would be free, more could be bought from the gem store.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, Abnaxos.4305 said:

What about custom outfits, similar to FFXIV's glamour plates? Changing a custom outfit would cost transmutation charges, but applying it would not, so there would still be plenty of transmutation charges to be earned and spent. There would be multiple outfit slots, so players could easily switch between them, e.g. for role playing. One or two slots would be free, more could be bought from the gem store.

This would certainly help with players leveling characters.

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Abnaxos.4305 said:

And what about players with legendary gear? Do they have to buy slots as well? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, thruine.8510 said:

For me, I'd rather they develop a subscription service that simply allows subscribers to change their look free of charge as long as you are subscribed.  Any type of incidental money maker they currently have could fall under it such as before they got rid of repairs, they could have been included (that's over now though).

You can do this now.  Pay Anet monthly, get gems, purchase transmutation charges and change your look.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lanfear De Noir.9127 said:

That's the point really... I WANT to stick with one look, but lower toons are continually picking up new gear, so any transmutes are wasted.

I did not know this at the beginning, and I am very frugal with my transmutes now.

Lesson learned.

AND I have a few characters, so transmutes, and outfits have cost a bit to clothe every toon that I have.

I'm curious as to how you didn't know that in an RPG you'd be getting gear upgrades every so often.  Unless this is your first foray into such a genre.  In which case, that's understandable.

As for outfits, there are a lot of tonics on the trading post that convert into outfits if you have the extra gold to buy some of them. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Clothing_tonics is a link to all the clothing tonics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

That is definitely one of the troubles with outfits. ArenaNet likes their FOMO marketing, so you have a limited number of choices at any given time, and no idea when the ones you might like will be available again.

Also, $9 for an outfit to bandaid a character's look until endgame is pretty pricey.

As if we need to transmutate every new armor we get while leveling, even moreso when we're talking about newer players without many skins unlocked in the first place. It should be rather clear for the player they'll keep changing their gear often and they've just started unlocking skins for them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1