Forgotten Lore &/or Unused Threads

shinkamalei.2574

In the spirit of the new story coming out...

Recently, I was curious about the giant stone in Jenna's throne room. I did some googling and it seems it's never been confirmed but people theorize it's the keystone (going off old posts here). There are many unfinished story threads that may or may not have been forgotten or are simply open until the next expansion. What is one of your favorites or one of the things you think would make for an interesting new expansion?

The other thing I've always been curious about is what ever happened to Menzies since he's not confirmed dead.

• Like 8

What's up with lyssa? 

What's with the deep sea creature that awoke/got free when Soo-Won awoke? 

What's up with GW utopia? 

What's up with the Unchained Problem in Flooded Kaineng? 

What's the place Aurene flew to when she started to hibernate? Can't be just some random place. 

What's up with Menzies? 

What's up with Arachnia? 

That's just the once I quickly thought about. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2024 at 1:55 AM, shinkamalei.2574 said:

In the spirit of the new story coming out...

Recently, I was curious about the giant stone in Jenna's throne room. I did some googling and it seems it's never been confirmed but people theorize it's the keystone (going off old posts here). There are many unfinished story threads that may or may not have been forgotten or are simply open until the next expansion. What is one of your favorites or one of the things you think would make for an interesting new expansion?

The other thing I've always been curious about is what ever happened to Menzies since he's not confirmed dead.

The theory that it's the keystone never made sense. It looks nothing like a Bloodstone, and more closely resembles the Druid markings in GW1 Maguuma. Though I recall there being an old and now lost dev comment that it did have backstory that never got revealed...

As to the question... there's a lot of loose plothooks, some can be good background padding for an expansion, others can be the basis of a main expansion plot for sure.

Things include (grouping related stuff together) in no particular order:

1. Where's Malyck and his tree? What's the origin of the Dream and Nightmare? And why were they both so opposed to the Elder Dragons?
  2. Magdaer, the heir of Ascalon and the full cleansing of the Foefire plotlines, as well as the resurgent Separatists mentioned in IBS.
  3. What are the deep sea horrors that were originally the deep sea dragon before it got retconned into Soo-Won?
  4. The cut IBS centaur plotline devs said they want to "save for later".
  5. Kuda of the Inquest fulfilling her father's research is still out and about.
  6. What is Sunrise Crest and why does the Priory have a map with what appears to be trade routes between the Battle Isles and it?
  7. What's going on at Raisu Palace with the Purists and Risen? The plothook that was heavily hinted at as being next in EoD just to be completely forgotten.
  8. Whatever happened to the more ominous subplot of the Order of Shadows? Why did they kill that Order of Whispers agent? What is the hinted at dark secret of Kito? What role in Elona does Kossan have now?
  9. What happened to Menzies?
  10. What is Desmina's up to, she was left with a rather ominous ending in Hall of Chains.

Some more minor plothooks dropped, hinted at, or just unanswered:

1. Subject Alpha escaped Crucible of Eternity, what's it been up to for the past decade?
  2. The Royal Locket showing the next heir to the Krytan throne, whom the Order of Whispers hinted at knowing the identity of in human PS.
  3. Where is Aurene hibernating?
  4. What was the deal with Bahltek?
  5. Who is Ecclesiate Xun Rao?
  6. What happened to Razah?
  7. Where are the two remaining Bloodstones?
  8. What was the origin of the Eternal Flame the Flame Legion had that was capable of resurrection in a world where such magic is a lost art?
  9. What happened to the Golem's Eye, lost in Ascalon City?
  10. Why aren't there any more kryptis that look like Kanaxai after all the effort of the "reveal" that Kanaxai was a kryptis? The closest one would be Sorrow, which has this awkward Celestial + Orange Markings look; no half-gray, half-black with orange markings kryptis out there, nor any mention of House Aurkus.
  11. What happened to the Spirits of the Wild after IBS? Particularly the Lost Spirits?

Off the top of my head, at least.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

What is Sunrise Crest and why does the Priory have a map with what appears to be trade routes between the Battle Isles and it?

While I know he wont see this

Sunrise Crest is a body of water between the Wetlands, and Arid, landmasses. It is also not an area the priory has a map with trade routes leading to.

The trade routes go to the "Sunken Islands" and "Wetlands" landmasses as seen

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/b/be/Tyria_(world)_map_2.png

With translated version seen here

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/a/ac/Tyria_world_fan_map.jpg

Showing the map does not have trade routes going to the "Sunrise Crest" but instead the "Wetlands" landmass.

On 2/21/2024 at 4:24 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

What's up with Arachnia?

Arachnia technically isn't canon. The name only appears in the GW/dat file which has a bunch of stuff that never appears in-game, and has been cotradicted by in-game/later sources.

Edited by Sajuuk Khar.1509
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

While I know he wont see this

Sunrise Crest is a body of water between the Wetlands, and Arid, landmasses. It is also not an area the priory has a map with trade routes leading to.

The trade routes go to the "Sunken Islands" and "Wetlands" landmasses as seen

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/b/be/Tyria_(world)_map_2.png

With translated version seen here

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/a/ac/Tyria_world_fan_map.jpg

Showing the map does not have trade routes going to the "Sunrise Crest" but instead the "Wetlands" landmass.

Arachnia technically isn't canon. The name only appears in the GW/dat file which has a bunch of stuff that never appears in-game, and has been cotradicted by in-game/later sources.

There is also Arachnia dungeon in gw1. 

But I am still interested. Could be something to make Canon. 

• Like 1

Just why does Caudecus have such a large painting of Logan opposite his bed? And did Logan pose specifically for it?

Just what happened to Hero-Tron after his role in baiting the Death Branded Shatterer?

Is Blish still stuck in the belly of the beast?

Why is Freezie warmed by throwing snowballs at him instead of just throwing fireballs at him?

What happened to 'The Dragon Lab' now the Dragon's are dead? Did they just call it 'The Lab'?

What is the backstory to Uncle Beemish's magical sword and does Auntie Beemish have a magical hammer to match?

Will Prince Thorn make a comeback or has bitten off more candy than he can chew?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ask the real questions everyone is just too afraid to ask!

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2024 at 11:24 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

What's up with GW utopia?  

I wouldn't count Utopia as a loose or unused thread.
It was never released and so never part of the lore. It has been in development at one time, but got replaced by eye of the north and GW2. This doesn't mean that everything that was done is thrown away. Many elements of story, artwork, classes etc, have been used in EotN and GW2. So what's left are scraps and likely not worth the attention.

On a side note: Who or what is Razah?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mercury ranique.2170 said:

I wouldn't count Utopia as a loose or unused thread.
It was never released and so never part of the lore. It has been in development at one time, but got replaced by eye of the north and GW2. This doesn't mean that everything that was done is thrown away. Many elements of story, artwork, classes etc, have been used in EotN and GW2. So what's left are scraps and likely not worth the attention.

On a side note: Who or what is Razah?

True true. 

But still, could be made into an expack. 

Especially for the bettle mounts that were featured in the concept art. 

• Like 1

Omg.. so many things I want to look up now. :DDDD Thank you guys!

Also, I think Malyck and his journey would be really cool for a new expansion.
But most of all, I would be psyched to maybe have to fight Menzies and the shadow army. The only thing is would the shadow army look too similar to basic players? Since we can now look rather shadow like.

Side note - why would the human gods leave Balthazar behind knowing he could one day be released? I feel like that's a massive oversight on their part. Or were they that desperate to get away from the Dragon's Cycle?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, shinkamalei.2574 said:

Side note - why would the human gods leave Balthazar behind knowing he could one day be released? I feel like that's a massive oversight on their part. Or were they that desperate to get away from the Dragon's Cycle?

I highly doubt the gods expected a weapon made by them falling into the Mists, being chased after by a Charr who then makes a deal with Balth not knowing who he is, and using said god forged weapon to break the god forged chains keeping Balth imprisoned, for Balth to the seemingly steal Lyssa's mirror, use it to disguise himself as Lazarus, and then trick the white Mantel into following him, and using them to re-empower himself with bloodstone energy, and then steal a super weapon made by an Asura to further steal the energy of Primordus and Jormag to further power himself.

Balthazar escaping and becoming an issue was a crazy string of events that no one could've guessed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

I highly doubt the gods expected a weapon made by them falling into the Mists, being chased after by a Charr who then makes a deal with Balth not knowing who he is, and using said god forged weapon to break the god forged chains keeping Balth imprisoned, for Balth to the seemingly steal Lyssa's mirror, use it to disguise himself as Lazarus, and then trick the white Mantel into following him, and using them to re-empower himself with bloodstone energy, and then steal a super weapon made by an Asura to further steal the energy of Primordus and Jormag to further power himself.

Balthazar escaping and becoming an issue was a crazy string of events that no one could've guessed.

I wouldn't say expected but like... it existed. It was a possibility to happen eventually. And everything AFTER he got out was beyond the scope for sure. I don't mind the story line but it felt like they kind of just left and said, "well if ti happens, it happens. Not our mess anymore". Which makes me dislike them a bit xD Also as someone else mentioned, there is magdaer, which the pieces of were collected and intended be reforged even tho... nothing was ever found. 

Actually now that has me thinking. I wonder if a reforged Magdaer could fall into Menzies' hands. 

1 hour ago, shinkamalei.2574 said:

I wouldn't say expected but like... it existed. It was a possibility to happen eventually. And everything AFTER he got out was beyond the scope for sure. I don't mind the story line but it felt like they kind of just left and said, "well if ti happens, it happens. Not our mess anymore". Which makes me dislike them a bit xD Also as someone else mentioned, there is magdaer, which the pieces of were collected and intended be reforged even tho... nothing was ever found. 

Actually now that has me thinking. I wonder if a reforged Magdaer could fall into Menzies' hands. 

Honestly, I'd say the chances were so low it wasn't really a concern, as he was left just in the mists in general and not a god realm somebody from Tyria would likely visit and run into him.

7 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

Honestly, I'd say the chances were so low it wasn't really a concern, as he was left just in the mists in general and not a god realm somebody from Tyria would likely visit and run into him.

I agree. I think it's kind of like real prisons having walls that could be destroyed by a battleship or a plane dropping bombs - it's a vulnerability in their security, but it's so unlikely to happen it's not worth creating defenses to prevent it.

They may have wanted Bathazar imprisoned in a way that a gods power can break, so they could get him out if they ever wanted to, and assumed that since no one on Tyria knew he had been imprisoned and they weren't expecting to hear from him (or any of the gods) they'd have no reason to bring either of the swords into the Mists to free him. Rytlock finding his way there with Sohothin is the equivalet of a prison being accidentally hit by a missile aimed at another target, when someone who is willing to help the prisoners escape happens to be passing in a car to give them a lift.

Alternatively it may be that the gods cannot create magic so strong they can't break it, so imprisoning Bathlazar in a way that a god-forged weapon can break was unavoidable.

7 hours ago, shinkamalei.2574 said:

the plot is abaddon redux

abaddon had a disagreement with the other gods so he got overthrown

balthazar had a disagreement with the other gods so he got overthrown

abaddon got imprisoned in the heart of his domain

balthazar got imprisoned in what seems to be the heart of his domain

abaddon wanted to kill the six and become the one true god

balthazar wanted to kill the six and become the one true god

abaddon went on a campaign through elona that dealt with joko

balthazar went on a campaign through elona that dealt with joko

no matter how much these things clashed with balthazar's lore before pof

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

22 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I agree. I think it's kind of like real prisons having walls that could be destroyed by a battleship or a plane dropping bombs - it's a vulnerability in their security, but it's so unlikely to happen it's not worth creating defenses to prevent it.

They may have wanted Bathazar imprisoned in a way that a gods power can break, so they could get him out if they ever wanted to, and assumed that since no one on Tyria knew he had been imprisoned and they weren't expecting to hear from him (or any of the gods) they'd have no reason to bring either of the swords into the Mists to free him. Rytlock finding his way there with Sohothin is the equivalet of a prison being accidentally hit by a missile aimed at another target, when someone who is willing to help the prisoners escape happens to be passing in a car to give them a lift.

Alternatively it may be that the gods cannot create magic so strong they can't break it, so imprisoning Bathlazar in a way that a god-forged weapon can break was unavoidable.

Okay both of those are fair points and make a lot of sense 😄 ty

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2024 at 5:38 AM, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

The theory that it's the keystone never made sense. It looks nothing like a Bloodstone, and more closely resembles the Druid markings in GW1 Maguuma. Though I recall there being an old and now lost dev comment that it did have backstory that never got revealed...

As to the question... there's a lot of loose plothooks, some can be good background padding for an expansion, others can be the basis of a main expansion plot for sure.

Things include (grouping related stuff together) in no particular order:

1. What's going on at Raisu Palace with the Purists and Risen? The plothook that was heavily hinted at as being next in EoD just to be completely forgotten.

This part bothered me so much! Anywhere you turn in New Kaineng or Seitung Province there is somebody talking about Raisu Palace. I was totally expecting a Strike Mission to take place there. Got to the end of the campaign and nothing!

The map in GW1 for Raisu Palace was so big, with lots of verticality. I would think if the map was reported as is, it would already be a great start for the mission area. But now with the dragonvoid cleared up, I am not sure that there is much of a story with reasoning left for exploring the Risen/Unchained and what is driving them. Maybe Anet wants to make a GW3 just to get away from all of these plotholes they set up for us and then dropped!

• Confused 2