Serious Question About Relics

I made a joke in the Relic Thread about there being a Relic Extraction tool for purchase in the Gem Store.

,,,,but, looking at how current (Non-Legendary) armor works, you either have to overwrite (delete any runes or infusions) you want to replace, or get an extractor from the Gem Store to "extract" the runes and infusions from your gear without lossing them.

The Jade Bot introduced a inconvenient mechanic by needing a Jade Bot Work Bench in order to switch out your Jade Bot modification.

Please ANET, tell us that switching relics will be as easy as swaping them out WITHOUT needing to purchase a device to avoid deleting (writing over) the existing Relic...or NOT having a Relic Work Bench that we need to visit in order to switch them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

Not sure how people are confused.  It's a sound question.  

4 hours ago, NotTooFoolish.7412 said:

Based on the information provided so far, it is just a gear slot, like an accessory.

So assessories allow you to slot infusions in and out without over writing/deleting them unless you have an extraction tool?

• Confused 9

2 minutes ago, Sreoom.3690 said:

So assessories allow you to slot infusions in and out without over writing/deleting them unless you have an extraction tool?

No, unless the accessory is legendary. But relics aren't infusions. From all we've seen, they'll just be lke a ring or a backpack, simple slot-in, no upgrades, a singular piece of gear that is neither soul nor accountbound if anets website announcements are to be believed.

I'm not even sure how what the other poster wrote led you to ask about infusions. There's no relation between relics and infusions at all. Relics won't have an infusion slot.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Endaris.1452 said:

From all we've seen, they'll just be lke a ring or a backpack, simple slot-in, no upgrades, a singular piece of gear that is neither soul nor accountbound if anets website announcements are to be believed.

One can hope  🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/relics-bring-new-equipment-to-guild-wars-2-secrets-of-the-obscure

Look at the screenshots: the relic is in it's own dedicated slot on the equipment tab, not attached to another item like an infusion or rune is. We've never needed an additional item to add/remove/change items in any of the other slots so that would be an entirely new function just for relics, which would be a very strange thing not to mention in an article all about them, but there's no mention of the process for adding or removing them. All together that tells us the process will be the same as for anything else with a slot of that tab: drop it in and it's equipped, click and drag it out to remove it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Sreoom.3690 said:

It’s another accessory slot from the screen shot they provide it sits on its own next to the rings, Relics don’t get slotted into any gear so no extraction device required.

9 hours ago, Vidit.7108 said:

Based on the image they showed and how it was explained the relic is just a normal gear slot, you won't lose your relics when you remove them but exotic relics appear to soul bind once equipped. 

Soul Bind? Why would they do that, when people have been crying out to turn existing soul binds into account binds?

Account bind would sort out the issue of used relics getting back into the trading pool without screwing over people that like to run alts.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sreoom.3690 said:

You can remove infusions from any gear by buying the infusion extractor from the fractal vendor.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion_Extraction_Device

I like how people are so confident that lack of information is evidence.

I'd say there is a high probablity that we can swap them out as easily as changing any other trinket. I've been surprised enough times by things ANet left unsaid, however, that I wouldn't bet anything of worth on it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, Endaris.1452 said:

No, unless the accessory is legendary. But relics aren't infusions. From all we've seen, they'll just be lke a ring or a backpack, simple slot-in, no upgrades, a singular piece of gear that is neither soul nor accountbound if anets website announcements are to be believed.

I'm not even sure how what the other poster wrote led you to ask about infusions. There's no relation between relics and infusions at all. Relics won't have an infusion slot.

If they are like rings and backpacks, as you suggest, then it is reasonable to ask about infusions as both of those allow them.

In general, if ANet is adding a new trinket slot, whether with SotO or some time in the future, it is reasonable to wonder if it will work like 100% of all trinkets that came before it.

• Confused 3

On 7/30/2023 at 9:01 PM, Endaris.1452 said:

I do believe the relics become accountbound when equipped. Otherwise, the market would be inundated with relics after a while.

On 7/30/2023 at 3:06 PM, Sreoom.3690 said:

I made a joke in the Relic Thread about there being a Relic Extraction tool for purchase in the Gem Store.

,,,,but, looking at how current (Non-Legendary) armor works, you either have to overwrite (delete any runes or infusions) you want to replace, or get an extractor from the Gem Store to "extract" the runes and infusions from your gear without lossing them.

The Jade Bot introduced a inconvenient mechanic by needing a Jade Bot Work Bench in order to switch out your Jade Bot modification.

Please ANET, tell us that switching relics will be as easy as swaping them out WITHOUT needing to purchase a device to avoid deleting (writing over) the existing Relic...or NOT having a Relic Work Bench that we need to visit in order to switch them.

Relics are trinkets.... 😕

• Like 2

They are trinkets as per the screenshot and they are of exotic quality (just like regular runes are today).

On the topic of core relics they say (in the article that was linked):

When the expansion launches, each character of level 60 or above will receive a relic chest to get you started in the new system with a choice of three core relics (exact number subject to change). Additional core relics will not be account bound and can be crafted and shared between players.

So I guess the 3 we get per character are account bound and will be soul bound once equipped. Do note that they're exotic and not ascended pieces. If they had been ascended then you would be able to move them around after equipping but they would be untradable. This seems to be a deliberate choice by Anet.

Expansion relics are different, and I quote:

They will also be closely tied to the narrative of the expansion, revealing some tidbits for those with a penchant for lore. Expansion relics can be obtained through collections, achievements, or story progression. While you can’t trade them, they are available to all characters on your account by visiting an NPC relic vendor after you’ve unlocked them.

So expansion relics work differently and won't be part of the market, which is probably best because otherwise you would be able to get them without owning the expansion. That does raise the question of what will happen with the HoT, PoF and EoD relics. They are expansion relics as well. My best guess is that they will be part of the 12 expansion relics, 3 per expansion but that hasn't been stated plainly afaik.

On 7/30/2023 at 11:06 AM, Sreoom.3690 said:

So... what do you think from Anet history :)?

• Confused 3

Relics being account/soulbound is consistent with other non-drop rewards/gifts. Like login chests of exotic equipment, birthday gift dyes even some achievement rewards. I would guess to keep the market or drops vs sinks in balance without the need to account for these additional source variables in the long term.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1