Gambling - the only thing I enjoyed in this game has been nerfed.

Very pointless change indeed, it is up to the people to control and know their "limit". You should now limit number of black lion chests we can open. But that would mean you lose money right? Unlike THIS change that doesnt cost you anything, so its not that much of a gamble if its for in game currency.

Edit: I dont really use this anymore but why does it matter is the bag slot runes, because this is the ONLY way to get them....give us some normal, not rng way to get them then.

Edited by Cernoch.8524
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 7

I was very surprised about this nerf. I indeed dont believe it can be a change 'to fight gambling'  or they would not keep offering black lion keys with discounts for buying 25 at once, which will have a way higher chance of you losing your gold (or worse, actual money)

Edited by Nansen.4631
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Nansen.4631 said:

I was indeed very surprised about this nerf. I indeed dont believe it can be a change 'to fight gambling'  or they would not keep offering black lion keys with discounts for buying 25 at once, which will have a way higher chance of you losing your gold

Or losing real money right? Which after this change seems is what Anet wants, more than losing your golds.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Maybe they did it to help regulate the price of ectoplasm?

I don't know enough about how ecto gambling works to know what impact it might have, but I agree that it seems like a pointless change to regulate gambling and I know Anet have made changes before to regulate item prices and the wider economy. They never directly change TP prices (I'm not sure if they could even if they wanted to) but they'll adjust drop rates and sinks for different items if they think it's necessary.

• Like 4

I am worried about the price of supreme rune of holding, there should be a non-RNG source. Of course this change is to lower the likelihood of people addicted to gambling wasting ingame gold on gambling. I remember reading someone spent 10K real money to gamble ecto.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

It was likely done due to multiple reports over the years of the game literally ruining peoples' lives, including a very recent one on reddit where a guy lost his entire home and family over it.

Yes, gambling addictions aren't the developers' fault, but at the same time when you add that kind of thing to a game where players can convert real money to gems and then gems to gold and then gold to Globs of Ectoplasm, it does carry alot of responsibility.

It would've been better to just disable the gem exchange for anyone who goes over a certain limit, but that would take funds away from ArenaNet so it was probably a business decision not to do it.

(I don't understand how companies can justify some players spending 30-50k on their games. I'm pretty sure someone posted about spending well over 100k once.)

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

If someone can spend 100k on a game, they can probably afford it no? If someone is so addicted to gambling that they would sell their house to buy stuff in the game, they would as well just gamble it somewhere else the minute devs delete all gamble from their game.

But with this "logic" there will always be some gamble in the game, since you can convert real money to golds, how is ecto gamble different from trying to get precursor from mystic forge, opening ToT bags for infusion or those Zephyrite Supply Box? It is all the same but those infusions atleast drop somewhere else so players are not forced to gamble but when it comes to ecto gamble and it being the ONLY source of Supreme Rune of Holding, Anet literally force players to gamble to get bigger bags because you can not get it anywhere else. Same goes with Black lion chests, you can always get all the items somewhere else eventually because you can farm statuettes, slowly but you can.

• Like 1
  • Confused 11

1 hour ago, Tiamat.8254 said:

This ruins my needless desire to waste at least 2100 gold per day. Whatever will I do?

You may send it to me. I will put it to excellent use. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I think spending 10 Gold at the Trading Post for a Supreme Rune of Holding would probably be way cheaper than gambling for it. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Supreme_Rune_of_Holding

And where are people supposed to get it to sell it on tp? Guess you forgot that little detail from your post. You know items just does not happen to be on tp out of nowhere right? 

Edited by Cernoch.8524
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 5

8 minutes ago, Cernoch.8524 said:

And where are people supposed to get it to sell it on tp? Guess you forgot that little detail from your post. You know items just does not happen to be on tp out of nowhere right? 

So, you are guaranteeing no one ever gets the Rune within 20 tries each day?  Quite prescient! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 10

13 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

So, you are guaranteeing no one ever gets the Rune within 20 tries each day?  Quite prescient! 

Clearly you dont understand basic economy. How many people actually gamble, yes, its probably not many but if people do, they often gamble a lot which is more than 20 tries, keep in mind that 20 tries does not mean you are spending 2k golds because you obviously get some golds. But those people have limited tries now, which will lead to less Supreme Runes of Holding being dropped and also sold on tp. It is just how things works so please if you do not understand, do not comment. 

Runes has already low chance so you dont get 20 runes with 20 tries, sure, you   can rarely get 5 runes but thats not often either.

Edit: Also you missed one of points and that is that Anet is trying to reduce the gamble, which is fine by me but it is also the only option how to get the runes, see what I mean and how it does not make any sense? You can not fight against the gamble while gambling is the only way how to get something people want.

Edited by Cernoch.8524
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 6

14 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/83410-Supreme-Rune-of-Holding

And here I just finished the arboreal collection and was thinking about crafting some bigger bags…

For extended period of time, the price was still higher than that. For now all we see is that tp reacted fast, but it didn't really reacted that hard. Not just that, but for all we see, it might as well be a single player -or a few of them combined- purchasing ~370 of them in order to risk a return on reselling them later. I doubt this is an actual reaction to the drop rate, for now it looks like a possible speculation.
But wait, there's more! For now the difference is less than 1,5gold per rune, so it's a difference of 18 gold per bag. On a price totaling to 125gold. If 18 gold stops you from going for those bags, chances are it wasn't worth for you in the first place.

e:

14 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Maybe after the initial panic spike runes will settle back down. Guess we’ll see.

"more thoughts", literally edited in after reading my response 😄 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

57 minutes ago, Cernoch.8524 said:

If someone can spend 100k on a game, they can probably afford it no? If someone is so addicted to gambling that they would sell their house to buy stuff in the game, they would as well just gamble it somewhere else the minute devs delete all gamble from their game.

But with this "logic" there will always be some gamble in the game, since you can convert real money to golds, how is ecto gamble different from trying to get precursor from mystic forge, opening ToT bags for infusion or those Zephyrite Supply Box? It is all the same but those infusions atleast drop somewhere else so players are not forced to gamble but when it comes to ecto gamble and it being the ONLY source of Supreme Rune of Holding, Anet literally force players to gamble to get bigger bags because you can not get it anywhere else. Same goes with Black lion chests, you can always get all the items somewhere else eventually because you can farm statuettes, slowly but you can.

People can spend money that they don't have. Loans and many other methods of doing so exist, and in many countries you can just go into debt and keep spending with no protections for it.

For example, having a negative bank account is somewhat normal in the United States.

EDIT: The big difference between online gambling and offline gambling is that they can't get real money back from it (usually), so while the occasional win can save you from bankruptcy in real life, in this game a win doesn't do anything as you can't convert it back to real money.

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, SoftFootpaws.9134 said:

People can spend money that they don't have. Loans and many other methods of doing so exist, and in many countries you can just go into debt and keep spending with no protections for it.

Yes I know but those are people with gambling issues already and as I said, those will find a way to gamble somewhere else right after their game ban all the gambling.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2