arcDPS - allowed?

hi, few players mentioned the ability to compare ur dps with others using arcDPS and i want to make sure its ok by ur EULA so i wont get banned.

if it is bannable do you have an alternative? i want to see how i progress, what skills/combos/builds help me do higher dps

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

yes, you can use safely (you won't get banned).

no, I won't do it. Last time I try to use it, I had to reinstall both the game client AND windows cuz that thing managed to screw them both.

Yes same last time i tried it ages ago it messed my game as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Takanoshy.5297 said:

hi, few players mentioned the ability to compare ur dps with others using arcDPS and i want to make sure its ok by ur EULA so i wont get banned.

if it is bannable do you have an alternative? i want to see how i progress, what skills/combos/builds help me do higher dps

Yes you can use it, although it is not directly supported by Anet.

Just be aware that it tends to break with every major patch. This can be annoying as it will crash your game client when it does and you will have to disable it until it gets updated (usually within a day or two), but this can be a source of annoyance come patch day, especially when you are used to using it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Sounds highly unlikely. It is more likely that you didn't install it correctly. 😉

but how do you mess up downloading a single file? With the sole exception of doing something stupid like downloading it to your systems folder it will either be correct or do nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

but how do you mess up downloading a single file?

You don't just download it. Since the GWS2 folder restructuring with the introduction of the Chrome Embedded Framework, the files need to be stored at different locations and the main DLL needs to be renamed, at least when you are using other 3rd party software along with it, like e.g. ReShade.

• Like 2

Nope, use at your own risk.
As the friend posted above:

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013625034

Note: ArenaNet does not review, approve, or endorse any third-party program. Each use of such a program is made at the account holder’s own risk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

no, I won't do it. Last time I try to use it, I had to reinstall both the game client AND windows cuz that thing managed to screw them both.

Chances are the user was the issue here 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

you can't. You just downloaded one single file right into your GW2 folder and that was it. Dunno about any changes mentioned since the last time I downloaded that thing was more than a year ago.

And how exactly did your game AND windows both get screwed up?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Several years ago there was a thread where someone official from Arena Net said that ArcDPS was OK. Definitely at own risk, not supported, etc, but the principle of what it was doing was allowed. Of course Arena Net might change their mind but given how widely used ArcDPS is I think they would publish that they were changing their mind before going after people.

Unfortunately I don't know where the thread/page is - Google might find it or someone else might link it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

The people linking to the third party app policy are hilarious.  The sheer amount of mental gymnastics you have to do to pretend like a huge portion of the gw2 population hasn't used arcdps for literal YEARS without issue and trying to pretend that arenanet just hasn't noticed yet and are going to figure it out suddenly ANY second now and ban everyone is hilarious.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

And how exactly did your game AND windows both get screwed up?

I don't know. Started with the common crashes after an update, delete the thing, game kept crashing, deleted the whole game (including all related folders) and reinstalled it, game kept crashing, then did a clean win reinstall and everything was back to normal.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Yeah, it can cause issues with the game sometimes after an update when the 3rd party tool hasn't been updated yet for the game's patch.

Like the 3rd party tool would sometimes run into an error that crashes the game right after the game had a new update. I do remember having to uninstall it a few times during such times until the 3rd party tool itself got an update.

As long as the tool doesn't give you an unfair advantage over other players or somehow manipulates what you're able to accomplish ingame you should be fine with using it. Also as long as you never use a tool as a reason to harrass over players - like pointing fingers and calling out how someone isn't doing enough dps. I could imagine doing so may more easily lead to getting reported and possibly getting a punishment. (though there are kind ways of letting someone know that they could be doing better)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Several years ago there was a thread where someone official from Arena Net said that ArcDPS was OK. Definitely at own risk, not supported, etc, but the principle of what it was doing was allowed. Of course Arena Net might change their mind but given how widely used ArcDPS is I think they would publish that they were changing their mind before going after people.

Unfortunately I don't know where the thread/page is - Google might find it or someone else might link it.

That was a long time ago. Are these new devs still ok with it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Doesn't seem very plausible to me that they would start banning people for using it

That's a lot of users that would be banned

Including some of the biggest GW2 content creators

If they decided to make it not okay to use, we would probably get a warning first 

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

That was a long time ago. Are these new devs still ok with it?

ArcDPS use is so widespread within certain subcommunities, that you can be sure if Anet were ever to change their mind on the issue, they would make an official statement about it. But unless they someday decide they no longer want to see it around, you won't hear them commenting on this. They may let people use it, but they won't ever support its use or endorse it in any way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

I don't know. Started with the common crashes after an update, delete the thing, game kept crashing, deleted the whole game (including all related folders) and reinstalled it, game kept crashing, then did a clean win reinstall and everything was back to normal.

So you did something else (failing the instalation/removal not excluded) which caused the crashes even after reinstalling and then decided it was whatever you wanted it to be. And now you're repeating it here despite not really knowing? 😉

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/24/2023 at 8:49 AM, Khisanth.2948 said:

but how do you mess up downloading a single file? With the sole exception of doing something stupid like downloading it to your systems folder it will either be correct or do nothing.

They could have somehow downloaded a malicious file instead. Maybe instead of googling it, they got a special link from someone.

Sometimes an outdated version would crash.

They could also be running an overly active virus "scanner" that gives false positives  like preinstalled Norton or something.

Or perhaps the computer already had issues already and it was merely a symptom. Could be a overheating/dying computer which would only display symptoms while playing some games.

Back in 2016 I played the game on a 2007/8 computer with 2gb of ram. A lot of weird stuff happened, and then it croaked in Red Borderlands. 🙃

Anyhow, back to the topic, addons like these are not disallowed, but use at own risk.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480