Idea: profession swapping on the same character

14 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Unlikely to happen and financially there is no reason for them to invest dev time on this. They are trying to sell people character slots.

Couldn't agree more. This would make character slots less wanted for those who don't have more than 9. 

Although it would be interesting. I don't mind that we can't change professions. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Unlikely to happen and financially there is no reason for them to invest dev time on this. They are trying to sell people character slots.

People used to say the same thing about build and equipment templates: Anet would never bring them in because players buy character slots to achieve the same thing. But they brought it in and monetised it directly.

Also some players (including me) kept using different characters for different elite specs or builds for various reasons. I've even created new characters since then which are duplicates of professions I already had but using different elite specs. They're also different races and have different themes, backstories and personalities so to me it's a much bigger change than swapping a character's build and worth the extra slot, even though I know mechanically I'd get the same results.

I think it would be the same with profession swaps. Some people would use it for the convenience, but I don't think it would entirely stop people buying character slots.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

People used to say the same thing about build and equipment templates: Anet would never bring them in because players buy character slots to achieve the same thing. But they brought it in and monetised it directly.

Also some players (including me) kept using different characters for different elite specs or builds for various reasons. I've even created new characters since then which are duplicates of professions I already had but using different elite specs. They're also different races and have different themes, backstories and personalities so to me it's a much bigger change than swapping a character's build and worth the extra slot, even though I know mechanically I'd get the same results.

I think it would be the same with profession swaps. Some people would use it for the convenience, but I don't think it would entirely stop people buying character slots.

Adding templates was in response to people asking for it and Arcdps already having it. Functionally you could not swap your legendary items that easily onto other characters either, WvW players had to reslot WvW infusions instead of agony infusions unless using ascended which was similarly annoying. Templates ended up being hyper monetized to the point that even the build storage template chat codes were charged while having a far lower maximum limit.

Unless they can monetize profession swapping to offset the cost I really doubt it is worthwhile for them to invest in it. There is also the developmental issue of saving your hero points and profession specific unlocks, which makes it much more complex for all collections.

8 hours ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

Profession swapping feature out of combat. As in, necro could hit a button and switch to ele.

Would be easier to implement than "secondary profession" like in gw1.

Thoughts?

Its a great idea , I can see that becoming an expansion feature , that can be used also  in combat.

Using the model of Genshin Impact to switch characters mid combat . Your switched character have low polygons(hooded//shadow skeleton >>people could sell skins) and copies its stats + templates from the actual character and can be used for some secs in OW.(imagine Caith's transformation Mission)

Or wombo-combo with killed/defeated Bosses/Npcs you captured their souls , that deal less damage but interact with your fields//gain new attacks based on your cc .In instances you are allowed only Tier 2 Npcs/bosses (medium damage spike , low cc , vs T1 which is the opposite) .

In WvW Solid Snake's cardbox could be used to avoid incoming1-hit ko , but "waste" 2x random spells (+initiatie)for each 0.5 sec + 10% unclean-able burn +no boons to your main character .

Or transform you into a chogga that allow you to scout the land till you find an safe spot and teleport your "real character there" (avoiding abnoxious 1v1) . But using it too often in these 30 min (escape) , you are forced to behind a visible statue that can be attacked and store damage till you exit (+Grim Reaper execute), forcing you to fight as choggga to defend the statue before it goes insiible from the attackers)

CD 30 min (if you crossed out the maxed "energy bar" ) , or till you gain1200 WvW points (capturing 3x things) . Or if enemy accounts doesn't have the same ammount of "Bloodbath" (killed enemies -imagine as new vs old player MMR) , have a chance to break those 2x spells .

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Confused 6

8 hours ago, gkoogz.3089 said:

Profession swapping feature out of combat. As in, necro could hit a button and switch to ele.

Would be easier to implement than "secondary profession" like in gw1.

Thoughts?

I'd love to spend $10 and swap my Warrior over to Thief once.
*Really* don't see it as a flickable out-of-combat option.

16 hours ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Unless they can monetize profession swapping to offset the cost I really doubt it is worthwhile for them to invest in it. There is also the developmental issue of saving your hero points and profession specific unlocks, which makes it much more complex for all collections.

They could easily monetize it. $10 per profession slot per character 😉

They can also make it so if you switch to a class that can use the current armor it becomes disabled just like it is already done for weapons. That will "encourage" people to buy more build and equipment template. They will have to fix the issue of not being able to allow more than 6 of each. That was apparently a technical limitation.

The issue with hero points is just some simple algebra. The game knows how many points you have in total. It can just treat it as if each profession has a separate copy of the points.

Profession specific unlocks can be left alone and only check your active profession.

I have no interest in the feature but none of those look particularly problematic. What will be a problem is all the places in the code that assumes profession can't change. All those will turn into bugs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1