Black Lion Odds

7 hours ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

In my opinion, this isn't transparent enough. I hope EU pushes it so that actual loot results need to be listed somewhere.

I've played other games that has a feed that shows when someone gets any of the high rarity items. It doesn't show how many keys are used, but it is a step in the right direction.

There's been drop rate research on Black Lion Chests on the Wiki for years. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Chest/Drop_rate.There's also a summary on the main black lion chest page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Holmindeboks.3490 said:

I hope the EU push them to end this practise and that for eu all bl chest items would be purchaseable. Ridiculous that company’s stay healthy because of gamble addcitive ppl. Company’s should make real and good content instead of making money from gambling. 

People should be allowed to gamble, but they should also be shown the exact odds so that they are as informed as possible about the likelihood of any sort of favourable outcome.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

People should be allowed to gamble, but they should also be shown the exact odds so that they are as informed as possible about the likelihood of any sort of favourable outcome.

I'm not sure about all EU counties but I know a lot of them (and the UK) do allow gambling, so I think it's very unlikely they'd make loot boxes illegal. What could happen is they make it too much hassle for companies to bother with, for example adding age restrictions and requiring them to register as a gambling provider and pay extra taxes or report the income in more detail. It would still be legal to have loot boxes but a lot of companies may decide the time/cost required means it's not profitable enough.

54 minutes ago, Obfuscate.6430 said:

Is it really gambling still if you're guaranteed to get the item you want with black lion statuettes eventually? It's more of an investment now. 

That only applies to the 2 account bound items in the uncommon category and some of the common items. Most of the rest is tradable so you could buy it on the Trading Post, but buying keys won't help you do that. (In fact if you want anything tradable you're almost certainly better off never buying keys and instead putting the money you would use towards buying it directly).

• Like 2

there was a korean game recently which was forced to admit that their loot boxes have a 0% drop rate of the highest possible gear. and they constant lowered droprates secretly of many items.

it s good for the player that companies must show rates now.

ppl will still buy, so for gw2 its no big deal

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Chinese laws require game companies to list the odds ingame and on their official website. It's a step in the right direction to force companies to be transparent about loot boxes. The EU is also going down this rabbit hole. 

Gambling is an addiction, and in many places it has adverse effects on the general population. Not everyone can "gamble responsibly". In Australia there are people who pump their entire week's paychecks into poker machines before thinking about feeding their families. 

Edited by Pinkeh.4207
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Balsa.3951 said:

there was a korean game recently which was forced to admit that their loot boxes have a 0% drop rate of the highest possible gear. and they constant lowered droprates secretly of many items.

I hope their players all felt cheated and left.  To be told that all of that investment was applied to an actual impossibility should be sobering.  

I assume that the service contracts weren't always at 0.03%  Since I have opened two of them, in the past.  One at 0.03% I can believe, but two?  I am not that lucky and haven't opened nearly enough chests. I left for several years and came back, I have skipped several incarnations of the black lion chest because the chase item just didn't interest me. 

I know that a sample size of one is too small, but still.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

I assume that the service contracts weren't always at 0.03%  Since I have opened two of them, in the past.  One at 0.03% I can believe, but two?  I am not that lucky and haven't opened nearly enough chests. I left for several years and came back, I have skipped several incarnations of the black lion chest because the chase item just didn't interest me. 

I know that a sample size of one is too small, but still.

Getting two is a 0.0009%. that's around one in 100 000. And that's for two in a row. How many people do you think are playing this game? How many chests do they open? Having someone "luck out" like this is practically guaranteed. And considering how probability works, there's nothing to say that it can't happen to someone that opened only a few chests.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Pinkeh.4207 said:

Chinese laws require game companies to list the odds ingame and on their official website. It's a step in the right direction to force companies to be transparent about loot boxes. The EU is also going down this rabbit hole. 

Gambling is an addiction, and in many places it has adverse effects on the general population. Not everyone can "gamble responsibly". In Australia there are people who pump their entire week's paychecks into poker machines before thinking about feeding their families. 

Smoking is an addiction as well and has many adverse effects on the general population.  It's a drain on health care systems and resources and can literally kill people.

Let's ban smoking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Let's ban smoking.

Already in the pipeline in the UK. Smoking is banned in enclosed workplaces/public places and there's plans to steadily increase the minimum age to buy cigarettes so that the next generation will never be allowed to purchase.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, costepj.5120 said:

Already in the pipeline in the UK. Smoking is banned in enclosed workplaces/public places and there's plans to steadily increase the minimum age to buy cigarettes so that the next generation will never be allowed to purchase.

Steadily increasing the age won't ban it.  I'm talking about a flat-out ban on smoking, since it is so addictive.  I mean, if people are serious about this thread and banning BLC in a game, then let's take this to a more full conclusion.

• Confused 3

6 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Smoking is an addiction as well and has many adverse effects on the general population.  It's a drain on health care systems and resources and can literally kill people.

Let's ban smoking.

Where i live it's already heavily regulated, and further regulations will keep being added until it's pretty much completely gone.

5 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I mean, if people are serious about this thread and banning BLC in a game, then let's take this to a more full conclusion.

No, people are about it getting regulated, the same way normal gambling is. Sure, it would most likely end up with it disappearing from the game, but that's a sideeffect.

Back to smoking comparison - it's like no-smoking spaces that are now everywhere. I can't smoke at work, for example. I'd have to get outside to do so.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

21 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Where i live it's already heavily regulated, and further regulations will keep being added until it's pretty much completely gone.

No, people are about it getting regulated, the same way normal gambling is. Sure, it would most likely end up with it disappearing from the game, but that's a sideeffect.

Back to smoking comparison - it's like no-smoking spaces that are now everywhere. I can't smoke at work, for example. I'd have to get outside to do so.

Yes, some people are for regulating BLC; others are for flat out banning it.  My point was to the latter group.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Yes, some people are for regulating BLC; others are for flat out banning it.  My point was to the latter group.

Notice, that disallowing lockbox style mechanics in games is not the same as an outright ban. It's the same as not allowing smoking in certain spaces (like cinemas). Which is already a thing.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Let's ban smoking.

Absolutely. It should be banned straight away.

However, this doesn't work with products that are already integrated in the society for hundreds of years.
There are hundred thousands of jobs behing the tabacco industry, so it can't be banned from one day to the next without crashing the whole economy.
That's why contries banning it step by step by increasing the minimum age and banning it from more and more places.

Sweden is going to be the first smoke-free country in the world next year.
Finland is banning all kinds of tabacco consumption until 2030.

A step back to the actual topic, gambling in video games is pretty different. It's not integrated into society for such a long time. It only exist for like 20 years and are even hated by many players. It's far from being accepted by the general public (of players).

Also economy wise there is no huge industry around video game gambling. Most games use gambling to make extra money, others can switch to different monetization models without closing their whole company. In the end it's not the gaming industry that would get banned, it's only a way of monetization (a dirty, scamy way).

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Any form of gambling should immediately mean the game is 18+ rated. I'm not against straight out ban but on the other hand my general view on things is that an adult person can do whatever he wants as long as it doesn't impact other peoples' and their rights and also that his problems stay his and don't become society problems (which very often do). And because of the later I wouldn't mind banning smoking right away or just throw them out of the public health schemes or adjust their contributions to it accordingly.

I have plenty bad habits, most of us do, but I am completely fine to take the responsibility and consequences on my own shoulders (and wallet). But when it comes to children, there shouldn't be any blurred lines.

Gambling doesn't make games better, it can just make them worse (which I don't think is the case in gw2).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1