[Future-proof for dev]Times are mature for mobile porting

12 hours ago, CETheLucid.3964 said:

Maybe an app to manage your wares on the trading post and gather your home instance/guild hall? Post on the forums? I don't think it's feasible to actually play GW2 on mobile though.

Wonder is Power. The will to do it is the only limit
That’s an interview to the producer of Resident Evil. He sayed that with specific tools porting on MacOS wasn’t harder than porting on WIN, but the engine of RE was able to do it.

https://www-dday-it.translate.goog/redazione/47388/resident-evil-village-iphone-15-pro?_x_tr_sl=it&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=it&_x_tr_pto=wapp#

The only limit isnt the screen size but the kick in of thermal throttle, but even here there are some joystick scaffold for phone with fans incorporated like the Gamesir x3 compatible for iphone 15

Edited by Skorpion.4850
Orthography
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, CETheLucid.3964 said:

Maybe an app to manage your wares on the trading post and gather your home instance/guild hall? Post on the forums? I don't think it's feasible to actually play GW2 on mobile though.

IIRC there was some ANet chatter around launch about making the BLT web/mobile available outside the game client, etc., but that idea got quietly and quickly dropped without going anywhere.

As I understand it the thing is just a website, and the game client itself is doing all of the "moderation" type tasks. Maybe the bot and listing speed control measures etc. inside the game didn't work outside of it, or it may have been some other kind of trading exploit that could possibly circumvent their systems (can't exactly remember the details, it was a long time ago).

On 10/29/2023 at 11:48 AM, Burnfall.9573 said:

but something happend, their marketing team told them that the game would immediately fail

Sure! 
Source?

Not that I think it's a good idea anyways, but if you come out with a claim like this, you either have a direct source or you're just spewing bullkitten. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Sobx.1758

On 10/29/2023 at 3:10 PM, Skorpion.4850 said:

I tried GeForce NOW for Safari on iPhone but GW2 is still not supported even with mounted joystick like Backbone. You won't be able to launch GW2 after adding it you your library.

Even the idea of paying months/fee for better GW2 experience on GeForce NOW plans is priceless compared to idea of playing everywhere you want (for me is priceless playing lied down in my bed, with my phone hitting me  on nose when Im falling asleep, everyone should try this feeling)

https://cdn.thisiswhyimbroke.com/images/the-ultimate-gaming-bed-banhutte-640x533.jpg

On 10/30/2023 at 1:31 AM, MrGarlic.1834 said:

Mobile Phones are getting bigger all the time, so when they have 24 inch screens with optional mouse and keyboard, then maybe GW2 could be ported over 🙂

Ofc and someday your iphone is gonna get a 20 inch screen with a keyboard and a mouse included in the box ... oh wait it's a pc ! i'd love playing in the bus with my mouse on my thigh and keyboard on the other , while having a special hat who allows my screen to follow me everywhere.

i've tryed on steam deck... and gameplay is dog🦨🤢🤮

Also we pc gamers are elitist , we will not allow our game to be played on peasant cheap smartphones (i am joking ofc).

And gl precisely targeting an aoe with the xbox controller.

Edited by zeyeti.8347
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Skorpion.4850 said:

Try landing an aoe with precision with those sticks or even the fingerpad , if you play only melee it's okay ish , but anything range is really stuck in term of accessibility, the problem here is not configuration , teh steam deck handle the game pretty well , but gw 2 is jst not ment for many ppl to be played with a controller or sticks , imagine playing elden ring with a mouse and a keyboard , it doenst feel the same at all.

guess it's okay on easy content.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 11:12 AM, Teknomancer.4895 said:

IIRC there was some ANet chatter around launch about making the BLT web/mobile available outside the game client, etc., but that idea got quietly and quickly dropped without going anywhere.

As I understand it the thing is just a website, and the game client itself is doing all of the "moderation" type tasks. Maybe the bot and listing speed control measures etc. inside the game didn't work outside of it, or it may have been some other kind of trading exploit that could possibly circumvent their systems (can't exactly remember the details, it was a long time ago).

TP is a website, I've gotten 404'd on it lol. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

Ofc and someday your iphone is gonna get a 20 inch screen with a keyboard and a mouse included in the box ... oh wait it's a pc ! i'd love playing in the bus with my mouse on my thigh and keyboard on the other , while having a special hat who allows my screen to follow me everywhere.

i've tryed on steam deck... and gameplay is dog🦨🤢🤮

Also we pc gamers are elitist , we will not allow our game to be played on peasant cheap smartphones (i am joking ofc).

And gl precisely targeting an aoe with the xbox controller.

I target aoes precisely with a ps4 controller in ffxiv, so it's doable, though most of the time they get macrod to cast on current target. I place aoes at my mouse cursor here, it auto casts on key up at mouse *shrugs*

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Sakiri.4809 said:

I target aoes precisely with a ps4 controller in ffxiv, so it's doable, though most of the time they get macrod to cast on current target. I place aoes at my mouse cursor here, it auto casts on key up at mouse *shrugs*

ffxiv is a game who is slower than gw 2 and has support for ps4, i don't even know why you bring this up, the games are completely different , it's like i compare gear of wars with doom eternal , "but it's the same it's an "f"ps were ya shoot stuff duh ...", why you think the devs didn't go to ps and xbox , the game is fast paced combat, with some training ofc everybody could do it, and anyway i doubt the support has the ressource nor the time to deal with that , there is already kind of a thing on the steam deck, and targeting an aoe auto on target in many case result in a death , use a teleport to go away , but oopsie you end up on the boss "shrug".

Finally put i really doubt the devs commit to that just for a minority of players who want to go play in their bed with the mobile version (or on the toilet...)

The point everybody bring you up here is that rather having ressources spend on that ppl would like more content for the actual state of the game , wvw and pvp players really need some update for their content , cause the game was advertise as having amazing wvw and pvp content and got little things updated for this content and i say that while i am not a pvp nor a wvw player, on the other hand there was aproject of gw2 having a mobile TOOL , not the actual game, on cellphones where you could access black lion company , have tracks of some events happening , it was ment to use while you play on your pc , the project was abandonned.

I wouldn't mind if Anet was a big company like square enyx and has a team dedicated for this project , but anet isn't a triple A company in term of personal , i as many other are fine with it on pc , if you adapt stuff to mobile gaming -> the game is gonna be sh*t , comabat adapted for slow kids using cellphones , diablo immortal reminder ? cash and grab for the devs , pay to win added to the game etc ... real gamers despite mobile gaming cellphones and there is a reason for this , they completely ruined some games with their cash shops selling pay to win stuff , no wonder everybody goes jeopardy here ....

So as someone said , mobile gaming should never have gotten past snake.

Edited by zeyeti.8347

12 minutes ago, Sakiri.4809 said:

I bring it up, because it's doable. Auto place on target, done. You also have obviously never played games with a controller. You can get really, REALLY good with it. 

Not to be smug or anything, a genuine question that always occurs to me when the topic of "can I play GW2 with a controller" comes up. Don't you run out of buttons? I mean, sure WASD goes on one of the joysticks, but then there's five weapon skills, five utility skills, up to seven F-skills (depending on class/elite), and that's just the combat related stuff.  You probably want a button for "interact with" and probably a button for jump. Dodge can be done by doubletapping but maybe you want a button for that too. You probably want to have a "shift" button so you can map more things to the buttons you have. Let's ay we're roughly at 20 buttons you'd like to have. How do you do that on a controller? Again, honest question.

(Also about the autocast of AoEs in GW2 there are options you can choose to make this fit the way you want them to be casst.)

2 hours ago, zeyeti.8347 said:

Finally put i really doubt the devs commit to that just for a minority of players who want to go play in their bed with the mobile version (or on the toilet...)

How many salt mixed with prejudice in a single sentence. Minority did you say?

That's a report analysis of 2018 about how the single segments in the Game Market would have grown in the following years:

https://venturebeat.com/games/newzoo-global-games-expected-to-hit-180-1-billion-in-revenues-2021/

Guess what? they were right in 2022 happened what they forseen. https://newzoo.com/resources/blog/the-games-market-in-2022-the-year-in-numbers.

Now consider that i have not asked "If a mobile version of gw2 will ever come" because every analyst even inside ANet team who sees market trends can conclude that if i have some money i have to invest where is more profitable even to reinvest the revenue in the game itself to expand all the aspects you said.

I said that Times are mature to consider this option right here and right now, to not lose that segment market in favor of competitors.

Times are mature because the technology allows new prospectives: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/apples-a17-pro-challenges-core-i9-13900k-ryzen-7950x-in-single-core-performance

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Future proof? Maybe. But if you ask me, that's a future I'd rather not see.

And as harsh as it is to say it, if not getting a mobile version means we lose players like OP forever, I'm okay with that. I don't think a mobile version would really have prevented this guy from leaving anyways.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 4

Let's be realistic here.

If you people haven't realized, right at this thread you're telling NC-Soft, one of the biggest mobile MMO developer on the planet, that porting its casual MMO onto mobile don't work.

Feel free to browse its track record and sales number for the past few years.

Edited by Vilin.8056
  • Confused 4

Porting something to a mobile game will decrease it's quality , look at all the cr*ap mobile gaming have done , monetizing everything , pay to win , automated gameplay , ... and all sort off diabolic "gaming" design , mobile gaming is what fast food is to the 5 star culinary world -> cr*ap (diablo immortal reminder again...)

And i sincerly hope anet will not use ressource into that, so that just a M-i-n-o-r-i-t-y of gamers (Mobile "gaming" isn't gaming , i should have pointed that out) keep the ******** mobile gaming out of the true world of real gaming design, want some proof ? look at all the adverstising we have on youtube for mobile gaming , when you can see the amazing gameplay that even a deaf newborn can do .... hero wars , clash of clan (so called strategy game where you can't even control your troops, ... ) all of that is similar to me as diarrhea and i , as many others, don't want that to happen to this game, even if there is only a small chance to happen, and if you search you will notice all fervent mobile gamers are playing because they are bored and have nothing else to do , i play gw 2 and other real games because i want to play it, big diff.

What i don't understand is you promoting the steam deck "amazing" controls , well go for it no one will retain you, ah yes sorry the steam deck is heavy ... go lifting !

22 hours ago, Vilin.8056 said:

Let's be realistic here.

If you people haven't realized, right at this thread you're telling NC-Soft, one of the biggest mobile MMO developer on the planet, that porting its casual MMO onto mobile don't work.

Feel free to browse its track record and sales number for the past few years.

Yeah ... i've browsed , and what i see puzzup amitoi (candy crush ...) , lineage 2 (with his narcoleptic gameplay from 2003)... great , you want the game to ressemble that ?

And btw gw 2 is ncsoft west who is responsible for gw 1 , lineage 2, blade and soul and ofc gw 2  , a company isn't all at the same place and have dedicated teams to dedicated projects , and ncsoft west isn't especially specialized in mobile gaming.

So no Ncsoft west isn't the biggest MMo mobile provider. So the sound designer don't make artbooks , nor the graphic designer or voiceover make the gameplay, specific teams to specifics projects. Keep your candy crush gameplay where it belongs ... 

Edited by zeyeti.8347
  • Like 3

On 11/1/2023 at 11:18 AM, Sakiri.4809 said:

I bring it up, because it's doable. Auto place on target, done. You also have obviously never played games with a controller. You can get really, REALLY good with it. 

Done all Souls game with a controller (except sekiro , can't pass freaking Isshin...), so i know how to put the controller at work , ty.

And landing an aoe with a stick on a 3d game who isn't even isometric vision is completely random , and the use of auto target for aoe , jeez , wait till you play support and land the healing aoe on the boss faraway from your team, you feel like a casual (no offense , being casual is ok) who just want to play gw in his bed...

I want to see heavy gameplay with it not just a random dude saying you can do that and that while moving in a non hostile area ... on hard content ofc.

Again steam deck is supported  , go buy it .... and the controller too , so why are you here telling it needs a mobile port and a controller support , it's already there !

Steam deck is too heavy or what ?

The fact you bring up the more money the mobile gaming has done is because ppl are freaking whales , doing everyhting to feel strong somewhere (even in a game) while spending tons of money for literall colors swaps and it's because of mobile gaming some great games like star wars battlefront where complete trash on release with predatory moneytization.

Also because something is popular doesnt mean it's good , mc donals is popular , go eat there everyday for a month , you ll see if it's good ....

Mobile gaming is the sh*t hole of gaming design, better flush it away !

Edited by zeyeti.8347