I Just got the Skyscale....and It feel Very bittersweet.

I am going to be one of those.  I'm a vet and that is really petty.  I mean, so what.  If the skyscale is easier for them, it doesn't diminish what you went through.  On my scrapper, I solo every hero point.  Other people ask for help and I run and happily help them.  It doesn't diminish the fact that I did it all on my own.  This game was and should be all about people helping people.  That's why it's so unique.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, craphunter.5098 said:

It's not about not wishing to share the ball, as mentioned I don't have an issue with new players getting the skyscale. I have an issue that there isn't some acknowledgement for those who got the mount during the time it was harder to get. Like some kind of title or something that makes it feel like the journey was worth it.

I mean I got mine literally the day before they changed the 24hr timegate to a 1hr timegate and I don't think we deserve anything special. 

• Like 4

What I don't understand is why people complain about the time it takes to get the skyscale. The only real lengthy process is farming map currency (can easily be skipped by "return to" achievements) getting to certain high places (you can grab friends or guild mates for a few seconds) and a few difficult events.

I think that if any mount should be complained about it's the griffon because it cost so much gold, and you have to complete several difficult achievements to unlock it but is very rewarding.

If anet decides to make it easier to get certain things I'm fine with that. A lot of other things take much longer (legies, doing anything in wvw, farming gold, farming trophies, etc.)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, craphunter.5098 said:

So to start I've played GW2 on and off for 10 years. Hell my first true online gaming experience was GW1. I've enjoyed the GW2's story and the characters immensely through the base game, living world and expansions. Especially characters like Taimi, Canach and ofcourse Tybalt of whom the mention of apples still almost brings a tear to my eye everytime. I've never gotten bored of the combat system even with me using mostly physical range combat (Engineer Holosmith, Thief Deadeye) and the scope to customize my playstyle is greatly apreciated. Finally I gotta say the mount system is one of the best I've seen in any MMO game yet and I have played a fair few MMOs. WOW, FF14, ESO, Fallen Earth classic, New World, (Yes it is an MMO despite amazon's best attempts at bastardizing it) Division 1 &2, etc. Each mount brings its own use and effectiveness to the table that can make a struggling player's life much, much easier. 

So why did I uninstall the game literary minutes after unlocking the Skyscale mount? My answer depending on your view could easily come across as either very petty or understandable. But honestly? I feel empty, I feel no joy, no dancing desire, no feelings of accomplishment and pride, just a hollow bittersweet victory. It wasn't solely because of the journey I had to do to get the Fraking thing for any who are curious if its that. I am aware of the amount of players who burn out trying to get the mount. My reason is because in less than three weeks, the process of getting the Skyscale will be streamlined for all players. In less than three weeks, If I had known I could just have simply waited for the mount and saved myself the bother and just bought the blasted skyscale. Bad timing on my part I guess...

I can already tell some will judge me as a gatekeeping vet who seemingly only wants noobs to suffer the same pain as he felt to feel like they're part of a special hierarchy. I tell you now that that is not the case. After putting the collection series off for years due to the ridiculous and obnoxious tasks you have to go through to simply get the skyscale. I finally set myself the goal of getting it and having gone through 3/4s of the journey, in the very last stage I find out the next expansion will streamline the process for everyone seemingly without any real consolidations for those who have already unlocked it or are in the process of unlocking it.  So you can understand a little bit at least why I am pissed off at Arena net. Sure we've heard from the news that those who've gone through the masteries will have new things unlocked automatically. Whoop de Fraking do.

Is it too much to ask for a unique bonus for the work I've put in for something? Like would it be gatekeeping if Arena net created a unique skin for the skyscale in the expansion for those who completed the collection series? Just something to make it feel like it was worth the effort. Because right now I feel like I've wasted tons my time for a god kitten flying worm with wings.

I'm honestly happy that the newer players/those who skipped or waited will be able to avoid the tedious and frankly ridiculous quest collection to get skyscale and I'm sure GW2 will have some fun mechanics, stories and worlds for them to explore. After many years the community can all enjoy a cool flying mount with hella useful abilities that makes traversal a breeze.
But for me, at this moment I want no part of it. 
I've uninstalled GW2 and for at least until the new year, possibly longer I will not touch this game and I will be very unlikely to purchase any more content. Because If Arena net will not respect my time, energy and effort. I won't give them any business in return.

If any Arena Net dev or someone who works in Arena net sees this post. Please take this message from a dejected Fan. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Dang, that sounds like a massive grind to me lol

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Sorry you didn't get a participation trophy.  The reward is being able to have a full use skyscale now.  Why does it diminish your fun that other people might get one differently in the future?  I have had mine since the first month they were added.  Before they made it easier.  I don't begrudge players who got it a year later.   It's a very poor reason to uninstall a game, imo.  Anyway, congrats on completion, hope you decide to enjoy the game as is someday and enjoy your skyscale.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Sorry you didn't get a participation trophy.  The reward is being able to have a full use skyscale now.  Why does it diminish your fun that other people might get one differently in the future?  I have had mine since the first month they were added.  Before they made it easier.  I don't begrudge players who got it a year later.   It's a very poor reason to uninstall a game, imo.  Anyway, congrats on completion, hope you decide to enjoy the game as is someday and enjoy your skyscale.

Again I do not have an issue that newer players will get it easier. I am glad that they won't need to go through the collection in order to enjoy the skyscale. And my Respects to you for going through the Frakfest that was the harder version of the skyscale collection. The main issue I've had throughout this main conversation is that due to the fraking bad timing of that announcement combined with the rough grind that I had gone through up to that point, tipped me over the edge and made me feel like I had been shafted. Yes I get it, Mastery bonus good, Not that you've read my original post but I will repeat myself. I just don't care about those Fraking masteries. Especially not since the completing the new streamline collection will give the player a free skin. Why not give those who worked hard for the thing their own skin!? What is honestly wrong with wanting a reward that matches your efforts!? That's all I've had issue with. That is singularly the main problem I have right now with GW2. It Just does not feel worth it at this moment. Surely you can understand at least in part how frustrating it'd be if you were in the similar circumstances. 

Edited by craphunter.5098
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

But they are thinking about the whole playerbase, not just the tiny minority that deferred completing Skyscale until this month.
I got my skyscale early on, and its pretty much the only mount I've used ever since. I didn't find it a grind and I certainly don't need any compensation just because new players might have a streamlined way of joining the skyscale family.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

But they are thinking about the whole playerbase, not just the tiny minority that deferred completing Skyscale until this month.
I got my skyscale early on, and its pretty much the only mount I've used ever since. I didn't find it a grind and I certainly don't need any compensation just because new players might have a streamlined way of joining the skyscale family.

That argument is the equivalent of "get gud" If you read my post all the way through you'll have noted in that and on multiple replies that I have no problems in the newer playerbase getting the skyscale. My issue with Arena net is that apart from some masteries there are no unqiue rewards put aside for someone who's gone through the collection. If there was a mount skin (like the one that everyone unlocks in the new collection) or hell even a pair of flying goggles that you'd get for completing the grind then I'd feel like there was a reason for the getting it. 

• Confused 8
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, craphunter.5098 said:

That argument is the equivalent of "get gud" If you read my post all the way through you'll have noted in that and on multiple replies that I have no problems in the newer playerbase getting the skyscale. My issue with Arena net is that apart from some masteries there are no unqiue rewards put aside for someone who's gone through the collection. If there was a mount skin (like the one that everyone unlocks in the new collection) or hell even a pair of flying goggles that you'd get for completing the grind then I'd feel like there was a reason for the getting it. 

Apart from some unique rewards for those who go through the original collection there are no unique rewards for going through the original collection...

It seems as if the issue isn't that you wont have access to unique rewards, because you will, but rather that you would prefer a different unique reward. I get that. We all have our own preferences, but phrasing the matter as if no unique rewards are being offered is just not accurate.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, craphunter.5098 said:

I just don't care about those Fraking masteries. Especially not since the completing the new streamline collection will give the player a free skin. Why not give those who worked hard for the thing their own skin!?

I mean, so TL;DR, you don't like the compensation they are offering. Why are masteries/skills not a reward that match the efforts but a skin/title is? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:
5 minutes ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

I mean, so TL;DR, you don't like the compensation they are offering. Why are masteries/skills not a reward that match the efforts but a skin/title is? 

Masteries are all well and good but after using it for a while, you'll barely notice it. But having a skin or some unique cosmetic just adds that extra personal sense of satisfaction that won't go away with time so easily.

• Confused 9

18 hours ago, craphunter.5098 said:

I know a fair few people will view this post this way. This post may not amount to much but surely you can appreciate that spending alot of time and energy for something then finding out near the end you needn't have bothered would probably irritate you to some degree right?

No because, at least for me, as long as it gets done or I acquire it somehow and I'm able to enjoy it than who cares. BDO did this exact thing actually. There are these rare horses call dream horses that are basically rng and takes rare materials. Sometimes you'll get it in one tap, sometimes you'll get it in 50. They had an event recently that basically distributed to thousands to players these said dream horses after them being considered a commodity for so long. There's also a horse rarer than it now, so they basically had a skyscale situation. Most or majority of players are happy that they can zoom around on a fire horse, heal with their unicorn, or fly across heights with their pegasus without so much of a bat of an eyelash. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Apart from some unique rewards for those who go through the original collection there are no unique rewards for going through the original collection...

It seems as if the issue isn't that you wont have access to unique rewards, because you will, but rather that you would prefer a different unique reward. I get that. We all have our own preferences, but phrasing the matter as if no unique rewards are being offered is just not accurate.

The "unique" rewards I've gained so far from this grind is the mount itself. whoop de fraking do. The knowledge that the bonus masteries I'll unlock will give me bonuses in comparison to those who haven't gone through it. Apart from the achievement points I honestly don't see nor have I seen any real rewards for this. Not even an unlockable cosmetic for the character before all of this. What am I missing then?

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, SuavePuppy.2809 said:

completing the new streamline collection will give the player a free skin.

Who said the collection that is unlocked after completing the new Skyscale Mastery is streamlined?  It could be easy and quick, or it could be long and drawn-out.  We have no idea. 

Once you’ve unlocked the skyscale in Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure, you’ll get access to a new skyscale skin collection. Completing that will award you a terrifying and beautiful Kryptis-themed skyscale skin.

19 hours ago, craphunter.5098 said:

So to start I've played GW2 on and off for 10 years. Hell my first true online gaming experience was GW1. I've enjoyed the GW2's story and the characters immensely through the base game, living world and expansions. Especially characters like Taimi, Canach and ofcourse Tybalt of whom the mention of apples still almost brings a tear to my eye everytime. I've never gotten bored of the combat system even with me using mostly physical range combat (Engineer Holosmith, Thief Deadeye) and the scope to customize my playstyle is greatly apreciated. Finally I gotta say the mount system is one of the best I've seen in any MMO game yet and I have played a fair few MMOs. WOW, FF14, ESO, Fallen Earth classic, New World, (Yes it is an MMO despite amazon's best attempts at bastardizing it) Division 1 &2, etc. Each mount brings its own use and effectiveness to the table that can make a struggling player's life much, much easier. 

So why did I uninstall the game literary minutes after unlocking the Skyscale mount? My answer depending on your view could easily come across as either very petty or understandable. But honestly? I feel empty, I feel no joy, no dancing desire, no feelings of accomplishment and pride, just a hollow bittersweet victory. It wasn't solely because of the journey I had to do to get the Fraking thing for any who are curious if its that. I am aware of the amount of players who burn out trying to get the mount. My reason is because in less than three weeks, the process of getting the Skyscale will be streamlined for all players. In less than three weeks, If I had known I could just have simply waited for the mount and saved myself the bother and just bought the blasted skyscale. Bad timing on my part I guess...

I can already tell some will judge me as a gatekeeping vet who seemingly only wants noobs to suffer the same pain as he felt to feel like they're part of a special hierarchy. I tell you now that that is not the case. After putting the collection series off for years due to the ridiculous and obnoxious tasks you have to go through to simply get the skyscale. I finally set myself the goal of getting it and having gone through 3/4s of the journey, in the very last stage I find out the next expansion will streamline the process for everyone seemingly without any real consolidations for those who have already unlocked it or are in the process of unlocking it.  So you can understand a little bit at least why I am pissed off at Arena net. Sure we've heard from the news that those who've gone through the masteries will have new things unlocked automatically. Whoop de Fraking do.

Is it too much to ask for a unique bonus for the work I've put in for something? Like would it be gatekeeping if Arena net created a unique skin for the skyscale in the expansion for those who completed the collection series? Just something to make it feel like it was worth the effort. Because right now I feel like I've wasted tons my time for a god kitten flying worm with wings.

I'm honestly happy that the newer players/those who skipped or waited will be able to avoid the tedious and frankly ridiculous quest collection to get skyscale and I'm sure GW2 will have some fun mechanics, stories and worlds for them to explore. After many years the community can all enjoy a cool flying mount with hella useful abilities that makes traversal a breeze.
But for me, at this moment I want no part of it. 
I've uninstalled GW2 and for at least until the new year, possibly longer I will not touch this game and I will be very unlikely to purchase any more content. Because If Arena net will not respect my time, energy and effort. I won't give them any business in return.

If any Arena Net dev or someone who works in Arena net sees this post. Please take this message from a dejected Fan. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

lol doing skyscale was freaking  easy. no idea what drama u doing here. if other getting it easier later who care.

• Confused 3

Am I the only one who believes this Skyscale drama these days is completely overblown and downright idiotic? 

The skyscale is not a grind. 

The skyscale is not an accomplishment. 

The skyscale is not difficult whatsoever. 

Grind seems to have lost all meaning. Like everything is P2W now. 

So of course you don't have this massiv dopamine hit. You're not supposed too. 

Like obese people tell you a 10 meter sprint is an accomplishment and you deserve praise. 

When reality is that nobody cares about you doing it. Obese or not. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 3

22 minutes ago, craphunter.5098 said:

The "unique" rewards I've gained so far from this grind is the mount itself. whoop de fraking do. The knowledge that the bonus masteries I'll unlock will give me bonuses in comparison to those who haven't gone through it. Apart from the achievement points I honestly don't see nor have I seen any real rewards for this. Not even an unlockable cosmetic for the character before all of this. What am I missing then?

The ability to do things in the game that others cannot is a reward. The fact that it isnt available yet is irrelevant because no one has access to the new skyscale acquisition yet either.

So, again, you will have a reward that those using only the new acquisition method will not. If the specific unique reward for completing the old acquisition method doesnt suit your preference....fine. There are plenty of rewards in the game that do not appeal to me, but that doesnt change the objective fact that they exist.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

46 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The ability to do things in the game that others cannot is a reward. The fact that it isnt available yet is irrelevant because no one has access to the new skyscale acquisition yet either.

So, again, you will have a reward that those using only the new acquisition method will not. If the specific unique reward for completing the old acquisition method doesnt suit your preference....fine. There are plenty of rewards in the game that do not appeal to me, but that doesnt change the objective fact that they exist.

The ability to do things that others can't will be a neat factor. But the shine of that will fade in time and it'll barely be noticeable. But at this point I guess I'm just gonna have to like it and lump it since everyone in this post seems to not mind so it seems i'm clearly the bad guy for feeling frustrated after spending a long time working on something that turns out not to be worth the hassle and voicing said frustration.

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Who said the collection that is unlocked after completing the new Skyscale Mastery is streamlined?  It could be easy and quick, or it could be long and drawn-out.  We have no idea. 

Once you’ve unlocked the skyscale in Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure, you’ll get access to a new skyscale skin collection. Completing that will award you a terrifying and beautiful Kryptis-themed skyscale skin.

My apologies you are correct. I mis-read the news post. My hope is that that collection would not be super tedious to work through.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, craphunter.5098 said:

It's not about not wishing to share the ball, as mentioned I don't have an issue with new players getting the skyscale. I have an issue that there isn't some acknowledgement for those who got the mount during the time it was harder to get. Like some kind of title or something that makes it feel like the journey was worth it.

But there is.  Go in game right now, mount up, and fly around.  Congratulations, you've got something that some players don't have.  That's the reward for getting this way, after all, and it's all anyone else got when they got it before you did.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1