June 9 – June 23 World Restructuring Beta

On 5/30/2023 at 12:09 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Heads up! The next beta event for WvW World Restructuring begins on Friday, June 9 at each region’s respective weekly WvW reset, and concludes on June 23. You can learn more about the system here.

Great update! Hooray for support builds! 👍

A few questions:

1. What will happen to the map "Edge of the Mists" during this beta? Will it be based on the new 'teams' system too?
  2. Will the WvW LFG UI panel still work? (note: panel stopped working in the previous beta: it broadcasted to the assigned WvW server instead of the new WvW assigned teams)
  3. During beta, should we report & post bugs/issues to help the devs? If so, do we post it in this thread? Any guidelines? Thanks for all the hard work! 😄

3 hours ago, Woop S.7851 said:

What will happen to the map "Edge of the Mists" during this beta? Will it be based on the new 'teams' system too?

During the beta the servers and the red/blue/green matchup assignments of the servers will continue to exists, they will just be new/temporary servers / server names you are assigned to.  So you will play in EotM in your matchups server color, like before. If there are no bugs. 😉

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 7:32 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

There is! We've been looking into it and confirmed last night that this is a visual-only issue. If you select the guild using the "Set as WvW guild" button, it does register your selection even if it doesn't show up visually for you.

Unfortunately, there seems to be more - My selection is gone, and now i'm on some random server, separated from the guild I chose. I hope support can fix that (I sent a ticket).

• Like 3

My roommate and I logged in to do some WvW dailies and a bit of duo-roaming tonight. Neither of us have guilds.  We grouped up, queued up, then jumped into WvW w/in 1 min of each other... and wound up in different maps.  Come to find out we were assigned to different teams.  We were bummed we couldn't hop maps/teams and play w/ each other (unless there was something we missed, but we didn't see a way).

Wound up a sucky solo roaming experience for me, too, as everyone else seemed to be in groups/zergs.

edit: oh yeah, and while I was in the queue for WvW, I couldn't use my Home Portal Stone.  Got a weird error (InstanceCreate Failed. Error=1036; Product=9; Module=18; Line=624).  Not sure if that's a known issue, as I've never before tried using it while in queue (WvW queues aren't usually so large).

~EpWa

Edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643
  • Confused 2

Our guild was on a link server (not host) and had the issue of not being able to enter straight away. Cycling to login screen and then back to map fixed the issue but was too late as borderlands were queued to no end.

30ish of us in total, only half were able to get in. Not enough to actually compete again squads that got their full guilds in.

Disappointing start to the beta.

Edited by Draeyon.4392

Typical BETA screw ups.  Fix the alignments ANET!  If you can't then stop with the testing.  All you're doing is testing broken content.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the concept.  Fix the problems first, then TEST!  Many people are complaining they picked their guild prior to reset and have been separated from their guildies.  Stop acting like it's not a problem and FIX IT!

Edited by AngelOfDarkness.8025
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, EphemeralWallaby.7643 said:

My roommate and I logged in to do some WvW dailies and a bit of duo-roaming tonight. Neither of us have guilds.  We grouped up, queued up, then jumped into WvW w/in 1 min of each other... and wound up in different maps.  Come to find out we were assigned to different teams.  We were bummed we couldn't hop maps/teams and play w/ each other (unless there was something we missed, but we didn't see a way).

Wound up a sucky solo roaming experience for me, too, as everyone else seemed to be in groups/zergs.

edit: oh yeah, and while I was in the queue for WvW, I couldn't use my Home Portal Stone.  Got a weird error (InstanceCreate Failed. Error=1036; Product=9; Module=18; Line=624).  Not sure if that's a known issue, as I've never before tried using it while in queue (WvW queues aren't usually so large).

~EpWa

Under the WR system the sort will place non-guilded players to fill in spots as needed. It doesn't know anything about friends or regular matchmates. It just uses known links currently, which at this point is at the guild level. You might want to create a 2 player guild before we get to the release of the system so that you can ensure you both get linked together. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Draeyon.4392 said:

Our guild was on a link server (not host) and had the issue of not being able to enter straight away. Cycling to login screen and then back to map fixed the issue but was too late as borderlands were queued to no end.

30ish of us in total, only half were able to get in. Not enough to actually compete again squads that got their full guilds in.

Disappointing start to the beta.

I think everyone ran into a queuing bug last night, link or host.

• Like 1

I've started playing wvw the last few months after being a PvE player for 3 years. I was enjoying it. You could instantly identify with your side because of the server. Now the identity is lacking. I am in a guild of a 100+ but it is old and few active players. OK so join a new one. However the server scenario gave us an instant identity. SO for my vote - I don't like the restrucuring

Edited by Thormano.7806
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Coming from a long time player and have never ever graced the forums in my life to post but here I am. I got to this point in the game where I wanted to progress on maybe acquiring the legendary armor, so I did a little research and learned it's either raids or wvw. I'd like to point out the time isn't really an issue to acquire it or the work to do it but when it's the game making it harder for players like me to even think about progressing it. Well since I'm a solo player with no friends in game and the game has no queuing or matchmaking system to even think about raiding. I read about wvw and seen this bonus event was upcoming so I figured let's try out wvw. I jumped in just prior to this beta crap, and I actually was quite enjoying it. It actually gave me a new goal and renewed my passion for the game that has been slowly slipping away as there's less things to work towards. Then the beta started and me being not in a guild with no friends in game, the game chose to put me on the worst possible team I could be on and also facing the team I was on just previously before this beta when I first experienced wvw. So now I have no hope of progression unless I spend 24/7 in wvw and nothing else just to try and keep up participation and maybe cash in on some of this xp. So much for the bonus event experience and bringing in new people to the game mode. Now I've read here I'm stuck on this waste of time team for the remainder of the bonus event...are you kidding?!? Don't even get me started on the trying to get into/que wvw right now with half the population once inside going afk or running into a wall to not be kicked. Can you tell me how that affects matchmaking how that affects the outcome of the match before it's even played. Not to mention this is what all the new players coming into wvw for the first time will experience...Does that look good for the game mode?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, JadeX.1265 said:

Does that look good for the game mode?

Welll... does it look bad for the gamemode? Whats really the complaint about the mode itself here?

Everyone end up on the loosing team at some point. Everyone end up with a kitten link. Everyone end up with bandwagons leaving the world in tatters.

Is your carrot to play WvW just winning every matchup or the gamemode is "bad"? Is Anet supposed to stack new players intentionally on winning teams just so they can feel good?

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Like 1

Clearly the matchmaking is broken... I don't even need to go further into that read the forum. By saying Kitten whatever the kitten that means tells me your opinion means zero to me because that says everything I need to know. I don't care about winning every time but we should be rewarded for our time spent playing the mode, it's the whole reason we play the game in general is for progression for our account/character...Does it look good for the game mode when new players come into wvw and see people afk/running into walls doing nothing. No it looks as good to new players as the bot problems in the open world. My carrot as you call it is a long term goal but if I'm not gaining progress due to the game flaw then that's an issue.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

There's no point in playing during this clown beta.  I've been dumped onto what must be the bottom most team, where people literally refuse to fight and just run from everything and everyone is clueless about basic strategy.  We're somehow losing to two teams where I can routinely beat 3 opponents solo.  If I tag up and command, no one joins my squad, and I'm forced to just take camps and harrass roamers.  I had red keep wide open, outer and inner, for 5 hours straight tonight, and the tags made no attempt to take it despite my pleadings that it was wide open.  This simply isn't fun.  I have no reason to play at all during this beta and if beta becomes the new way wvw is played, i'm done with the game.  Why should I kill myself just to finish last two weeks in a row, and going forward?  Losing all the time isn't fun and clearly, Anet doesn't grasp this concept.  Way to New Coke your game, Anet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

A slight shuffle but the same exact thing. If you were playing with a group and you didn't join/set their guild you likely got put on another server with mostly new people and maybe a couple familiar faces.

I'm personally happy for the 25% reward track and 2x XP. That's nice. But it's the same WvW and that will continue to be the problem going forward.

The harsh truth is there is no fix. The playerbase has left outside of reward grinders and a tiny "hardcore" group of players. The game would need a massive influx of players it's never going to get. The combat system is complex but shallow. It's like wading through garbage and then learning the few key skills/actions that are most relevant to meta builds. Arena Net is not going to risk their much larger PvE playerbase for an overhaul of the combat system to make PvP more attractive to people in the hopes they return or try out PvP.

I'll probably keep playing to get my Diamond chests, tickets and maybe a bit beyond for reward track 25% boost but yeah... going from Tarnished Coast to First Haven or whatever... no significant change as of week one beyond Eternal Battlegrounds being inaccessible with a 40+ queue all through primetime.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 6/9/2023 at 9:39 PM, Corma.7268 said:

Unfortunately, there seems to be more - My selection is gone, and now i'm on some random server, separated from the guild I chose. I hope support can fix that (I sent a ticket).

Followup: Support isn't able too help. Apparently I have to live with it for the time of the beta. I'm annoyed, this problem is around since the start of the betas, and they are not prepared to help if it happens to some? 

Maybe the constant change in responsibility, new teams working on the restructuring every few months, isn't really helpful. At least some of the display bugs with server names in lists and notifications are fixed, there is a slight progress.

13 hours ago, Thormano.7806 said:

I've started playing wvw the last few months after being a PvE player for 3 years. I was enjoying it. You could instantly identify with your side because of the server. Now the identity is lacking. I am in a guild of a 100+ but it is old and few active players. OK so join a new one. However the server scenario gave us an instant identity. SO for my vote - I don't like the restrucuring

Completely agree with this. probably will skip next 2 weeks,it's not much fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Atoclone.4810 said:

what criteria was used to choose who was on which alliance as it seems really badly balanced. i've noticed that red has a few strictly wvw guilds that i recognise and i've not seen any on green or blue (eu).  

While Anet has previously indicated they could weigh alliances/guild/individual players to make better coverage, these betas probably have exactly none of that.

So the criteria is... it's random in order to form roughly the same sized teams. 

But something that should come as a shock to absolutely no one, same size does not necessarily mean same strength. Just a few dedicated guilds can make a TON of difference. That's what the 1 up 1 down tier based matchup system is supposed to handle - which is something that take like 4 weeks to start to settle even in normal link WvW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

But something that should come as a shock to absolutely no one, same size does not necessarily mean same strength. Just a few dedicated guilds can make a TON of difference. That's what the 1 up 1 down tier based matchup system is supposed to handle - which is something that take like 4 weeks to start to settle even in normal link WvW.

Absolutely true.

There exists something called "weighted average", whereby not all sample points are equal. In WvW terms, this means not all players should be counted as equal when talking about "averages" and this difference must be taking into account for matching purposes:

1. Many will not admit it, but mostly all players in the Lord Voldemort server (that which cannot be named) are way above your "average wvw player": they understand very well how and when to roam, gank, havoc or cloud; they carry builds they are good at for each purpose; they respond very quickly to calls for defence.
  2. A boonball comped guild with 20 people is way harder to beat than a pugmander squad of 30 people. And both can easily beat an unorganised cloud of 50 people: it all boils down on how easy it is to "kill tails" (i.e. pick up stray players).
  3. In roaming, a very good player can win more than 50% of the time when 1v2. This means that a single good roamer counts for more than 2 "average roamers".

This gets exacerbated in Alliances.

In an extreme case, you could have 200 people in blue team with exclusively 4 top comped guilds from tier 1, whilst in green team you could have 200 people that are guildless and were placed together by default. I believe no sane person will think this scenario is fair because it is 200 vs 200 players.

Edited by Meva.8327
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, JadeX.1265 said:

Clearly the matchmaking is broken... 

Well obviously, this is a beta, it's still testing the foundation of the system. All the additional variables are not in place. The first week after a new relinking or world creation is random placement not based on your previous week.

Clearly you're a new player who has no idea how wvw feels like from week to week, here's a hint it's not always roses and you're not always winning every week. There's a lot of highs and lows with the old system, and there will be for the new system. You run solo and have no guild, therefore no attachments, so what difference does it make who's around you for the beta. You've set your expectations too high for whatever reason from just playing a couple days.

Then coming to the forums to complain about queues when it's also the new players(like you) who are coming to wvw to get the wxp bonus and further clogging up the queues. Queues have been a normal thing for wvw since day one, and will always be present in wvw for as long as it continues in this four map system, get use to it, and maybe even thankful your world has enough on all the maps and not getting outnumbered. This is also why the fifth map of EOTM was created, to provide a space to play until your queue pops.

I logged on last night and all four maps had low queues, all maps had guilds and commanders running on them, even though we are red side and not winning the matchup, it didn't matter. Plenty of people were around and wasn't hard to find a fight and just play as usual. Unless you're getting spawn camped on all four of your queued maps I don't see why you can't progress this week.

https://i.imgur.com/jWBQtPJ.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Meva.8327 said:

In an extreme case, you could have 200 people in blue team with exclusively 4 top comped guilds from tier 1, whilst in green team you could have 200 people that are guildless and were placed together by default. I believe no sane person will think this scenario is fair because it is 200 vs 200 players.

While I understand your point, I really hope that anet is distributing the guilds evenly between worlds and only using individual players to even things out after all the guilds are placed.  It's hard to imagine anyone writing an algorithm that would create a world made up exclusively of individual players.