Odd that gw2 hasnt added new races.

On 4/30/2024 at 3:48 PM, Inssengrimm.7924 said:

People asking for new races always amazes me.
Not only we got arguably the best beast and elf races in any MMORPG. And we also have Rat Abortions.

There are sadly no Elves in GW2 at all, best alternative at the moment you can do is equip Elf ears on Human or Norn.

Overall I think they did Human and Norns pretty well, but other races leave a lot to be desired:
- Charr's tail swing animation is literally that of cows irl, same with their ears flopping. Very difficult to see them as anything other than furry cows cause of this.
- Monster vegans are mediocre, but there are very little wooden equipment for them to use, making them look like aliens who migrated into a human society.
- Asura is by far the worst of the pack, literally made by someone who watched Harry Potter and thought house elves should be their own race. They are small, ugly, arrogant and should honestly just be removed from the game all together.

• Confused 12

5 minutes ago, TwistedAlga.4235 said:

We want birb race!!

I would be very happy if we got Dwarves, but I suppose Tengu would be nice and fresh take on beast race compared to furry cows.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

13 minutes ago, TwistedAlga.4235 said:

I am still having a hard time thinking why they haven't released Tengu.

Because its clearly not as straight forward as everyone who are vastly oversimplifying the problem are making out. Its not as easy as "simply", "basically", or "just do half of x/y/z" of something. Even if they could it would mean not doing something else which could have better returns. I'd bet money that Anet has done an RoI assessment on this and, since we haven't seen it yet, its clearly not worth doing right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I don’t see the point in adding a new race. I have all the characters I want and I don’t really want to create another character. So they have to provide race change as well, otherwise a new race wouldn’t make sense. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

44 minutes ago, Frozey.8513 said:

There are sadly no Elves in GW2 at all, best alternative at the moment you can do is equip Elf ears on Human or Norn.

Overall I think they did Human and Norns pretty well, but other races leave a lot to be desired:
- Charr's tail swing animation is literally that of cows irl, same with their ears flopping. Very difficult to see them as anything other than furry cows cause of this.
- Monster vegans are mediocre, but there are very little wooden equipment for them to use, making them look like aliens who migrated into a human society.
- Asura is by far the worst of the pack, literally made by someone who watched Harry Potter and thought house elves should be their own race. They are small, ugly, arrogant and should honestly just be removed from the game all together.

Sylvari are not vegans.

Why would they want to use wooden equipment? Making weapons, other than handles, spear/arrow shafts, etc out of wood would be intentionally weakening oneself.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Narratively, it's a mess because of the way Anet tied the story to the game. Dwarves are supposed to be quasi-extinct, and the tengu have been isolated for a longggggg time. Having a tengu Commander wouldn't (narratively) make sense. Since SoTO is moving away from the Commander, I do wonder if Anet will be able to (narratively) add tengu as a playable race that has their story start post SoTO, but I kind of doubt it, so long as Kas/Jory/Braham/Taimi/etc still exist and interact with the main storyline. :(

I want birb race, too. ;-; Or at least a good tengu combat tonic, so I can look like the snow fairy tengu. :(

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

Sylvari are not vegans.

Why would they want to use wooden equipment? Making weapons, other than handles, spear/arrow shafts, etc out of wood would be intentionally weakening oneself.

Why would they want to use plants for their bodies? Touche.

All the Vegan technology we have gotten in GW2 so far is purely plant-based, and if they had any desire to make things out of other materials they surely would have already done it. 

• Confused 11

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Chaos God.1639 said:

value is subjective. so this is a controversial topic.

Yet you still haven't given any example for what value (for whoever) a new race would have. 😉

it's still doesn't change the fact that players in all different type of video games want to have new races/factions and are ready to pay money for that.

1.) The vast majority of video games don't have any race selection.

2.) Players from other games or even genres don't matter at all. GW2's players/target group are the only ones who matter. If you try to please people that are not even interested to play your game, your game won't be there for long.

3) And the most important quesiton is, how many are those players? If there are only one or two thousand people willing to pay money for a new race and willing to give up other content in order to get a new race, we can stop discussing. It has to be enough people a) to justify to create less content for other players, aka it has to be the vast majority, or b) to spend enough money so Anet can make a new race and the same amount of content.
It's very unlikely that any of this is the case.

if their new expansion for gw2 included a new race/faction, then there would be more reasons for me to buy that expansion. its just a fact.

1) If their new expansion contains a new race, but barely any other content, there would be much less reasons to buy that expansions. People would rage out because the new expansion gives them nothing more than a new race. It's just a fact.

2) Your mistake in thinking is that you assume a new race is already created and ready to be shipped.
With that done all work is already done and ofcourse people would check the new, already created race.
But that's not the case.

The case is the question if creating a new race would make sense or not. And the answer is no.
As listed up earlier, creating a new race would be a huge amount of work. For an expansion this means they have to cut content in order have ressources for a new race.
Result -> An expansion with a new race, but literally nothing else.
And I highly doubt many players are willing to pay ~25$ for a new race and wait a whole year for the next content patch.

it's not even about just races. for example, why do I have only 2% world map completion? just because I like competitive game modes, doesn't mean that PVE content should be labeled as useless for pvp/wvw players. they should somehow reuse the pve content for pvp. a new race would probably change this and get me into pve more.

Did any of the existing 5 races changes this and got you into PvE more? Apparently not, otherwise you wouldn't argue this way.
This means there is a 0/5 chance a new race would have this effect.

Also you can just play any race in PvP/WvW as well, there is would be absolutely no reason for you to play PvE because of a new race.
So your argument is invalid to begin with.

Edited by kiroho.4738
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Frozey.8513 said:

There are sadly no Elves in GW2 at all

Asura is by far the worst of the pack, literally made by someone who watched Harry Potter and thought house ELVES should be their own race.

Heh. 😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Why would they want to use plants for their bodies? Touche.

All the Vegan technology we have gotten in GW2 so far is purely plant-based, and if they had any desire to make things out of other materials they surely would have already done it. 

They do not choose the composition of their bodies.

Sylvari use metal, leather, other animal products, etc. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

They do not choose the composition of their bodies.

Sylvari use metal, leather, other animal products, etc. 

Nice, but why none of their racial stuff or vegan technology utilize those though?

• Confused 6

18 minutes ago, Frozey.8513 said:

Nice, but why none of their racial stuff or vegan technology utilize those though?

Well, their racial gear comprises less than 1% of their total options, so perhaps to give a bit of distinction and variety and to give an option to have a visual theme. I dont see many Sylavri characters using their racial exclusive gear though.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

A new race wouldn't add anything other than JUST another aesthetic to put skins on ... this equals low value. 

And to be clear, when we talk about what is value, it's not about what is value to YOU. It's about what is value to the whole playerbase AND to Anet. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Obtena.7952 said:

A new race wouldn't add anything other than JUST another aesthetic to put skins on ... this equals low value. 

And to be clear, when we talk about what is value, it's not about what is value to YOU. It's about what is value to the whole playerbase AND to Anet. 

Arenanet hasnt done anything of value or big with GW2 since HoT/PoF. IBS/EoD added a few cool new things, but they were minor things and SoTo is full recycled and nothing new.

A new race will add new movement and animations, so the gameplay would feel totally different, would add an entire new Lore and would make ppl play lots of hours and feel they are still doing something with GW2 not just GW:Beyond and grab money till GW3 comes out.

Edited by Izzy.2951
  • Like 3
  • Confused 9

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I mean, the term 'Fashion Wars' exists for a reason. Collecting aesthetics is what a very large chunk of what this game is about. Adding a new race would play into that.

• Like 3
  • Confused 7

its so funny how some here are arguing against the facts. its like now players wouldn't want to create a character that is a dwarf/bird,...

i'm 200% sure this topic will be created again in the future, if we don't get a new playable race,...

• Confused 7

On 4/30/2024 at 7:38 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

"Will doing X be profitable?" 

Yes? Do it. 

No? Don't do it. 

But I bet you know better than people who's job it is to make such decisions. 

Your business must be booming. I'm sure. 

GW2 is a game. It's meant to be fun and exciting.

If those things are out of scope and not worth pursuing because all they do is chase short term profit with a dwindling playerbase then we're doomed.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Morvran.8265 said:

GW2 is a game. It's meant to be fun and exciting.

If those things are out of scope and not worth pursuing because all they do is chase short term profit with a dwindling playerbase then we're doomed.

Gw2 is a product. 

It's main goal is to make profit. 

Adding a new race is PEAK short term profit. 

If it even is profitable in the first place. 

Adding a new race is a massiv frontloaded workload while adding extra work to every single content release in the future. 

Sure, if the next ex pack had tengu, it probably would sell a bit better but a race doesn't add much to the game longterm. Other then the initial hype. 

If it was profitable and actually feasible, we would have gotten a new race by now. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Gw2 is a product. 

It's main goal is to make profit. 

Adding a new race is PEAK short term profit. 

If it even is profitable in the first place. 

Adding a new race is a massiv frontloaded workload while adding extra work to every single content release in the future. 

Sure, if the next ex pack had tengu, it probably would sell a bit better but a race doesn't add much to the game longterm. Other then the initial hype. 

If it was profitable and actually feasible, we would have gotten a new race by now. 

Actually, it could be argued that Tengu have been intended as a serious candidate for being an additional race from the start of the game, seeing how they positioned the Dominion of Winds in the world map, with a likely entrance in the east of Caledon forest, which could be their starter area. Given that they haven't done anything with it yet in almost 12 years, it seems unlikely they ever will.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Randin.5701 said:

I mean, the term 'Fashion Wars' exists for a reason. Collecting aesthetics is what a very large chunk of what this game is about. Adding a new race would play into that.

If so, then this could be accomplished with a simple tonic.  No new race would need to be created.

• Confused 1