Since Anet willing to borrow Rifts from Rift, I hope they borrow Dimensions for Player Housing in the future. [Merged]

It's funny people complain that certain things aren't 'content' ... but housing is. I get the appeal of personalized, customizable part of the game that is about you ... but it's not content. For housing to 'work', it needs to be part of the game fantasy content, not just some optional canvas to express yourself. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I like Wildstar's version of player housing.  It was so good.  We got an empty plot in space and then were able to build anything we wanted.  People had race tracks, jumping puzzles, etc.  A friend of mine built my kitchen, so cool.  People were able to just come and visit but it wasn't in the real world, just an instance.  

Edited by Tere.4759
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Tere.4759 said:

I like Wildstar's version of player housing.  It was so good.  We got an empty plot in space and then were able to build anything we wanted.  People had race tracks, jumping puzzles, etc.  A friend of mine build my kitchen, so cool.  People were able to just come and visit but it wasn't in the real world, just an instance.  

What happened to Wildstar?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

It's funny people complain that certain things aren't 'content' ... but housing is. I get the appeal of personalized, customizable part of the game that is about you ... but it's not content. For housing to 'work', it needs to be part of the game fantasy content, not just some optional canvas to express yourself. 

We saved the world yet don't live in the world. We just hang out on the streets in the neighborhood or in a pod filled with strangers, and etc. Rationally someone of our status in the story would have his own land and house. It's part of an RPG's immersion.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

What happened to Wildstar?

It was a good game at core but the gameplay eventually got boring. The movement and hotbar was like GW2's except without 95% of the skill options so you just did the same few skills forever and end-game focus revolved around WoW-like raids that only 1% of the community cared about (just like GW2's raids) but had little else to offer outside of that eventually. The housing system was the most innovative thing about the game, which still remains undefeated in MMOs, and was the last thing still populated during it's last moments from my experience. People just hung out in each other's homes, building stuff together and chatting in housing chat. As I mentioned previously though PSO2 just added housing last update that comes the closest I've seen but too much gacha and fomo in that game, sadly.

Your building limit in Wildstar was massive w/o having to pay $$$ for it, it had a pretty nice progression system, had a lot of freedom on item placement, allowed resizing stuff, lots of building blocks and terrain options, and you could unlock a lot of housing items around the world including mini-games that others who were missing them could come over and play, crafting benches and such could be added and it had the stuff GW2 has in it's 'home instance farm' except you could place the nodes where you wanted.

Probably why their unreleased update hyped up a "neighborhood system" to fully pander to that by linking multiple housing plots together but I believe it shut down before then. I know people play it on private servers, idk if they ever finished it for them.

• Sad 2

43 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

We saved the world yet don't live in the world. We just hang out on the streets in the neighborhood or in a pod filled with strangers, and etc. Rationally someone of our status in the story would have his own land and house. It's part of an RPG's immersion.

Ok ... I'm not arguing housing not part of an RP immersion, so this response to me doesn't make sense. I'm saying that there isn't much value there if it's not 'content' that isn't just limited to some RP activity.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 4

Oh man, it would be fantastic to see housing come to GW2 at some point. Two of the most popular MMOS atm, ESO and FF14, both have fantastic housing mechanics. Houses make a great time and money sink, and would definitely be a boon for the community, so I'd be pretty excited to see what Arenanet might do with the idea of they head down that road. A-net has a tendency to take mundane things (like mounts) and make them awesome, so I'm onboard with this idea.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

• 8 months later...
Posted (edited)

Housing is often a request. But how its done is more important, Once that system is created, its difficult/ nearly impossible/rarely going to get changed.,       

So I believe its best to get this kind of discussion started early in the process and brainstorming stage.              

One method of Player Housing in MMOs like this is Pre-Built Houses with decorations. Similar to Guild Halls in Guild Wars 2 right now.       

I am against that model. I rather the players be given the freedom to build their own house from foundation design to wall design and roofs.       

Fallout 76 and Rift's dimensions is a great model. Its instanced housing, with placeable walls, floors and objects. Rift's dimension is the better of the two since it allow object size adjustment as well as full rotation.      

This can also be a gold mine for the Gem Store for further development of the game.  New Wall and Floor skins to buy, just like in Fallout 76. The more creative players will make the most out of this feature.

Edited by Knighthonor.4061
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

There are many ways ANet could get a lot more revenues from the gem store but apparently they are not interested. Either their hands are tied or they are too rich to be bothered.

Home Housing if implemented will kill guild hall decorations and may even affect the guild system. Already a very lackluster interest in hall decorations now, imagine if one can have their own home to decorate, no one will be interested in hall decorations or to upgrade their halls. Instead of starting from scratch, upgrade the current hall decoration mechanics or even home instances, add more QoLs, sell decorations in the gem store. Maybe that will kindle some interests from the players.

PS : There are already talks on GW3, too late to implement new features here, maybe in GW3.

Edited by Sugar Min.5834
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Gerry.7964 said:

Didn't Anet say they want to avoid having "good" personal instances? They want players to be out in the open world rather than in private instances. 

That could change if good mount of $$$ can be generated I hope. Don't you know they are very flicker minded? Look at our builds;  buff 10% → nerf 70% → buff 5% → nerf 50 % → buff 20% → nerf to kill profession and the cycle goes on and on....

Edited by Sugar Min.5834
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Gerry.7964 said:

Didn't Anet say they want to avoid having "good" personal instances? They want players to be out in the open world rather than in private instances. 

Yes. But that was said was before they implemented guild halls. 

Let me tell you a secret about corporate America and probably the rest of the world as well. It's all about money. 

If Anet thought players housing would bring enough money, we would be playing Housing Simulator. They are doing what they think will bring them more revenue.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, disForm.2837 said:

Let me tell you a secret about corporate America and probably the rest of the world as well. It's all about money. 

If Anet thought players housing would bring enough money, we would be playing Housing Simulator. They are doing what they think will bring them more revenue.

This is pretty accurate tbh

The reason we don't and won't have player housing is because the revenue is not worth the investment

• Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Source on how often this is requested?

I'd certainly hope they'd take better inspiration than from those. I've barely heard of Rift. And Fallout 76? A game that barely works? No.

If this was worth it, they'd have done it by now, I'm sure.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Nilkemia.8507 said:

Source on how often this is requested?

I'd certainly hope they'd take better inspiration than from those. I've barely heard of Rift. And Fallout 76? A game that barely works? No.

If this was worth it, they'd have done it by now, I'm sure.

It gets a thread every two months and they always go down the same way:
+: "Housing would be so cool you guiz!!!! ZOMG housing!!!"
-: (the various arguments against get regurgitated, the same arguments that have been made for years; cost vs. value, splitting the playerbase, low value rp-feature for only a few players etc.)
+: (the usual arguments for housing get regurgitated, the same (imho very few) that have been made for years: it would be cool (to some/OP), [game x] has it and it's cool there etc.)
-: (the arguments against it get repeated)
+: someone goes "but they did mounts"
0: I yawn and the thread dies with no one having learned anything, see you again in two months.

Edited by Omega.6801
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Omega.6801 said:

It gets a thread every two months and they always go down the same way:
+: "Housing would be so cool you guiz!!!! ZOMG housing!!!"
-: (the various arguments against get regurgitated, the same arguments that have been made for years; cost vs. value, splitting the playerbase, low value rp-feature for only a few players etc.)
+: (the usual arguments for housing get regurgitated, the same (imho very few) that have been made for years: it would be cool (to some/OP), [game x] has it and it's cool there etc.)
-: (the arguments against it get repeated)
+: someone goes "but they did mounts"
0: I yawn and the thread dies with no one having learned anything, see you again in two months.

But.. but this is how we got our mounts (+1) and fishing (-1) in the end 😂

Edited by Sugar Min.5834
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1