[Poll] Should we be able to hide other players' skyscales?

Should we be able to hide other players' skyscales?  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Skyscales are cool but they can be annoying when 1) they slow down your game, 2) they hide things you actually want to see on your screen, 3) their shiny flapping wings make your screen blink every second. Do you want a graphic setting added to the game so each player can choose whether or not they see other players' skyscales? It can be hiding the skyscales, making the skyscales transparent like the turtles, or something else.

• Furball.1236 changed the title to [test] test edited.content.title
  • Furball.1236 changed the title to [Poll] Should we be able to hide other players' skyscales?

Why would Anet implement such an option? A huge part of the appeal, if not the majority, for shiny skins, including Skyscale ones, is to show them off to other players. Adding an option for people to hide others' gemstore skins/effects (which is pretty much the only way to get these), which only annoy a fraction of the playerbase, would just drop gemstore sales.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Poormany.4507 said:

Why would Anet implement such an option? A huge part of the appeal, if not the majority, for shiny skins, including Skyscale ones, is to show them off to other players. Adding an option for people to hide others' gemstore skins/effects (which is pretty much the only way to get these), which only annoy a fraction of the playerbase, would just drop gemstore sales.

What if I tell you about the existing option that lowers player model quality and quantity?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Poormany.4507 said:

People who want to show off their skins can be seen by people who don't bother using this new graphic option.

As for why Anet could consider this, user experience. Based on my experience in 10-man squads, I'm confident I have a better computer than most of players for GW2. Yet, seeing skyscales sometimes can be so annoying I want to avoid playing certain contents of the game, like open world metas. I often see my game lags with many players afk on their flapping skyscales above me, and the lag resolves as soon as they dismount.

Just like we have control on character model limit and quality, we should have control on this too. I'm not happy to sacrifice my gameplay just because some people want to show off their skins.

If necessary, this graphic change can only affect when there are more than certain number of people in the area, just like how the game hides mini's when the map is crowded. Personally, I prefer to have the full control regardless of the map population though.

Edited by Furball.1236
  • Like 4
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

I think that it would be weird seeing a bunch of people flying while in the sitting position with nothing underneath them.

Best option is to hide everyone else's own skins and just either see the default, or the one you have.

Yeah, I thought about this too. That's why I suggested making them transparent like the turtle. Since we won't see as much details while they're transparent, hopefully the game can set the graphic details lower by default for those transparent mounts.

What you suggested can be another option, though it is still annoying when skyscales cover your footsteps in HoT maps.

Edited by Furball.1236
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 4

We should be able to hide loads of things, from particle effect diarrhoea to ridiculous cosmetics.

Anet has shown 0 interest in offering players this much-needed feature, like they have with about a million other things the game has desperately needed the past decade.

You have to accept it as part of the GW2 experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

I joined a HoT HP train recently for the first time in a while. The commander used to ask people not to use skyscale because of how difficult all those flapping wings made seeing where the train is going.

They didn’t ask this time. I wonder if they just gave up because people ignore the request (there were always a couple each train in the past). Even though I’ve followed these trains enough to have a pretty good idea where it’s going, having that mass of skyscales did make for a frustrating experience not being able to see the terrain.

Also, I’m consistently surprised when reminded that some people buy skins so other people can see them, and that this somehow translates into a right not to have others turn them off.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

The only time other folk's skyscales bother me is when there is a group of players waiting for something to start and one or two of those players are hovering right over the heads of the crowd with flapping wings. Those wings can be a constant flickering over much of my screen that I find irritating. Thankfully that is not as much of an issue now as it was when the skyscales first came out. Back then, there were so many flapping skyscales that they were hard to avoid. These days though, with it generally being only one or two at a time, the simple solution of moving to another spot generally works just fine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I would appreciate that.

I think I would, too. It would bring a lot of clarity.

No one would feel compelled to remind us that poll results don’t necessarily reflect all players. We’d know each poll is, “Let’s see what DarcShriek feels about this.”

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:35 AM, Poormany.4507 said:

Wait, people get shiny mount skins just to show off and not because they like how they look? Are they expecting someone to whisper them and say "wow! you paid money for that! that is SO cool!" or something?

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

17 minutes ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

Wait, people get shiny mount skins just to show off and not because they like how they look? Are they expecting someone to whisper them and say "wow! you paid money for that! that is SO cool!" or something?

It... kinda looks that way.

It makes me disappointed in humanity.

Almost as much as Super Mario Bros breaking the opening weekend record. 😄

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

The constant flapping does bother me (and it's just as bad with the default skin as any of the gem store ones) but as other people have said I do need to see skyscales at times. That means this option would only be useful if I can set up a key binding to turn it on and off, so I can turn them off while I'm waiting and the endless flapping is just annoying, then turn them on again when whatever I'm waiting for starts without having to dig through menus to find the right setting. 

(I haven't voted because of that condition. If I can set a keyboard shortcut I'd vote yes, if I can't I'd vote no because it's useless to me, worse than useless because it'd make getting a useful version less likely.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1