A Proposal for a Subscription Model in Guild Wars 2

As a long-time MMO player since the 1990s, I've witnessed the evolution of the genre, from the early days of World of Warcraft to the more recent years with Guild Wars 2. Over the years, I've seen many games come and go, but Guild Wars 2 stands out to me as a game crafted with genuine passion. The development team has consistently shown their commitment to making the game the best it can be—squashing bugs, addressing issues, and continually adding new content. They do all this while managing a budget dependent on the community's support through in-game purchases. It's evident that Guild Wars 2 has grown and evolved over the years, thanks to a dedicated team that never gives up. My following thoughts are not a criticism but rather a suggestion to help further support this incredible game.

**Why a Subscription Model Makes Sense**

I’ve never been one to purchase virtual items frequently. For me, it’s only worth it if it enhances my game-play experience. I’m more interested in storage, gear, and overall enjoyment rather than how my character looks. However, I've noticed some challenges in these areas that could be alleviated with a subscription model.

**Storage Concerns**

In Guild Wars 2, storage is a significant concern. Ironically, it's often cheaper to buy another character slot and use that character for storage rather than upgrading storage areas. I've even created a guild for the sole purpose of accessing a guild vault, only to realize the extensive effort required to get one. Additionally, storage upgrades can be frustrating. For example, purchasing a stack upgrade to store 750 items instead of 250 only applies to the material vault, not to the bank or personal bags. These limitations can be frustrating and detract from the overall experience.

**Gear Frustrations**

When it comes to gear, I’m less concerned with appearance and more with functionality. While I appreciate the freedom that legendary gear offers in allowing players to switch stats, the process of crafting legendary items is incredibly long and complex. It wasn't until I found a third-party website that I was able to craft a few pieces. I’ve always believed that crafted items should either be superior to or at least more cost-effective than those available for purchase. The introduction of Secrets of the Obscure has been a step in the right direction, offering legendary components more accessible to players. However, the current system still favors those willing to spend money, which, while understandable, creates a barrier for players like me who prefer to earn their way.

**The Case for a Subscription Model**

Given these challenges, I propose that Guild Wars 2 considers introducing a subscription model. I’m aware that the topic of subscriptions can be divisive, and I’m sure the Guild Wars 2 team has weighed this option before. However, I believe a well-balanced subscription model could enhance the game’s experience for players while providing a more stable revenue stream for the developers.

Here’s what I propose for a $15.00/month subscription:

1. **All Storage Unlocked for All Characters**: This would immediately solve the storage limitations many players face and make the game more enjoyable.

2. **Unlimited Character Slots**: Players could experiment with different builds and professions without worrying about the cost of additional slots.

3. **$5.00 Worth of Gems Per Month**: A small but meaningful bonus that allows players to purchase in-game items without needing to spend extra money.

4. **Access to All Expansion Content**: This would ensure that all players can enjoy the full scope of what Guild Wars 2 has to offer, regardless of their financial situation.

**What Happens if the Subscription Expires?**

If a player lets their subscription expire or cancels, they would lose access to the features unlocked by the subscription. However, I propose that certain unlocks, like character slots, be available at a discounted rate during the subscription period. This way, players who value permanent unlocks can still benefit from the subscription without feeling penalized for unsubscribing. Additionally, players would retain any unspent gems and would lose access to any expansion content they hadn’t purchased outright.

**Balancing Revenue Streams**

I understand that introducing a subscription model could potentially reduce revenue from gem sales. However, I believe that many players who are hesitant to invest in digital items might see a subscription as a more valuable option, potentially offsetting any loss in gem sales. The subscription model would also provide a more predictable and steady revenue stream, which could be beneficial for planning and development. Offering multiple subscription tiers (An example would be: month-to-month for $20.00/month, six months at $108, or one year at $180) could also encourage longer-term commitments and boost revenue.

**Conclusion**

Guild Wars 2 has thrived thanks to a dedicated team and a passionate community. Introducing a subscription model could provide the game with a more consistent revenue stream, allowing the developers to continue enhancing and expanding the game we all love. It would also offer players like me a way to support the game while gaining meaningful benefits that improve the overall experience. With the right balance, a subscription model could be a win-win for both the developers and the players.

Thank you for considering this proposal, and I hope it sparks a conversation about how we can continue to support the future of Guild Wars 2.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 65
  • Sad 3

24 minutes ago, Drew The Geek.9613 said:

...you said things....

Have you played SWoTR?  It has been a miserable experience to not be a sub.

Guild Wars 2 has thrived thanks to a dedicated team and a passionate community. Introducing a subscription model could provide the game with a more consistent revenue stream, allowing the developers to continue enhancing and expanding the game we all love. It would also offer players like me a way to support the game while gaining meaningful benefits that improve the overall experience. With the right balance, a subscription model could be a win-win for both the developers and the players.

You should use the forum search feature, this has been brought up many times before, and it has been beat to death.

You might think that Anet/NCSoft would do what you want if they had more money coming in but, they could make those changes today without requiring a sub.  

1. **All Storage Unlocked for All Characters**: This would immediately solve the storage limitations many players face and make the game more enjoyable.

2. **Unlimited Character Slots**: Players could experiment with different builds and professions without worrying about the cost of additional slots.

3. **$5.00 Worth of Gems Per Month**: A small but meaningful bonus that allows players to purchase in-game items without needing to spend extra money.

4. **Access to All Expansion Content**: This would ensure that all players can enjoy the full scope of what Guild Wars 2 has to offer, regardless of their financial situation.

1 - This is a method of making money Anet already uses. You have to pay for the storage expansion.

2 - This is a method of making money Anet already uses.  You have to pay for the character slots.

4 - This is a method of making money Anet already uses.  You have to pay for expansion content.

What you are suggesting would allow someone to pay for 1 month, and not pay for all the features that are already monetized by Anet, and then bail after a month or two at a fraction of the cost.  Anet would lose money from this model.

Edited by mungozen.2379
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 8
  • Confused 1

If GW2 had a subscription fee, I would not have even started playing it, much less spend money on expansions, the gemstore and whatnot.

And look at the shitfest WoW became, despite the subscription fee. More budget does not translate into better game, these days.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 12

I've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $80k on GW2 over the years and across multiple accounts because I like the existing business model. I would quit the game instantly if a subscription were added. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

35 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I've spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $80k on GW2 over the years and across multiple accounts because I like the existing business model. I would quit the game instantly if a subscription were added. 

What have you bought for 80.000 usd?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Well sub no, but if they charged more for yearly ''living world'' expansions to let them improve on content quantity and quality I woudnt mind. You see its NCsoft after all and I will never understand why This game is not p2w. Maybe something we dont know...but what ever. At moment this game stagnates and its no good for me.

• Confused 6

1 hour ago, mungozen.2379 said:

Have you played SWoTR?  It has been a miserable experience to not be a sub.

You should use the forum search feature, this has been brought up many times before, and it has been beat to death.

You might think that Anet/NCSoft would do what you want if they had more money coming in but, they could make those changes today without requiring a sub.  

1 - This is a method of making money Anet already uses. You have to pay for the storage expansion.

2 - This is a method of making money Anet already uses.  You have to pay for the character slots.

4 - This is a method of making money Anet already uses.  You have to pay for expansion content.

What you are suggesting would allow someone to pay for 1 month, and not pay for all the features that are already monetized by Anet, and then bail after a month or two at a fraction of the cost.  Anet would lose money from this model.

On top of that, kids and players who don't have a lot of disposable cash but have plenty of time, can turn gems to gold to get all of these things. In turn, this offset with the people with little time who actually need gold and buy gems to get it, meaning even these gold to gem conversions mean money for Anet.

OP mentions gear frustrations. Exotic gear is STUPIDLY cheap and is viable in all content except for fractals. Getting ascended gear has become easier and easier, especially with stat selectable options in every type of content in the game. Legendaries only take a bit of dedication and patience. There are no gear frustrations. This game is the least frustrating game in terms of gear that's out there. Once you get it, you're set for that gear, forever. This is not a problem.

I like the current model. I wouldn't like a subscription fee, I would feel like I'm forced to play so as to not "waste" my investment. Illogical? Maybe, but it would likely make me quit.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Drew The Geek.9613 said:

As a long-time MMO player since the 1990s, I've witnessed the evolution of the genre, from the early days of World of Warcraft to the more recent years with Guild Wars 2. Over the years, I've seen many games come and go, but Guild Wars 2 stands out to me as a game crafted with genuine passion. The development team has consistently shown their commitment to making the game the best it can be—squashing bugs, addressing issues, and continually adding new content. They do all this while managing a budget dependent on the community's support through in-game purchases. It's evident that Guild Wars 2 has grown and evolved over the years, thanks to a dedicated team that never gives up. My following thoughts are not a criticism but rather a suggestion to help further support this incredible game.

I’ve never been one to purchase virtual items frequently. For me, it’s only worth it if it enhances my game-play experience. I’m more interested in storage, gear, and overall enjoyment rather than how my character looks. However, I've noticed some challenges in these areas that could be alleviated with a subscription model.

**Storage Concerns**

In Guild Wars 2, storage is a significant concern. Ironically, it's often cheaper to buy another character slot and use that character for storage rather than upgrading storage areas. I've even created a guild for the sole purpose of accessing a guild vault, only to realize the extensive effort required to get one. Additionally, storage upgrades can be frustrating. For example, purchasing a stack upgrade to store 750 items instead of 250 only applies to the material vault, not to the bank or personal bags. These limitations can be frustrating and detract from the overall experience.

**Gear Frustrations**

When it comes to gear, I’m less concerned with appearance and more with functionality. While I appreciate the freedom that legendary gear offers in allowing players to switch stats, the process of crafting legendary items is incredibly long and complex. It wasn't until I found a third-party website that I was able to craft a few pieces. I’ve always believed that crafted items should either be superior to or at least more cost-effective than those available for purchase. The introduction of Secrets of the Obscure has been a step in the right direction, offering legendary components more accessible to players. However, the current system still favors those willing to spend money, which, while understandable, creates a barrier for players like me who prefer to earn their way.

Given these challenges, I propose that Guild Wars 2 considers introducing a subscription model. I’m aware that the topic of subscriptions can be divisive, and I’m sure the Guild Wars 2 team has weighed this option before. However, I believe a well-balanced subscription model could enhance the game’s experience for players while providing a more stable revenue stream for the developers.

If a player lets their subscription expire or cancels, they would lose access to the features unlocked by the subscription. However, I propose that certain unlocks, like character slots, be available at a discounted rate during the subscription period. This way, players who value permanent unlocks can still benefit from the subscription without feeling penalized for unsubscribing. Additionally, players would retain any unspent gems and would lose access to any expansion content they hadn’t purchased outright.

I understand that introducing a subscription model could potentially reduce revenue from gem sales. However, I believe that many players who are hesitant to invest in digital items might see a subscription as a more valuable option, potentially offsetting any loss in gem sales. The subscription model would also provide a more predictable and steady revenue stream, which could be beneficial for planning and development. Offering multiple subscription tiers (An example would be: month-to-month for $20.00/month, six months at $108, or one year at $180) could also encourage longer-term commitments and boost revenue.

**Conclusion**

Thank you for considering this proposal, and I hope it sparks a conversation about how we can continue to support the future of Guild Wars 2.

If you have money max out your storage, material storage and bags slot, if you want anet to have revenue, buy everything on their shop? 
BIG NO TO SUBSCRIPTION. THIS IS A POOR PERSON HERE. WITH CURRENCY CONVERSION, I CAN BARELY AFFORED ANYTHING ON THE TP, AND YOU WANT TO DESTORY THIS FOR ME. NO, PLEASE GO AWAY.

Edited by SweetPotato.7456
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

What have you bought for 80.000 usd?

Pretty much everything that can be bought multiple times over for self, friends, family, guildies and new players I run into while hanging in beginner zones to welcome people to the game. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

SWTOR and ESO are both examples why having a optional sub are BAD ideas. Both are far more annoying without the sub (being downright painful in SWTOR and micromanagment inventory nightmare in ESO) 

Add my voice to the not just no, but hell NO pool. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Drew The Geek.9613 said:

**Storage Concerns**

**Gear Frustrations**

**Conclusion**

No. This model has worked for more than ten years; if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Not everyone is swimming in money or has more pressing obligations than the bestest of the best gear or more bank slots. This had been proposed before and has been shot down. Every. Single. Time.

Edited by Tsakhi.8124
I'm kitten hard, y'all.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

If GW2 had a subscription fee, I would not have even started playing it, much less spend money on expansions, the gemstore and whatnot.

And look at the shitfest WoW became, despite the subscription fee. More budget does not translate into better game, these days.

It was good up until Blizzard was bought by Activision. The first buyable mount came with Wrath of the Lich King and it was dubbed "That kitten Horse".
Now the story is mediocre at best or low quality. I don't even spend money on that game, but the few things I've seen is meh.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

No.  Being sub free was one of the core selling points of the game.
It's entire identity is built around being a casual drop in drop out game.
Guild Wars 2 was built in response to all the kitten sub practices of old MMO's...and it worked. It's why a lot of the stuff it's designed has now been imported into other things in the genre.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I, like many others, would drop this game like rock if they ever added a subscription. Even if it was a "premium features" subscription rather than a monthly fee. They're a blight to every game they're in.

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Drew The Geek.9613 said:

"Hey mate, how about you pay more for the game than you otherwise would? It's a good idea, because you'll have access to all the content regardless of your financial situation!"

I bet that point sounded a lot better in your head, there is a reason why people tend to read what they want to post, to filter out stupidity like that. Along with the fact that 3 out of 4 things you proposed are already monetized.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

You want a subscription fee… here’s a novel idea… take that $15/mo you want to spend on a subscription, and buy $15 worth of gems each month.

With those gems you can buy 1 permanent unlock of a character slot, bank tab, or living world season… and still have $5 worth of gems left over… each month… just keep doing this, and before you know it you’ll have all the living worlds, more bank tabs than you know what to do with, and more character slots than you’ll ever actually need…

Infact I actually plan to start doing exactly this once my income stabilizes.

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I too have played MMOS since the 90s (which I certainly hope you realise is WELL before the days of WoW 🤨), well since '99, which was EverQuest - so I do not shy away from the idea of subs and have thrown down more money than I could ever calculate but here's the thing: SOE had a good sub model, Daybreak or whoever the heck runs all the old sony (SOE) games now does not (it's actually a good bit like the structure you propose tbh), neither do most of the others who run mmos with subs.
There tends to be a penalty for not subbing, if the pay model even includes a permanent f2p version; whether or not the intention is there in the beginning implementation, it always veers off in the direction in the end.
GW2 already has a great structure for a pay model; they are making some tweaks with xpaks and such to better suit their earning demands now, but the foundation is excellent already - a sub model would ruin it, and very likely the whole kitten game would suffer. I shop at the gem store each month and buy all the new content for my 2 accounts, this elective "sub structure" works great for me and well for Anet, as it was intended.
If I have some kind of financial hiccup I can bypass purchases for a month with no impact on my gameplay - in not pushing me away to find another game I can access, Anet doesn't risk losing my attention so my money comes right back with the continued enticement of new items and content; that's smart business.
If I recommend the game to a casual player, I like that GW2 can top the list since I know the f2p will let me take them on a grand tour and have some fun together with just enough envy of my toons coolness to pique their interest while not simultaneously punishing them for not handing over a credit card immediately.
I like that young-blood players can cut there teeth on a really great, and as far as I'm concerned strongest of all, dragon themed mmos (which is saying something considering that's even standing against DDO, who should reign supreme in this category but absolutely does not) because they weren't deterred by a sub they couldn't pay for out of the gate.
And most importantly, I like that other players, ANY players, have to opportunity to access skins, content and QoL items through the gameplay itself if they need or choose to; there's enough economic strife in the RL right now without making people on a tight budget have to live the tight-budget life in Tyria.
To the best of my knowledge, no other mmo can bring all of those brags to the table - why the kitten would you EVER want to ruin that with a sub that will ultimately, as it always does, drag the whole game down?

TL;DR: No.
<Insert Tracy Morgan emphatically saying 'no' gif here>

Edited by Obnoxa.6702
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think a large part of Gw2's playerbase is here exactly because they do not want to play an mmo with a subscription model.

I started playing this game as a broke kitten student. I bought the expansions, yes, but even HoT when it came out was less than a quarter of a year's worth of monthly fees of €15. I would never have kept playing this game, nor bought the expansions, if I felt I would at some point feel the need to get a sub to keep playing.

Because there was no sub, I stayed with the game and bought all expansions up to now. I can afford more now. (All ultimate too except HoT and now JaW.) But I would spend less on the game with a sub, because right now I have more money, but less time. I'd probably not have bought JaW at all if I felt I'd also need a sub to play it comfortably. There's months in which I don't play any gw2, and I never know that at the start of the month. No sub keeps me returning and buying expansion, even if I'm not sure if I'll finish the content before the next expac comes out, because I know it will still be there for me if I will have time in the future.

I could buy expacs for broke-kitten friends and from that moment on, we can play together. That's also a way to keep people with the game: here I play with my friends. They might be broke, but I spend money on the game. If I can't play here with them, I might move to a non-mmo game that we could play together.

GW2 caters to a population that, whether through time or money constraints, does not want to pay a sub. Gw2 is always there for you if you want it. And that's what keeps it fanbase coming back.

Edited by Flowersunshine.7385
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1