Relic system?

We do have more options.  Are they useful options?

Relic of the mirage: inflict 2 stacks of torment whenever you evade an attack.   Because mirage has so much trouble maintaining stacks of torment.  looking at the wiki I was surprised to find that a few other classes have evasion in their weapon skills, Charr and Norn even have it in their racial skill.  I guess if you save your skills for evading instead of dealing damage, and actually manage to get the timing right, you can get a few stacks of torment for free.  How useful?

Then you have relic of the necromancer for all of those classes who inflict the fear condition.  Warrior, specter, and soulbeast each get one skill, if they happen to be Norn then a racial skill grants fear.  I look forward to hearing about the fear warrior build.

At least other classes might want to use relic of the mirage, I am not sure anyone outside of necromancer wants to slow down enemies who are running away from them.

Class specific relics to promote build diversity? Lol.  Shall we have relic of the Charr next? What will be the trigger for the human relic?

• Like 7
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 8/27/2023 at 2:14 PM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

We called it out prior to their release on regards to legendary runes, but at that time they were claiming that the 6th rune effects weren't going away.

They also said that they'll release more relics later and just release some classics now.

But seeing how runes go reversed to older stats of themselves and relics as bonus too (like antitoxin), I doubt one can recreate their stats like before.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/28/2023 at 6:08 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Soo many effects lost. 

Many of my builds relied on the extra Fury/Swiftness from Firework or Pack. 

Thats gone. 

Pack even gave a decent extra selfheal with Tactics traitline. All gone. 

I'm missing my Pack runes too. My Traveler set got straight nerfed. And (should I be embarrassed about this?) some of my off-meta builds are really struggling without the Vampirism heals.

Quite a few of my characters are going to be waiting for better relics cause playing them right now is not feeling great.

Edited by zch.3127
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2023 at 7:50 PM, Aulis Vaara.7083 said:

I haven't played in a while and I saw that they introduced a relic system which replaces the sixth set bonus for runes, however relics don't seem to be one to one with those bonuses.

Does that mean the effort I put in over the years farming/buying/crafting specific rune sets has been retroactively wasted? I'm specifically thinking about the Golemancer runes for my asura characters, but others as well, every character got deliberately designed a certain way and it appears that has now been thrown away. Is that assessment correct? Or is there actually something to make up for taking all that away?

You are correct.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/27/2023 at 8:14 PM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Yes it was wasted. We called it out prior to their release in regards to legendary runes, but at that time they were claiming that the 6th rune effects weren't going away. Turns out that was a lie.

Shame on them. 

I am missing my Vamp rune process.

I am missing my Golemancer process on my Asura too. 

What else... 

Edited by Areoh.7495
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Areoh.7495 said:

Shame on them. 

I am missing my Vamp rune process.

I am missing my Golemancer process on my Asura too. 

What else... 

I was using Sanctuary on my WvW Celestial Mechanist. It's gone now too.

I also miss Golemancer (OW build) and Vampirism (several alt builds). I miss the old Fireworks rune 6th bonus too. I used them on several characters.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

On 8/27/2023 at 7:50 AM, Aulis Vaara.7083 said:

I haven't played in a while and I saw that they introduced a relic system which replaces the sixth set bonus for runes, however relics don't seem to be one to one with those bonuses.

Does that mean the effort I put in over the years farming/buying/crafting specific rune sets has been retroactively wasted? I'm specifically thinking about the Golemancer runes for my asura characters, but others as well, every character got deliberately designed a certain way and it appears that has now been thrown away. Is that assessment correct? Or is there actually something to make up for taking all that away?

Well, hopefully the devs add back the 6th rune bonuses as relics. Seems to be the right thing to do. 

To be fair most of the relic threads have the same people posting.  At most that's what, thirty people out of hundreds?  Oh this thread has over eight hundred views, but they haven't given their opinions.  I can understand if the devs aren't impressed.  I wonder how things look on reddit?

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

On 8/28/2023 at 4:46 AM, Zebulous.2934 said:

Imagine you made a raven themed character, dressed all in black, with feathers, ect.  Then you had a full set of Superior Rune of the Mad King slotted.  You have your raven themed character that occasionally summons ravens to attack enemies, because of the sixth rune bonus. 

Then Anet introduces relics, but the raven flock effect has not been turned into a relic.  That severely reduces your raven theme.  Oh you did enjoy ravens swarming your foes, enjoyed it for years.  Now however, you know that you cannot enjoy it going forward.  It just doesn't exist.  

This made me think ArenaNet is Making a legendary Infusion.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, babana.7521 said:

This made me think ArenaNet is Making a legendary Infusion.

I suppose, though legendary equipment is dependent on what the player has already unlocked.  A legendary infusion won't help bring back the missing relic effects.   Unless they have decided to turn some of the missing relic effects into a more common visual infusion.  I don't think folks would be happy for the effects to become super rare infusions.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I suppose, though legendary equipment is dependent on what the player has already unlocked.  A legendary infusion won't help bring back the missing relic effects.   Unless they have decided to turn some of the missing relic effects into a more common visual infusion.  I don't think folks would be happy for the effects to become super rare infusions.  

Ideally Legendary infusion will include  all the effect for us to freely swap between.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Blah, I confused myself. Somehow I mixed up unlocking seven legendary runes with simple stat switching.  I still think that having access to all infusion visuals without obtaining the originals would be going too far. 

Why farm for the original infusions when you could just farm the legendary?  Then there would be the monumental task of farming enough legendary infusions to fill every infusion slot on each piece of equipment.  It boggles the mind.

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Blah, I confused myself. Somehow I mixed up unlocking seven legendary runes with simple stat switching.  I still think that having access to all infusion visuals without obtaining the originals would be going too far. 

Why farm for the original infusions when you could just farm the legendary?  Then there would be the monumental task of farming enough legendary infusions to fill every infusion slot on each piece of equipment.  It boggles the mind.

Its a Catch Up Mechanism. as someone said. 

• Sad 1

they did this years ago when they changed the mastery system into the specialization system, are you really surprised they screw you ppl over yet again?

i saw this happening years in advanced but noooooo, crazy sorudo is talking BS again, doesn't know anything.

well, enjoy your kittened up game, GW2 is now officially not GW anymore, just a wish version of tera.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/31/2023 at 3:46 PM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

So many effects gone with no knowledge if they will even come back...

They likely will not. The Relic change seems like an excuse to not only make a massive nerf to rune bonuses, but also make players pay for it (because, let's be honest, most of the still somewhat useful relics are not in the core relic selection chest). And they specifically mentioned in the last blog post that next patches will bring more expansion relics. Not core ones. So, expect more wild effects triggered on elites noone asked for.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

As we all know, many rune effects are missing and all we can do is hope they will be added in a future release. Perhaps they are permanently gone. No communication.

What's clear is that the redesigned runes are in many cases a bit of a nerf. +125 Power is NOT equivalent to +5% Strike Damage. +125 Condition Damage is NOT equivalent to +5% Condition Damage. +125 Vitality is NOT equivalent to +10% Max Health. +125 Healing is not even close to +10% Outgoing Healing. It was a stealth nerf.

They should have been honest with us. "We have been concerned about the gradual power creep affecting the quality of the game and decided to make a modest reduction to the effectiveness of runes with the new relic system. Some of the effects in the current rune system will not be available as relics and will be retired."

The game still works. We can still kill stuff. But a little honesty would have been nice.

Edited by raykor.6723
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, raykor.6723 said:

But a little honesty would have been nice.

A lot of honesty would have been nice. 
It is like hiding a clause in the fine print. "If they don't notice right away, everything will be ok." 
Why do all corporations seem to use this tactic?  All that it does is teach the customer to distrust the business.  Don't try to sell me something and omit details or use vague language.  
If a company thinks that a change may upset me, then they are probably correct.  They should address the issue directly, not hope that I won't notice.

"I didn't want to tell you because I thought that you would get mad."
oh? and how well did that work? Did you avoid making me mad?

Edited by Zebulous.2934
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1