Thief is the only class who

whooot.5784

1 hour ago, Antycypator.9874 said:

I think burning people doesn't fit the "silent killer and assassin" class.

Because specter as a whole does. Or staff daredevil... the thing is class identity got eroded after PoF came out, and EoD absolutely destroyed whatever was left. I dont want thief to have burning, but if it were to get it... would it really change anything?
Guardians running around with stealth, elementalists vomit posion, warriors heal and revive, mesmers facetank. A thief spamming burning would fit into those botched concepts just fine.

Edited by Bazsi.2734
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Bazsi.2734 said:

Because specter as a whole does. Or staff daredevil... the thing is class identity got eroded after PoF came out, and EoD absolutely destroyed whatever was left. I dont want thief to have burning, but if it were to get it... would it really change anything?
Guardians running around with stealth, elementalists vomit posion, warriors heal and revive, mesmers facetank. A thief spamming burning would fit into those botched concepts just fine.

Because Thief was never "Thief"

Thief was more like "Rogue" and Daredevil and Specter fall in line very neatly under the Rogue archetype. Rogues aren't assassins or silent killers either, they just fight dirty, get the job done, and very agility focused as an RPG stereotype. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

Currently I have 100% poison and bleed duration on my condi builds.  If burning were added, it would only have 66% of the duration roughly.  IMO it would be better to add more bleeding or poison if they were to buff thief.  A burst condition could be accomplished by having a whole lot of bleed stacks at a shorter duration.  

• Confused 1

Its very strange that Thief doesn't have access to torch, the whole weapon just screams "thief", especially since for some reason the Mesmer skill  for it would've fit perfectly. Apparently thieves can generate a ton of smoke fields but its just magic smoke that comes from nowhere, they don't burn anything.

On 3/6/2023 at 5:26 AM, whooot.5784 said:

doesn't have any access to burn.

It does have access to burn. It's just that it's extremly situational since it's tied to stolen bundles that can only be found in PvE (throw lava rock, use scepter, use staff, throw cursed artifact).

The large amount of combo finisher that the thief have access to also allow him to apply burn when he is paired with someone that can provide fire field.

Now, does thief need to have a more reliable access to burn? I believe that he doesn't. Introducing such a strong condition into the kit of a profession usually come along with a lot of nasty nerfs on the other conditions already available to the profession. I personally do not wish to see such a thing happen.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Now, does thief need to have a more reliable access to burn? I believe that he doesn't. Introducing such a strong condition into the kit of a profession usually come along with a lot of nasty nerfs on the other conditions already available to the profession. I personally do not wish to see such a thing happen.

Sounds like Burning needs to be balanced instead to me. 

Tbh Burning has needed coefficient adjustments since forever but Anet prefers just reducing the stacks applied from skills instead of nerfing its coefficients. It's the one Condition that has much higher scaling compared to all other Conditions, even those with increased scaling when certain criteria are fulfilled (like torment and confusion) 

Burning was supposed to be balanced with having drastically lower innate Condition Duration but that obviously doesn't work because people just jack that duration back up to 60%~ or 80%~ without sacrificing much Condition Damage. Also certain skills have been buffed to have unnaturally long Burning duration compared to regular skills for no real reason. (things like Burning from utilities for example not respecting the supposed low Duration but high spike damage nature of Burning) 

So Anet tell me this: How is Burning supposed to behave, and if so, why does it have such a uniquely higher damage scaling? 

• Thanks 4

On 3/7/2023 at 10:52 AM, Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

I'm in favour of it. Maybe having a thief apply burn from stealth while spamming /laugh will push the devs to nerf burn into a reasonable state. 

Jeez, this.  Watching piles of health tick away because some Jade Brotherhood Pistoleer keeps slapping me with 4 stacks of Burning out of nowhere for a nice 10 seconds is super not fun, and meanwhile my poor juggernaut engi struggles to get enough stacks on the enemy to be worthwhile.

Probably should've just rolled Firebrand so I could burn all the things instead.

I think...

Burning is supposed to be short duration and high intensity.

Bleeding is supposed to be high duration and low intensity.

Torment was supposed to synergies with fear (in pve) now it synergies with immobilize/stun.

Poison is supposed to be antibunker.

Confusion is supposed to be anticounterplay.

• Like 1