Odd that gw2 hasnt added new races.

On 4/30/2024 at 3:47 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Imagine the poor soul that has to retroactively make all armor/outfits skins fit a new race model. 

And if old story content is playable, recording a bajillion voice lines in multiple languages. 

Also the extra work that needs to be done for everything in the future. Skins, animation, voice lines etc. 

Add the fact that if Anet gives us one extra race, they set a new standard and people won't shut up about wanting more. 

Anyway, tengu when? 

It's a analogous issue to why we won't simply get a new elite profession per weapons now anymore, it seems there is a lot more work to balancing entire trait lines than there is to simply adding new weapons without a elite spec attached to them. As such it could be possible that Anet takes a similar approach to new races, by simply creating the character models and race specific elite skills, and not giving them any story aspects at all. Maybe they could or could not at least voice the base game dungeons so its not completely devoid of a scripted voice performance, but if not just have voice acting for  standard gameplay and combat dialogues and call it a day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, TwistedAlga.4235 said:

We want birb race!!

I'd only maybe see it happening if they actually made content based on tengu lore.. but I assume they would use charr models for the armors, being chunky on the chest and shoulders and forgettable down the waist. But even if they gave us bird.. someone would still not be happy with the options and want some other kind of race XD

43 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

If it was profitable and actually feasible, we would have gotten a new race by now. 

That is why no other MMO is adding new races to spice things up and bring in new players. Oh wait, it's only GW2 that doesn't do that.. 🤣

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Frozey.8513 said:

That is why no other MMO is adding new races to spice things up and bring in new players. Oh wait, it's only GW2 that doesn't do that.. 🤣

So, you know that Anet can do this and it would be financially profitable for them and their shareholders?  Please cite your sources.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Izzy.2951 said:

Arenanet hasnt done anything of value or big with GW2 since HoT/PoF. IBS/EoD added a few cool new things, but they were minor things and SoTo is full recycled and nothing new.

A new race will add new movement and animations, so the gameplay would feel totally different, would add an entire new Lore and would make ppl play lots of hours and feel they are still doing something with GW2 not just GW:Beyond and grab money till GW3 comes out.

Listing me the benefits of a new race doesn't change what I said.

It would make people play lots of hours? Cool ... lots of other MORE valuable content does that as well. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Randin.5701 said:

I mean, the term 'Fashion Wars' exists for a reason. Collecting aesthetics is what a very large chunk of what this game is about. Adding a new race would play into that.

And a new race doesn't have anything to do with collecting aesthetics ... we can do that now with 4 races ... we could do that if there was only ONE race as a matter of fact. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just based on some of the suggestions, I can see it now:

Anet adds Tengu but cuts out the core story, provides limited to no voice acting, or doesn't add armor sets available to other classes - Community outcry for Anet half-assing the release of a new race. Big success.

The new race ship has sailed - they should've done it long ago if they were going to do it. If your argument boils down to "I would like it" while clearly showing you don't understand how much work would go into a new race for the small amount of return they would get, then you aren't going to convince anyone here. Fashion is one of the main reasons I play this game, and I still can't see them justifying adding a new race at this point. Maybe in GW3.

I would personally rather see a new class/skills/traitlines/flexible combat mechanic of some sort that actually add something gameplay wise to characters.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

And a new race doesn't have anything to do with collecting aesthetics ... we can do that now with 4 races ... we could do that if there was only ONE race as a matter of fact. 

Because races are aesthetics.

• Confused 3

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Randin.5701 said:

Because races are aesthetics.

OK, that doesn't change what I've said. Just spouting facts is not an argument for new races. I didn't say they weren't aesthetics. I said they don't have anything to do with COLLECTING. 

New races are a low value proposition to both players and Anet. Period. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

What race are you not counting,?

human

asura

norn

charr

sylvari

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

What race are you not counting,?

human

asura

norn

charr

sylvari

Well, as far as different looks go, I consider Norn just bigger humans but yeah, pedantic .. there are 5 races. But as far as the point I'm making is concerned ... the number of classes isn't actually relevant though it does beg to question:

Why we need yet ANOTHER class for people to 'war' over fashion? Because 5 isn't enough?

OK, so when is there 'enough' races to have 'sufficient' fashion wars? What is the limit where people stop the madness of asking for more races? It's a never-ending argument ... because Anet can ALWAYS add another class to 'improve' fashion wars ... so that's a completely trivial reason to add another class. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Confused 1

A new race would likely, in my opinion, be not much more than a skin in terms of effect on the game but would require significantly more work to implement. So, if a set of armor skins costs $15(?) would people be willing to pay $150 for a new race skin?

• Like 2

On 5/1/2024 at 6:10 AM, Knighthonor.4061 said:

New World had a major spike in players when they added greatswords and Maces, (which are kinda like their version of classes)l, So why wouldnt GW2's fan base have that same reaction to a New Class

I'd like to see if they get that reaction when they're 11 years old.

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 8:07 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Luckly. Dwarfs are just down scaled Norn. 

So armor skins and animations are not an issue. 

Making them an actual contender to be added. 

Strange.  People said something similar about Tengu and Charr and yet, here we are, almost 12 years later  with no Bird people playable.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I'd like to see if they get that reaction when they're 11 years old.

If Todd Howard has taught me anything, you can generate hype over a 12 year old game. Hell, you can even turn a 7 year old game into one of the top 10 selling games of 2024 (in a number of countries) with a prime tv show.

In grounded reality, even GW2 will receive player spikes when expansions are released (when we expect new classes/especs/weapons to fulfil new class fantasies). 

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Westenev.5289 said:

If Todd Howard has taught me anything, you can generate hype over a 12 year old game. Hell, you can even turn a 7 year old game into one of the top 10 selling games of 2024 (in a number of countries) with a prime tv show.

In grounded reality, even GW2 will receive player spikes when expansions are released (when we expect new classes/especs/weapons to fulfil new class fantasies). 

I'd bet that new races wouldn't sell many more expansions, because most people who wanted to try the game would have tried it already. A new race won't get them in. At most it'll get some people to come back, but I don't think most people leave because they're run out of races. They  leave for other reasons a new race wouldn't solve. So yeah, I don't think it's the solution or even a solution to selling more expacs.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Actually I think it could be commercially viable to add new playable races.

Maybe some approach similar to this could work out (this will fix the voice acting issue):

There would be a new expansion. The new expansion would introduce some new races, having these characteristics:

• One or more requests met for current players, Tengu and Dwarf perhaps
  • One or more of something that might be popular or feel familiar for new players (vampires maybe, or elves or some other fae folk, or dare i mention pandas) 
  • One or more of something that's just unexpected and GW-ish 

The expansion would have new starting zones, no need to rework old quests or figure out how to shoehorn new beginner maps onto existing terrian. The new zones would have these characteristics:

• like before, you get a free waypoint to every starting zone, old and new, so you can level in any zone you like/ get to the world bosses/ explore other capitol cities
  • The new ones have one or more new paths to merge with the story so it will make sense on the level 80 maps (or from wherever the stories merge with existing)
  • They new maps will work more like in some of the living world maps where there are just a few hearts that integrate into the main story (for story reasons you should go here, talk to this person and help them out... your story gains credit from doing the hearts, and there are not so many hearts that it's overwhelming for map completion--however the hearts wouldn't be repeatable: once you finished it you could always buy things, and the items for sale would be more like in existing 1-80 zones only a little consolidated since fewer hearts)
  • speaking of map completion, you can get a Gift of Exploration for doing the new zones (or new level 1-50 zones and existing 60-80 zones or whatever, however works out). Also there's story change up for people who like to repeat the leveling (for gift of exploration or for Black Lion keys or because it's more placid, or whatever). So, new story for the level 60-80 section would be super helpful.  
  • There are new instanced play options (e.g. new strikes, new dungeons, something) and these options scale, maybe like from 1-10 players. They also have a level 80 version in addition to any leveling version(s). 
  • There are level 80 vendors and items, and new ascended or legendary gear/skins. Perhaps this would be a good place to put the ascended jewelry crafting that's been mentioned as a possibility. 
  • Maybe there is a new version of gear that levels with you (like the bloodbound weapons)

Starting with this expansion, character creation would ask you when creating an original race, whether you want to be placed in the old zone or the new zone, for starter story. (Supposing you have this new expansion.)

It may be possible to solve the armor issue by training an AI to adjust existing armors to the new races. AI would also fix clipping issues. Naturally, humans would do the actual designing. Of course, they'll add new armor skins as well. 

There would be a nonbinary gender addition. No trying to shoehorn everyone into one or two genders. However it's fine by me to use just nonspecific pronouns for everyone, as long as they can customize their appearance. But I might be in a subgroup here, hard to tell. 

Edited by willow.8209
  • Confused 9

I'd rather see many more customisation options for the existing races. More body builds, new faces, hairstyles, horns for charr, etc. The charr in particular could really use some new faces that don't look like crap. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lol, with some copy and paste  they can do a lot:

Take a Sylvari, make it a little shorter, give it a long nose, a green skin and extra expertise in Thieving, and there... You have a Goblin!

And than let ai write a storyline, peace of cake. 😄

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

I'd bet that new races wouldn't sell many more expansions, because most people who wanted to try the game would have tried it already. A new race won't get them in. At most it'll get some people to come back, but I don't think most people leave because they're run out of races. They  leave for other reasons a new race wouldn't solve. So yeah, I don't think it's the solution or even a solution to selling more expacs.

Depends on how you look at it. If Tengu were just reskinned Charr or Dwarves were mini Norn, I think the whole idea is doomed to failure. But, people said the same about Mounts pre-PoF, and they turned out to be my favorite implementation of mounts in a MMO (barring the griffin in WoW, I love being able to just point in a direction and fly across the different biomes on the map, but that's a bit off topic). I'm open to the idea that Tengu could bring something new to this game, even if I'm not entirely convinced that people who advocate for new races know what they want.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, Westenev.5289 said:

Depends on how you look at it. If Tengu were just reskinned Charr or Dwarves were mini Norn, I think the whole idea is doomed to failure. But, people said the same about Mounts pre-PoF, and they turned out to be my favorite implementation of mounts in a MMO (barring the griffin in WoW, I love being able to just point in a direction and fly across the different biomes on the map, but that's a bit off topic). I'm open to the idea that Tengu could bring something new to this game, even if I'm not entirely convinced that people who advocate for new races know what they want.

Mounts came out when the game was 5 years old, not 12 years old, in the second expansion. Aside from that, if you think a single race is going to impact the game as much as mounts, I don't know what to tell you, and I don't care how well done it is.  Because there were no mounts, and then there were five mounts. That's a complete change, a basic change to the way the game is played. Adding a single race when there are already five races would be a tiny drop in the bucket. The amount of work it would take to implement that race would replace anything else that could have been done. My guess is it might be more like fishing than mounts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Manasa Devi.7958 said:

I do wonder how many people play just a single character and would attribute no value at all to a new race.

I typically play my main for just about everything.  I'll swap to another character if my friends are doing something specific and I need to fill a particular role. 

For me, at least, a new race might not hold much appeal.  I've tried sylvari, asura and charr and just can't enjoy them.  Not sure tengu or something else would interest me at this point.

/shrug

• Like 2