[Feedback] Legendary Obsidian Armor

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Because they know that half a year from now some of those events might not be so popular anymore.

Every part of game which is needed for crafting legendary items is popular after years of introduction. Ppl still doing events in HoT, LS3, LS4, even core map exploration. Could you point out some events that you cant do right now because there is lack of ppl doing it? Rifts are pretty similar to PoF legendary bounty hunting and years later still no problem to find group.

Edited by rawisz.6439
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, rawisz.6439 said:

Every part of game which is needed for crafting legendary items is popular after years of introduction. Ppl still doing events in HoT, LS3, LS4, even core map exploration. Could you point out some events that you cant do right now because there is lack of ppl doing it? Rifts are pretty similar to PoF legendary bounty hunting and years later still no problem to find group.

That's because all of those other types of content are rewarding enough even if you do not care about legendary gear. Rifts however have only that single purpose, and are unrewarding to anyone else. As such, with more and more players managing to get the needed Essences, their popularity will continue to plummet. You can already see it happening, btw, due to the first wave of players managing to get what they needed and withdrawing from participating in them.

Notice also, that t2 and t3 rifts need to be "subsidized" by players willing to pay for Motivations - and those players are primarily drawn from the group of those that want it done fast. So, not only the overall amount of players for rift events is decreasing, but number of players willing to sponsor t2 and t3 rifts for everyone else is dropping down as well.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

That's because all of those other types of content are rewarding enough even if you do not care about legendary gear. Rifts however have only that single purpose, and are unrewarding to anyone else. As such, with more and more players managing to get the needed Essences, their popularity will continue to plummet. You can already see it happening, btw, due to the first wave of players managing to get what they needed and withdrawing from participating in them.

Which part of LS3 is worth doing outside of progress for Aurora? How is PoF legendary bounty hunting worth anything outside of elegy mosaics for Funerary Incense? It has no gold value, ppl are doing it only because it is required for legendary crafting. Popularity of rifts will ofcourse decrease but not to point that there will be problem with farming essences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, rawisz.6439 said:

The only content I can think of are some of the side story content that can be hard to get group for.

And people seem to complain about tower of nightmares, battle for lions arch and the marionette alot on the forums aswell.

• Confused 1

On 9/23/2023 at 3:12 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

Yeah, getting ported to the jp chest is such content. Lock portals and actually make it impossible to use mounts to reach the chests and then talk about that "variety of content" (1,5k unusual coins are also required for the armor btw). From what we know, people pushing for ow set did that because they didn't want to play instanced content btw. 🙄

About as varied as soto armor is, yeah. But I like how now you reverted to this claim when previously it was "all over the game world". At this point you'll just keep altering your complaint to keep complaining even if your initial one was misrepresenting (not necessarily intentionally) the actual state of the game. But hey, if vision and aurora were "all over the world" then stick to doing weekly rifts and it will also be "all over the world", possibly even more than what you compared it to.

Yes, the portals can circumvent content, but I personally did not use them because I wanted to play the game (plus I have trust issues with people and their portals, especially since gliding/mounts are disabled in most jumping puzzles). I have no control over how other players circumvent content.

Prismatic Champion's Regalia was a better example of what I felt was a good bit of content for an open world legendary than Vision or Aurora, I just included them because the steps involved were varied as well.

I'm not altering my complaint, I'm conceding the fair points you made and incorporating them into what I'm talking about. It's part of civil discourse. You're supposed to change your statements and/or positions when you're caught in error, are corrected on something, or are perhaps reminded of something you forgot. What do you think this is? Fox News?

I have been doing the weekly rifts, and they are a welcome respite from Amnytas, but I want to do more than just rifts to get essences. I still feel they should be added to map meta rewards, particularly Amnytas since it's one huge multi-layered rift event. Maybe have us do some collections/achievements like we did with the 'Return' content for the regalia, and the payoff could be a generous amount of essences, materials, or currencies needed to make the armor.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to farming unusual coins either. That's going to take a long time, too. Provisioner tokens are also going to add months to the effort since I need 900. I'm starting with near 0 tokens because I wasn't actively working on the raid/pvp/wvw armors. kitten me, right?

Of course not wanting to play instanced content is valid reason to favor obby armor. I personally don't like having to overly rely on other players unless I absolutely have to, especially if you manage to do everything right on your end but you fail anyway because someone else made a mistake. Plus there is the hassle of scheduling conflicts due to real life, and sometimes sudden unavailability of part of your team, or the people who rage quit when a boss takes more than one attempt just because they don't have the patience to play with someone who hasn't done it as much or made a mistake. I just don't find that fun, but I know there are those who do. It's a welcome, albeit daunting, alternative.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

23 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

I haven't stepped foot in LWS3 maps for anything other than a quick map completion on a new character once I finished Aurora and I haven't done a single PoF bounty just because I felt like doing so since I got all the Funerary Essences and whatnot I needed from the Mosaics.

It's not content that people do for fun, people do it because of the Legendary and other stuff at the end, just like with Rifts now, it won't magically die in a month or two.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Zera.9435 said:

Yes, the portals can circumvent content, but I personally did not use them because I wanted to play the game (plus I have trust issues with people and their portals, especially since gliding/mounts are disabled in most jumping puzzles). I have no control over how other players circumvent content.

Prismatic Champion's Regalia was a better example of what I felt was a good bit of content for an open world legendary than Vision or Aurora, I just included them because the steps involved were varied as well.

I'm not altering my complaint, I'm conceding the fair points you made and incorporating them into what I'm talking about. It's part of civil discourse. You're supposed to change your statements and/or positions when you're caught in error, are corrected on something, or are perhaps reminded of something you forgot. What do you think this is? Fox News?

I have been doing the weekly rifts, and they are a welcome respite from Amnytas, but I want to do more than just rifts to get essences. I still feel they should be added to map meta rewards, particularly Amnytas since it's one huge multi-layered rift event. Maybe have us do some collections/achievements like we did with the 'Return' content for the regalia, and the payoff could be a generous amount of essences, materials, or currencies needed to make the armor.

Yeah I'm not looking forward to farming unusual coins either. That's going to take a long time, too. Provisioner tokens are also going to add months to the effort since I need 900. I'm starting with near 0 tokens because I wasn't actively working on the raid/pvp/wvw armors. kitten me, right?

Of course not wanting to play instanced content is valid reason to favor obby armor. I personally don't like having to overly rely on other players unless I absolutely have to, especially if you manage to do everything right on your end but you fail anyway because someone else made a mistake. Plus there is the hassle of scheduling conflicts due to real life, and sometimes sudden unavailability of part of your team, or the people who rage quit when a boss takes more than one attempt just because they don't have the patience to play with someone who hasn't done it as much or made a mistake. I just don't find that fun, but I know there are those who do. It's a welcome, albeit daunting, alternative.

Ah, so "you want more diverse content", but the moment mentioned above currency involves that other content, it also becomes too much, grind and bad.

Of course "prismaric champion's regalia" keeps getting mentioned by some of the players. That's because it was basically a leggy freebie (as long as you had the access to the required content, which any player talking about it already did).

I have been doing the weekly rifts, and they are a welcome respite from Amnytas, but I want to do more than just rifts to get essences. I still feel they should be added to map meta rewards, particularly Amnytas since it's one huge multi-layered rift event.

But aren't you already doing amnytas for the other currency required for the armor anyways.? So essencially now you're just proposing to be able to double dip needed currencies from one meta.

And I don't get the complaint about provisioner tokens. Anyone going or not going for them on their own accord was/is in the exact same position. Nothing here is somehow directed at you nor is it bound to this particular armor acquisition.

I'm not altering my complaint, I'm conceding the fair points you made and incorporating them into what I'm talking about. It's part of civil discourse. You're supposed to change your statements and/or positions when you're caught in error, are corrected on something, or are perhaps reminded of something you forgot.

Sure, except that point is directly related to this:

On 9/23/2023 at 12:12 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

About as varied as soto armor is, yeah.

And at no point (still, btw) I saw you somehow outright say that's what it is. What you did was continue arguing that vision and aurora were different and when that was pointed out, now you "incorporate valid points I made". Didn't really look like it, if you re-read those posts even now.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I must say... despite not really farming rifts, and only doing them once in a while so that I won't burn out on them... I'm already burned out on rifts. I had SotO for about a week and I feel like I'm already out of things I want to do in SotO.

Metas are only good for the hero's choice chest, so once I'm done with both SotO metas for the day, I have no more reason to do them. SotO events are really only worth it for the mastery points. Now that I have all the mastery points from SotO events, I have no more reason to ever do any more SotO events. I would like to work on getting essences, but rifts are the only way to get essences and I'm already burned out on rifts.

I really wish Anet adds essences as rewards to a lot more contents (such as SotO metas, events, and currency trade-ins), and/or they would differentiate rifts so that every tier plays different. I'm starting to think it was a mistake buying SotO before at least the first content update.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

On 9/21/2023 at 2:32 PM, Mungrul.9358 said:

It's not helped by Stockholm Syndrome communities that jealously gate-keep access to this stuff and mewl like spoiled children at the slightest mention of reducing the grind to make things more enjoyable and flexible for everyone.

This will be the single best reason why anet slowly kills them selfes financially over time, because if you think about it:

casuals are the majority in this game period.

the more people suggest to forcefully grind something while not offering a second layer of accessibility at the same time, in a game like this to the casuals, the more likely it will be that they burn those casuals out in this process.

making something like legendary armor that has a desired QoL aspect for them only accessible by going trough repetitive and linear grinds that take alot of time in order to get that QoL,

Is the Single best way for anet to burn their casuals out on that journey!

Some will never even begin with that burning journey in order to have more time for something they prefer to do in this game instead…

…in both cases rendering anets and their devs efforts worthless to implement such OW Legendary Armor grinds in to the game while at the same time not providing QoL accessibility to these casuals too.

Edited by kenzil.5983
My Phone eats up words sometimes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

On 9/20/2023 at 10:43 AM, rawisz.6439 said:

SOTO was advertised as selfcontained expansion focused to bring new players to game - new story, new begining, "you dont need to know what happened previously, jump straight to new maps". Its pretty obvious that they couldnt put legendary armor and give collection/events from whole world because there would be cry about forcing ppl to buy previous expansions/living stories to obtain it. Other legendaries also needed only expansion in which they were introduced. So i dont know why anyone would even assume that there will be travel through previous maps... They were limited to only 2maps in SOTO + core game.

You compain about amount of rifts required but they didnt even release whole content yet. With t4 rifts and convergences it will be probably much faster then right now. Is it even that much considering how many ppl already have full sets of essence ready to go?

Yet they could easily place skritt all over the map for the lock bite gang? 

*mic drop*

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

34 minutes ago, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

Yet they could easily place skritt all over the map for the lock bite gang? 

*mic drop*

Ofcourse, skritt event is not even part of SOTO (there is no skritts located in 2new maps). I dont know how you can compare some side event which most dont even care about with main selling point of new expansion?

What will be your next argument? Anual festivals like dragon bash which take place in variety of maps?

Edited by rawisz.6439
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, rawisz.6439 said:

Ofcourse, skritt event is not even part of SOTO (there is no skritts located in 2new maps). I dont know how you can compare some side event which most dont even care about with main selling point of new expansion?

What will be your next argument? Anual festivals like dragon bash which take place in variety of maps?

Its pretty obvious that they couldnt put legendary armor and give collection/events from whole world because there would be cry about forcing ppl to buy previous expansions/living stories to obtain it < regarding another quote

This legendary armor is for SoTO only anyway...how u gonna craft it?
Legendaries are in gen 2 and gen 3...u cant really craft g2/g3 without expansions...
my point is they CAN put them in other areas of the world because Gen 1 already exists for core game. if you want raids you need an expansion, if you want legendary armor outside of spvp/wvw you need an expansion...they can do it, they have done it

im only proving a point that they CAN!

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

Its pretty obvious that they couldnt put legendary armor and give collection/events from whole world because there would be cry about forcing ppl to buy previous expansions/living stories to obtain it < regarding another quote

This legendary armor is for SoTO only anyway...how u gonna craft it?
Legendaries are in gen 2 and gen 3...u cant really craft g2/g3 without expansions...
my point is they CAN put them in other areas of the world because Gen 1 already exists for core game. if you want raids you need an expansion, if you want legendary armor outside of spvp/wvw you need an expansion...they can do it, they have done it

im only proving a point that they CAN!

To be truth i dont know what are you talking about, i think you totally misunderstood what i wrote about.

Gen1 weapons were introduced in core gw2 and dont need any other content to craft them. Gen2 which were introduced in HoT, dont need any other content to craft them. Gen2 introduced in PoF dont need any other expansion to craft  them. Aurora doesnt need any content outside of LS3 (if you have LS3 you have already HoT as it is requriment), and its the same for every other legendary item added. They all need only expansion/LS in which they were introduced. What i wrote in first post was that armor could have as requirment only stuff avaiable in SOTO + core, like every previous legendary items. It was answer to ppl who wanted variety of activities through multiple expansions. So again im not exactly sure what point did you proved?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I will say that Rifts turned out to be a lot less fun than I was expecting.  Considering one of the best things about GW2 compared to other MMOs is the open world dynamic event system, the Rift system honestly feels like a step back from similar systems in other games.  

But with that said, this is not an unreasonable grind for a legendary set of armor.  I’m honestly surprised it’s not more of a grind.  Ultimately every legendary comes down to a tedious grind because you have to do the same thing over and over including farming mats or gold to buy mats or research notes.  

So far I’ve just done the weekly rift hunting achievements and I’ve already got enough essences for a full set of astral armor.  We still have how many months to go before the legendary armor is available?  I could be wrong but I really don’t think I’ll be needing to grind that much outside of just doing the weekly rift achieves.  

• Like 6

Well thing is that stuff like rift would need some kind of ai system or something. You can't just spawn same mobs and same amount every time. Why rifts can't spawn group of legendary champions that would start to run in map and hunt players or huge amount smaller mobs and players would actually need to flee and bunker some location? I don't know. Something else than same weak mobs every time.

Edited by Junkpile.7439
  • Like 2

On paper, Awakened invasions are really not much different than Kryptis rifts, yet I often find Awakened invasions fun, as opposed to Kryptis rifts which just bore me. After doing both side by side, I just realized why; the pacing.

The veteran enemies that spawn from Awakened invasions are bunched up, so I can round them up with the raptor then AOE them down with proper AOE rotations. They die fast, so I have to quickly get ready for the next spawn. Even the champion from the 3rd portal dies fast. After clearing one area, there's another invasion going on somewhere else so I have to hurry to the next waypoint then rush to the next invasion. It's all fast paced.

By comparison, Kryptis enemies spawn all over the place, so rather than rounding them up to AOE them, I just fight things at random while slowly watching the rift bar fill up. Once the initial phase is done, I just stand there for several seconds waiting for the boss to sloooowly appear. Once the boss is dead, the process of finding and moving to the next rift is also slow and tedious...

I know some players prefer the slow pacing, but again, variety would help out tremendously. Rifts are no better than DRM’s; just lazy copy and paste with no soul.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anet should put a legendary set of armor on the wizards vault, for say 15,600 coins (total) that you buy 2 pieces (650 coins each) for each month for 12 months. Each piece would need to be combined,  by putting it in the Mystic Forge with some  readily available mats (no gift of.. etc).  It would of course be lesser in appearance to the current armor sets. No flashy effects etc, just the basic legendary stats, and abilities. This then could be upgraded in later additions to enhance the appearance. It would motivate players to finish the tasks to obtain the coins, and be available to all players with or without Soto. They could add a drop to rift loot (game wide not just Soto areas) to be used when combining the two halves in the mystic forge.

Edited by Evon Skyfyre.9673
  • Confused 6

29 minutes ago, Evon Skyfyre.9673 said:

Anet should put a legendary set of armor on the wizards vault, for say 15,600 coins (total) that you buy 2 pieces (650 coins each) for each month for 12 months. Each piece would need to be combined,  by putting it in the Mystic Forge with some  readily available mats (no gift of.. etc).  It would of course be lesser in appearance to the current armor sets. No flashy effects etc, just the basic legendary stats, and abilities. This then could be upgraded in later additions to enhance the appearance. It would motivate players to finish the tasks to obtain the coins, and be available to all players with or without Soto. They could add a drop to rift loot (game wide not just Soto areas) to be used when combining the two halves in the mystic forge.

Who would have thought that the "doesn't matter how grindy and monotonous, but no Raids, PvP and WvW" method wouldn't be liked?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

I was actually hoping they would aim heavily for some kind of world boss token for world PvE legendary armors, since those can actually be enjoyable. Sometimes I'll just find myself doing things like Dragon's Stand or Battle in Tarir with no desire for rewards, even though I'm more of a WvW player.

Rifts are 'okay' content. It's mindless content, such as harvesting nodes. Question is why? Do they not have confidence in their in-demand content? Why leech away players from pre-existing content for new content that takes place within the same zones as the old content? It's very odd.

I'm lucky that I'm a WvW player. I got to do something that I still enjoy doing for my sets of armor. I'm going to do my weekly rift hunt achievements until I get any cool looking pieces. No pressure. I think that's how it's meant to be, but ArenaNet made the mistake of making rifts an all-you-can-eat buffet of 'okay.'

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Has there been any talk of legendary armor conversions say from raid to open world? (keeping pve swaps in pve)

This could open the door to finally coming up with a LFR tier raid with a longer runway to getting each legendary piece at a slower pace, but also lessening the open world grind with the ability to swap. Or maybe just light a fire back on the raid scene and development in general if swaps are a thing. I know I'm dreaming on all this but let me dream haha!

I'm personally waiting to complete the medium set in raids to see how the skin looks compared to open world. I've got light and heavy already and love the look, but only the medium coat which feels like the whole look. I would love to swap it out for the open medium world coat and cash in my unused LI I'm saving if swaps are a thing.

Edited by Solaxo.7409
  • Confused 2

I'm very much looking forward to Update 1 of SotO and am not stressing myself with Rift Hunts until then. There is absolutely no reason to grind this monotonous activity to an extent where you would burn out. If the Updates don't provide a more fun activity to gather Essences, I am uncertain I will continue to pursue the acquistion of the heavy set just for the skin.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4