Where's the Hype?

7 minutes ago, quake.9023 said:

there is 3.6k post related for JW 2 weeks out of release. and 15k for soto and 19k for EOD. OP has a point. its way behind on activity. there is minimal things to discuss and post about

How many EoD and Soto posts are from after launch? 
Usually there is a lot of discussion after the launch. 
But true, JW doesn’t have very controversial things like DE meta, open world legendary armor or wizards vault that got a lot of attention. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

But true, JW doesn’t have very controversial things like DE meta, open world legendary armor or wizards vault that got a lot of attention. 

i completely agree with your confusion. i didnt think about the additional 12k of post related to be about 1 meta.  and 15k post related to be about pve leg armor/wv . 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, quake.9023 said:

i completely agree with your confusion. i didnt think about the additional 12k of post related to be about 1 meta.  and 15k post related to be about pve leg armor/wv . 

Maybe read my post again. You don’t seem to have understood it. 

• Like 3

On 8/8/2024 at 2:51 AM, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

JW doesn't have any one single feature I'm hyped about (tho the new Raid is close and might be once it gets closer) but I have pre-purchased and I am hyped in general that GW2 continues to get new content and ongoing development.

This. 👍

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

On 8/9/2024 at 11:23 AM, yoni.7015 said:

Majority of EoD posts are people complaining about Anet showing off too much before release and about the turtle/DE meta and the majority of Soto posts are people complaining that Anet is not showing off a lot before release and about "OW Legendary armor too expensive" 😉 

In all seriousness.. same thread from before Soto, "people barely talk about Soto, where hype". Currently Soto is almost a year old and EoD is over 2 years old, of course they have more threads than an expansion that was revealed maybe 3 months ago.

• Thanks 2

I am not particularly interested in any of the big features listed for JW but my guildies are and I enjoy playing with them. I am sure that they will want to give the new raid a shot and so I will need to be there for them. $25 is about the cost of one or two lunches these days so I went ahead and bought the expac. Hopefully the story will be better than recent releases.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 2

Legendary backpack? - Don't need another.

Legendary spear? - Don't care for two-handed terrestrial spears, but okay, will get it to complete my collection.

Homesteads? - Already decorated a whole guild hall by myself. (Looking forward to the updated decoration mechanics, though.) Also wonder if this will remain the only Homestead in the game.

Updated Warclaw for PvE? - Meh.

New raid? - Hope it is good, will definitely try it. It's the one feature that interests me at this point.

More convergences? - Blargh.

Only two new maps? - Hope they are fun to explore, at least, and feature interesting events. I don't need another Inner Nayos experience.

New story quality and scope? - I'm skeptical, to be honest.

New achievements? - Likewise.

Hype level? - Currently 1/10.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 5
  • Confused 7

I don't think the hype culture is healthy for gaming as a hobby. It brings nothing to the table and expects everything from both the player and the author. It's a marketing practice that adds no value, and exists solely to create fear of missing out.

I'd say the feature set of Janthir Wilds is great for an annual expansion model. You get a core system with room for expansion, you get the usual content pack, you get reworking of otherwise abandoned content. So the game is building upon itself while progressing as a platform for entertainment.

That's enough, in my book. It's a good purchase, it's good time.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Perhaps you confuse hype with discussions going wild. I think generally people are pleased with what's coming out or at least curious. Perhaps that's why there isn't a lot of discussion going on and that makes it feel like there's less hype. I dunno, seems nice for a change 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

SOTO had quite a lot of controversy around it due to the new expansion model, relics (and removal of the 6th rune bonus) and removing login rewards and dailies in favor of Wizard's Vault. I believe those three things produced a large portion of the pre-release posts.

Whereas JW seems to have done a pretty good job of both avoiding controversy and offering a range of features. Between raids, player housing, a new weapon for all classes, new legendaries and exploring a new area we've heard about but not seen, Anet have covered a fair number of bases.

I'm hoping they pull it off well and the story is more consistent throughout the year than SOTO.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

On 8/10/2024 at 9:45 PM, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Majority of EoD posts are people complaining about Anet showing off too much before release and about the turtle/DE meta and the majority of Soto posts are people complaining that Anet is not showing off a lot before release and about "OW Legendary armor too expensive" 😉 

In all seriousness.. same thread from before Soto, "people barely talk about Soto, where hype". Currently Soto is almost a year old and EoD is over 2 years old, of course they have more threads than an expansion that was revealed maybe 3 months ago.

the expansion post is archived 1 week into launch. so no. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 8/9/2024 at 5:34 PM, yoni.7015 said:

Maybe read my post again. You don’t seem to have understood it. 

clear as day. maybe you didnt understood mine. was trying to be satire. oh well, u know what...lets just keep rambling n be conflicting to generate more responses for JW. lol your turn

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, quake.9023 said:

the expansion post is archived 1 week into launch. so no. 

I'm afraid you are mistaken.

Now that Guild Wars 2: Secrets of the Obscure is available to play, we'll be archiving this forum in one week and moving all active conversations about the live game to the General Discussion forum so you can keep chatting. Starting today, all new discussions about SotO content should go in the main subforums. Thank you!

Thus, the sub-forum was archived 1 full month after Secrets of the Obscure released.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2024 at 10:58 PM, Zebulous.2934 said:

Eh over-hyping is worse. 

Remember No Man's Sky?

Remember Cyberpunk? 

Sure they got better, but people were enraged when those games released.  People were so high on anticipation that they felt betrayed by the mediocre reality on release.

Those were new buggy releases, not an expansion for a 12 year old stable game.

We're a week away from release and still no news on the pvp mode? Like, all the main features should already be revealed a month ago, end of the day they're trying to sell a product, or at least I think they are, their marketing has always been pretty bad, and this expansion is already looking pretty thin on features as it is and they continue to repackage content they already had, warclaw.....

🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, XenesisII.1540 said:

Those were new buggy releases, not an expansion for a 12 year old stable game.

We're a week away from release and still no news on the pvp mode? Like, all the main features should already be revealed a month ago, end of the day they're trying to sell a product, or at least I think they are, their marketing has always been pretty bad, and this expansion is already looking pretty thin on features as it is and they continue to repackage content they already had, warclaw.....

🤷‍♂️

Remember the devs decided to make things easier on themselves by not releasing full expansions.  This is just the first 1/3 or 1/4 of the expansion.  Supposedly there will be more releases with more features... later.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Zebulous.2934 said:

Remember the devs decided to make things easier on themselves by not releasing full expansions.  This is just the first 1/3 or 1/4 of the expansion.  Supposedly there will be more releases with more features... later.

And I get that, not every expansion will have something everyone wants, next expansion might have new elite specs again, who knows. But holding on to information that could help sell your product to the very last week, doesn't make sense.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

I am really not hyped on it at all.... may be the least interested in an expansion I have ever had for Guild wars.     

I have no interest in playing Sims with the homestead.   I do not frequent raids, strikes or fractals (not really interested in instanced content).   Already have a legendary back piece, as well as the spear (and a 2nd one made just in case in my bank) so those aren't a draw.... Was pretty underwhelmed by the spear beta so that kinda killed my interest in it.   

I'm also not a fan of the way they drip feed it over a year.  If its anywhere like SoTo then I fear this may just be the end of the line for me

So really what's left?   No amount of vague video or whatnot will build much more hype for me at least.    

Pretty much the only thing for me to kinda look forward to is the warclaw being useful in pve.  And I fear its going to be treated like the skyscale was in Soto, Where folks who have it already unlocked will have to do it again to get whatever benefit is added.   Having to regrind for something I already have is starting to feel more like a slap to the face then a reward.  

/shrug

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

16 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

SOTO had quite a lot of controversy around it due to the new expansion model, relics (and removal of the 6th rune bonus) and removing login rewards and dailies in favor of Wizard's Vault.

No, the point of criticism was the lack of proper content from 3/4 of the expansion's patches. I don't mind an annual expansion, relics (if they added more that make sense and will actually be used), nor the WV.

16 hours ago, Mistwraithe.3106 said:

Whereas JW seems to have done a pretty good job of both avoiding controversy and offering a range of features. Between raids, player housing, a new weapon for all classes, new legendaries and exploring a new area we've heard about but not seen, Anet have covered a fair number of bases.

None of those are of interest for veteran players, except a new raid wing and a new weapon (if you are into two-handed spears, which I am not). Housing is redundant, we already have had decorating in the game for ages. A legendary backpack is redundant as there already have been several in the game for ages. And two new maps per a whole year don't make for much exploration unless they are of a similar scope as the bigger, more elaborate existing expansion/LW maps.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4