January 30 Balance Update Preview

Rubi Bayer.8493

29 minutes ago, Rosey.1608 said:

"Interesting" to see a bunch of nerfs to a ton of PVE builds that aren't getting a ton of usage (condi mirage and condi quickness untamed stand out in particular, but the argument can be made for condi holo as well), but zero nerfs to herald still.  Glad that nonsense gets to continue.  Give herald alac sometime soon and we won't need any other classes in the game.

And still no fix for scrapper quickness.  Very disappointed, but what's new.  Not surprised that it's getting nerfs again, can't seem to let that class perform well in any capacity for longer than like a month.

Seriously, way harsh on condi mirage in particular, I still barely see the build even if it's high performing right now.

No boon build should go past 36k rule.
No matter the popularity, the build did 37k and got bonked a bit back into boons with dps nerf and might buff.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Mirage being worse than before November with those changes. GG anet. 
It would be very justified though, if Mirage didn't have such a high skillfloor. Other classes are very easy to play compared to Mirage and hit 40k + very easily. 
On Mirage you have to watch out for every little thing to do somewhat decent even. 
In relation to it's difficulty the numbers past-patch will just not justify playing this class any further - again! 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 3

Love to see Might with no Opportunity Cost for Quicktamed. We can bring fair Might now without anything or heavy Might with Sun Spirit + Jungle Prowler. Great boost.
Also welcome back(?) greatsword and probably Arrow Cart Build.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IvarEriksson.2498 said:

What’s the reason for not going all the way? I can’t see a single reason for it to be the way it is now. 

Too much work. They don't get paid enough to do the level of balance in the timeframe you want.
It took a week to fix gliding in WvW, you think they can feasibly balance all skills in WvW each quarter ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, TexZero.7910 said:

Too much work. They don't get paid enough to do the level of balance in the timeframe you want.
It took a week to fix gliding in WvW, you think they can feasibly balance all skills in WvW each quarter ?

they could if they wanted to, but why ? people will still buy gems and expacs no matter the state of the game. Anet learned after 2 expacs to not put effort in and they still see some level of profits. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

Surely this patch will balance a couple of builds that everyone knows about that are destroying any semblance of balance in wvw mid and small scale.
Joke patch LUL
Edit: For low iq people, its sarcasm. 

Edited by XECOR.2814
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I like ranger GS hopefully being good again (that was on my 2024 wish-list 😉), but:

19 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:
  • Swoop: Increased the power coefficient from 1.0 to 2.18 in PvE only.

I don't think this specific thing is the right move. Forced movement skills should ideally be utility, not part of your rotation. I'd prefer the auto chain and maul/hilt bash were able to compensate for swoop not doing much damage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dahkeus.8243 said:

Hmm...this looks very...light.  Kind of a shame because there seem to be a lot of outstanding issues that are unaddressed here.

Also surprised to see Relic of the Flock buffed.  It's already a good relic and this seems to just make it more efficient at keeping allies alive. 

They actively say why, quite a few of the changes are a "we're doing this for now because we don't know how the new weapon will change things"

However, quite a lot of the changes are just odd. Even if they "overperform" slightly, why focus on lesser used builds and actively ignore the MAIN ones that are overperforming even more?

Edited by Amantiel.3542
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Janky forced usage of Energy Meld still not instant cast. Renegade still ignored. Charged Mists still forced. Herald still the best elite spec.

Frigid Blitz change unneeded; It's a gap closer and not a DPS skill. Also great at getting yourself killing on sab firewall when you fat finger it. I guess it can have use in PvP maybe? I don't know. I don't PvP.

Temporal rift time lowered, cool I guess? More PvP changes?

Echoing Eruption blast finishers reduced. Uh I mean, you know, like, I guess some people used it to blast might at the start of encounters. Doubt anyone cares about using it for self might.

Leviathan Strength nerf to be expected. People willing to deal with the Energy Meld Jank were putting out a lot of damage.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

Mirage changes are horrific, Anet, please, reconsider it.
You already can't really play Condi Axe Mirage on several raid encounters because of forced movements and general awkwardness of the specialization, but after November patch you could at least justify this choice in terms of raw damage output. Now with this change axe mirage will return to its grave once again AND Chaos trait nerfs are the lethal blow to Condi Alac Mirage (and to meme Chaos Condi Dagger Mirage) builds.
Also, changes aimed at support chrono in WvW will murder roamer Power Shatter Chrono as well. 

Another weird decision about Condi Quick Untamed: the real way to improve this build is to give it a bit of stability sharing. Without it and with these damage nerfs, playing condi quick untamed would be a huge disadvantage to any group you'll join, since it cannot bring anything truly unique to the table and it doesn't provide stability. 

Edited by AlnSedai.2793
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

41 minutes ago, JDub.1530 said:

Am I misreading something? The changes to Radiant Fire are stated to enabled off hands other than Torch, but it seems like it's packing all the benefits into Torch instead.

My thoughts, exactly. It look like they will do the exact opposite of what they said they would do.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

After years of Guardian being the dominant support in WvW we finally start to see the viability of other professions like Chrono. But now 3 months after the changes we get this knee-jerk reactionary balance update to make sure Chrono can't compete with Guard.... and on top of that lets buff Guard even more!!! Do you not realize that the meta is STALE thanks to this garbage??? This is because a particular blue class is doing everything to high levels of success right now and it hurts all other professions because it constantly feels as if one is wasting their time if not playing Anet's favorite. And so the calls for Guardian nerfs won't stop, so Guardian mains won't be happy, because no one else is happy playing something sub-par. Stop this BS of making sure that Guardian reigns supreme..... it's choking the life out of the game for F's sake. Focus on making sure they do ONE THING super well and everything else just "ok" so you can make room for other actors to join the show

Edited by Cpt Crunch.7058
various typos
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 5