Odd that gw2 hasnt added new races.

1 hour ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I do wonder how many people play just a single character and would attribute no value at all to a new race.

99.99% of game time on main here as its more immersive for me.  I have no interest in alts apart from fast levelling all to 80 to pick up a couple achievement points.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I want Kodans, Largos and Tengus.

They're already out there as intelligent, weapon-wielding, armor-wielding races, the stress on making armors fit would be minimal. And wouldn't mess up with the immersion either. Just add a small map as beginner area.

The Krait and Quaggans though, that would be a problem in terms of armor.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 4/30/2024 at 10:02 AM, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

At this stage, the best I think those wanting new races can hope for is more combat tonics, or head gear (like the recent dragon one).

i miss GW1 with each brithday adding everlasting combat tonics of so many different creatures, i had one character who i permanently played as a saltspray dragon!

they don't even need to add animations for all skills and movements, i'd still be happy! most mobs people would want to play as already have melee animations and casting animations.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Anyandrell.6238 said:

I want Kodans, Largos and Tengus.

They're already out there as intelligent, weapon-wielding, armor-wielding races, the stress on making armors fit would be minimal. And wouldn't mess up with the immersion either. Just add a small map as beginner area.

The Krait and Quaggans though, that would be a problem in terms of armor.

When talking about quaggans how did you forget about the  other lesser races namely hylek, ogre, grawl and skritt?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

they can introduce a new race in the future expansion, but the actual starting area,... for that race will be in gw3.

or they should just add new races as buyable content for players who want them. in other words anet should find a way how to monetize from this, like the other companies can.

btw this topic is about why they didn't add new races yet and not about why they shouldn't do it. just to clear all the confusion here...

• Confused 10

4 hours ago, Chaos God.1639 said:

btw this topic is about why they didn't add new races yet and not about why they shouldn't do it. just to clear all the confusion here...

They didn't add new races yet becuase the effort outweighs any minor benefit. That's also the reason why they likely won't add them in future.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, costepj.5120 said:

They didn't add new races yet becuase the effort outweighs any minor benefit. That's also the reason why they likely won't add them in future.

so they still haven't found a solution to their problems? i'm not even sure why you are replying to this topic, since it's not solving anything. didn't I say that this topic isn't about why they shouldn't add new races?

Edited by Chaos God.1639
edit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7

1 hour ago, Chaos God.1639 said:

so they still haven't found a solution to their problems? i'm not even sure why you are replying to this topic, since it's not solving anything. didn't I say that this topic isn't about why they shouldn't add new races?

Not your topic, is it?

Topic title:  "Odd that gw2 hasn't added new races" leaves a lot of room for discussion on this point. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Chaos God.1639 said:

The reason for "why they didn't add new races" can be the same as the reasons for "why they shouldn't do it". It's possible that you're the only person here who's somehow "confused" about that.
Here's the example:
I think they shouldn't add a new playable race because it has low gameplay value for potentially unreasonably high workload.
They still didn't add a new race because...... it has low gameplay value for potentially unreasonably high workload.

Your "clarification" doesn't change absolutely anything about the responses in this thread.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chaos God.1639 said:

That makes no sense ... the 'WHY ' new races aren't added is the SAME discussion as why they shouldn't do it. So there isn't some they haven't found a solution to their problems point of view here because it's not a problem new races aren't added to begin with. 

Topic is about how it's 'odd' they haven't done it ... except it's not odd if it's understand how this game works as a business. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

so they still haven't found a solution to their problems?

There is no "solution to their problem", there is no problem to begin with.
Adding a new race would simply bee too much work for too less benefits, that's it. Simple facts.

7 hours ago, Chaos God.1639 said:

Which is funny, because I remember you hardly arguing why they should add a new race.

However, OP never made this distinction. They even asked for opinions about whether we get new races any time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Chaos God.1639 said:

they can introduce a new race in the future expansion, but the actual starting area,... for that race will be in gw3.

And how exactly is that going to work?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Chaos God.1639 said:

looks like some still don't understand the point of the topic... but i'm not surprised since anet themselves still haven't found a solution to this problem. maybe they don't care, I don't know.

You still seem to not understand that you wanting something doesn't mean it's a problem someone looks to solve. The value is low, there are better additions for the game, no new playable races isn't a problem so there's nothing to "solve".

And no, what you're claiming in your last few posts is not "the point of this topic", so you are the one who's misunderstanding or intentionally misrepresenting it. If you actually have any doubts about it, go read the first post.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Chaos God.1639 said:

looks like some still don't understand the point of the topic... but i'm not surprised since anet themselves still haven't found a solution to this problem. maybe they don't care, I don't know.

There is no problem here. You are making up a non-existent problem. What exactly is the 'problem' with not adding a new playable race? What tangible and significant benefit to game play is there in adding another playable race? How is the game unplayable (an actual problem) without the addition of another race?

It would be cool if there was another playable race, sure, but it is also something that should have been added very early on in the game, rather than this late. The game is fine as it is with the 5 playable races. The reason (read: why) they don't add them this late is because it would require significant time/resource investment (read: character model creation/mapping, creation of all the current hundreds of armor/outfit skins for a different character model) for something that doesn't really improve the actual game play. The majority of us would rather that ArenaNet spent its time/resources on improving what we already have (and believe me, there is plenty of room for improvement in our already good game).

IF (notice the big if) they were to implement a new playable race, it would most likely reuse the base human character model (as Sylvari and Norn basically are), which rules out Skritt, filthy quaggans, Kodans, Largos, and Tengu (the most requested races). Either way, it would have to use currently existing player character models.

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

Some being you? Again ... just because something you want isn't in the game doesn't mean it's a problem Anet has to solve to put it in. 

It probably has NOTHING to do with if they care. What it LIKELY has LOTS to do with is the fact that GW2 is part of a business, not a charity to give everyone that want's something whatever they ask for. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Or maybe it's not a problem. YOU think it's a problem. Some other people may think it's a problem. I don't think it's a problem.  Anet doesn't likely think it's a problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's not a problem.  Despite the efforts you're going through to make it one.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

btw I suggest some create a new topic for this discussion with a title "why they should/shouldn't add new races". there they can waste their time on this controversial/subjective discussion. i don't know why some people come here and are confused that others disagree with them.

17 hours ago, Zera.9435 said:

It would be cool if there was another playable race, sure, but it is also something that should have been added very early on in the game, rather than this late. The game is fine as it is with the 5 playable races. The reason (read: why) they don't add them this late is because it would require significant time/resource investment (read: character model creation/mapping, creation of all the current hundreds of armor/outfit skins for a different character model) for something that doesn't really improve the actual game play. The majority of us would rather that ArenaNet spent its time/resources on improving what we already have (and believe me, there is plenty of room for improvement in our already good game).

yea, I think it's a bad design choice. that's why they should find solutions to such issues asap, because players do find that it will bring more value to the game. I also mentioned in my other post that many of pve content is useless for pvp/wvw players and has literally 0 value.

it would be also very odd if gw3 won't have any new playable races.

also how relevant is the Anet reaction? I wasn't even able to find their answer to such demanding feature to a fantasy game. Maybe they should give an update on new playable races, because they are planning more expansions and ncsoft was even talking about gw3.

and armor/skins are already dynamic in gw2 and will be resized to your character. making something smaller than asura won't explode the game...

Edited by Chaos God.1639
edit
  • Confused 7

also how relevant is the Anet reaction? I wasn't even able to find their answer to such demanding feature to a fantasy game. Maybe they should give an update on new playable races, because they are planning more expansions and ncsoft was even talking about gw3.

Why would they talk about features they're not planning to implement? If they ever will, they'll announce it. There have been hundreds of requests for new features made over the years. They go unanswered until ANet has something to say about them. This 'new race' is just one of them. Nothing more urgent or important than any other request, and not worthy of more of a response.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1