When is it OK to AFK? - Revisiting an old topic

Trevor Boyer.6524

4 minutes ago, Wild.1705 said:

This is a quite the toxic post. I'm a bit taken aback that someone gave you a thanks for it. PVP players being overly aggressive I suppose. At least you didn't suggest they get lashes, stabbed or shot I suppose.

Many competitive games have a forfeit option why should GW2 not have one? The matchmaking in this game is bad. Do you deny this? Why make players lose pips if a system is actively working against them.

Receiving no rewards would be necessary so people don't abuse it. 

Otherwise wintrading would just be blatant at that point because if the other team wants to trade, they just all surrender and move on.  

But seriously, no spin is going to fix that going afk is literally the most beta thing you can do in GW2.  

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Wild.1705 said:

This is a quite the toxic post. I'm a bit taken aback that someone gave you a thanks for it. PVP players being overly aggressive I suppose. At least you didn't suggest they get lashes, stabbed or shot I suppose.

Many competitive games have a forfeit option why should GW2 not have one? The matchmaking in this game is bad. Do you deny this? Why make players lose pips if a system is actively working against them.

Equating losing pips in a video game to getting lashes, stabbed, or shot is peak terminally online. People should be punished for surrendering instead of playing through the game. They should lose pips til they reach the end of the pip-line they're currently on. And they should lose more rating. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Okhu.7948 said:

Equating losing pips in a video game to getting lashes, stabbed, or shot is peak terminally online. People should be punished for surrendering instead of playing through the game. They should lose pips til they reach the end of the pip-line they're currently on. And they should lose more rating. 

Enjoy an even longer queues and a completely dead game mode, rather than the walking corpse of a mode we have right now 😘

6 hours ago, Okhu.7948 said:

To the first part, I agree comparing physical punishment to losing pips is terminally online speak. However, I think adding punishment for already failing/losing in a game is cruel. My original comment was about how cruel PVP players can be. So cruel that they wish for harsher punishments external from the loss of the game (about 10min on average) itself. You yourself have showed this behavior as well with this unedited quote from a post made today 09/12/2023.

6 hours ago, Okhu.7948 said:

I will. Anything to make AFKers suffer.

To the second part, if feels like you are just repeating your original statement which I also critiqued in my original response. Seen as a quote below.

17 hours ago, Wild.1705 said:

My experience with an AFKer today.

1. He ridicules the team by telling us to enjoy the match and sits in base the whole time.
  2. Jeers at the team for even trying to play.
  3. Dares us to report him, presumably because he knows nothing will happen to him.

I see the inaction of Anet on these AFKers emboldening these kinds of players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tend to play till the end. Otherwise I am playing to win but also to get better. Even losing games like 500 :200 can be good games. The overall match might be a disaster for your team score wise but specific encounters in game can still be fun and close. Tight and losing matches are the ones where you learn to play better. Wins with a stomp don't do much learning. So yeah I get frustrated from any form of afk. At least try to play with your team, the enemy is better than us so it's a good chance to study your weaknesses and their strengths.

Another reason I'm really against giving up a game is that most people don't know when to give up. And in lower ELO (S3, G1) I see too many occasions where people are actively typing in chat that this is GG, no chance, and things like that. And we end up losing only 480 to 500. I see why some people who understand the ebb and flow of a match perfectly may go AFK, (not that I agree with that). But 95% of the players should never give up.

Its absolutely fine to afk.

Started afking today whenever i noticed i got teammates that are "special".
-250 Rating (that's easily fixed in a few hours) but first kitten day that i can log off without a headache & high blood pressure.

And since someone will definitely play the "raport" card.
Yes they'll ban those who afk, right after they banning win-traders and RMT boosters.
Even then tho, i doubt that they want to deal with the RP nightmare that banning afks would bring.
Just imagine clickbait sites/YT vids like "A-Net bans players who prioritize their health over GW2 PvP" or at worst case scenario "Player suffers a stroke while playing while playing GW2 - GW2 A relaxing experience or a stress inducing nightmare"

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, aranyics.8256 said:

Another reason I'm really against giving up a game is that most people don't know when to give up. And in lower ELO (S3, G1) I see too many occasions where people are actively typing in chat that this is GG, no chance, and things like that. And we end up losing only 480 to 500. I see why some people who understand the ebb and flow of a match perfectly may go AFK, (not that I agree with that). But 95% of the players should never give up.

Basically this--I've seen AFK when the first mid push even sorta goes wrong, which is ridiculous.  

Lost a game today because 2 went far, 1 home, and 2 of us to mid--the two that went far died and afk'd while we won mid, we ended up losing because the two afk were convinced the game was 'over' as they got bodied far where they should have never been.  

Like, that split is fine if you know what you are doing but not in your average g2-g3 match it isn't.  

39 minutes ago, Dickinson.7368 said:

Its absolutely fine to afk.

Started afking today whenever i noticed i got teammates that are "special".

I think afkers are the "special" ones--why would you waste 10-15 min of your life standing at spawn contributing nothing and learning nothing? If you need blood pressure meds to play a game probably sPVP is not a great place for you....

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Like 1

Recently returned to the game after a yearish long absence. In my promo games, four out of the ten games had an afk player on my team. I have since then begun taking screenshots to post in a support ticket that I have open. The person who is working my ticket seems to have a genuine interest in this matter. As such, I would highly encourage everyone of you who want sPvP to thrive, to submit actual support tickets outside of the game and through your account online. Take screenshots of the players AFKing, and any screenshots of chat logs. Also, it seems to help if you can post a screenshot with a time stamp in the chat- so they can find the logs easier. 

It may take a few different tickets to find someone who genuinely is interested in resolving the issue, so I would suggest closing out tickets if the support personnel seem to not be interested in resolving the issue. Simply submit a new ticket till you find someone who is willing to do their job 🙂

I had one player in particular that was consistently AFKing, I have not seen him/her in my matches since my new ticket was open. Might just be a coincidence, but I'd like to think ANET still has some employees who value and respect their product consumer's time. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2023 at 4:27 PM, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

It's real simple and it has nothing to do with point values. I will keep playing if my team can AT LEAST accomplish this:

1. Get back to a node.
  2. Decap it.
  3. Put up a reasonable team fight that is at least worth the learning experience. What I mean is, even if it is clear that we will lose, if the team is at least surviving long enough for them to be able to learn something in those team fights so they can advance their play from it, I'll keep playing with them so they can gain that experience.

I would like to add a number four to this list.

4. One of your team mates is afk or disconnected and there is "no possible way to win" (prior 3 points).

On 9/10/2023 at 11:56 PM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Do I have a chance to win? 

No? Then why waste my time? 

I can get a shower and make food by the time the match is finished. 

"We’re putting the fun back in fantasy combat—come join us on the battlefield!"

"Words mean nothing when actions are the complete opposite."

Anet is soely blamed for Afk and for PvP being treated as trash

(Oh! I almost forgot to mention the future of PvP- The Bots   who will also be left playing PvP alongside with the Exploiters, Hackers and with the WinTraders )

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Honestly players groan and whine that anets killing pvp by not adding new maps and by poor balancing Yada Yada Yada but in truth it's the playerbase itself that's killing this game. Anet needs to totally remove legendary farming from pvp. The mentality of the pve players do not belong in pvp, they don't give a crap whether they win or lose, u can be up by 50 points and ull find one just afking outside of spawn and when u call them out they just reply happy legendary farming everyone. This games pvp seems to really bring in some real winners, that or adult children as their mentalities are outright pathetic. If ur down 100 points some baby is bound to afk, if ur up points ur still probably gonna have some pve farmer wandering around not giving a crap, if they arnt afking in a corner. Out of 6 matches tonight I had 4 afks and 3 of them were matches we were winning. With a player base this mentally challenged how many new players do u think will honestly stick around? Anet could add 10 new maps and 3 new modes and with a the playerbase as it is with the general mentality that's left in the playerbase game will still have a low population. Maybe it's time to stop blaming anet for pvps failing population and look at the players mentalities and actions, there's no way 90% of gw2 pvp population are 10 yr olds.

Edited by Psycoprophet.8107
  • Thanks 1