Thoughts about GW3 [Merged]

A new start of a new mmo is alwas the best period. Its an actual period of exploration of game world and systems. 

So yeah Im up for gw3.

Although I would prefer next gw instalment to be pvp only (not mmorpg). They are very good at making pvp systems but they never incorporated them in the game enviroment well. Pve systems are pretty mediocre though but are really well integrated in the whole game.

But if gw3 is a mmorpg and they disregard pvp systems like they do lately in gw2 I wont be playing it.

• Like 6
  • Confused 8

0 and it will never happen in any meaningful scope anyway. A new game is a new game, noone wants anyone to start a new game when some players get special treatment just because they played another game year ago.

• Like 8
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Draygo.9473 said:

I think people are a bit over their skiis, has there been any confirmation that the GW3 project is even a MMO?

When you put the question and Anets statement together, it feels like the answer might very well be no. Question is talking about the IP, Anet is talking about various title projects. Hrm. If you expand the IP into other genre's of games you wont cannibalize your main cash cow. 

People just really want GW2 to die/be removed. I'm noticing some people were following distinct narratives. Like the whole "If Anet says no, it's a lie, but yes is truth. For some reason"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

On 3/28/2024 at 3:28 PM, uberkingkong.8041 said:

It's not like GW1 was doing poorly and forced to switchover.

I remember region districts being more and more deserted and the left players either hoped there are ppl in their region or they switched to the international district, which always had ppl... but international.

That's when I started to lose interest in GW1 and switched to Aion.
Like I started to lose interest in PvE because of the international mega servers and deleting all the region servers. I mainly play wvw now which still has my region. But with the world restructuring that may change too and I'd lose interest in GW2. A GW3 may be good then.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I do not recommend using any search engine for that topic at the moment. There seems to be one source of information (?) with different translations and interpretations.

The existence of GW3 would explain a few things. But it does not excuse everything. My guess is, if it is almost finished: they stared mid LW4 with the development.

Looking forward to real information about this topic, preferably from ANet directly who is mocking whom? XD They would never do it that way! From one of their usual publishing platforms (3rd party gaming magazines) with an exclusive interview.

• Like 2

IF they make GW3 and IF they introduce something similar to the Hall of Monuments, it should be just like it was from GW1 to GW2: purely cosmetic in nature and NOTHING that gives veteran players an unfair advantage over anyone starting fresh. IF they did implement something like that, then instead of Hall of Monuments, it should be called Refractions of Aurene.

Edited by Zera.9435
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

I don't think any legendaries should transfer (not as an endgame item at least), as been suggested by some in the other thread.

It's a new game, so I think everyone should start fresh

However, there could be some exclusives that you could earn, if you met a set of requirements in Guild Wars 2

It could be something like an exclusive variant for legendary weapons

Maybe the requirement would be, if you own a legendary sword in GW2, you unlock a special variant for legendary sword in GW3

Just an idea

If GW2 will still be online when/if GW3 comes, then it would also be an incentive for new GW3 people to gem>gold legendaries in GW2 (just to show there would be a motivation for arena net to implement something like this. I'm sure they also sold lots of GW1 copies to new GW2 players)

Titles is ofc an easy thing to reward for Guild Wars 2 achievements

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

New game, new grind, lvling and all that, if they would transfer your stuff, what would be even the reason for new game? All that can happen is just some titles and skins from GW2, just like we had from GW1.

Transfering something like legendaries does not make sense either, they want people to play their new game, not to have half of the things done already. Also if it would have legendaries, they would be new, with different way to get or craft. If you want the same, then even the crafting would have to be exactly the same. Because if not, then people could easily craft them in GW2 even after GW3 release and still get it in GW3....it is not how games should work. 

One of the reasons why making new MMO in the same world is just bad idea after 12 years imo. Many players does not want to start from zero again, after spending 12 years in one game.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

I don't really want anything to transfer. Something like HoM is acceptable though. It gives incentive to play GW2 (potentially also GW1, if they add some minor stuff), which is good for money flow.

I also never really grinded for anything in this game (well 2 days in silverwastes before HoT for my first legendary) and only thing i'm kinda proud of was winning GvG tournament which is community driven, so i don't need any titles to be transfered.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cassian.6540 said:

To the people who want to leave everything behind and have no problem starting from scratch in a new a potential new GW game: you are delusional or you have kiten off money to simply buy everything you need through microtransactions. No sane human would want to grind through so much content ever again. Either transfer EVERYTHING I have or might as well just delete my characters, not going to play it.

Also, I hope the guy that talked about GW 3 in that meeting gets to give some explanation to higher ups. It's clear that the overall player vibes are negative in this thread. I seriously wonder if I should even bother going for a legendary now. And no, I don't care if it would take 3 years or 5 years until a new game is released, it's still overall demoralizing to know GW 2 is on the chopping block.

But why do you grind? Don't you have fun while playing this game?

• Confused 4

2 minutes ago, SloRules.3560 said:

But why do you grind? Don't you have fun while playing this game?

There are many things in this game that we did grind for without having fun doing it just so that we can enjoy the payout for years to come.

Did anyone enjoy grinding out the skyscale? All of those searches in Dragonfall made me hate the map so much.

• Like 8
  • Confused 3

21 minutes ago, jokke.6239 said:

If GW2 will still be online when/if GW3 comes

I'm going to need you to not spout this sort of doomsayer nonsense. This is the kitten right here that gives people the false impression that they need to 'abandon ship'. Of course GW2 will still be online for many years even if there is another sequel. GW1 is still online and there ARE people playing it. I myself am finishing up GWAMM, only one title left to go. Even at a casual pace, it will get done.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Balsa.3951 said:

first of this treat is not about gw3 will or will not happen. there is already a discussion on that. so go there if u want ur voice be heard.

what im curious is how much of ur gw2 progress u feel should be carried over to the new game.

or if anything at all.

thank u.

There is already a proven and successful solution, Hall of Monuments.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I don't mind it. The existence of gw3 won't make the grinds harder or easier in gw2. And if everything get to transferred over then what's the point of making a new game? I want to start anew

Edited by sanguigasm.1325
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Difficult to give a proper answer without knowing what kind of game GW3 would be, if the fundamental systems are similar in design philosophy or completely different.
For now, let's assume GW3 is a casual MMORPG with horizontal progression and focusing on long-term collections like GW2.

Transfer the following:

- everything we paid for in Gem Store (this is the most obvious, whether it was real money or gold conversion)
- black lion statuette items and anything related
- the same mounts (skyscale etc) should exist in the new game, with possibly adding new ones, and their skins carry over (they don't have to be copy-paste, but recognizable, like branded skyscale)
- gliders, novelties, minis, finishers
- character transfer with name reservations, retaining their looks, like race, facial details etc
- legendary skins (otherwise there is zero point working on them anymore in GW2)
- unlocked tabs of bank, equipment, build, inventory
- hall of monuments achievements (like exploration of GW2 and completing all storylines, etc)

Consider / Needs debate:

- Legendary gear: difficult to tell without context. If the game has horizontal progression and gear is equalized, then it wouldn't give much advantage for veteran players
- Gold: carrying over our gold would give advantage for veterans, however, it if doesn't transfer, it would feel like our progress have been devalued (for instance, I bought gold from the store with real money numerous times, and if nothing carries over, I won't be spending a penny on GW2 anymore)

Don't transfer / Not possible:

- storyline progression (since it would have a different story, it's obvious)
- world exploration (although I'm not excited to explore the entire world of a new game at all, I can already do that in other games, and I find it boring - "Been there, done that")
- currencies (most probably the game would have new currencies so it doesn't make sense)

My general take on GW3:

In my opinion if these won't carry over, I see zero reason or benefit creating Guild Wars 3 and force us into an "another game". It would just devalue our progress made in GW2 and dividing the playerbase.
I don't see why it is more financially beneficial than releasing a new expansion each year.
Besides, it's 2024 now, and knowing Anet's speed, we won't see GW3 before 2030.

Popularity of the MMORPG's is not only in a noticeably decline, but there is also an abundance of MMORPG's on the market, and none of them lasts very long, except e.g. WoW, ESO, FFXIV. There is no need to have 20 more MMO's that die in their first years.

Not being able to carry over most stuff we've achieved here would just alienate the veteran playerbase, while the younger playerbase are much more likely looking for loose games with instant rewards, like Fortnite, where they can just hop in and play for an hour.
I highly doubt GW3 could be made for a wider audience these days, the main target auidence is definitely the veteran GW2 playerbase.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

The launch of GW2 was the most exciting time in MMORPG history. For those who forgot - in a landscape of WoWclones, GW2 revolutionized the space.

I remember first hearing about it back in 2009, 2 years after its announced date and 3 years before releasing. Got the collectors edition and had the experience of a lifetime.

It's likely we've seen a shift from infinite gw2 focus to a gw3 due to AI. the next gen of games built off the back of AI will be revolutionary. And ANET has always been on the forefront of MMORPG tech - so this is an organic shift.

With that being said, the majority of the team will likely still be with GW2 for years as the blueprint for GW3 is written. I'd go as far to say they're still in an experimental phase, testing radical ideas and possibilities which AI might facilitate in the future - but no time soon. But ANET recognizes the need to be ready, and so the greenlight likely ONLY implies that it's heaviest hitting devs (who aren't really challenged by GW2/are out of work there) are finally given the opportunity to stretch their intellect in a theoretical space of development.

All while the areas of the team truly responsible for the past few years content releases in GW2 stays in place till at least 2030.

Make no mistake, newer MMORPGS, even with potentially boosted AI production, will take many many years to develop if they are to truly threaten the landscape of the highly developed genre. 

Think new world pace. I'd imagine a release date sometime between 2035 and 2040. By then ill be over the hill hehe

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Zera.9435 said:

I'm going to need you to not spout this sort of doomsayer nonsense. This is the kitten right here that gives people the false impression that they need to 'abandon ship'. Of course GW2 will still be online for many years even if there is another sequel. GW1 is still online and there ARE people playing it. I myself am finishing up GWAMM, only one title left to go. Even at a casual pace, it will get done.

How on earth was that "doomsayer nonsense"?

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

Anet potentially cooking up GW3 does not mean GW2 cannot run in parallel. It could be a whole other genre for all we know. But reading through the first 4~5 pages of this thread, even if GW2 does have to shut down, there's no way some people seriously think GW2 has to go on forever until the day they die, right? Because if so, you really ought to take a good look at what you deem important in life. Like yeah sure it would suck and you might feel all the effort you put in will be lost, but isn't that essentially what happens in literally any RPG? Even if we set aside video games and MMOs, I'd go as far as to say that any time you spend in entertainment is, put simply, time lost and wasted.

I've got around 5k hours in GW2, currently working on my first set of Obsidian Armor, I've already gotten a bunch of other legendaries, I'm just cruising and having fun and taking my time with the game. The prospect of getting GW3 still sounds very exciting to me, no matter which form the game might take, and if it's good and has long term goals then I'll play it over GW2, simple as that.

I've also spent upwards of 12k hours in FFXIV - my main game, and if Square Enix ever announces a sequel to it, you can bet I'll be excited about it and stick with it if it's good, even if it means leaving behind my character and all the progress I've made on it.

At the end of the day it's no big deal, a game's just a game you have fun with, and if anything if you've spent thousands of hours into it then you should probably consider it a good run and move on with no regrets when the time comes.

Edited by PyaKura.4895
typos
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Invoker.5462 said:

The launch of GW2 was the most exciting time in MMORPG history. For those who forgot - in a landscape of WoWclones, GW2 revolutionized the space.

I remember first hearing about it back in 2009, 2 years after its announced date and 3 years before releasing. Got the collectors edition and had the experience of a lifetime.

It's likely we've seen a shift from infinite gw2 focus to a gw3 due to AI. the next gen of games built off the back of AI will be revolutionary. And ANET has always been on the forefront of MMORPG tech - so this is an organic shift.

With that being said, the majority of the team will likely still be with GW2 for years as the blueprint for GW3 is written. I'd go as far to say they're still in an experimental phase, testing radical ideas and possibilities which AI might facilitate in the future - but no time soon. But ANET recognizes the need to be ready, and so the greenlight likely ONLY implies that it's heaviest hitting devs (who aren't really challenged by GW2/are out of work there) are finally given the opportunity to stretch their intellect in a theoretical space of development.

All while the areas of the team truly responsible for the past few years content releases in GW2 stays in place till at least 2030.

Make no mistake, newer MMORPGS, even with potentially boosted AI production, will take many many years to develop if they are to truly threaten the landscape of the highly developed genre. 

Think new world pace. I'd imagine a release date sometime between 2035 and 2040. By then ill be over the hill hehe

Anet gave a very clear and reasonable explanation for why they made a GW2. They wanted to add a bunch of features that the game engine was not able to handle. Specifically, they wanted to have events and quests that reacted to player input and participation. And the game engine for GW1, especially with the instanced nature of the game made it not possible.

But what is the reasoning for moving on from GW2 to GW3? People are talking about how cool it would be to transfer the game UE5 for the visuals. But that's not a good enough reason to kill off a successful MMO. Look at the division that same decision made in RuneScape. It unnecessarily divided the community, to the point that Jagex ended up re-introducing OSRS, which is currently more popular than RS3.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1