Where's the Hype?

Where's the hype for this expansion? It's only 2 weeks until release and there's nothing but crickets..

Last week there was a Housing livestream where 3 devs unenthusiastically showed off it's features and seemed to run out of things to talk about 10 minutes in because it is so basic. And this weeks GW2 news is a bunch of gemstore skins 20% off.

They still haven't shown us the new PvP mode.

What's going on at Anet? Are they 90% focused on GW3 or something? It's really lame..

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 23
  • Sad 1

The expansion, just like SotO, will be cut into 4 'chapters',  meaning not everything of the new features will be released at the launch of Janthir Wilds, some things will be released later and I think that's the case for the new PvP mode as well. (I could be wrong.) So that might explain why they haven't shared anything about it yet, they're saving it for later. 

For now I think the hype is focused on Homesteads and the Spear and the first area we'll be getting. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Eh over-hyping is worse. 

Remember No Man's Sky?

Remember Cyberpunk? 

Sure they got better, but people were enraged when those games released.  People were so high on anticipation that they felt betrayed by the mediocre reality on release.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

I'm sticking with my de facto subscription fee theory. We're just paying to keep the game alive, any new things that we feel are 'worth' it are just a bonus. That may sound gloom and doomy, but I don't even really mean it as a complaint. It just is what it is for a twelve year old game . . .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Buzzbugs.1236 said:

Where's the hype for this expansion? It's only 2 weeks until release and there's nothing but crickets..

Last week there was a Housing livestream where 3 devs unenthusiastically showed off it's features and seemed to run out of things to talk about 10 minutes in because it is so basic. And this weeks GW2 news is a bunch of gemstore skins 20% off.

They still haven't shown us the new PvP mode.

What's going on at Anet? Are they 90% focused on GW3 or something? It's really lame..

Hype for what? Housing, that serves no purpose, other than copy/pasting guild halls into smaller area?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 12

Not much to hype. If you want a new map and new story, they have it. Most likely will be fun, and I pre-ordered it - like all expansions.

Instanced housing serves no purpose. We already have our instance home zone, whatever they are supposed to be for...  The only game that got player housing right was Ultima Online.  Open world housing, where you could go visit friends and vendors. I have never had any desire for instanced housing. 😎

• Like 4
  • Confused 11

6 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

I'm sticking with my de facto subscription fee theory. We're just paying to keep the game alive, any new things that we feel are 'worth' it are just a bonus. That may sound gloom and doomy, but I don't even really mean it as a complaint. It just is what it is for a twelve year old game . . .

subscription fee? 
Elder Scrolls Online sells expansions and gives the option to subscribe.  The subscription in ESO doubles the bank space and grants infinite material storage, a 10% bonus to gold, crafting exp,  combat exp, and temporary access to old expansion regions without having to buy them.
 You can't learn jewelry crafting unless you visit the summerset region.  You either buy that expansion or pay for the subscription since summerset is an older expansion.

In Gw2 if you want to use spears on land you buy the expansion or... or... 
I am not seeing an alternative.  I am not seeing a subscription that would allow me temporary access to content that I haven't bought.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Hype for what? Housing, that serves no purpose, other than copy/pasting guild halls into smaller area?

Exactly. It is just  a mini personal guild hall with advance decoration tools (should be given as a GH upgrade years ago) combined with our home instance features. This is redundancy having two home instances now. Just like having many new sketchy maps when they could just do an upgrade and revive many existing A+ maps 🤷‍♀️

And, what's worst all these will be spread over 1 ~ 1.5 years just like SotO. Not a mini expansion, a nano expansion is more like it.

Edited by Sugar Min.5834
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8

5 hours ago, Sugar Min.5834 said:

Exactly. It is just  a mini personal guild hall with advance decoration tools (should be given as a GH upgrade years ago) combined with our home instance features. This is redundancy having two home instances now. Just like having many new sketchy maps when they could just do an upgrade and revive many existing A+ maps 🤷‍♀️

And, what's worst all these will be spread over 1 ~ 1.5 years just like SotO. Not a mini expansion, a nano expansion is more like it.

It's the same technology/design, what are you even talking about.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

exploring the mysterious janthir islands is a dream for many.

If it were 4 maps, I would definitely agree. As it is, I think we will, once again, barely scratch the surface of the topic. I could be wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, ShatteredStars.6548 said:

It's the same technology/design, what are you even talking about.

It's not exactly the same, what are you talking about?

Currently, we have no editing tools for guild hall decorations, options to change to day or night and that homestead door (kinda like that). If you are referring to the decorations, yes I totally agree they are all existing guild hall decorations except for a couple. And homestead adds a place to park your toons and mounts, but they are kinda just standing there all day (looks silly to me) And accordingly, the homestead is going to get some exclusive decorations but the question is, when? A year later?

Edited by Sugar Min.5834
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

Hype? Well let's have a look at what's on offer:

• NEW: maps, story. Mandatory, because there's no way they could leave those out and still call it an expansion.
  • NEW: raid. That's great and I'm sure it's long overdue, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the playerbase doesn't engage with those. I doubt that will change because of JW, especially when players will have the same content available in open-world encounters (see bullet point above), just formatted slightly different.
  • NEW: fractal, TBA. We have no more info than that, so I guess that's nice?
  • REWORK: weapon. Once again, this is an existing weapon being reworked in lieu of a new espec, which we will likely never get again under the current release model.
  • REWORK: Homestead player housing. Basically they took the existing features of guild halls and the home instance and mashed them together with a moderately improved UI, calling it something new. This is almost exactly what they claimed they had learned their lesson about: "the trap of releasing new features for the sake of releasing new features even if they overlap with something that already exists."
  • REWORK: warclaw. I'm not quite sure what to think about this one, but nothing I've read about it makes me think that it will get any use outside of required story progression. And even that assumes that you can't use any other mount for whatever reason, like a jackal 2.0 thing that only warclaws can do. Maybe the WvW updates will improve it, but honestly that wouldn't take much.
  • COSMETICS: of course. I am including the as-yet-unknown new legendaries in this, since at this point in the game's life the only thing a new legendary item offers is another skin. There is no new feature or functionality being added.
  • OTHER: I probably left something out, so that goes here.

All that for USD $25, which is the cash equivalent of 2000 gems (or ~842G as of this post). No you can't buy JW with gems, but it's a useful basis for comparison. What else costs 2000 gems? Several mount skins, a Lv80 boost ticket, central Tyria waypoint unlock package, and probably a few other things that aren't currently in the shop to refer to. Now let's take a look at what's priced at a higher equivalent value in the shop:

• 2400-2700 gems: infinite gathering tool sets
  • 2400 gems: Phialslinger Manticore Appearance Package
  • 2400 gems: HoT/PoF/EoD deluxe upgrades (each)

When ANet itself values its new expansion at or below these levels, it's hard to get hyped about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 10

JW doesn't have any one single feature I'm hyped about (tho the new Raid is close and might be once it gets closer) but I have pre-purchased and I am hyped in general that GW2 continues to get new content and ongoing development. Of course this is more a general background satisfaction on my part, rather than a fist pump of joy moment which would prompt me to create a new thread about it on the forums...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oh I'll be buying it for my main account, mainly because I don't like playing an incomplete game; I want access to all released content.

But I'm also waiting until after launch and preferably after they do at least a couple of the inevitable post-release bug patches.

While I do like the list of features (some parts more than others), I find it impossible to get hyped about it. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I'm not super interested in the housing.  I know they worked hard on it, but it won't be as good as even basic implementations in other games, so it's very meh and if it was included with other significant features, I would skip it.

As it's the banner feature.  I don't know.  Might wait for a discount on this expansion.

And if the map exploration is as bad as SoTO was, I will probably never go there beyond doing the story.  And if its just map wide metas again, I will actively avoid the maps.

So really, because of how disappointing SoTO was, I am not willing to prepurchase, I am waiting for the final release so we can see the whole package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Don't get me wrong here. I love doing decorations otherwise I wouldn't have gotten myself a private guild hall and spent hundreds of hours decorating it.

My gripe is if this is going to be a new expansion feature, give us a new decoration system and not copy and paste existing guild hall decoration system and even use their decorations and mix in home instance nodes and then packaged it as player housing. So much overlapping thus rendering existing working features redundant. What hype?

Edited by Sugar Min.5834
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4