This expac is omega doomed

4 hours ago, LichOverlord.6329 said:

Wtf is wrong with the community and vibe of GW2 content creators...?

What is wrong is that most no longer present GW2 as a main-MMO but a in-between-playing-other-games MMO, because the content no longer qualifies for an MMO home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

On 9/6/2024 at 11:29 PM, Mithral.8516 said:

Ah gee, what possible reason could we have for acquiring multiple precursors?

Well, I can think of several reasons for this. I have already mentioned one of them, but not the only one.

Oh right, there's a highly active player economy, and many players will make two and sell one, obviously. 

Standing Stones Timepiece is a back item. There is no market for legendary back items. Because they cannot be sold, just like trinkets and armor. If Anet had wanted to change this principle, they would have already done so with the new legendary armor in SotO.

If you're in the habit of salvaging valuable items, contact support and beg them to return it, but don't act like they planned for you to delete it.

You apparently didn't understand what I wrote because I didn't destroyed it.

Apart from that: There was definitely a case (in the Ice Brood Saga) where many players destroyed an item (a kind-of-precursor, but not for something legendary) that they needed much later in content updates for a collection/weapon. Anet then made the destroyed item purchasable for those who had unlocked the skin. So there has already been a (nearly similar) case like this.

Adding minor story or even lore then slapping in land spear weapons as if the art of throwing a sharpened stick as a weapon was lost to time, revamping a mount for pve content with low replay value (Jw) and having a few new relics with more resources put into a homestead is not 30 bucks worth.

To me, it feels like the QoL and requested features like homesteads & spears was purposely removed from introducing into gw2 from gw1 just for a quick buck at the expense of the playerbase, even though there are a few reference skills to spears like Spear of Justice etc. The spears, at least on thief and a few classes , don't give me any hype because they are garbage. (Did the original team in gw1 pick things to leave out that should have been in game early release and bring later to gw2 for profit?)

This is not an expansion, it's an add on. I regret getting it gifted to me

I feel that it was lacking compared to soto.

Edited by Lithril Ashwalker.6230
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

On 9/4/2024 at 2:20 PM, WhiteSmoke.5926 said:

L Take

I was half way reading through, before I noticed my palm on its way to violently attach it self to my face. I need help dislodging it before it all goes Parasyte. I've had McDonald's fries with less salt than this... So much crust, KFC will sue you for stealing their recipe... But no FR what's your malfunction? :3

Edited by Kunavi.2407
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

So the franchise can't really be doomed, it lives off the long time fan base that finds it easy enough to stick around.

The sort of content they can still dish out is not my kind of thing, but I still like the world enough to pay the annual fee.

But ya this stuff has been tripe for a few years now. Guilty pleasure and all that.

Edited by Hashberry.4510
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, daw.4923 said:

no i clearly don't since every AAA game in last 20 years was selling for 60 euro at release. check steam buddy you will be surprised that prices of AAA games didn't rly changed. There are some companies which trying to push 70 euro or more but those are lunatics, all 2024 AAA games are for 60 euro and im quite sure that Anet is making pennies on actual copies of the game.

gem store and buying gold for gems is where they making money.. as they saying in Blizzard "that horse skin made more money that whole Star craft 2"

I like that part where you blaming "inflation" and you smh forgot about those 7 mounts, elite specs, new weapons, 9 maps , raids etc etc. true strawman.

do you even realize that WHOLE ICEBROOD SAGA WAS FREE?

No you clearly don't, going by the above comments that seems to suggest 7 years of inflation just gets absorbed by the inflation fairies.  Assumedly using your theory you think the content for $ spent should just remain the same for ever with no price changes. This is the reality of it:

Path of Fire $30 ...7 years inflation....Janthir Wilds $25 so expansions should be smaller even ignoring inflation. Now lets compare what we the customer pay in comparison to a competitor

GW2 over 7 years : $80 (very difficult to absorb costs when you have such a lean income base)

Wow over 7 years  $1380 (+ massive player base, which is why blizzard can absorb cost increases)

You should appreciate the fact Anet are not greedy instead of wanting the world for free..

Edited by Bladestrom.6425
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bladestrom.6425 said:

Path of Fire $30 ...7 years inflation....Janthir Wilds $25 so expansions should be smaller even ignoring inflation. Now lets compare what we the customer pay in comparison to a competitor

GW2 over 7 years : $80 (very difficult to absorb costs when you have such a lean income base)

Wow over 7 years  $1380 (+ massive player base, which is why blizzard can absorb cost increases)

If every player is a cheapskate yeah, but many aren't. I buy the most expensive version. I think that's 225€ for the past 3-4 years.
Also there's quite an amount of players who have several accounts. As in more than 2. Is that a thing in WoW too? 
And there's also gems for real money.

I think I spent about 500€ in the past 4 years. And I'm not alone.

Edited by Tula.6021
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hashberry.4510 said:

So the franchise can't really be doomed, it lives off the long time fan base that finds it easy enough to stick around.

The sort of content they can still dish out is not my kind of thing, but I still like the world enough to pay the annual fee.

But ya this stuff has been tripe for a few years now. Guilty pleasure and all that.

Annual fee? Wut?

2 hours ago, Tula.6021 said:

If every player is a cheapskate yeah, but many aren't. I buy the most expensive version. I think that's 225€ for the past 3-4 years.
Also there's quite an amount of players who have several accounts. As in more than 2. Is that a thing in WoW too? 
And there's also gems for real money.

I think I spent about 500€ in the past 4 years. And I'm not alone.

Yes, afaik WoW has multiboxer , a real money shop and as far as I understood their version of the gem/gold exchange too.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2024 at 9:20 PM, LichOverlord.6329 said:

Wtf is wrong with the community and vibe of GW2 content creators...?

To be fair, TeaPot and some of the creators around him are suffering from cranial-rectal syndrome and it spread to the people who take them as gospel. Just look at the OW builds on HS. "If CC is needed..." Context: CC Is needed past EoD. "If Boonstrip is needed..." Context: Boonstrip if you do Power DPS is vastly needed from SotO and onwards since Protection is so omnipresent and removing it is a 33% DPS increase, and for people so infatuated with DPS failing to communicate this is extremely weird.

In JW your second weapon should be ranged if you have one since there's a lot of area denial and ranged attacks and being able to do damage without pulling everything and being able to do damage in general is vastly better than a 50% increase that you never get to use.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Like 2

The only real concern is that the launch story arc just ends on a cliff hanger... which I guess is great for the content release schedule but that also means the world has to shine and IMO I believe it does. The OST is probably my second favorite in GW2 (Heart of Thorns is still #1 for me, and while I could listen to the final meta music of EoD on loop for days, I think JW edges it out. The first map feels like a place I'd go on vacation, some of the war claw abilities is fun to just navigate with and if it weren't for Roller Beetles would be my #1 mount. All the adventures makes me feel like its HoT again, lots of ideas and unique ways to do the renown hearts, that first map is worth the price of admission. The second map is lacking diversity in terms of the content. Each renown heart has a "Collect food and resources" a "Slay the elementals" and then you get maybe 1/2 lore building event chain that isn't the last meta.

Janthir Wilds does just enough to make me enjoy my time playing Guild Wars 2, without trying to accomplish something that Guild Wars 2 isn't or sell itself as something it never should be. It doesn't have to be 10/10, I don't even think its a particularly amazing expansion (so far), but the threads that I get to grab on to makes it a perfect fit for the kind of game I can enjoy at my own pace. Characters are great, story isn't the best tale ever told but its not stretching the lore ArenaNet has built over the past 10 years (I won't comment on GW1 threads here.)

PS: Please make Renown hearts that have been cleared at least once auto completed for FUTURE story journal quest lines... this happened in SotO, and it keeps bothering me that I spend a weekend exploring a beautiful world and doing renown hearts at least once only to go "You finished this yesterday and now the story journal wants you to do it again because you had to go to work/sleep? Tough luck"

13 hours ago, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

Adding minor story or even lore then slapping in land spear weapons as if the art of throwing a sharpened stick as a weapon was lost to time, revamping a mount for pve content with low replay value (Jw) and having a few new relics with more resources put into a homestead is not 30 bucks worth.

To me, it feels like the QoL and requested features like homesteads & spears was purposely removed from introducing into gw2 from gw1 just for a quick buck at the expense of the playerbase, even though there are a few reference skills to spears like Spear of Justice etc. The spears, at least on thief and a few classes , don't give me any hype because they are garbage. (Did the original team in gw1 pick things to leave out that should have been in game early release and bring later to gw2 for profit?)

This is not an expansion, it's an add on. I regret getting it gifted to me

I feel that it was lacking compared to soto.

It's your opinion. For me Soto and Eod was money thrown to the trash can. Janthir and Pof are the best expansions imo.

• Confused 1

On 9/4/2024 at 12:20 PM, WhiteSmoke.5926 said:

It's been two weeks, and I have no reason to go back to Janthir. I've completed all the achievements, tested most of the spears I was interested in, and the new relics are... as underwhelming as always.

This is the first time I'm playing a Guild Wars 2 expansion that doesn't feel like Guild Wars 2. It’s more of a solo RPG now.

Most of the resources have been poured into the homestead, which I don't care about (and you probably won’t either in a month because, like most poor people, you won't be able to afford this content).

The combat system feels like it's in maintenance mode now:

• Where are the new runes?
  • Where is the new food?
  • Where are the new stat combinations?
  • Where are the reworks for dusty features like utilities, runes (the first rework implementation is crap), fishing (I still lose charges when I’m forced to swap maps), fractals/infusions (helloooo!), the reward system in general (aren’t you tired of the game feeling like an incremental game?), and the stat imbalance (3 stats for power vs. 2 stats for condition damage, etc.)?

This expansion is completely lacking in innovation.

In two months, this expansion will feel like Grothmar Valley (at least in Grothmar, the meta event gives you valuable items!).

I remember that Heart of Thorns brought elite specializations, break bars, meta events, raids, a new boon system, a trinity system, 4-stat combination gear, masteries, a NEW CLASS, the guild hall system, fractal reworks, adventures, map bonus rewards... and Path of Fire added mounts, barriers, bounties, and more of what HoT offered. And not just at launch, but with every patch/episode! Everything was on the table, there was a determination to push this game far forward.

Even Secrets of the Obscure changed the rune system, added relics, and revamped the old and putride daily login rewards system. It wasn’t much, but it was something.

Is the future of Open World content really just going to be no meta events or a leech fiesta?

For the first time, I can’t recommend an expansion to my friends. "Come spend all your gold on the homing system instead of making your character progress? UwU"

Do you really think you’ll attract new players with story content when there are so many insane solo RPGs released every month? It makes no sense, GW2 is not competitive in that area.

Two weeks of massive gaslighting isn’t going to change my opinion. The community has never been this quiet for an expansion launch (I’m talking about the small content creators, not the paid ones), and it’s not because of WoW!

After reading through the comments I have 0 idea why people are memeing on you.

I was done with this expac 2 weeks after launch aswell. Played maybe 3/4 hours a day, longer on the weekends.

The content was extremely light. For the people saying it's only 25% of the content. It's more like 50% if we use soto as an example. 

I would have been done sooner with the expac if it want for the god awful heart quests for 14 days. ( I don't mind hearts but dam the second map hearts are so so so so so so so so so so bad)

Homesteads are cool but lack lucker.

The relics are mid af.

Spears are cool but I would prefer elite specs or core class revamp

No raids/instance content on launch is a complete fail. Even a fractal would have been nice(but we all know how bad the last 2 are)

No real grind or leggy spear or back. We have 0 idea what we need it's just guess work.

I'm a vet player and have played since launch. Over 15k hours. This expac isn't for me.

So OP I'm with you dude. This expac is totally lacking 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Hsanrb.1570 said:

The only real concern is that the launch story arc just ends on a cliff hanger... 

I like that since it means that JW will tell one cohesive story with tendrils rather than like they did in SotO where it was two separate stories. This resulted in the massive waste of Cerus and two story lines that felt rushed.

I think the idea for that came from the positive response people had to the same setup in LW s4. The reality is that the Tropes are doing a lot of the heavy lifting and Joko is reduced to a joke because you're unable to keep a kingdom in existence for 250  years. For example, having a human Vizir who handled the day-to-day business was brilliant because the only one who knew what a living human would need was another living human.

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2024 at 8:39 PM, Teknomancer.4895 said:

Maintenance Mode is not what you think it is.

OK, so what plausibly useful and non-duplicative suggestions do you have here? The stuff we have so far is pretty comprehensive.

Here is pretty much the only place you have a somewhat valid point.

Same here, there's just not much in the available options that I feel like working with. When there are more options available, I'll take another look but for now it can wait.

Runes

• There is no rune that increases alacrity duration, and only one that provides quickness (Firebrand Rune). There's an objective reason why you rarely see offensive support classes like Mirage, Willbender, or Berserker: it’s too difficult to obtain the right amount of boon duration without sacrificing a significant amount of DPS. It would be easy to create 10 rune sets that address this issue, one each for power, condition, healer, tank, and celestial builds, for both alacrity and quickness.
  • Some runes became useless after SotO because they lost important stats (like the Traveler Rune). They should remove the movement speed bonus and bring back the 10% condition duration.
  • Power runes are well-balanced, but condition and healer runes are not. Every support build uses the Monk Rune, and many condition builds use the Trapper Rune, even those that primarily focus on a single condition. Why? Because flat condition and boon duration are completely overpowered. These stats should be replaced with Expertise and Concentration.
  • Additionally, not all runes are available on the Trading Post. The Monk Rune can only be obtained from dungeons, and the Trapper Rune can only be crafted and is account-bound. This greatly hinders player progression, yet it’s never addressed.
  • Some runes are strictly better than others, such as the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_the_Pack  and the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_the_Chronomancer
  • And this is just a small part of the problems with the rune system. It's so obvious, I don’t understand why it's never addressed.

Stats combinations

• There are many stat combinations that are never used. Some could be updated, like the Nomad set—having Toughness as a major attribute makes it useless, but if it had Healing Power instead, it could be more viable.
  • There’s also no stat combination in the game that includes both Expertise and Healing Power.
  • Many interesting stat combinations exist in PvP that aren't available in PvE, like the Heretic and Paladin stats, which could be really useful.
  • A new type of stat combination with three major and three minor attributes could be introduced, which would be interesting for hybrid builds.
  • Additionally, there’s no Ferocity or Celestial infusion available in the game.
  • The infusion system itself is rarely touched, and much more could be done to make it more useful (adding xp and karma buff, ...)
  • I’m just scratching the surface, there’s a lot more to discuss.

Food

• There are many specific food and utility items missing in ascended form, such as those offering effects like 15% burning duration and +100 condition damage, or the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bowl_of_Fancy_Potato_and_Leek_Soup
  • There is no ascended utility in the game.
  • Additionally, only scribe-crafted utility food can be placed on the ground.
  • Most builds use the same utility. For example, all healer builds use the https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bountiful_Maintenance_Oil because it’s incredibly overpowered.
  • The bonuses from ascended food are unbalanced, the life-steal food is widely used because it adds extra damage.
  • Years ago, there were utilities that converted 10% of your Vitality into Power or Condition Damage, which was great for builds that could benefit from more Vitality, like those using Valkyrie stats.
  • Once again, these are just a few of the basic issues.

Each of these topics deserves a full article on its own. Many of these systems haven't been updated in years, which affects both build viability and the game's economy.

However, my post wasn't focused on just these issues, but rather the broader picture. The game's combat system has barely evolved over the past few years, as if it's being treated as a secondary aspect of the game. In this regard, Janthir Wild feels stagnant.

• Like 6
  • Confused 3

On 9/5/2024 at 9:46 PM, rylien.3824 said:

Concretely, would you recommend to someone who is interested in the story, who left the game during End of Dragons, to come back for Janthir Wilds ? To expect quality, and an interesting scenario ? Or would you tell him to run ? 🤨

For me playing Guild Wars 2 for the story is like going to a Fast Food Restaurant for the burger bun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 9/5/2024 at 10:10 PM, TheNurgle.4825 said:

I think majority of ppl on GW2 forums really underestimate how much casual is GW2 and same goes for GW2 player population. Casual player base in general do not search any information about game outside of game itself. You can see it in builds like getting easy build with right stats and low APM is not that hard and some ppl can not even do that.

It's not about casual vs. veteran players. Nobody is creating content about Janthir Wilds because after visiting the map once and finishing the story, you've seen everything. Nobody is coming back. Janthir Wilds has almost no impact on the game, it's transparent content.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

48 minutes ago, WhiteSmoke.5926 said:

It's not about casual vs. veteran players. Nobody is creating content about Janthir Wilds because after visiting the map once and finishing the story, you've seen everything. Nobody is coming back. Janthir Wilds has almost no impact on the game, it's transparent content.

Believe it or not, there are many veteran players still here that are also casual players. The time I put in the game and buildcrafting, I'm not sure I'd strictly consider myself casual, but I don't do instanced PVE or sPVP anymore. I've been around since beta (taking one long break to start a family, nothing game related) and have since been a OW, RP, WVW, and GW lore enthusiast. And I've rarely gotten bored here. I'm still enjoying the maps, exploring zones (old and new) with the new warkitty, and taking my spear to OW and WVW regularly. JW has had a pretty big impact on WVW and OW gameplay with spear builds and fair impacts on revisions to renown hearts, RP and RPG story elements, Tyrian politics and world lore, and judging from Reddit posts and YT videos, housing as well. There are some sick homesteads being posted with guides.

It might not be your type of content, but that doesn't mean it's not having positive impacts on others' enjoyment. We definitely keep coming back; always lots of people around for events. Always a spear to dodge or throw at someone. I mean, I haven't even made new spear builds for all my toons to do the JW maps yet! Still so much to do! So many builds to test and people to, um... character avatars to skewer with my pointy stick and savage 2-lance warkitty!

I've said these before, and I'll say them again:

1. Lowland Shore is amazing, and I keep going back to visit, just for fun. I don't even do achievements that much while there, because the zone is so filled with kodan lore and stories to listen to, or books to read. I can experience it over and over again in different ways with different characters or friends.
  2. Janthir Syntri can use some work to make the events more diverse and add more lore discoveries. More event chains and better rewards to support them. It can also use some event frequency updates along with more types of events. I hope Anet enriches this zone and makes the rewards for the events and bosses worth it.
  3. The expac is more than just the new maps or even PVE. Websites and players in other game modes are STILL learning the ins and outs and enjoying new content, like spear builds, housing, warkitties, relics, rotations, reward systems, housing, and skins.
  4. The difficulty balance for the new maps is pretty good. Some decent challenges for solo players but nothing groups can't overcome. I'd like to see some tweaks for the purple goo to pressure ranged builds a bit more and not overly punish melee builds so much.
  5. In 2 months, the instance PVE people will be going nuts with new builds and content. I hope the new raid will satisfy them. I'm kinda looking forward to the new convergence and relics, but I'm not hurting for things to do until then.

Shoutout here to my fiends and the GW2 community in general for making this journey special, and much more than the sum of the game' parts. That is the true mark of a great MMORPG. Don't forget the people that help give the game world life. Anet, thanks for giving us some really great content to experience in different ways, and please buff the Syntri and map rewards some more. 💜

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

On 9/4/2024 at 3:15 PM, calva.2914 said:

I feel like GW2 more people just play the game than watch it. As the games main audience is casual, why would they waste their time watching someone else play it when they can just play it. 

I say that about any game, but clearly iam missing something regarding this trend

1 minute ago, Knighthonor.4061 said:

I say that about any game, but clearly iam missing something regarding this trend

Some games have alot of popular streamers. It's not really about the game itself, it's about what popular streamers choose to stream. If shroud and some other popular streamers play WoW alot or all the time it will generate views for that game. It's very simple really. If many of those popular streamers choosed GW2 it would be a popular streamed game in one instant.

GW2 does not have popular streamers sadly. Mukluk and teapot are not really that popular, they have like 2-3k viewers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5