The Carry Experience

bethekey.8314

Why should the Elite players among us be the only ones that get to experience what it's like to carry in Guild Wars 2 PvP?

I think it's downright selfish to get all the kills, cap all the points/buffs, and win the clutch 1v3s over and over. Rotating in that exact right moment to secure the win? Priceless core memory.

It's not that your other teammates don't know how to kill, rotate, or cap. Cmon, those are basics. It's these kitten Elitists taking all the opportunity and experience away. PvP is dying because new players never get the chance to step up and take the reins.

I propose all Plat+ players give others that chance. Stop rotating, sit home, and watch. Read a book or something in the downtime, you tryhard addicts. Your teammates will rise to the occasion. I guarantee it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, bethekey.8314 said:

Why should the Elite players among us be the only ones that get to experience what it's like to carry in Guild Wars 2 PvP?

I think it's downright selfish to get all the kills, cap all the points/buffs, and win the clutch 1v3s over and over. Rotating in that exact right moment to secure the win? Priceless core memory.

It's not that your other teammates don't know how to kill, rotate, or cap. Cmon, those are basics. It's these kitten Elitists taking all the opportunity and experience away. PvP is dying because new players never get the chance to step up and take the reins.

I propose all Plat+ players give others that chance. Stop rotating, sit home, and watch. Read a book or something in the downtime, you tryhard addicts. Your teammates will rise to the occasion. I guarantee it.

it'll never happen because there's too many douchebags who play this game. There are too many cheap mechanics that people will abuse that make the game mode just not fun for everyone else. I've made a lot of posts expressing my opinion, but these douchebags here insist that everything is perfectly balanced and in a good state. If you think this game mode is fun right now than you're a kittening idiot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, bethekey.8314 said:

I think promoting growth is honorable, good job Woodstock

Edited by Last Crab.6054

I think the game mode as is is just unpopular by the design of it, people dont play MMO pvp to play some moba look a like.

ppl probably just want to fight when they queu up for some pvp, probably why wvw is arguably more popular among the player base in general.

Edited by deathdealer.2197
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, deathdealer.2197 said:

I think the game mode as is is just unpopular by the design of it, people dont play MMO pvp to play some moba look a like.

ppl probably just want to fight when they queu up for some pvp, probably why wvw is arguably more popular among the player base in general.

I think this is a great take.
I honestly think that your average and below average pvper or pvp enjoyer doesnt want to think about how rotations work how you need to go afk on that point because thats what your class does.
People wana go into pvp bash in their skulls and thats it. We need a game mode for that. I personally am enjoying the 2v2s right now more then our 5v5s

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Deadmoose.6594 said:

it'll never happen because there's too many douchebags who play this game. There are too many cheap mechanics that people will abuse that make the game mode just not fun for everyone else. I've made a lot of posts expressing my opinion, but these douchebags here insist that everything is perfectly balanced and in a good state. If you think this game mode is fun right now than you're a kittening idiot.

this

I'm also going to post this here and I Encourage Anet to take a read

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/to-prevent-toxicity-design-games-with-community-management-in-mind

"“When your game becomes toxic, your reputation precedes you,” 

"Lazzaro explains that the first step to mitigating abuse through design is to think about exactly what behaviors mechanics in your game reward."

"Lazzaro says developers should identify gaps in game design that may lead to potential abuse down the road. If one specific area of fun is lacking, for example, players may come up with their own ways to play and satisfy their own goals, sometimes at the expense of other players through activities like griefing or harassment. She encouraged developers to look at the emotions that are coming from such players during the short and long term and design challenges within the game to satiate those emotional needs."

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@bethekey.8314

You know I've thought a lot about it, and one of the biggest problems is that players queue dodge each other which creates SO many problems.

What we need is a queue system that works something more like a bowling season at your local bowling ally. Where IE: Every team plays every team once and there is no way to queue dodge unless you want to straight forfeit. I have no idea the logistics behind how this would work and I haven't put much thought behind this short-sighted idea but it is true. Games need to devise a better competitive template that intrinsically removes methods of match manipulations both hard & soft methods.

I know this is difficult to do and would like sacrifice the casualness of a game mode, turning it into something that would require more time dedication, such as sitting down for an MAT, but it's just what needs to happen. Games should leave casual chain queueing for things like Unranked because no one cares to cheat in Unranked. But if a company wants to run something more competitive with rankings, they absolutely must create tighter borders that edge out methods of match manipulation.

In the end here, we learned that Glicko in a queue system like this is ridiculously exploitable. It just can't work without very tentative eyes watching player behavior & conduct, and taking action to moderate that behavior & conduct quickly & concisely.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

But if a company wants to run something more competitive

Anet doesnt want that tho.  😂

the moose is dead.  its very very obvious they stopped caring half a decade ago.  

Matchmanipulation and selling titles is a well known thing... the names are well known... they are doing it on stream....  yet.... no punishment. 

If that doesnt scream " WE DO NOT CARE "....  i dont know what does.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 4:22 AM, bethekey.8314 said:

Well I've tried but people then complain that X is too strong on the side node be it SpB, Bladesworn, Berserker, Untamed, Druid, SLB, Condi Rev or whatever. I've had roamers whispering me when they waste all of their skills and die , then your class OP you get carried, bla bla bla. But when I get 20+ kills on Reaper and win the game no one whispers. 
I know this a /s thread but it is frustrating playing with people that don't even want to try to play the game on basic level,  it is even worse if they have some kind of Ego that they are good at the game. 

4 hours ago, Vancho.8750 said:

Well I've tried but people then complain that X is too strong on the side node be it SpB, Bladesworn, Berserker, Untamed, Druid, SLB, Condi Rev or whatever. I've had roamers whispering me when they waste all of their skills and die , then your class OP you get carried, bla bla bla. But when I get 20+ kills on Reaper and win the game no one whispers. 
I know this a /s thread but it is frustrating playing with people that don't even want to try to play the game on basic level,  it is even worse if they have some kind of Ego that they are good at the game. 

Yeah the silvers and golds never acknowledge carries in my experience, they're too unaware. They can sure feel the lack of it though, and then they start getting antsy/rude. Same goes for class balance when the ego inflates and balance deflates.

• Thanks 1

I don't know what rotation actually is if im honest.. becuase in my experiance, people who say ''im rotating'' spend the whole game feeding on far.

For me, the only reason I ever go far is if we can't win mid fights. If we are winning mid fights then its a simple case of defending home for an easy win.. but many games thrown becuase of this ''rotating'' aka feeding on far, which then ends up with us getting back capped all game.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

xd

Honestly, just like with any skill in life, I think practice is key. There are so many things to practice and so many ways to practice as a gamer. Your mindset, your reflexes/coordination, your game sense/game knowledge, the social aspects. I wish more people would practice. Practice helps you build the road to gamer salvation. Practice practicing! It's practical. Some good ways to practice:

1. Type. There are several free online typing assistants that use A.I. generated words to help you become more fluid with your inputs. Great for helping stomp out keybind dysphoria

2. Slow the game down. Read skill descriptions, look up internal trait modifiers on the wiki, acknowledge the individual minutiae. Then work toward stimulation level: lightspeed. Repeat.

3. Detach, expand, flow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2023 at 9:22 PM, bethekey.8314 said:

The tryhards have nothing else going for them in general. So they need this to feel complete and satisfy their egos. Saddening but true.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/20/2023 at 4:49 PM, Avatar.3568 said:

People have No clue how to rotate, in 10 out of 10 Games there ist at least 1 Guy that doesnt know (but thats a rare Minimum), mostly its about 6 and Sometimes even worden.

i play dh core Guard i can't rotate to slow anyway.

rotation is the wrong word maybe for many classes. look for teamfights or look for decap or duells depend on what u play

Edited by Balsa.3951
  • Confused 1

On 10/19/2023 at 9:22 PM, bethekey.8314 said:

We differ on this... I figure if I'm hard carrying, it's because I account for the MMR raise in our team and its factored in that I need to carry.   I don't like the princess who realise they're better than their team and use it as a justification to give up cause team sucks.  I mean from a pure match making mechanics point, you might be on that team specifically to carry it and make up for a higher average on another team.

I get that it's frustrating when you are literally perfect and sweating it and you can't carry.  But as long as the others are putting their best in, I take that in stride.   It would be better of course if there was more population and so putting a high rank player with 4 way below never came up as an algorithmic variance... but given the state of things it makes sense that it happens.  I just take those games as practice ones.

• Thanks 1

The reality of any team game is that you can be the best player in that match and still lose.

If you're a competitive person who values results then this feels like garbage. You were robbed of a deserved win because others couldn't carry their weight.

Troll post or no, I get the frustration. I'm not going to give some cliché spiel about changing your mindset or anything like that. Instead, if you find yourself getting frustrated more often than you're having fun. It might be time to try other games. 

Fighting games are my go-to alternative. No teammates to worry about, just your skill vs your opponent. Losses still sting, but at least they're within they're fully within your control. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, magickthief.6492 said:

If you lost, you DID NOT CARRY. One more time, for the slow. IF YOU LOST, YOU DID NOT CARRY. You goofs need to learn what carry means.

Carrying has nothing to do with winning imo. It has to do with relative contribution to the team's progress. If I solo kill 20 players in a match and never die, while my teammates are constantly on farm, I've contributed net 100 pts toward the win while my teammates are probably net negative.

3 hours ago, shion.2084 said:

We differ on this... I figure if I'm hard carrying, it's because I account for the MMR raise in our team and its factored in that I need to carry.   I don't like the princess who realise they're better than their team and use it as a justification to give up cause team sucks.  I mean from a pure match making mechanics point, you might be on that team specifically to carry it and make up for a higher average on another team.

I get that it's frustrating when you are literally perfect and sweating it and you can't carry.  But as long as the others are putting their best in, I take that in stride.   It would be better of course if there was more population and so putting a high rank player with 4 way below never came up as an algorithmic variance... but given the state of things it makes sense that it happens.  I just take those games as practice ones.

It's totally fine if there's an expectation for you to perform well, or even "carry" if that's possible on most builds. My tongue-in-cheek claim here is that the majority of average players can't or won't perform the basics to allow a win in the first place.

I've had close games where I go 28-0. Games where PvE guilds all cap home 4v0 at the start. Games where every even fight between my teammates and the enemy is lost etc. These things shouldn't happen if teammates know game basics and are matched equally to the other team. But they do, often enough for me to conclude that the majority of average GW2 PvPers don't know the basics, don't care to learn the basics or improve, and are often belligerent about this.

I have very little patience for these people now.

Anet could improve PvP learning, community, and matchmaking. Resources ARE out there for this. Myself and others have all made multiple threads about how this could be done. But their efforts are directed elsewhere, much like how I direct mine elsewhere when matchmaking is poor.

3 hours ago, Kuma.1503 said:

The reality of any team game is that you can be the best player in that match and still lose.

If you're a competitive person who values results then this feels like garbage. You were robbed of a deserved win because others couldn't carry their weight.

Troll post or no, I get the frustration. I'm not going to give some cliché spiel about changing your mindset or anything like that. Instead, if you find yourself getting frustrated more often than you're having fun. It might be time to try other games. 

Fighting games are my go-to alternative. No teammates to worry about, just your skill vs your opponent. Losses still sting, but at least they're within they're fully within your control. 

Yep well said. I am exploring other games, but I do like the social component of MMOs. I would find fighting games more appealing if the upfront learning curve was more about strategy than memorizing + executing button combos.

Edited by bethekey.8314