During the beta testing, are we able to keep mats harvested?

27 minutes ago, Helliwolf the KrimsonKnight.6523 said:

What do you mean by "tested"? I just tried depositing wood into my bank one piece at a time, and the total in bank looks to be incrementing. Does it disappear after a moment or something?

Just as you pointed out in your later message.  When I looked at my regular characters, those extras were gone.  Confirmation that things only look like they're falling into the bank, but actually aren't.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rhetrabushion.3618 said:

Silly question, I know, but I've noticed they fall into my bank, so I was wondering if those mats will remain (despite the warning of no progress saved) or if they will disappear at the end of the beta testing? 

Thank you!

If there is no bug when beta have ended, then you should be back where you where before beta where possible (only for beta characters - your normal charachter will work as normal as for Mats and Loot).

• Like 1

As before, this makes me reluctant to play beta characters. My luck I'll finally get a precursor or some other really cool thing and POOF. Gone. I can see taking away the stuff provided for the test, but drops and mats we pick up in the course of testing, what logical reason is there to not let us keep it? Alternately, why not just make it so we don't get any drops at all?

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

38 minutes ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

As before, this makes me reluctant to play beta characters. My luck I'll finally get a precursor or some other really cool thing and POOF. Gone. I can see taking away the stuff provided for the test, but drops and mats we pick up in the course of testing, what logical reason is there to not let us keep it? Alternately, why not just make it so we don't get any drops at all?

This is heresay but apparently if you do manage to get a precursor on a beta character you can contact support.

The separation exist because otherwise you are providing everyone with an item duping exploit.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

So how does this work exactly? Should I minimize playing a beta test character since any drops during the playtime go away? How about WvW xp?

I don't know about WvW xp, but it seems all progress, xp, items, mats, etc, are lost. This truly is a just a test run with no saved items/progress from the testing.  I may be wrong, but go in thinking you won't walk out with anything in hand except the experience of testing new weapons for the core professions.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rhetrabushion.3618 said:

I don't know about WvW xp, but it seems all progress, xp, items, mats, etc, are lost. This truly is a just a test run with no saved items/progress from the testing.  I may be wrong, but go in thinking you won't walk out with anything in hand except the experience of testing new weapons for the core professions.  

Thank you much. I probably won't bother participating then since any time spent on beta characters is a waste when I'm working towards various goals in game. At least if XP/spirit shards were earned it might be justified.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Thank you much. I probably won't bother participating then since any time spent on beta characters is a waste when I'm working towards various goals in game. At least if XP/spirit shards were earned it might be justified.

I see your point, and fully agree. Hope I'm wrong about it not counting but evidence is it doesn't. :( 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Would definitely say only play this with the idea of testing out new content. I spent a few hours running around trying builds I've never played before with the new weapons. Along the way, I stopped by some collection achievement stuff that I happened to pass by. Then I hopped on my main and saw that none of that progress tracked! So don't bother trying to accomplish stuff. Only have fun! lol

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Helliwolf the KrimsonKnight.6523 said:

Would definitely say only play this with the idea of testing out new content. I spent a few hours running around trying builds I've never played before with the new weapons. Along the way, I stopped by some collection achievement stuff that I happened to pass by. Then I hopped on my main and saw that none of that progress tracked! So don't bother trying to accomplish stuff. Only have fun! lol

The only new content is that we can now use weapon on profession that needed elite as trait to be active on character (otherwise it  would be kept on character, but greyed out (deactivated)).

There are also some new weapon that one can use in addition to what we had before beta that can be used.

But as for content as in story, new map and change in Runes with Relic that is still not in this beta, so there isn't much to actually judge if SoTO will be worth to buy or just something one can skip for now.

Not even Skyscale have yet got any extra mastery to test out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

The only new content is that we can now use weapon on profession that needed elite as trait to be active on character (otherwise it  would be kept on character, but greyed out (deactivated)).

There are also some new weapon that one can use in addition to what we had before beta that can be used.

But as for content as in story, new map and change in Runes with Relic that is still not in this beta, so there isn't much to actually judge if SoTO will be worth to buy or just something one can skip for now.

Not even Skyscale have yet got any extra mastery to test out.

The explanation was pretty clear that this was a test of the new weapon mastery system and nothing more. If you are the kind of person who likes to experiment with builds, it is a fun little thing to do as anet made every possible weapon and armor combo available. That is all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Rhetrabushion.3618 said:

Of course its lost.

Here is how it works from what we know:

Before the beta, Anet duplicate the entire account database (ie all your progress, bank, etc) into a "beta server" which could even be an entirely different instance version of the game (in this particular case its shared though).

The new character slots actually logs you on to this duplicated server. Its completely separate from your regular characters.

Any progress will then only occur within that bubble.

When its deleted... everything you did on it is gone.

This is how GW2 betas has worked for 11 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Of course its lost.

Here is how it works from what we know:

Before the beta, Anet duplicate the entire account database (ie all your progress, bank, etc) into a "beta server" which could even be an entirely different instance version of the game (in this particular case its shared though).

The new character slots actually logs you on to this duplicated server. Its completely separate from your regular characters.

Any progress will then only occur within that bubble.

When its deleted... everything you did on it is gone.

This is how GW2 betas has worked for 11 years.

Thank you for the explanation. None of the betas I participated in worked like this (WvW) so this is new information. That's why I asked before spending time on it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, idpersona.3810 said:

Thank you for the explanation. None of the betas I participated in worked like this (WvW) so this is new information. That's why I asked before spending time on it.

That, too, is why I asked. I've never participated in the betas before :classic_biggrin: Thank you!

Edited by Rhetrabushion.3618
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1