Relics Bring New Equipment to Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure

33 minutes ago, ZeroTheRuler.7415 said:

I think so too, that it's a bit of testing the waters. Maybe it did fly under the radar. I am not saying you are in favor of it or not

I am not, we have enough gear pieces as it is.

While the relic system is a good idea per se (it's the implementation that's lacking) because giving players more freedom in customization is always a good thing, the jade bot has no reason to exist, it feels like adding something just for the sake of it, they could have made it cosmetic only if they wanted to sell skins - tho I still wonder who would buy skins for something you almost never see.

33 minutes ago, ZeroTheRuler.7415 said:

IF it's a single page it makes switching builds burdensome, especially if the relic needs to be different (We will need to go into the menu, probably switch tabs in the menu, have to click 2 or 3 other places and use a relic from our inventory).

But with having said all of that, if it's not tied to builds or armor then AND is on a single page then perhaps...

I wonder if the relic page could have multiple spaces or slots for different equipment tabs to use. It would be like a "utility belt". When switching equipment tabs you could also switch the equipped relic. That way you could set things there and the burdensome part I mentioned would be gone.

PS. I have no idea how a legendary relic would work in that case though...

The showed 2 screenshots in the blog post, from those it seems relics will be items like trinkets, so I gather you'll need one per build and a legendary will work exactly like legendary trinkets.

• Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Geralt.7519 said:

I am not, we have enough gear pieces as it is.

While the relic system is a good idea per se (it's the implementation that's lacking) because giving players more freedom in customization is always a good thing, the jade bot has no reason to exist, it feels like adding something just for the sake of it, they could have made it cosmetic only if they wanted to sell skins - tho I still wonder who would buy skins for something you almost never see.

I agree with this.

13 hours ago, Geralt.7519 said:

The showed 2 screenshots in the blog post, from those it seems relics will be items like trinkets, so I gather you'll need one per build and a legendary will work exactly like legendary trinkets.

Oh, I had not seen that screenshot yet. Most of my worries were related to relics being similar to the jade bot system where you might have had only one relic for all equipment tabs.

Edited by ZeroTheRuler.7415
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, pooiyx.7860 said:

@Rubi Bayer.8493 Hi Rubi, any update on this question? 

No doubt it's going to be behind a paywall, the same with new OW legendary armors.

Just like the raid legendary armors needed HoT, some legendary trinkets needed PoF and crafting 2nd gen and 3rd gen legendary weapons needed expansions too.

Edited by kurogane.9681
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 7/21/2023 at 4:25 PM, Vortus.2801 said:

You compare Gyala Map with an expansion with:

- Biggest reward improvements in 11 years of GW2
- Fractal + Cm
- Strike + Cm
- New weapons for all classes
- Weapon master
- New Legendary armor set
- 3 maps
- The lore what we are waiting to know something about since 18 years ago
- New masteries for Skyscale
- New freature: Relics

Yes, you've definitely just proven that you complain just for the sake of complaining. This concludes our interaction. Goodbye and take care.

You hit the nail on the head, especially the LORE that took way too kittening long! lol

• Confused 2

6 hours ago, kurogane.9681 said:

No doubt it's going to be behind a paywall, the same with new OW legendary armors.

Just like the raid legendary armors needed HoT, some legendary trinkets needed PoF and crafting 2nd gen and 3rd gen legendary weapons needed expansions too.

The difference is, all those legendaries were just addition to the game, they didn't take something away from existing legendaries to move it to the new ones, so having those new ones locked to new xpacs is perfectly fine.

Having a legendary relic locked the same way is not, ofc Anet can do it, but it would be a kitten move to do so.

Edited by Geralt.7519
  • Like 8
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Geralt.7519 said:

The difference is, all those legendaries were just addition to the game, they didn't take something away from existing legendaries to move it to the new ones, so having those new ones locked to new xpacs is perfectly fine.

Having a legendary relic locked the same way is not, ofc Anet can do it, but it would be a kitten move to do so.

From the lack of infos they released so far, needing SotO expansion might be expected to craft legendary relics. But if you ask me, I don't think Anet devs are dumb not knowing the impact of this rune/relic change to players who already have 6+ legendary runes. I'm starting to think that this issue and them  ignoring relevant queries now are probably a marketing noise to generate attention for the upcoming expansion. 

Hopefully at the end of the day, Anet will give a satisfactory compensation to players with 6+ legendary runes. And maybe at worst, crafting legendary relics can be unlock with ANY expansion purchase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

@Rubi Bayer.8493 i suppose i have another question about the relic boxes....

1) Will the relics granted from the boxes be character bound or account bound? (i'm assuming they willl be at least Bound to Account to prevent people from selling them straight out of the Relic Boxes... but would actually be pleasantly surprised if they're not bound at all.) At least Bound to Account would let me distribute the relics to which builds i deem appropriate. (since i have 72 characters and don't use all 3 equipment slots on all 72 characters, but i have at least 9 characters who use all 8 equipment / build slots.

2) Speaking of build and equipment slots: please open up at least 2 more on August 22, since Weaponsmaster Training will allow for more builds...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

At least from my standpoint, I think it entirely depends on what "significant progress" even is. We literally have no idea at this time.

i already bought and crafted 7 runes for the 6tier bonus. getting less than i had before no matter how much less is still less.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

41 minutes ago, Peter.3901 said:

Still, significant progress is not enough.

12 minutes ago, Balsa.3951 said:

i already bought and crafted 7 runes for the 6tier bonus. getting less than i had before no matter how much less is still less.

I'm inclined to agree, I'm just not maximalist in my view of it. And I want to know what "significant progress" actually means before cementing my opinion.

I can possibly see 6 runes needing some additional work. 7 absolutely should be enough to be given the relic (imo) since the 7th rune is almost literally worthless without that 6th tier special bonus, since that's 100% the entire point of crafting the 7th rune.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I can possibly see 6 runes needing some additional work. 7 absolutely should be enough to be given the relic (imo) since the 7th rune is almost literally worthless without that 6th tier special bonus, since that's 100% the entire point of crafting the 7th rune.

That's actually true, alot of the players didn't go for the water one. But still, for those whon went even as far as crafting the 7th one not to be given, even after underwater was thrown away..

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

We know what significant progress is not though.

Yes and no. They've stated you won't get the relic for free. But we don't actually know what the cost will end up being. There's a lot of room between "free" and any sort of significant cost. I don't believe they actually know at this point. It seems like now that the initial outrage has died down some, communication is lacking and they've maybe moved on? I don't know. I would guess they've moved it tway down in priority since they've decided they don't need to roll out the relic until sometime next year. (which, to be clear: sucks for all of us)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

@Rubi Bayer.8493 i suppose i have another question about the relic boxes....

1) Will the relics granted from the boxes be character bound or account bound? (i'm assuming they willl be at least Bound to Account to prevent people from selling them straight out of the Relic Boxes... but would actually be pleasantly surprised if they're not bound at all.) At least Bound to Account would let me distribute the relics to which builds i deem appropriate. (since i have 72 characters and don't use all 3 equipment slots on all 72 characters, but i have at least 9 characters who use all 8 equipment / build slots.

2) Speaking of build and equipment slots: please open up at least 2 more on August 22, since Weaponsmaster Training will allow for more builds...

Nr 1 is answered in the blog post.

When the expansion launches, each character of level 60 or above will receive a relic chest to get you started in the new system with a choice of three core relics (exact number subject to change). Additional core relics will not be account bound and can be crafted and shared between players.

By that wording the first 3 or how ever many each character get will be account bound, maybe even soulbound.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Confused 1

@Rubi Bayer.8493 How will things be for people who did not made their Legendary Runes before the "deadline" ?

Will the Legendary Runes still give progress toward the Legendary Relic later ? Will making the Legendary Relic give progress toward the Legendary Runes ?

Will the Legendary Runes recipes be made cheaper ?

Should people rush to make Legendary Runes before the "deadline" ? Is the deadline the release of Secrets of the Obscure or is it the release of the Legendary Relic ? And people who don't will be penalized by having to bear the full cost of making the Legendary Runes along the Legendary Relic ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1