Skyscale Collection doesn't make sense (if you already own one)

So I'm working on this new collection, even though I already have a Skyscale, and this just doesn't make sense for us to do.

If you don't have a Skyscale, then sure this makes sense. But if you already own one, this doesn't make sense at all.

So they acknowledge the fact that I already have a Skyscale. But they want my help with raising this one. No problem, I don't mind assisting. They need me to take the egg to different locations and "incubate" it. Sure thing, no problem. Then they want me to get food for it. No worries, I can do that for you.

Now here is where things don't make sense. They want me to build a saddle for it. It's not my Skyscale. Why am I building a saddle for it? They have tons of Skyscale around and care and maintain them. Are you telling me they don't have a saddle to give this thing? Why am I building a saddle for a Skyscale that isn't mine?

As well, why do I have to max out my mastery for this collection, when again, it is not my Skyscale? That shouldn't be a requirement because I am not doing this for my own Skyscale. I'm doing this collection to help them raise someone else's Skyscale. Requiring me to max out my mastery for someone else's Skyscale doesn't make sense.

The saddle collection and the max your mastery requirement should be removed for those who already own a Skyscale. They don't make sense for someone who already owns a Skyscale to have to do them, since this is not our Skyscale we are helping raise. We've already completed the previous Skyscale collection once, we shouldn't have to do the same as those who didn't. Those specific collections/requirements shouldn't be required for those who already own a Skyscale. It's unfair and doesn't make sense for us to do them.

• Like 36
  • Thanks 9
  • Confused 5

ah, so the guy who wrote the previous thread about this before the expansion dropped was correct.  Already having a skyscale was not going to help him in the new content.  No shortcuts for veteran skyscale owners.  It is no wonder that he wanted a skin instead of "better" masteries. 

Edit: Lol people got so mad at him for his original post!

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

22 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

ah, so the guy who wrote the previous thread about this before the expansion dropped was correct.  Already having a skyscale was not going to help him in the new content.  No shortcuts for veteran skyscale owners.  It is no wonder that he wanted a skin instead of "better" masteries. 

Yes because people couldent imagine that Anet would be so completely clueless to have people doing the collection twice.

Guess lessons were learned.

Edit

Completely agree with the OP they should not have to do the saddle again since they already done it the old way.

and if you do it the new way it should not make you do the saddle again when doing the old way then either.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

If you're not happy about that just wait till you see the second part of the 14 things you have to do for the skin unlock.

I wasn't too thrilled about it myself but on that note I will also add another mastery you will have to unlock is Astral Ward: Emotion Control for T3 Kryptis mats

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

gonna second the OP's post here. 
I (we) worked hard doing the original time gated skyscale collection, and invested gold into that. 
I have zero issues levelling up Masteries to learn how to use new skills, and even the egg hunt with the infusions, and feeding the little guy. 
But for us to re-invest what we have already completed and get new map currency to get ANOTHER saddle, let alone gold, mats, provisioner tokens. I mean.. how was this approved by devs?
not happy. 😕
[EDIT] Let me add that for the Wizards Vault Special as well, " A New Friend" is one of the achis we need to complete to get the reward. As is a pre-requisite to getting the new skyscale skin. "Don't like it, don't do it" responses to this is null, as we are forced to do it effectively. The point is we have already invested more than the average new player here, only to have to do it again. 

Edited by Mia.8695
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 2

anyone else here finish the new skyscale collection already, and have zero issue with it exisitng?
no, just me? guess i'll just take the extra AP and mount skin collection i'll eventually get around to.

i don't get the problem, if you don't like it, don't do it.

Edited by Parasite.5389
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

anyone else here finish the new skyscale collection already, and have zero issue with it exisitng?
no, just me? guess i'll just take the extra AP and mount skin collection i'll eventually get around to.

i don't get the problem, if you don't like it, don't do it.

So what do you use that second saddle on.

Is it in a display case in your home instance maybe?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 5

I was just about to make my first post in here about this very thing. 

1- The bonus we get for already owning the skyscale is meaningless since we have to spend MP and level them instead of getting them from the get go.

2- Exactly as OP said: We need to spend MORE gold and MORE mats on a saddle we don't need? We get extra AP? Sure but that doesn't change the fact that it is ridiculous and a slap to the face to ask us to do something we already did and spend that much on it. And, before anyone says "you don't have to do it if you don't want to" you're right, but we want the new skin and THAT is locked behind completing the new skyscale collection...Previous skyscale owners didn't even get to skip the new method and go straight to the skin collection, nope, do everything as if you've never had a skyscale! Really, really bad decision making with this one ANet :/

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Exactly, a lot of things don't make sense playing for 11yrs :classic_laugh:  I did the collection right when the skyscale first came out, man that collection sucked, and now we do it again but it's not as bad as the first time but regardless it sucks and for myself boring.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, draconicrose.6213 said:

I liked doing it. Had fun and it was a breeze compared to the original. It's nice that we vets can do the collection as well and get bonuses from it.

You should not have to do it it should be a line on the npc, oh commnader I see you already have the skyscale.

Do you A want to help us raise another one since your such a expert or B hunt down this rare breed we found over there ( unlocks collection)

• Like 9
  • Confused 2

Ya know what else doesn't make sense? Removing the 6th bonuses from runes and instead of making them all relics, choosing to removing content from the game.

Anet is not concerned with things making sense. Get back to grinding your skyscale again. 😶

Edited by Wild.1705
  • Like 7
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

heres what im trying to figure out, im doing everything in reverse apparently so i am unlocking scale via SOTO for first time, I got it, and all the SOTO masteries. My question is if I go back for the old masteries, do I have to do everything again? or just spend the points. currently the mastery for skyscale (LS) is still hidden from me, guess I have to do the LS. Just not sure of the process. thanks

Hum... OP reasoning doesn't make sense. 

If they had a saddle ready, they wouldn't do you make one, regardless of if you own one or not. 

Same thing for the training, the beast has to be trained, whether it's ours or not.

The good news is you don't have to do it if you don't want to 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 8/25/2023 at 10:54 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

Link please

33 minutes ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

Link please

To be fair the op is mostly frustrated that there is an easier method for getting the skyscale soon after he just finished getting it the original way.  The author mentions it at the end of the third paragraph, and in the fourth paragraph of the OP.  On the second page the author dismisses the masteries saying that they will become boring with use, instead of amazing.  The author insists that a skin would be more satisfying to commemorate the effort of the original skyscale collection.  I am proud of my posts on the third page, second and fourth post.  I think I was fairly accurate in my speculation. 😏

• Confused 2

On 8/26/2023 at 4:25 AM, SpyderArachnid.5619 said:

So I'm working on this new collection, even though I already have a Skyscale

A question for the players who already own a PoF-skyscale: how many nests did you have to visit before you found an egg? I already have a Skyscale, but I'm considering doing the "a new friend" achievement (because "a new friend" is unfortunately a condition for unlocking "a new look"). I've been to three dozen nests now, but haven't found a single egg so far. 

• Confused 1

On 8/26/2023 at 11:46 AM, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

it has been proved the Commander is the world's biggest idiot so...

Hahaha true.

You are never the Commander, you are the Choremmander (the Commander of chores). Part of your job as Choremander (in this case) is to babysit the egg , spend money to  build stuff for it when it grows up, and to hand it over. Your reward? Well another chore (aka achievements) of course 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/27/2023 at 4:09 PM, Mia.8695 said:

gonna second the OP's post here. 
I (we) worked hard doing the original time gated skyscale collection, and invested gold into that. 
I have zero issues levelling up Masteries to learn how to use new skills, and even the egg hunt with the infusions, and feeding the little guy. 
But for us to re-invest what we have already completed and get new map currency to get ANOTHER saddle, let alone gold, mats, provisioner tokens. I mean.. how was this approved by devs?
not happy. 😕
[EDIT] Let me add that for the Wizards Vault Special as well, " A New Friend" is one of the achis we need to complete to get the reward. As is a pre-requisite to getting the new skyscale skin. "Don't like it, don't do it" responses to this is null, as we are forced to do it effectively. The point is we have already invested more than the average new player here, only to have to do it again. 

It’s really worth 300 wizard bucks to you? It’s so easy to get that in so many other ways, I don’t understand why people are hung up on that WV Special.

• Like 1

If you're looking for a story/lore explanation for why our characters don't just say "hang on, I don't mind helping to rescue and train skyscales but I'm not paying for someone else's saddle as well" I think the answer could be that they're doing this to learn the Astral Ward's techniques. The new saddles use different materials, by making one yourself you learn a different way to do it. Of course that doesn't come up in the game mechanics, you can't then craft saddles to sell, but I think our characters have generally shown an interest in opportunities to learn new things even if they don't need it. It's the same kind of idea with the mastery, by learning how the Astral Ward train them you learn more about skyscales in general and so unlock new techniques.

That doesn't justify the cost, but I find it interesting that's now a concern when before SotO was released the main objection from people who already had the skyscale was that new players or those who couldn't (or 'couldn't be bothered') do the previous collection would be 'given one for free'. Now we know it's not free and that's a problem as well. Or is the idea that it should be given away free to people who already have the skyscale but not for people who don't?

I haven't gotten that far yet (I'm still on the egg collecting phase) but I'm intending to do the whole collection and the cost doesn't bother me. But then I probably have a weird perspective on things like that, I once did a whole set of precursor collections for a legendary I already had, just because I wanted to do the collections. (I sold the legendary though, so it's not like I got nothing from it.)

• Like 2