Potential March 19th changes to NPC lords

Zebulon.1850

The blogpost for today has this for upcoming WvW changes on March 19th.

"World vs. World—Lord Update: We’re modernizing the loadouts of castle, keep, and tower lords with the addition of a new channeled healing skill that aids objective defenders in combat, giving the lord a more active role in battle. Attackers will need to keep a close eye on the lord and break their defiance bar to minimize the support they’re able to provide. As a note, this is currently a stretch goal for the update and may need to shift out to a future update."

Wonder how much of a heal/aoe that is. I can foresee the ram meta will be alive and well to help break the bar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zebulon.1850 said:

Wonder how much of a heal/aoe that is.

And how often the channel will pulse.

If the healing potential allows the Lord to keep his companion NPCs up for only a few seconds, it will only make solo capping more difficult. If it can sustain against larger groups of 5+, I wonder how much Keep Lord camping you can do (thinking about keep lords where re-enforcements can rejoin fairly easy from different paths to the lord's room (e.g. Fire Keep, SMC etc.). Towers are usually more difficult to reach the lord's room, you you might be able to stop re-joining to the new AoE heal area a lot easier.

They modernize the lord with a heal..... yup that goes along just swell with their current support spam philosophy for wvw....

Defenders can't break a boon ball? well just have the lord throw some random heals on them!...

Would be better off throwing room wide stability on defenders, or I dunno boon strips...

This is one of those things that will probably end up as, it wasn't needed for the small scale capture, but ends up being useless for the big scale captures.

😔

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

They modernize the lord with a heal..... yup that goes along just swell with their current support spam philosophy for wvw....

Defenders can't break a boon ball? well just have the lord throw some random heals on them!...

Would be better off throwing room wide stability on defenders, or I dunno boon strips...

This is one of those things that will probably end up as, it wasn't needed for the small scale capture, but ends up being useless for the big scale captures.

😔

But that would be weird anyways. All the changes seem to be weird concerning boonball.

anet doesn’t want boonball to go away. Cause there is one nice and simple solution against it, and it gets nerfed over and over again. Boonstrips and especially booncorrupts!

so as long as they don’t at least revert those nerfs, nothing they add will convince me that boonball is not highly appreciated by those devs.

• Like 2

Why do they keep doing this again: Adding new mechanics without ever fixing the old?

Do they really think that the temporary player spikes from adding literally any weird new stuff into the gamemode bring in more money than actual balance and players having more fun?

Please, just get a vision for WvW.

Edited by Riba.3271
  • Like 10

23 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

😔

They could also add new active tactic that would make all npcs within objective provide all boons to players for 2min in 1200 radius.

42 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

😔

I feel like a guild claim should get to choose their Lord Defense focus like Tactics. 

43 minutes ago, CafPow.1542 said:

But that would be weird anyways. All the changes seem to be weird concerning boonball.

anet doesn’t want boonball to go away. Cause there is one nice and simple solution against it, and it gets nerfed over and over again. Boonstrips and especially booncorrupts!

so as long as they don’t at least revert those nerfs, nothing they add will convince me that boonball is not highly appreciated by those devs.

They could also simmer everything down across the board and make boon application more clutch as an actual decision and a discipline in timing to generate the boon. My Specter boon generation is kind of costly and their durations are a flash, but I feel like it's enough to get through a drive or something. The problem for me there is the rest of the game isn't designed around that dynamic but I think most people would do fine with it.

2 hours ago, Gorani.7205 said:

And how often the channel will pulse.

If the healing potential allows the Lord to keep his companion NPCs up for only a few seconds, it will only make solo capping more difficult. If it can sustain against larger groups of 5+, I wonder how much Keep Lord camping you can do (thinking about keep lords where re-enforcements can rejoin fairly easy from different paths to the lord's room (e.g. Fire Keep, SMC etc.). Towers are usually more difficult to reach the lord's room, you you might be able to stop re-joining to the new AoE heal area a lot easier.

I was reading this more as defending players, not NPCs. Agree the amount of pulses are the devil in the detail here.

47 minutes ago, kash.9213 said:

They could also simmer everything down across the board and make boon application more clutch as an actual decision and a discipline in timing to generate the boon.

Yes this would be the next step, and for pve aswell btw. Not having everything up always and forever would feel more impactful. (Ofc one would need to tune down raids a bit but anyways).

stack up offensive boons for the burst window?

prepare for the incoming damage by providing temporary defense boons?

nah let’s just have a 100% uptime of everything and their mom, sounds fun to meeeee….

yeah no. I agree with you, but that would even be a step further and IF we would have that boon-situation where they are only up sometimes, i would honestly get some tuning / nerfing for booncorruption.

but as it is now? Nope.

5 hours ago, Zebulon.1850 said:

"World vs. World—Lord Update: We’re modernizing the loadouts of castle, keep, and tower lords with the addition of a new channeled healing skill that aids objective defenders in combat, giving the lord a more active role in battle. Attackers will need to keep a close eye on the lord and break their defiance bar to minimize the support they’re able to provide. As a note, this is currently a stretch goal for the update and may need to shift out to a future update."

Wonder how much of a heal/aoe that is. I can foresee the ram meta will be alive and well to help break the bar.

Well, better inform my guildies they have to CC the bar now.

5 hours ago, Zebulon.1850 said:

Since every change to the game is in support of boon-blobs taking everything with little to 0 resistance, I can't imagine it will actually matter at all.  Probably make it easier for comps to farm bags of pugs trying to take SMC, but useless for the rest of the game mode.

8 hours ago, Zebulon.1850 said:

Dear ArenaNet, If you are letting ONE defender troll a whole squad of player with this new idea, . I suggest  to add amount of defenders vs the amount of heal the keep/tower lord churn out.  

Scenario : one sneaky invisible thief activating the keep lord's healing to hold a keep for hours. 

Edited by SweetPotato.7456

I would much rather they balance the unkillable builds  and make boon balls less perfect than make the lords glorified healers. Now the defending boon ball can just sit on the lord and be even stronger.

Also I hope that they make the defiance bars somewhat weaker. Even with a full zero attacking SMC Lord the bar still takes a long time to break.

Edited by Entara.3075
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

I was reading this more as defending players, not NPCs. Agree the amount of pulses are the devil in the detail here.

I assume it pulses the healing out to allies, no matter player or non-player-characters alike. An at least the Alpine/EBG lords have guards nearby.