Guild Wars vs GW2

I voted the Original GuildWars.There's alot to cover, so forgive the wall of text.

Let's start with the original GuildWars, My first brush with the original game, was brutal, it was punishing in ways i had not encountered before in a video game, more than likely because i had almost exclusively played shooters, dungeon crawlers and platformers, The difficulty for a person who had no prior experience with this type of game, or gameplay, and jumped into it head first without anyone to play it with.I started playing about 2 month's into the release of the first expansion Factions, I sucked - truth be told, for at least a few months, because the idea of looking at a desciption to find out what your weapons did (skills) was practically foreign to me.When i finally got used to the game however, it held me tight, and didnt let go untill i had rounded my 7th ingame birthday, I met a metric ton of people, some whom i liked more than others, i spent time on the GuildWarsGuru forums (oh the nostalgia of a properly managed forum...), i mostly dabbled in the PvE aspects of the game, wich means i (sadly) didnt get to experience what has been described to me by virtually Everyone i've ever talked to who pvp'd in GuildWars, was the Best pvp, they had ever played, and to this day, alot of them, after playing countless other games, many of them MMO's, still hold GuildWars PvP as the all time best they ever played.

For me, PvE was alot of things, you had titles to aquire, and eventho only a brave few of them actually Offered you something (like ranking up a PvE only skill, that got better the higher your title rank was), Everyone i know whos played it, and most of those ive met, agree's that there was asense of pride, and acchievement in obtaining them, eventho they did nothing for you, In contrast, GuildWars2, does a piss poor job with titles, and while some like it, the Acchievement system, while a nice addition to the GuildWars franchise, simply didn't meet the standard that had already been set.Titles in GuildWars were fun, and difficult to obtain, in ways that made people desire them, GuildWars2 doesn't, as virtually the only two titles worth having, are fractal goddess (if you're a female character), and God Walking Among Mere Mortals (GWAMM), wich is a title you gain From GuildWars.

Mini's was another thing GuildWars did better than GuildWars2, as the latter has most pets hiding behind content that only rewards it account bound, and as such it makes it a complete niche thing, that was so much deeper, and valued by the community in GuildWars, than it is in GuildWars2.

GuildWars didn't always have a hardmode, and before it did, the game Was getting alittle stale, this however changed on a massive scale when HardMode was introduced abit into the Nightfall Expansion (2nd expansion).We suddenly had all the story missions in a harder version with different rewards, better rewards.We had the zones, each and every one of them - now with a Vanquishing option, for HardMode, the goal simple - kill everything in the zone.We had Elite Areas (the raids of GuildWars) that now had a much harder version.PvE opened up to become alot broader than it previously was, and give people a choice, rather than punish those who addapted quick, or completed something quickly, they were given a choice to take on a bigger challenge, and to challenge those that would dare say they were better, all this - came without a single downside for the casual player, who didnt want to play HM, because they could simply buy the stuff the HM players got.

The skill system we had in GuildWars, was absolutely spectacular, one of a kind, the only system close to it when it comes to originality, the way it was set up, and the overall execution, is Black Desert Onlines combo system and action combat, sadly that game has no soul compared to, well, practically any other MMO.I know that they claim they tried with that system in guildwars2, when they hid certain skills behind bosses and stuff early on, however that was one piss poor attempt if it can even be called that. anyone with a day spent playing both games, would know that there simply wasnt enough skill diversity and choice in GuildWars2, to support that system, either more skills would need to be added (wich they didnt) or the idea should've been scrapped and the reasoning made clear.The Elite Specializations barely do anything to mend that, eventho its clear to anyone who played GuildWars that, that was precisely the goal with Elite Specializations.It could still be mended, but they're not likely to listen to critisism or critical feedback, sadly.

GuildWars had an AMAZING gear system, where even i, someone who sucked for at least a few months, still aquired end game stat gear, before i thought to look at my skill descriptions and get guud, to put it short, you could play for a day as a novice who - looks at their skills, and you'd likely be in Droknar's Forge in less than 24 hours, without help, and there you could buy end tier statted gear, from a vendor.In contrast, GuildWars2, made a giant overhaul there, aiming to suck people in for longer (eventho that was never a problem with GuildWars) by having gear take longer to aquire, this ''somewhat'' was okay, right untill GuildWars2 took a swandive into a mountainside, when they added Ascended gear, the reason for this is really simple. when it takes as long as it does to level to 80, and aquire just alittle bit of gold (for the vast majorty, we're not all a golden moa), obtaining a full set of exotic gear still costs you a decent amount of gold (if you want a full set of exotic gear (armor, weapons, accessories/trinkets/necklace/backpiece) and runes/sigils, you're easily looking at 100+ gold, wich is manageable by almost everyone, Ascended gear is between 350 and 400 gold at the prices set on the TP as i write this, and thats just for the amor.The ascended stats being added, essentially ruined any chance that a truly casual player (the ones they keep claiming the game is made for) would be able to aquire a full set all included for one of each class, much less be able to play several different builds on all classes, as you could in GuildWars, with relative ease.

GuildWars didnt have jumping, swimming, mounts, or jumping puzzles - but the things it did have, it did Extraordinarily Well, where GuildWars2, has only really done that for one thing in my optics, and thats mounts (eventho i dont think a pure true flyer should've ever been added), and that's because the mounts are all unique not only in looks, but speed, purpose, and utility, something no other MMO that i know of, have managed to do past flyer vs non-flyer.

GuildWars held me for over 7 years, i never got bored, i had a million things to do, i played everyday, for hours and hours.GuildWars2 held me in SPvP for 6 months, and then i quit untill Spirit Vale was released in HoT, and after beating Sabetha, i quit then aswell, i only recently returned (2 months ago), and i dubt with the way content is being (or rather not being) delivered at the moment, that i'll stay for too long after beating all the raids, doing the CM's and running a dungeon or two solo.

TL;DR GuildWars was like the first 4-5 seasons of Game of Thrones in terms of depth and replayability, GuildWars2 is like Season 8, rushed, unfinished, and way too short.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@eye floater.7140 said:Anyone who has been around since Guild Wars: Have you enjoyed GW2 as much or more than Guild Wars? I don't just mean your hour count, but the experience overall.

This is like comparing Warcraft 3 to World of Warcraft.They two different genres in the same IP Story continuation. That's all. Totally different genre of games. One is an Action Co-op RPG and the other is a MMORPG

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Torolan.5816 said:*The skill aquisition of GW1 was a piece of art, nothing less. I am pretty astounded that people did not ask more for it here as it would be a very good measure of testing skill instead of equipment(Whoever has the X skill has managed to defeat Y). and it was actual fun to get them for both explorers, collectors and min-maxers.

Players did ask for it in GW2. Then Anet implemented it in the form of a system where you had to earn traits by beating specific bosses, completing mini dungeons, or things like capturing a keep in WvW, just like in GW1 where completing quests or killing bosses and using a Signet of Capture on them unlocked new skills.

It was probably one of the least popular updates ever made and they reverted the system a few months later because of non-stop complaints about how terrible it was.

Wow I forgot all about that and how terrible that new player experience thing was.

For me, Gw1 is better due to various reasons.

In GW1 the player can create a lot more builds than in GW2, and a player can tailor a build to an individual playstyle.In Gw1 there is A PvE PvP skill division, PvP skill balance doesn't hinder the PvE aspect of the game.Gw1 has great dungeons with an interesting back story.The story is more engaging and interesting in GW1.GW1 has better support characters. I loved koss, melonni and thalkora relationship.

In GW2 the player can jump and the controls are tighter, there are events on timers, those events don't really change anything in the world, it's just something to do.The heart quests are bland and the personal quest is rather boring.

I'm sorry for going off topic but I think that if gw2 had something like the secret world ability wheel and storytelling it could have been the best game ever created.

GW2 is a sequel that lives in the same world but has its own set of pros and cons compared to GW1 and there's so much different between the two that I like each for their own reasons.

GW1:

• The ability to tailor builds to specific content. Different builds for farming different things, but in a game where enemies used the same skills players did, this is why it was very exciting and variable. But this also had a lot to do with specific non-ranked PvP maps that were my end-game in GW1: Fort Aspenwood, Jade Quarry, and Alliance Battles. I spent much of my time there, and I lament the fact that GW2 seems to only care about Conquest, saying nothing of how WvW is treated.
  • Skill Specificity: An offshoot of above, but it really gave GW1 its "build the deck" feel and along with the attribute system I will respect and love it to pieces till the day I die xD
  • PvP: It was a whole different ball game and it was so rewarding to learn. When you finally made your build work and be viable it was just... such a nice feeling.
  • Hard Mode: After about 2 years of playing through the game on normal I started to do the HM content where you really needed players instead of Heroes because they would typically make better choices. It meant something to do things together and GW2 suffers in promoting group play even in small settings. (Varies per game mode).
  • Reputation and Title Tracks: Honestly, I know this is super polarizing, but I feel the way GW1 did titles was less grindy than other games available at the time and treated you fairly for your time spent acquiring them. Some titles were nice and prestigious like Survivor and GWAMM notably, though others were more grindy and served as market movers and gold sinks, also important parts of the game. Also, the titles had skills that would improve as they got better and that was always neat to me.
  • Elemental Damage types: It was so fun to see Fire and Holy types do crazy damage to undead and plants, etc. I liked being able to factor that in to builds and in PvP as well.
  • Unique Enchantments and Hexes: This really refined the "Boon/Condition" play that I find is watered down in GW2, but this is also where they split mechanically and pivoted their target audience.
  • Setting up the World: The world building here is very solid and I wish more focus was put on this in GW2.
  • Professions: Felt very distinct and could do many more varied and crazy builds just alone or as a Main/Secondary build. I miss it so very, very much.

GW2:

• Freedom of Movement: It's such a big deal that nearly everyone else in here has posted about it, and for good reason. GW1 can't compare here. Mounts/gliding included.
  • Combat Fluidity: Even though GW2 suffers in build diversity and roles due to it's paradigm shift from GW1 (though build diversity has improved massively in all game modes after expansions and new attribute combos), it's made up for it with the action combat that makes it my favorite MMO bar none. Even if I wish it would ask more of its players, it's still wonderful and wouldn't be the same without my next point.
  • Dodging: It's rewarding to do it correctly, and makes you try harder when you get knocked around. Feels good.
  • Continual Expansion of the World: Through the story missions and maps we have been given to date, it feels nice to have it fleshed out in a more modern setting. People have their own opinions about the story's direction and quality, but over all I have seen it improve since launch and am pleased to have the opportunity to explore more of Tyria and her secrets.
  • The many, many more skins available to customize your characters is welcome though I have a massive bone to pick with GW2's marketing and gemstore, though please no one get into this, it's not somethin I want to talk further about here.
  • The sense of scale here is way beyond what was available mechanically in the first game and I'm always a sucker for how nicely the team can "wow" us with their settings.
  • Skill Animations: I know this is a controversial thing, but I am pretty happy with how neat they look here. Yes, it can be a lot to look at with even a few people in the same fight to downright incredible disco raves when it's a WB or meta, but it's still neat!

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:I greatly like both of them. But if I have to pick one, it will be the first series. Guild Wars.

• I like the freedom of choice, choose out of a set of 1319 skills. (two professions at a time) The fact that Guild Wars 2's skills are bound to specific weapons was a major disappointment to me and was the reason I stopped playing for more than a year. The original Guild Wars truly allowed me to create some great builds that were both effective and fitted the way I like to play.
  • I like the epic storyline missions. Nothing ever came close to the feeling of being in an epic journey as the storyline missions of Prophecies.
  • The title system and hall of monuments.
  • Far more player-to-player tradable items. This makes the economy and trading more exciting. In GW2 much is bound to account or character.

Nowadays, I mostly play GW2, for good reasons.

• This is where the action is.
  • Having obtained GWAMM, I feel like I'm mostly done with GW1.
  • Guild Wars 2 looks way better in every aspect, has a far better game/rendering engine and a has beautiful characters / character customization system.
  • Far more freedom of movement, including underwater exploration, gliding and mounts.
  • The achievement system.
  • A decent auction house. In GW1, we're still shouting WTB/WTS in Spamadan.

GW 2 is better and more refined in almost every way compared to GW 1. It gives more importance to wep and skill choice than the plethora of useless or ineffective abilities in GW 1. Aside from that... jumping and swimming came with the base game and that alone puts GW 2 above between the two.

I can't really pick one over the other. GW1 has tons of nostalgia value--it was my first MMO-style game, and I devoted time to my main through middle and high school. There was a lot to love about it. GW2 has been the same way through my early and mid 20's. I could pick out things I liked better about GW1, and things I like better about GW2... but at the end of the day, they both take place in the same world I grew up loving.

to me guild wars will always be superior in allot of things.

• well enough balanced without leaving professions out
  • plenty of freedom to build templates without being stuck with designated slots
  • far better armor styles (less duplicates too)
  • allot more immersive
  • a more believable story
  • more diverse weapon skins
  • allot more tactical oriented
  • allot less based on an online store (so allot is achieved in-game)
  • quests (so no boring hearts or predictable DE's)
  • heroes/henchman (for times of no players around)

in the end, GW2 is nowhere near a better game, the ability to jump in GW2 being a good feature is just to show how horrible Anet actually did their job if that's a good part of the game.

Guild Wars player here

Guild Wars obviously

so much so that the new mmo game Atellia has borrowed healthy competitive elements and ideas from it

so yea!!

Guild Wars until this day, remain a true Legend and an Inspiration to the gaming community.

Once again, Bravo Guild Wars!!-deserve an hour cheering novation--

Enjoy :)

@The Ace.9105 said:

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:The lack of no content aside from fighting. Many forget that there was absolutely nothing to do aside from fighting. There were no traditional professions like in other MMOs, no fishing, no housing, no mining or crafting in a usual manner. There
was
crafting, but it was just buying/finding mats and putting it together. Also the guild hall system was very rudimentary with just buying features with gold and that's it.

Okay, now explain what gw2 has if we forget about mining?

Also, how does gw2 do things any different? :D

Gw2 doesn't have meaningful content outside of fighting and the content is time gated unlike gw1 content, the game doesn't have traditional professions nor the traditional MMO combat, no fishing, no housing, crafting is pretty much like it was in gw1 but there's just a lot more stuff where you go to trading post, buy the mats and put them together or better yet, buy the thing from tp without the need to craft it at all.

The guild hall system in gw2 requires gold and some materials to expand it but they really didn't figure out any functions for guild halls since there's no gvg which was the main focus of guild halls in gw1.

Roleplaying as a quaggan doesn't count. Gw1 had tonics too.

I don't think so. Crafting is far more complex with levelling, different crafting professions and tierd materials. Also, there is a levelling system with the guild hall, even with its own crafting profession called the Scribe. There are also: adventures, guild missions, activities. True, those are rather abandoned projects (which is something that haunts Anet's products since the beginning), but still there is more to do than just that. You didn't even have cooking.