Gambling - the only thing I enjoyed in this game has been nerfed.

2 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Maybe they did it to help regulate the price of ectoplasm?

I don't know enough about how ecto gambling works to know what impact it might have, but I agree that it seems like a pointless change to regulate gambling and I know Anet have made changes before to regulate item prices and the wider economy. They never directly change TP prices (I'm not sure if they could even if they wanted to) but they'll adjust drop rates and sinks for different items if they think it's necessary.

https://dd.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3cv520/statsscience_ecto_gambling/

has some nice data. Judging from the results for clumps which has the largest sample size it seems an ecto/gold sink. On average each gamble destroys ~0.2g and 0.2ecto.

1 hour ago, Tiamat.8254 said:

This ruins my needless desire to waste at least 2100 gold per day. Whatever will I do?

The patch note was unclear so I had to check in game. Originally I thought the same as you but in reality the limit is ... 248g plus the ectos. Unless you have 70 accounts like someone claims to have in which case you can still gamble over 17,000g per day ..

Edited by Khisanth.2948

This change is exceedingly arbitrary and doesn't account for all the other ways to gamble in this game.

If we actually care about then mental health and wellbeing of people then lets remove all RNG based methods of aquisition from the game including gambling on precursors in the mystic forge.

As is there's nothing stoping said ecto gambler from gambling thousands of dollars away on greatswords to try and get dawn/dusk to sell ad nasuem.

As previously stated black lion keys and even more predatory the mount adpotion licenses are still a thing and target people who wish to convert real money into fantasy skins via gambling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Without people ruining their lives spending money on these, there is going to be less Supreme Runes of Holding to go around.

Or maybe Anet can really think hard about how their choices in making such things rare and expensive are actually hurting people.

Limiting the number of purchases to a daily on these things is proof that they have some kind of remorse. Or the alternative is that someone found some way to exploit the rng that requires opening that many.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Cernoch.8524 said:

Yes I know but those are people with gambling issues already and as I said, those will find a way to gamble somewhere else right after their game ban all the gambling.

We still build guard rails, even if there will be other places to still fall off of. That said, I doubt this had anything to do with gambling protection, considering Anet is still peddling Lootboxes with exclusive items in their real-money store (with multiple layers of spending/value obfuscation through Money->Gems->Keys->Chest opening).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It would have been better to reduce the win chance silently. 😝

But I think gambling shouldn’t be in a game for 12 years old. Especially not if you can win anything, it only has a place as educational matter, if you gamble you loose.

And if this was the only think you enjoyed you are probably in the wrong game.

Edited by Dayra.7405
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

Without people ruining their lives spending money on these, there is going to be less Supreme Runes of Holding to go around.

Those runes coming only from ecto gambling was already an issue. Perhaps now is the time to solve both by introducing an alternate source for those runes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, phokus.8934 said:
  • All Sandstorm hands and Destabilized Ectoplasm purchases now have a daily limit of 20.

You just know that after 20 losses, the 21st will net you those 20 Priestess Cards!

Right...? Just one more hit!

Edited by Dondarrion.2748
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Pretty sure they limited it because there was some sort of duplication exploit linked to the system, not because they want people to stop gambling. That system was actually a pretty big gold sink, which they absolutely want in the economy. Probably is it ended up being a gold faucet for the exploiters. This is just what I've heard though, not sure if it's true or any details about how said exploit worked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, entrailsgalore.4150 said:

Tbh it was probably changed just to avoid lawsuits. I bet one of their lawyers was told something about some case, and they saw that their game had "Gambling" in it, and told the devs to change it.

So... you think there's an anti-gambling law that's based on quantity of gambling attempts? Never heard of it, please link that rule.
(...and yet BL chests are left unlimited?)

Not sure about that take, mate.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Falson.5284 said:

Pretty sure they limited it because there was some sort of duplication exploit linked to the system, not because they want people to stop gambling. That system was actually a pretty big gold sink, which they absolutely want in the economy. Probably is it ended up being a gold faucet for the exploiters. This is just what I've heard though, not sure if it's true or any details about how said exploit worked.

So you are just going to help spread potential misinformation?

They have done mass bans for that sort of exploits multiple times. What is the evidence for the exploit and that ANet is no longer willing to ban exploiters?

• Like 1
  • Confused 9

On 5/3/2023 at 12:26 PM, Noah Salazar.5430 said:

Heh, i see service on trading discord now

"i will gamble 20 sandstorms for you" kekw

gambling adiciton solved 10/10 hahaha

ppl posting in this topic gived me a good laught, not gona lie

I mean people aren't dumb, they are going to find other ways to achieve essentially the same result lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

Not sure about this change. I only tried the small versions every now and then. Trying one of the big ones (for 250 ectos and 100 gold) would be already tooo expensive in most cases. For someone with a ton of money it might be interesting to spam the big ones in a huge quantity - to hope for some lucky draws and then stopping maybe.

Ecto prices should not be influenced that much I guess. (Maybe they will get lower if there were a ton of players that gambled the big things.) Might affect more the price of that rune ... if the market empties. But I think the demand should not be that high anyways. (That one isn't even used for guild upgrades since it got introduced later.)

For fighting against gambling it does not make sense though. (Since it mainly affects ingame curency - unless people trade gems to gold a lot.) The black lion keys are a bigger factor there. And the runes are only from sandstorm.

I guess ... they just wanted to limit it in general. So people also "play" other content. (Though this is not really playing since it does not take a lot of time to just buy the stuff from the NPC open it and resell the results.)

About some bug/gold duplication: Don't know about this. Maybe people that claim this can give a link to a detailed thread where this has been explained? And explain how it is not possible anymore with a limit of 20. The patch notes to not explain that a bug got fixed. This would mean you still could use the bug ... but not as much as before. And the usual thing ArenaNet does is disabling the content completely. Then fixing the bug and re-enabling it. Well ... lets just hope - if it really was a bug - that it did not exist for that long. (Would be weird if there was an issue that existed since introduction of those ecto gambling and they only tried to limit it now.)

Edit: Though ... that actually could have been a thing - trying to do it a lot of times (if you had a lot of gold) and stopping if you were in the win/profit at one day. Then repeating the same thing next day. (But then counting your profits/losses from 0 again.) If for huge amounts it about 0 (no win no loss) and you stopped when just getting the good results and being in the profit a bit ... could work. But with low numbers per day that will be harder. You could just get unlucky that 20 times.

Edited by Luthan.5236