A New PvP Mode is Coming to Guild Wars 2--We Need Your Help Developing It!

Unpopular opinion probably but ive already lost a lot of interest hearing its another objective-based mode. The reason im not interested in conquest isnt because its "too much to learn" but because the thing i enjoy about fighting other players is FIGHTING OTHER PLAYERS, not trying to avoid other players to stand inside some goofy silly capture points.
I want to feel the THRILL and GLORY of combat, not the glory of pushing some barrel across a field. How many gems do i need to buy for a simple
, 1v1 arena dueling mode you can que into? Just being locked in on a fight, no distractions, no BS happening around you, no being jumped by 3 other players.
GW has like the best combat system out of all the mmorpgs and for some reason it seems youre trying your hardest not to make use of it and turn it into some weird moba spinoff instead
, i dont get it.  If you made a survey, I wonder how many players would say they enjoy all the base capture stuff and dont just see it as an obstacle to the actual fun: combat. Oh well, its a step in the right direction atleast going from 3 to 1 "bases" and the main gameplay not being to run circles around players anymore.

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

I'm not here to give opinions or make suggestions, there's 3 years of threads you guys can catch up on if that's the route you'd like to take. 

I do wish you luck in your new scenario though, I hope it turns pvp around, genuinely. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I just had opened the stream (devs playing the mode) a bit. Unfortunately busy with other stuff - tomorrow as well (EU time zone). So I prefer to play a bit more GW2 instead of watching the stream. I am sure though a lot of people will talk about it later.

I think there was just a match ending on timer. And that is a main concern for me: If this is about pushing (and being pushed back) the mode needs to make sure that the timer actually is something that only gets used in rare cases (as fail-safe measure if there is no real winner). The mode itself needs to make it so that most of the matches actually get won normally.

In conquest unless it is super-balanced and the nodes being contested a lot ... you usually end up with one team reaching 500. The base idea of the push ging ... feels more like at ideally balanced teams it would trigger the timer running out in most of the cases.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2024 at 7:58 PM, Parasite.5389 said:

Perhaps we should consider modifying Keg-brawl and Southsun Survival to work in PvP

I had some further thoughts if we're looking to add more Casual, "Fun" game modes to pvp maybe we could add a new catagory.
Currently we have Ranked and Unranked, should there be a "Downtime" catagory, something to play inbetween matches, to unwind and de-stress?

we could even add some extra bonuses to playing these smaller game-modes like a boost to Reward track xp for playing X-number of games between matches

• Like 2

Remembered me the old deathmatch map "courtyard": in that map usually one team got advantage and then snowballed the other up to the respawn gate (which could have been prevented making 5 mini-waves of 3 minutes). That never happened and became a snowballing fest.

This seems similar: you will never recover against a atrong team and if is balanced you will have 15 minutes of stagnation ending in a 0-0. "Super exciting". I think that making a DOTA match putting PvE creeps as towres (Lupicus, bounty Champions, bosses, etc) and unlocking the runes, sigils and relics along the game would heve been more fun for casual players, but harder to program. I doubt this will engage PvE players enough to let recover the PvP population. I think that the 3 v3 nini leagues are better...

So a PvP game mode where roamers don't have sense. Duelists neither.
PvP problems are matchmaking, duo queue, wintraders and all the thing you cna read in 10+ years of topics on this subforum. Put the same developement into something that can solve those problems instead of giving us another future dead game mode that doesn't teach any of the things you said confuse new players (and also is pretty much unplayable by any non-teamfighter build).

I'm honestly amazed you can resort to this instead of really doing the fixes the community is asking since ages. I'm tempted to boycot the beta (and ask other people to do that too), but i fear that you'll take every non-partecipation to the beta as a person who isn't interested in pvp, wich i'm obv not. Conquest is good, Anet. It's fine. Solve its problems: put some popups that teach players map control, teamwork, no feeding etc. and listen to the actual feedback we gave in the years without being asked to. Remove duo queue in ranked, put up some decent afk detection systems, look at the reports that we make... We can bring pvp to a whole new level, Anet, mut this is not the way to do it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

On 9/5/2024 at 11:47 AM, Saiyan.1704 said:

I'm all for this but...

What's stopping 2 Chrono's + two bunker warriors from contesting the happy cloud thingy indefinitely?

Hopefully you got to tune into the stream today! If not, you'll be happy to know they've got some ideas for this. After a certain point in the match, there is a stacking debuff mechanic for anyone camping the capture point. This debuff increases incoming damage and decreases incoming healing for said players. The devs also said they will be keeping an eye on how well this performs or if it needs tweaks. 

In general, it seems like they're trying to encourage a different set of builds that we currently see in PvP, which I think is exciting!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

idk how manageable this is, but can we let the Map stay for custom Servers? even when the beta is finished people "could" organize and playarround with stronghold.
is it also possible to save the different versions of the map? some may remember we had multiple (?) versions of Skyhammer or old Clocktower.
Having the ability to atleast enjoy older versions of the maps on custom servers would be a great addition, and of course idk if you still have the files left but with the new Push mode you can directly save those versions.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Khalni.3864 said:

So a PvP game mode where roamers don't have sense. Duelists neither.
PvP problems are matchmaking, duo queue, wintraders and all the thing you cna read in 10+ years of topics on this subforum. Put the same developement into something that can solve those problems instead of giving us another future dead game mode that doesn't teach any of the things you said confuse new players (and also is pretty much unplayable by any non-teamfighter build).

I'm honestly amazed you can resort to this instead of really doing the fixes the community is asking since ages. I'm tempted to boycot the beta (and ask other people to do that too), but i fear that you'll take every non-partecipation to the beta as a person who isn't interested in pvp, wich i'm obv not. Conquest is good, Anet. It's fine. Solve its problems: put some popups that teach players map control, teamwork, no feeding etc. and listen to the actual feedback we gave in the years without being asked to. Remove duo queue in ranked, put up some decent afk detection systems, look at the reports that we make... We can bring pvp to a whole new level, Anet, mut this is not the way to do it.

Listening to the wrong negative fan feedback can ruin games. Developers need to be careful not to listen to people who will never be satisfied no matter what they do. Those people exist and are often the loudest.

Of course feedback is helpful but not from people who think they have the developmental details figured out themselves, demanding things under threats of boycott. 

The new mode is clearly a step in the right direction. I'm  suspicious they might be testing things out in GW2 so they have a better idea of what will work in a future game. If they are developing a new game I doubt they want to rehash everything in GW2. It would be helpful to test new ideas now, within an active system.

Edited by MangyBSTRD.5921
Not excusing the state of PvP in GW2 or ANet
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 9/5/2024 at 9:57 PM, shoop.3829 said:

This is a cool idea, and I'm excited to try it! However, I feel like the biggest barrier to entry in PvP right now isn't the game mode or map mechanics, it's the overwhelming dominance of optimized builds and more experienced players. I used to be a casual but consistent PvP player (usually ranked high silver/low gold), but I haven't been playing much lately. I picked it back up for PvP Rush week and barely got the full rewards because it was just so frustrating! Sometimes I felt like my teammates and I were just being farmed by the other team, we couldn't even get to the capture points without getting 1-shot. I'm worried this imbalance won't be addressed for the Push mode, and more casual players will spend so much time dying or respawning that we won't get to enjoy the new mechanics much at all.

A PvP mode is supposed to reward effort and no participation, there is no imbalance in that.

5 hours ago, Crackz.5278 said:

I don’t see how this new PvP mode will save ranked PvP. Currently, matchmaking in ranked games is getting worse and worse, and I don’t see any solution for the point differences in matchmaking.

No...a new game mode won't save PvP, simply because the GW2 community is uncompetitive and unsportsmanlike. Effort and time spent are not rewarded...there is nothing here to remember the likes of GW1