Legendary Relics are Coming Soon

Does that mean if you craft a legendary rune after release you wont get the legendary relic? What's the cut off?  Ah nevermind, I found the answer tucked in there

What's happening with all the pet based replacements? 

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

Thanks for the update.

Considering everything, this seems very fair. I was definitely concerned with how this could have panned out, and am happy to see thoughtful and proper compensation for those who have legendary runes while still maintaining your vision for future content engagement.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Can someone clarify something for me?  Maybe I don't understand.

There is only one relic slot. So you'll only need one.
If I craft a legendary rune now (before the release of the legendary relic), I will automatically receive the one legendary relic I need.

Is the above assumption correct?

Edited by luuks.5687

47 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

When Legendary relics become available, players who have already crafted at least one Legendary rune will be granted a Legendary relic for free. Learn more about the upcoming addition of Legendary relics here.

P.S. Don't miss the other picture in the post linked above... 

Legendary relics will come with all Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure relic effects unlocked, will still be freely swappable between existing relic effects, and will still be able to be equipped simultaneously on multiple characters. They’ll also have automatic access to the new relic effects we’re planning to release alongside our third major release for Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure. We’ll have more information about future expansions’ effect unlocks sometime later this year after we’ve officially announced expansion 5.

Will Core Relics be unlocked on release as well? @Rubi Bayer.8493

Whether my question is answered or not (hope it will be), this is probably the best announcement we've had in a while!

Edited by Mor The Thief.9135
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had previously communicated that crafting all seven runes would yield additional progress, but as we evaluated options for compensation, it became clear that the best choice was to fully compensate anyone who had made any legendary runes prior to the relic becoming available with a completed legendary relic.

So those of us who crafted a 7th legendary rune in anticipation of the additional progress towards the legendary relic are SOL?  

Or, to put it differently...

ANet: Hey players, if you do the thing, you'll get some additional rewards
Player: Okay great, I'll do the thing!
ANet: LOL just kidding, no additional rewards

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 13

While i find the compensation surprisingly fair (even if i feel sorry for those that rushed crafting 6 or even 7 runes after original announcement, it was always clear to me that crafting them just for compensation was just never going to be sensible cost-wise, especially after charm prices spiked), it's hard for me to not notice that it was likely done just to soften the real blow - making the Legendary Relic not really work like real legendary. Anet is visibly eager to reintroduce the idea of gear grind any way they can, so i really, really hope that there won't be another case of introducing a new gear slot in the future. With the possible exceptions of slots of purely cosmetic value, of course.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 7

29 minutes ago, luuks.5687 said:

Can someone clarify something for me?  Maybe I don't understand.

There is only one relic slot. So you'll only need one.
If I craft a legendary rune now (before the release of the legendary relic), I will automatically receive the one legendary relic I need.

Is the above assumption correct?

it says that the ones who craft leggy runes before soto will recibe de leggy rune, so ... no you wont get it if you craft a leggy rune right now

• Confused 18

"Legendary relics will work a bit differently than other legendary equipment, in that players will need to unlock new relic effects for future expansions in order to make use of them with their legendary relic."
So Legendary means nothing. Cool. Thanks a lot ANet.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 12

this is pure garbage, when the leggy relic gets released we should get ALL relics unlocked regardless if we've not unlocked em based on the pathetic collection. Simply put, anyone whos done all 6-7 leggy runes, should get full reward for the leggy relic or least most of it where its toward the progress of it. rewarding a player with just doing 1 rune isnt how rewards work.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 5

Ive been (very) critical of Anet's handling of relics but this seems reasonable. Unlocking future expansion relic effects could be a sticking point depending on the method. 

I am not making a prediction but I wont be surprised if future expansion relics outperform current options in order to create a form of gear progression.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 6
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

TL;DR:

If you craft a Legendary Rune or have crafted one prior to the release you are eligible to receive a FREE Legendary Relic. The Legendary Relic will have all current Relics. Starting at Expac 5 any future relics will need to be acquired in order to be accessed via the Legendary Relic.

IMHO: 2 steps forward, but 1 step back. People got legendary gear in this game to not have to hunt down new items. I'll engage in new content if it is fun, rewards be damned, and if it is not fun I won't do it, rewards be damned again.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, Omega.6801 said:

"Legendary relics will work a bit differently than other legendary equipment, in that players will need to unlock new relic effects for future expansions in order to make use of them with their legendary relic."
So Legendary means nothing. Cool. Thanks a lot ANet.

Sure it does.  (1) you have it available on all characters, (2) you can which relic it is freely.  To start, you'll have all the existing relics available to choose from.  All of them. 
When new relics are introduced, you'll just have to do whatever is needed to unlock that relic (i.e. play the story, beat the strike mission, whatever).   For example in SotO, when you complete 8 SotO achievements, you unlock Relic of the Akeem.  Following that through to the logical extension, in NextExpac, to unlock Relic of Awesome, you have to complete some number of NextExpac achievements - and once you do so, Relic of Awesome would be added to your Legendary Relic selection.

I would say that "automatically unlock new stats" is one of the most minor parts of what legendary gear offers, so having to do a tiny amount of work doesn't make it mean nothing!

3 minutes ago, vanflyheight.6832 said:

this is pure garbage, when the leggy relic gets released we should get ALL relics unlocked regardless if we've not unlocked em based on the pathetic collection. Simply put, anyone whos done all 6-7 leggy runes, should get full reward for the leggy relic or least most of it where its toward the progress of it. rewarding a player with just doing 1 rune isnt how rewards work.

When the leggy relic gets released you will get all relics unlocked.  "Legendary relics will come with all Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure relic effects unlocked".

It's just FUTURE relics (that don't even exist yet) that won't be unlocked automatically.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

Overall this is pretty disappointing. I'm glad the legendary relic is finally coming out.

Since the initial announcement I had crafted my 7th rune since we didn't know what would come with legendary relic implementation.

I have to say....I'm doubly disappointed. Both in knowing the 7th rune wasn't necessary and especially in seeing that crafting the legendary (or being given it, as the case may be) doesn't free me up from future grind requirements. While I somewhat get why they are doing it this way, making legendary relics functionally different from everything (a lot of?) what legendary gear has meant doesn't sit well with me. It really just makes me dislike relics in general more than I already have.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 10

21 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

While i find the compensation surprisingly fair (even if i feel sorry for those that rushed crafting 6 or even 7 runes after original announcement, it was always clear to me that crafting them just for compensation was just never going to be sensible cost-wise, especially after charm prices spiked), it's hard for me to not notice that it was likely done just to soften the real blow - making the Legendary Relic not really work like real legendary. Anet is visibly eager to reintroduce the idea of gear grind any way they can, so i really, really hope that there won't be another case of introducing a new gear slot in the future. With the possible exceptions of slots of purely cosmetic value, of course.

Those that crafted 6 runes are not being disadvantaged. The functionality of having 6 legendary runes (before relics) is the exact same as having 6 legendary runes+1 legendary relic. 

• Like 14
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, GalenWolffit.3842 said:

It's just FUTURE relics (that don't even exist yet) that won't be unlocked automatically.

We understand that. And I understand WHY thy changed it. I even understand that it probably is an improvement. However, one of the huge QoL things of legendaries for me was to HAVE ALL THE THINGS ON RELEASE WITHOUT JUMPING THROUGH ALL THE HOOPS. If ANet wants people to jump through some hoops for the new Relic of Awesome attach it to a collection that is fun to do, gives a skin and maybe 5AP and people will do it. If ANet wants people to jump through some hoops for the new Relic of Awesome hide the hoops in engaging gamelpay so the hoops don't feel like hoops.

• Like 11

Just now, jul.7602 said:

Those that crafted 6 runes are not being disadvantaged. The functionality of having 6 legendary runes (before relics) is the exact same as having 6 legendary runes+1 legendary relic. 

You might want to reread what i said. What i was talking about was about possibility of more slots that will be treated the same way Relics will (so, with no ability to be future-proofed by the way of getting Legendary for them)

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

What a stupid decision that in the future the legendary relic will not automatically update like all other legendary things? The community didn't ask for these relics at all, it was your decision to add them to the game.

And now, instead of just adding a fresh relic to our build, we will have to farm new relics with each new update, even if we have a legendary one in our arsenal? What then is its “legendarity”? It's just ridiculous.

We already had a full set of runes, which cost money and effort to craft, and should have provided a comfortable game, which was simply taken away from us without giving anything in return.

Edited by triada.6245
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 10

Just now, triada.6245 said:

What a stupid decision that in the future the legendary relic will not automatically update like all other legendary things? The community didn't ask for these relics at all, it was your decision to add them to the game.

And now, instead of just adding a fresh relic to our build, we will have to farm new relics with each new update, even if we have a legendary one in our arsenal? What then is its “legendary”? It's just ridiculous.

We already had a full set of runes, which cost money and effort to craft, and should have provided a comfortable game, which was simply taken away from us without giving anything in return.

This is exactly what im also mentioning

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

Nice. Now everyone can be happy. And I will just craft one legendary rune that I might have crafted anyways (but just much later maybe - without this announcement).
Though I expecct that there still will be people crying like "i crafted 6 or 7 runes and now people get the legendary relic for just crafting 1 rune". 😄

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

Considering this response we got a while ago 

The relic will need to be unlocked separately because relics will have new abilities beyond those covered by runes previously, and the legendary relic will be capable of expanding with new relic releases.

+relic set collections, I'm not exactly surprised we will have to unlock newly released relics. Weird for legendary gear, but I'm ok with it working like that. 

Also, satisfied with relic unlock as compensation. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 3