I miss this game so much.

Sian.7419

So this is more of a rant/chat/I miss this game discussion as I haven't had a PC for about 7ish years now, this game was shown to me by a very good friend as I adore ESO and Skyrim and now as I'm console due to pc costing 20 kidneys, I miss this game! Alot.

I miss my Char and getting so lost as the game is so big and I loved how everything had a story but I just can't afford a pc, let alone keep up with the ever changing demand of graphics cards and powerful gear.. putting one together is out of the question as well (my income is low) everything I own is I believe 8 years behind!.

I'm in no way a computer nerd either so console was my next obvious choice.. it was affordable and stayed relevant for ages.

Sorry if this isn't allowed here but I was wondering if anyone else and their character has been lost to either not owning a pc or unable to afford one, am I alone here?

Thankyou for reading 🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Sian.7419 said:

So this is more of a rant/chat/I miss this game discussion as I haven't had a PC for about 7ish years now, this game was shown to me by a very good friend as I adore ESO and Skyrim and now as I'm console due to pc costing 20 kidneys, I miss this game! Alot.

I miss my Char and getting so lost as the game is so big and I loved how everything had a story but I just can't afford a pc, let alone keep up with the ever changing demand of graphics cards and powerful gear.. putting one together is out of the question as well (my income is low) everything I own is I believe 8 years behind!.

I'm in no way a computer nerd either so console was my next obvious choice.. it was affordable and stayed relevant for ages.

Sorry if this isn't allowed here but I was wondering if anyone else and their character has been lost to either not owning a pc or unable to afford one, am I alone here?

Thankyou for reading 🙂

Good news it still plays on my laptop thats 10 years old.

• Like 3

You'll be back. 

Think positive. 

I'm still playing on an old laptop, just like Linken.

I was considering a new computer, but I have real life priorities which, does not allow me to save enough for a decent one.

I also spent about 6 years without playing GW1 and understand you perfectly.

About 3 years ago, I was away, and didn't have access to my computer for about 7 months, abd it was really frustrating. 

My entertainment was drawing earth's maps and fill in the places from tyria, and make a list of characters I wanted to do, among other game related things.

Other than that, I played a lot on my playstation too... a lot.

Final Fantasy 12 on the ps2 is the closest thing you're ever going to get to gw2.

So try that in the meantime. 

Good luck.

I know the feeling all too well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

You'll be back. 

Think positive. 

I'm still playing on an old laptop, just like Linken.

I was considering a new computer, but I have real life priorities which, does not allow me to save enough for a decent one.

I also spent about 6 years without playing GW1 and understand you perfectly.

About 3 years ago, I was away, and didn't have access to my computer for about 7 months, abd it was really frustrating. 

My entertainment was drawing earth's maps and fill in the places from tyria, and make a list of characters I wanted to do, among other game related things.

Other than that, I played a lot on my playstation too... a lot.

Final Fantasy 12 on the ps2 is the closest thing you're ever going to get to gw2.

So try that in the meantime. 

Good luck.

I know the feeling all too well.

Thankyou so much, one day I hope to sell 20 kidneys and own a somewhat okay laptop as they could stay relevant too?

Life has gotten expensive but I and determined to play my Charr once more!

I'm on ps5 and wishing so hard for that impossible console port. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Have you considered buying a used gaming laptop? I sold my 2018 gaming laptop a few days ago on ebay for less than $250, and that was fully capable of playing GW2 (way above minimum specs). Buying a used gaming laptop capable of playing GW2 should be cheaper than PS5.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sian.7419 said:

Thankyou so much, one day I hope to sell 20 kidneys and own a somewhat okay laptop as they could stay relevant too?

If you're in the market to buy an affordable gaming computer, I don't mind helping you. Feel free to add me on discord: dreamyabaddon

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlueJin.4127 said:

Have you considered buying a used gaming laptop? I sold my 2018 gaming laptop a few days ago on ebay for less than $250, and that was fully capable of playing GW2 (way above minimum specs). Buying a used gaming laptop capable of playing GW2 should be cheaper than PS5.

I have actually considered this! But living honestly costs alot now and I have an apartment and bills to pay, but yes this one has crossed my mind alot.

• Like 1

If I understood your post, you don't have a PC but have a console?  You could try looking into cloud gaming services to access GW2.   I read some time ago that Geforce Now for example, can be accessed from console and have a huge array of PC games.  There is a monthly fee (not sure how much, as there are different levels) but apparently a lot of people find it really good; there were some threads on this in GW2 reddit some time ago, so you might find more detailed info on it if you look.  It could pose one way for you to access PC game experience from the device you have now.

That said, you could always get an inexpensive laptop or desktop system to run the game well; this is an older game and many old systems can run it.  When I travel, I use an old HP laptop for example, and can log in and play just fine, albeit with much lower setting than current system at home.

• Thanks 1

Computers that can run GW2 are relatively affordable now but "affordable" is different for different people, especially today. 
My own computer is 14 years old with parts salvaged from my friend's computer for upgrades. It's on the last upgrade it can ever have but it's been worth the investment. 
I don't need anything better yet because I literally just use my computer to play Gw2 and watch Youtube and occasionally stream. 

You can purchase computers on payment plans. My first computer was a Del, and it took 2 years to pay off but it had been , at the time, very much worth it. 

• Like 1

The game runs on GeForce Now (and very smoothly). Sub is either 10€ or 20€ a month (20 gives you a RTX4080). The only downside is you need to have fiber to have a great experience. Max stream quality is either 4k at 120 fps or 2k at 240 fps. Stream latency is around 10-15 ms but the latency between Nvidia servers and Anet servers is pretty good (around 30 ms, at least for Paris servers) so overall you'll have a total latency of something like 40 ms (which in my case is the same as what I used to have from my pc to Anet servers). Hope it can help!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sian.7419 said:

I dont think we will ever see gw2 getting a port unless something very crazy happens 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I did the opposite to you and prioritised keeping my old PC going over buying a new console when I couldn't afford both, but I can absolutely sympathise on how annoying it can be to have to make that choice. When I was finally able to afford a Switch Breath of the Wild rapidly became one of my favourite games of all time and I regret not getting it sooner (although part of the reason I told myself I didn't need a Switch was because I had several Zelda games I hadn't finished.)

Having a functional PC has always been one of my priority "non-essential" expenditures and I think other than the fact I use it for much more than gaming it's because I can spend what I can afford on whatever parts I can get rather than having to pay for a whole new machine when the manufacturer is ready to release one. There's been many times "functional" was the best you could say about it, and then only after 2 or 3 attempts at starting it up. (I still don't know what a "k mode exception" is but if I never have to hear that a computer can't handle them again it'll still be too soon.)

My first PC was an Intel 386 laptop my dad got free because it was obsolete so his work was throwing it out. I think the one I've got now is the best I've had for the time I had it and then it's only mid-range (it was chosen to be slightly over the minimum requirements for Total War: Warhammer III). Among other things it doesn't do 4K (because the graphics cards were stupidly expensive and I'd have to buy a new monitor), but all the parts were new at the same time and it's only 1.5 years old. The one it replaced had parts ranging from 3 to 10 years old and some of them weren't new when I got them.

Guild Wars 2 is 11 years old now, and it wasn't the most demanding game when it came out. You should be able to find something relatively cheap that will run it, or if you're willing to risk wasting some time try places like Facebook marketplace for a free computer. You could definitely get one cheaper than a PS5.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Assolador.3598 said:

I dont think we will ever see gw2 getting a port unless something very crazy happens 

I can't say how much complicated it could be, but a graphical upgrade and ports could be a good source of revenue. GW2 has a lot of branding on it and if done it could give us not only the updates the ports come with (or are needed for them) but also an expanded revenue and budget for the game.

• Confused 1

My first rig was a standard work desktop with an integrated graphics card from 2011. Framerate was around 25-30 FPS going up to 50 FPS in unpopulated zones. When PoF launched, the meta event in Vabbi literally caused the computer to crash so hard that the game would freeze for 3 minutes, then lock me for another 3 minutes as my character tried to execute all of the inputs.

I mean, I'd never go back, but the bare minimum to play this game is actually really low.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SlateSloan.3654 said:

Ebay is by now full of cheap hardware offers. If you can afford a console plus games you can afford a pc that runs gw2.

The console took 6 months to save for! I'm loving everyones responses and kindness in here too and I'm really leaning into the second hand idea, thankyou for your kind words.

2 hours ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

I don't know if you're in the US but there are Black Friday (Thanksgiving holiday) sales all over the place going on right now.  You can look around online and see if any laptops are possible for you with sale prices.

Unfortunately I'm UK where 20 kidneys isn't enough to get by anymore.. however the eBay or second hand idea is really good and I'm gonna possibly try it, miss this game that much 🤣

6 hours ago, Dreimar Dhagon.5246 said:

The game runs on GeForce Now (and very smoothly). Sub is either 10€ or 20€ a month (20 gives you a RTX4080). The only downside is you need to have fiber to have a great experience. Max stream quality is either 4k at 120 fps or 2k at 240 fps. Stream latency is around 10-15 ms but the latency between Nvidia servers and Anet servers is pretty good (around 30 ms, at least for Paris servers) so overall you'll have a total latency of something like 40 ms (which in my case is the same as what I used to have from my pc to Anet servers). Hope it can help!

Looked into the G force thing and it's all out of stock! Not surprised being what it is... I was so sad as that could've saved time and money.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just as a general thing, I avoid laptops for anything but work. A desktop machine is almost always upgradeable where a laptop rarely is. Get it barebones with enough spec to run what you need, then over time add some RAM here, a bigger drive there, better video later, etc.

My current PC has been in use for about 8 years, but only the CPU and motherboard are still the originals (they were pretty good at the time, now mid-range).

Then you can philosophize about it: if every piece of it was swapped out at some point in its history, but only rarely and never more than one at a time, at what point does it stop being the same computer? 😆

• Like 2