Personal Housing, A New Raid, A New Weapon, and More: Janthir Wilds launches August 20! [Merged]

A few concerns about housing.

Let us choose where to set the home building as well as the gardening plots and foliage in the area.

Introduce different looking home buildings to use interchangeably that we can use on any and future land.

Add new structure decorations so we can design our own buildings and layouts. Not everyone wants an internal home, but something more fantastical.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

the coolest thing about the raid: There is also world event style way to complete it...!!!!

They said there will be an open world way to experience the story of that raid. It may just mean that wing 8 will be the raid version of the map meta. Which might end up as similar as the Raid versions of Vale Guardian and Sloth are to the OW ones.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Finally got an expansion without "Of" in the title. 😃

Surprised the rest of the water weapons aren't to follow~ and I hope Homestead isn't just a home instance you upgrade with everything goin' in predetermined spots.

1 minute ago, Doggie.3184 said:

Finally got an expansion without "Of" in the title. 😃

Surprised the rest of the water weapons aren't to follow~ and I hope Homestead isn't just a home instance you upgrade with everything goin' in predetermined spots.

I don't think they could do as much with the other two underwater weapons. Tridents are so close to staffs and spear guns are so close to rifles I can't imagine being able to come up with a ton of good new skill ideas that would make them feel different enough to justify them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wheezy.2846 said:

I don't think they could do as much with the other two underwater weapons. Tridents are so close to staffs and spear guns are so close to rifles I can't imagine being able to come up with a ton of good new skill ideas that would make them feel different enough to justify them.

It's possible. Just have to be creative. Like; personally I could do it myself but I don't work for them.

Just now, Sylvyn.4750 said:

As a WvW main, wondering if the upcoming changes to Warclaw in WvW will require the purchase of the new expansion to utilize, or not?

I entirely doubt it. It is probably some overhaul of the skills you unlock with your points.

If anything, I expect that players who unlocked Warclaw in WvW would get something special since PvE players will probably get one automatically through story. Unless Warclaw is a bonus that you have to earn that isn't required to do story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mor The Thief.9135 said:

@Rubi Bayer.8493 

Can you confirm that if we use the Legendary Spear, we can use it in both the aquatic and terrestrial weapon slots at the same time with only 1 unlocked?

Your answer is literally in the text you quoted - no. You can't. It's like any other legendary. It can fill one equipment slot. Got a dagger? It can be in one main hand or one offhand slot at once. Same deal here. Skin can be on whatever, but the utility of stat swapping etc is locked to one slot, underwater OR your normal land weapon slot.

@Rubi Bayer.8493 

Couple of questions/notes:

1. Will Home portal stone have an option to port to homestead as well as home instance? Otherwise, it will lose its value.

2. Deluxe/Ultimate options are bundled with infinite tools/identity repair kit, which veteran players have a bunch already. It's definitely a value prop for new players but would be great to have deluxe/ultimate options with cosmetics or other stuff useful for veterans. For me personally added content has no value to justify more expensive purchase even if I would like to get it otherwise.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Wheezy.2846 said:

Your answer is literally in the text you quoted - no. You can't. It's like any other legendary. It can fill one equipment slot. Got a dagger? It can be in one main hand or one offhand slot at once. Same deal here. Skin can be on whatever, but the utility of stat swapping etc is locked to one slot, underwater OR your normal land weapon slot.

A legendary weapon can normally be equipped in two weapon slots at the same time, just not wielded at the same time. Your aquatic weapon slot is an alternate not simultaneously wielded. For example, I can have a my legendary staff equipped in weapon slot one with a given Stat selection and also equipped in slot two, available for weapon swap, with a different Stat selection.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

Seconding the appearance of different homes. There are so many housing types in game, from sylvari pods to Elonian adobe and everything in between! Gunning especially for Elonian style homes (along with dolyak skins for the new PvE warclaw~~~). Stoked either way -- the previews of the homes look so cozy.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

A legendary weapon can normally be equipped in two weapon slots at the same time, just not wielded at the same time. Your aquatic weapon slot is an alternate not simultaneously wielded. For example, I can have a my legendary staff equipped in weapon slot one with a given Stat selection and also equipped in slot two, available for weapon swap, with a different Stat selection.

no it can't... you need 2 of the staff to be able to do that... you can place the same staff on different equipment template tabs, but to use it twice on the same tab, you need 2 of the legendary staff... that's why there's a number on the weapon's icon in the legendary armory. and if you have multiples of the weapon, it will show you how many you've equipped in that tab as a fraction: IE 1/2... or 1/4 (if you have 4 of a 1-handed weapon)

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

A few concerns about housing.

Let us choose where to set the home building as well as the gardening plots and foliage in the area.

Introduce different looking home buildings to use interchangeably that we can use on any and future land.

Add new structure decorations so we can design our own buildings and layouts. Not everyone wants an internal home, but something more fantastical.

LOL not happening with a game this old, they have limitations you know.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I am not pre-ordering Janthir Wilds at this point, because:

• many aspects of the announcement seem still vague,
  • the expac will have Convergences again (what a waste of resources on boring grind content when the new raid wing will have an open world access option!),
  • I don't care about a reworked Warclaw,
  • I don't care to "work towards something" again that will not be available on release (that's just a recipe for disappointment and timewaste).
  • Like 9
  • Confused 7

Nice to be exploring more of Tyria. But I want to know the following.

How many maps do we get at launch? 

Is it going to be 3 again? e.g. 2 actual maps and 1 hub map?

Is it going to be the same release cadence as SoTO? Or will the story be complete at launch with additional story to follow like with HoT, PoF and EoD?

SoTO left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak with how it all came out. I felt id wasn't value for money and I've still to finish the story because I personally think it's a bad story and I just don't care about the characters. So I'm not interested in spending money of another expansion in the same vain as SoTO.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

Pleasantly surprised with what has been shown so far. Wilds of Janthir (yes I am calling it that) looks very appealing visually, the fuzzy Warclaws are very cute and I'm curious on how the abilities will be reworked for PvE (you could already throw a lance in WvW to dismount your opponent, will that get reused here with spears?). Also seems quite balanced content between the new raid, housing, new legendary and PvP mode. A bit weird that every profession gets the same weapon, but it's a 'new' 2-hander and sounds like it will have unique abilities for each profession so I guess it's fine.

Obviously need to see more between now and August, SotO didn't work out all that well for me, but the reveal here made a good initial impression and I am looking forward to seeing more.

• Like 4

Just now, BrotherBelial.3094 said:

Nice to be exploring more of Tyria. But I want to know the following.

How many maps do we get at launch? 

Is it going to be 3 again? e.g. 2 actual maps and 1 hub map?

Is it going to be the same release cadence as SoTO? Or will the story be complete at launch with additional story to follow like with HoT, PoF and EoD?

SoTO left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak with how it all came out. I felt id wasn't value for money and I've still to finish the story because I personally think it's a bad story and I just don't care about the characters. So I'm not interested in spending money of another expansion in the same vain as SoTO.

SOme of this was addressed last week in the blog

"For our next expansion, our first two maps will be released at the expansion’s launch just as they did in SotO. However, the final map will arrive in the second quarterly update and be expanded upon in the third—meaning it will be expanded on for two total releases like Bjora Marches and Drizzlewood Coast."

As for the hub, it's likely to be the Wizard's Tower still. It's far too early to ditch it and we're in the same area as Horn of Maguuma still anyway

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I am not pre-ordering Janthir Wilds at this point, because:

• many aspects of the announcement seem still vague,
  • the expac will have Convergences again (what a waste of resources on boring grind content when the new raid wing will have an open world access option!),
  • I don't care about a reworked Warclaw,
  • I don't care to "work towards something" again that will not be available on release (that's just a recipe for disappointment and timewaste).

Also hope there's not a repeat of Thief Spear somehow being made into an extremely loud ear piercing weapon at last minute like they did with Thief Axe~ and then never ever changing it back to what it was in beta despite it inflicting ear aches and headaches onto people. Really killed SOTO for me, personally, and made me hate the slow release process of buying something unfinished.

IDK what their deal is with making a stealth class have the loudest weapons.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, WRay.2391 said:

@Rubi Bayer.8493 

Couple of questions/notes:

1. Will Home portal stone have an option to port to homestead as well as home instance? Otherwise, it will lose its value.

Second this question. if it's not getting an update, will there be a way to teleport to the homestead?

3 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

SOme of this was addressed last week in the blog

"For our next expansion, our first two maps will be released at the expansion’s launch just as they did in SotO. However, the final map will arrive in the second quarterly update and be expanded upon in the third—meaning it will be expanded on for two total releases like Bjora Marches and Drizzlewood Coast."

As for the hub, it's likely to be the Wizard's Tower still. It's far too early to ditch it and we're in the same area as Horn of Maguuma still anyway

Well, I guess I'm not buying it then. They are charging us for Living world now and just calling it an expansion. The expansions were good value before, having a full story at launch then with a story to bridge to the next. now it's a poor man's WoW release model.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 7

1 minute ago, BrotherBelial.3094 said:

Well, I guess I'm not buying it then. They are charging us for Living world now and just calling it an expansion. The expansions were good value before, having a full story at launch then with a story to bridge to the next. now it's a poor man's WoW release model.

My wife and I go out for a fast food meal and pay more than the cost of the expansion. Just sayin'.

Eh, now that I think about it, some of those fast food meals do have some "replay value!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 11
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, BrotherBelial.3094 said:

Fair enough. Everyone makes their own value call.

For me, it's an easy £20 worth given the time I sink into it. I agree we got fantastic value before and I prefered the scale of what we got before also, but I've made my peace with the reduced releases and now enjoy what's in front of me. If that means £20 for a year's worth of near daily enjoyment, so be it.

Also, if I paid for it, I get the right to give my feedback on what I've paid for. And I know they'd miss my criticism valid guidance if I didn't 😉

• Like 9
  • Confused 1