I think we are way overdue for new playable races [Merged]

Not needed + it would need own/different personal story. If then they'd have to make multiple ones. Since a lot of people want Tengu and people that would like to see something else would complain them. Simmiler vice versa when they did not to Tengu ... Tengu fans would complain. Better to focus on other things.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Not needed + it would need own/different personal story. If then they'd have to make multiple ones. Since a lot of people want Tengu and people that would like to see something else would complain them. Simmiler vice versa when they did not to Tengu ... Tengu fans would complain. Better to focus on other things.

That's an extremely lazy argument to make when you consider personal story stuff isn't that complicated to begin with. You saying they aren't needed clearly shows your lack of awareness with the game and it's fans tbh. I wouldn't consider myself a Tengu fan but it's pretty obvious  they're going to get added eventually, or even why Anet is going to be shooting themselves in the foot for not capitalizing on this lucrative idea. Should honestly be interesting to see either way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Oh but it is complicated. Especially since they have "spaghetti code". Even if they made separate stories (would be the thing that makes the most sense - to cut them short and cut out Zhaitan there) it could still mean a lot of work. And just because a few people might want it ... does not mean it is lucrative. The people would need to be willing to pay huge amount of money just to unlock that class. That few people that want it. Does need to outweigh the cost.

If ... then it would be best to put in Largos and Kodan as well. (I'd prefer Largos - at least at the same time as Tengu or before them. Not first giving Tengu than putting other races on hold for tooo long.) And a separate story where the story actually could be a selling point. (Starting it after the dragon cycle - omitting all the story we had now. And giving them something totally separate to go with. Where they would not turn into the commander. But where it could overlap later with the commander's storyline from the classic chars.)

• Thanks 1

I think there's no greater indication that the best days of GW2 are behind us than anet's evident lack of desire -- or, perhaps, their inability -- to tackle and conquer the challenges required to make new races (and stories for them) possible. I fear the days when innovation was the driving force behind the game and the company are long gone. Like sands through the hourglass...

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

18 minutes ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

I think there's no greater indication that the best days of GW2 are behind us than anet's evident lack of desire -- or, perhaps, their inability -- to tackle and conquer the challenges required to make new races (and stories for them) possible. I fear the days when innovation was the driving force behind the game and the company are long gone. Like sands through the hourglass...

Certainly cost has nothing to do with it.  Must be lack of desire.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Am going to be blunt "No!". The game suffers badly from all systems and development direction and recourses already. I just cant see them having recourses to remake all old clothing weapons and animations and tonics work with the new race let alone also find 2 new voice actors and pay them to voice every old line in game + all new stuff.
that's lot recourses going be pulled from other reword and modelling departments. if something like this happens you probly see big drop in map rewords and unlocks from new strikes and fractals and so forth. 

Edited by Jay.5128
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Isn't a lot of work on the tengu models already done? I believe there's also lots of overlap in that regard with the charr models. Similarly, the largos model is REALLY not different from the human model and can probably share MOST outfits. 

Its a good idea, Anet, and maybe you cant do it today. But what will you do for Expansion 4 5, expansion 5 6? 

Take our money, create a new starter zone with a new race and base an expansion off of it. Come on do itttt. 🤤

Edited by loonatic.1689

On 7/4/2023 at 2:49 PM, Parasite.5389 said:

I hightly doubt Anet is going to invest in hiring actors to re-record 11 years of Dialogue for a new race, and no, grunting isn't an acceptable workaround

I would prefer some combination of reusing dialogue from the other ten VAs at random, plus unintelligible intern wailing that was recorded on accident.

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, Tachenon.5270 said:

So, if they didnt create new races in the first days after launch, does that mean that GW2's best days were behind it at launch?

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

I always assumed Awakened was going to be the next playable race - because there is a version of them for every playable race and they wouldn't need new armor or new voice lines. They could simply change to awakened cosmetically after reaching level 80 and going through some story step. 
But it never happened. 
People supposed Tengu would be the first new playable race, stating the long held belief that they were supposed to be here instead of charr but developers themselves refuted that. 
Some people imagined Largos would be next , for a great battle against a sea dragon. 
Some fan once made a Skritt character creation page which was extremely convincing and cute. 
people have asked for Kodan. 

We all have hopes and dreams but after how they've cut down the developer team, and the pattern of shorter releases - I just think these dreams would be too much work for the studio as it is, unless it was a passion project of a dedicated team who shares those dreams. 

I...kind of still hope but I know the odds.