How to have fun in WvW?

whoknocks.4935

@"whoknocks.4935" said:Hey, I am a solo roamer guy, I play holosmith, spellbreaker and dragonhunter mainly.

Lately I am not having fun anymore because I always find those stupid builds like perma stealth deadeye impossible to counter. I get them to 10% they go 5000 range in a couple of seconds resetting the battle and returning again oneshotting you.

Same story for mirages, the damage is broken and I know can be avoided but they have too many ways to evade and escape and make the oneshot rotation again if the first time failed.Fights with other roamers are not fun and engaging when there are always those profession around, which add you immediately even saying "git gud".

That's really makes yourself even more mad that those profession have such a low risk high reward factor.

I know dh spellbreaker and holo are easy to play as well, but they are far from being that cancer level of deadeye and mirage especially.

dont roam, i mean what u said u either run into shitty mirage or deadeye (even tho i dont have problem with deadeye) and they wreck u or constantly annoy you till u get behind some gates.

if ur like me and dont like blobbing and u wanna continue roaming all i can say is, im around the blobs nowadays i just pick people from the sides and kill them.is it fun nope not as i would like it to be.

1 miss step and i have 100 of condi's on me (i happend to be a thief a stubborn one that doesnt wanna play the shitty hide builds or other cheesecake crap) i cant cleanse half shit i get blown on me when i did a misstake near a blob.gw2 has turned into a instagib WvW.

u get either 1 shotted by roameror u get 100 condi's on your back and still die in 1 tick.

anet improved everything, except armor or HP or w/e so ye dmg keeps going up and up but my thief is going faster down then ever.i cant really blame deadeye/mirage people tho if they enjoy the class (thief/mesmer) they dont really get a choice beside these cheesecake 1 hit builds anet pushing people into this direction.

ofcourse u can play D/P thief ofcourse it will rock also but why play D/P if u can do it with a rifle from more range and more dmg

i dont really play much anymore since path of fire i played a bit last few days but i just cant stand this condition meta, i dont really understand how one can make necro so Overpowered. I mean is it rocketscience to see that 90% of blob exist out of necro's/guards.Ele's are outWarrior outrev who need rev when u have 100 corrupts flying aroundgo on stupid meta is going on right now and gotta deal with this shit

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roaming on eb will be dead as long as SM is as powerful as it is atm (claimbuff = 2 extra acs trinks, siege, portals & respawn). Also camps have 15 guards + watchtowers covering them making it almost impossible to flip with some classes.

There isnt enough population for border roaming outside primetime. You can run around hours without meeting decent enemies that aren't just doing dailies.

Doesn't help that deadeye, mirage (endurance regen food) and spellbreaker are pretty much cheese classes atm that just run away when low. Soulbeast has too much synergy with longbow, starting fight with someone hiding on walls and then jumping at you from ~1700 range dealing 5k+ crits isnt exactly balanced.

@reddie.5861 said:Ele's are outWarrior outrev who need rev when u have 100 corrupts flying around

ok cool, thank you i didnt notice. ill make sure to mention it next time i join a blob.

and to your other stuff, yes there is not more armor/hp but more healing, blocks, invulns, evades, mobility and for thief now there is improved permastealth with less counters then it used to have. the sustain in this game is so high if you build for it, that without a oneshot build you might not have enough burst to down some builds and good luck with sustained preassure. granted sustain buffs didnt come in armor / hp, but we also dont have alot more power / crit damage then we used to have.

@"Threather.9354" said:Roaming on eb will be dead as long as SM is as powerful as it is atm (claimbuff = 2 extra acs trinks, siege, portals & respawn). Also camps have 15 guards + watchtowers covering them making it almost impossible to flip with some classes.

There isnt enough population for border roaming outside primetime. You can run around hours without meeting decent enemies that aren't just doing dailies.

Doesn't help that deadeye, mirage (endurance regen food) and spellbreaker are pretty much cheese classes atm that just run away when low. Soulbeast has too much synergy with longbow, starting fight with someone hiding on walls and then jumping at you from ~1700 range dealing 5k+ crits isnt exactly balanced.

Speaking of having fun in wvw. Not classy, but I laughed when I did it, having fought this guy to stalemates multiple times earlier as druid.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Kk0rKHwPFtE

Imo there is no fun anymore in wvw, the condition spamming moronic builds/classes and the one shot power variants is just as boring as the bunker meta was.Pve doesn’t interest me the least so I haven’t bothered to log in for about a week now and quite frankly don’t really miss it.Anet made it really easy for me to quit the clown fiesta they’ve got going on in wvw right now.

well tbh the classes you have listed as playing: I am unsure about holosmith but spellbreaker and dragonhunter strikes me more as group fighters than solo roamers - both have tools that can do amazing things in a group but lacks some things that are really handy when solo.

so for your case my advice would be either finding yourself a group to tag along with or switch to the class that is better-suitable at solo-roaming.

• 2 weeks later...

I have fun roaming ( daredevil thief, Staff+P/P ).Some classes are hard for me ( mesmers are pretty impossible with my build but i can avoid them with basically no problems ), but even so I am enjoying roaming very much.

PS: many players ( mesmers and deadeyes mostly ) exploit with macro in order to teleport forward instead of backward ( ofc there could be also those who are always calm and skilled, and can manage do use the trick with single binds instead of macros, but whatever ), and this could result kinda annoying.

@"Gop.8713" said:Step one: Don't let getting killed bother you. The waypoints are free . . .Step two: Mission Accomplished! Glhf :)

^ a thousand +1's to this guy.Think solo roaming is dead? Go play with FA sometime. That's probably half of what our server does, and we are forever t1 or t2. Can't count the number of times that I have seen 3-20 of us show up randomly, be like "huh, there's now a bunch of us," take a few towers or a keep, then all melt back into a swarm of camp-takers and dollie killers. The sheer anarchy is just delicious.

One game I have found pretty fun (especially on our t1 weeks when we are SEVERELY outnumbered by BG and usually SOS) is to pick a camp, not take it, and then start killing every. single. dollie that tries to come through. Usually doesn't take long for enemies to come running out 1 by 1 to see what's happening. At that point, yay!, you've got some fights happening. This works especially well in EBG, usually by the last camp south on the east side. Added bonus: if you pull this off long enough, then nearby enemy towers become paper, making for easy captures for group players.

In general, try to get out and cause chaos. Pick areas where you can mitigate DE advantages (think line of sight blocking terrain features and npc's). Learn to pressure mirage's. Pick terrain that gives you advantage if you are trying to force a fight. Turn music off. Turn sound UP and listen for tells. Can't tell you how valuable it can be to hear a thief's black powder go off (prelude to a stealth attack). Everything in this game makes a sound. Use that to your advantage.

Watch your minimap. See a yak disappear? That means there is an enemy there. Watch around points that get swords and see what happens next (this can often tell you whether/where the enemy is going or staying). Look for red dots coming off sentries. Decide WHICH sentries to flip based on them looking out for you vs letting the enemy know you are there. Be Aware of what is going on around the map. This can often suggest where to go for fights or where to avoid.

Above all, follow step one above. Trying to solve (i.e. survive) impossible situations is what soloing is all about. Good luck.

@Legendary Defender.5631 said:

Anyway, our first duel went okay, but he was able to outside and me with his mobility and ability to soft-reset fights (without cheesing the duel) the duel, and just whittled me down. The second fight he got me low enough to proc my EP passive, soft-reset the fight and then did about 18k damage to me in his opener while I was stunned. Took about 2-3 seconds start to finish.

What is "Soft Reset"? Because it sounds a lot like "Kiting," which by no means is any form of a reset. Using the word reset puts it into a very negative context, as though you think kiting is unfair. I hope that is not the case.

Invis, teleport, kite chain, really. Yeah, it's technically "kiting", but is still used as a reset for CD's.

So, because they don't face tank, they are cheesing it?

Wasn't trying to imply that at all. Resetting fights or kiting is a good practice given the current climate of PvP, especially when dueling. It's cheesy when you do it numerous times a fight because you're bad and are relying on the ability to reset as a crutch, though.

It's not a crutch, though, it's a tactic. And a very fair one at that, because if I as a Thief was forced to stick to you as a Warrior, and not leave melee range the whole fight, the fight would be incredibly unfair in favor of the Warrior. If anything, things like EP, SoS and their passives are
much
more of a crutch.

Some say tactic others say cowardice and non-skill

Asking a thief to not use their teleports, evasions, stealth and kiting tools would be like asking a warrior to not block, dodge, or activate any damage invulnerabilities. And in that case the warrior would still have an advantage because they have a higher health pool and are naturally tankier. I don't especially enjoy fighting thieves (or mesmers) myself, but that's the tools they were given -- its not cowardice to be using them.

~ Kovu

Anyway, our first duel went okay, but he was able to outside and me with his mobility and ability to soft-reset fights (without cheesing the duel) the duel, and just whittled me down. The second fight he got me low enough to proc my EP passive, soft-reset the fight and then did about 18k damage to me in his opener while I was stunned. Took about 2-3 seconds start to finish.

What is "Soft Reset"? Because it sounds a lot like "Kiting," which by no means is any form of a reset. Using the word reset puts it into a very negative context, as though you think kiting is unfair. I hope that is not the case.

Invis, teleport, kite chain, really. Yeah, it's technically "kiting", but is still used as a reset for CD's.

Wasn't trying to imply that at all. Resetting fights or kiting is a good practice given the current climate of PvP, especially when dueling. It's cheesy when you do it numerous times a fight because you're bad and are relying on the ability to reset as a crutch, though.

It's not a crutch, though, it's a tactic. And a very fair one at that, because if I as a Thief was forced to stick to you as a Warrior, and not leave melee range the whole fight, the fight would be incredibly unfair in favor of the Warrior. If anything, things like EP, SoS and their passives are
much
more of a crutch.

And those that said tactic would be correct.

Running away is different.

I would call a thief or any other class that tries to face tank a warrior stupid. Maybe with some of the guardian specs as an exception.

much
more of a crutch.

This is a game . Playing a game does not make one a Coward or a non coward. Going into a burning house to rescue someone is an act of bravery. Playing a game where you neither stealth or dodge and never reset a fight is not. A reset so as to recover from cooldowns, no ini, exhaustion or hit point loss is one of the facets of this game and has a greater skill component then rolling up a class that has a 8000 HP advantage over another out of the gate.

As others have said, if you want to roam, you need to play a cheesy build.

That means you either abuse:

• stealth
  • 1-shot burst
  • mobility to reset the fight or run if it's going badly
  • condi spam
  • unkillable sustain / invulns / passives

or most likely a combination of those.

If you want to play a "normal" build ie. one that doesn't abuse any of those things, you'll always lose to good players that do.

@"whoknocks.4935" said:Hey, I am a solo roamer guy, I play holosmith, spellbreaker and dragonhunter mainly.

Lately I am not having fun anymore because I always find those stupid builds like perma stealth deadeye impossible to counter. I get them to 10% they go 5000 range in a couple of seconds resetting the battle and returning again oneshotting you.

Same story for mirages, the damage is broken and I know can be avoided but they have too many ways to evade and escape and make the oneshot rotation again if the first time failed.Fights with other roamers are not fun and engaging when there are always those profession around, which add you immediately even saying "git gud".

That's really makes yourself even more mad that those profession have such a low risk high reward factor.

I know dh spellbreaker and holo are easy to play as well, but they are far from being that cancer level of deadeye and mirage especially.

Wanna kill Deadeyes? play with sound on. You can hear every time their 1 shot is being fired before you can see them.Daredevils and regular thieves you should have an easy time with on your DH.

Mirages? oh boy. I dont know how DH or holo do against them, but my soulbeast build can do fairly well against them unless they are at my skill level ( which is very rare btw ). I think when playing against mirage youre FORCED to win the "mindgame". how do you do this? its not easy but i can try to explain.

You know how "bad" players who think they can win play TOO aggressive? they pop all their cooldowns.. and you dodge most of their stuff. then they have nothing left to defend themselves, and you win.

When i fight mirage, i usually have 2 strategies.

1, make them pop all their shit while im basically playing 100 % defensive until they have popped a lot of their stuff, then proceed to go offensive. the ABSOLUTE KEY to this strategy... is that when YOU are playing offensively, you have to make them "afraid" of you. like i said, this is a mindgame. You want to make him scared because his WHOLE combo just failed, and now YOU have the upperhand. If you do this well, he will start to panick and make even more mistakes while you can proceed to play offensively but still keeping your head cool and not making mistakes.

( Bonus trick that can be used in both strategies is to "jump" around and act like hes got nothing on you and he has no chance. If you saved the /laugh or another emote with CTLR + C, you can do this every now and then doing the fight. This has the effect of EITHER making him mad or think that youre just bad, hence being overly confident, taking bad chances which you can punish him for, OR he will actually start to be afraid of you because you seemingly have the time to defend yourself well while still being able to make fun of him mid-fight. )

2, Is to make fun of him ( bonus trick ), time your defense just right, make him waste his dodges, and find the perfect time to use your important offensive skills. ( on DH this would be spear of justice, etc. )If youre able to land your important stuns consistently, this will inevitably make your opponent scared of you and increase your odds of winning substantially.Basically, being 50 % defensive and 50 % offensive. The important thing to this strategy is that you have to be very fluent.

In 1v1's in GW2, combos and counters are Very important.. but the mindgame is too. Try not to make people think youre an easy target, unless youre planning on making them waste all their important skills for that very reason.

EDIT:Learn the timing!! Mirages invulnerability on dodge lasts exactly 1 second i think. you need to learn how to time your CC's EXACTLY after its finished. same goes for other classes. like Holo potion invul thing, DH blocks, warrior blocks, ranger blocks, chrono blocks etc. you get the point. people usually arent ready for a stun or daze etc that lands just a couple of frames after their block or dodge is over. If you get really good at this, you can learn how to use your opponents blocks and dodges against them.

@bigo.9037 said:

Wanna kill Deadeyes? play with sound on. You can hear every time their 1 shot is being fired before you can see them.Daredevils and regular thieves you should have an easy time with on your DH.

Mirages? oh boy. I dont know how DH or holo do against them, but my soulbeast build can do fairly well against them unless they are at my skill level ( which is very rare btw ). I think when playing against mirage youre FORCED to win the "mindgame". how do you do this? its not easy but i can try to explain.

You know how "bad" players who think they can win play TOO aggressive? they pop all their cooldowns.. and you dodge most of their stuff. then they have nothing left to defend themselves, and you win.

1, make them pop all their kitten while im basically playing 100 % defensive until they have popped a lot of their stuff, then proceed to go offensive. the ABSOLUTE KEY to this strategy... is that when YOU are playing offensively, you have to make them "afraid" of you. like i said, this is a mindgame. You want to make him scared because his WHOLE combo just failed, and now YOU have the upperhand. If you do this well, he will start to panick and make even more mistakes while you can proceed to play offensively but still keeping your head cool and not making mistakes.

( Bonus trick that can be used in both strategies is to "jump" around and act like hes got nothing on you and he has no chance. If you saved the /laugh or another emote with CTLR + C, you can do this every now and then doing the fight. This has the effect of EITHER making him mad or think that youre just bad, hence being overly confident, taking bad chances which you can punish him for, OR he will actually start to be afraid of you because you seemingly have the time to defend yourself well while still being able to make fun of him mid-fight. )

2, Is to make fun of him ( bonus trick ), time your defense just right, make him waste his dodges, and find the perfect time to use your important offensive skills. ( on DH this would be spear of justice, etc. )If youre able to land your important stuns consistently, this will inevitably make your opponent scared of you and increase your odds of winning substantially.Basically, being 50 % defensive and 50 % offensive. The important thing to this strategy is that you have to be very fluent.

In 1v1's in GW2, combos and counters are Very important.. but the mindgame is too. Try not to make people think youre an easy target, unless youre planning on making them waste all their important skills for that very reason.

EDIT:Learn the timing!! Mirages invulnerability on dodge lasts exactly 1 second i think. you need to learn how to time your CC's EXACTLY after its finished. same goes for other classes. like Holo potion invul thing, DH blocks, warrior blocks, ranger blocks, chrono blocks etc. you get the point. people usually arent ready for a stun or daze etc that lands just a couple of frames after their block or dodge is over. If you get really good at this, you can learn how to use your opponents blocks and dodges against them.

I can kill bad mirages and deadeyes easily with dh and holo. I spear pull into test of faith, knockback trueshot they are downed.

But against perma stealth ones, and really good mirages you only win if they want to be killed, a deadeye can stay 1500 range all the times, and with the new mobility it has, if you gap closer to him in a matter of seconds he is 1500 range again, so unless he makes a huge mistake, they can't be killed.

Saw one deadeye perma stealthing trolling 4 guys and they were unable to kill him while he was downing 1 in 3 shots, they ressed and he downed another.Ok maybe they were terrible maybe not, but this still shows how broken those profession are.

They should remove the possibility to attack from stealth and making it only a defensive ability with no offense power. It is just a broken mechanic on those kind of builds.

With the upcoming nerfs my dragonhunter won't be touched, so probably it will become a solid class for solo roaming.

Already now it's way stronger in wve than in spvp, so it will become even more.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

@whoknocks.4935 said:Hey, I am a solo roamer guy, I play holosmith, spellbreaker and dragonhunter mainly.

1, make them pop all their kitten while im basically playing 100 % defensive until they have popped a lot of their stuff, then proceed to go offensive. the ABSOLUTE KEY to this strategy... is that when YOU are playing offensively, you have to make them "afraid" of you. like i said, this is a mindgame. You want to make him scared because his WHOLE combo just failed, and now YOU have the upperhand. If you do this well, he will start to panick and make even more mistakes while you can proceed to play offensively but still keeping your head cool and not making mistakes.

I can kill bad mirages and deadeyes easily with dh and holo. I spear pull into test of faith, knockback trueshot they are downed.

But against perma stealth ones, and really good mirages you only win if they want to be killed, a deadeye can stay 1500 range all the times, and with the new mobility it has, if you gap closer to him in a matter of seconds he is 1500 range again, so unless he makes a huge mistake, they can't be killed.

Saw one deadeye perma stealthing trolling 4 guys and they were unable to kill him while he was downing 1 in 3 shots, they ressed and he downed another.Ok maybe they were terrible maybe not, but this still shows how broken those profession are.

They should remove the possibility to attack from stealth and making it only a defensive ability with no offense power. It is just a broken mechanic on those kind of builds.

With the upcoming nerfs my dragonhunter won't be touched, so probably it will become a solid class for solo roaming.

Already now it's way stronger in wve than in spvp, so it will become even more.

Yea i agree the Deadeyes are bullshit. Luckily they cant kill me.. but i cant do anything to them at ALL either cus they keep stealthing over and over. So i agree.My soulbeast build will get stronger too cus of the nerfs to other classes. Thats why I love playing specs nobody else knows how to use properly :)))

@"bLind.6278" said:I was dueling a Mesmer the other day in WvW, because I want to learn how to fight against them. He was playing power Chrono, which I struggle with on my SpB. I've beaten them before but it requires them to misplay a bit.

I just logged off. That sort of thing isn't fun to play against, and you don't learn anything from effectively being globaled. I've improved significantly over the last couple of months, still nowhere near what I would consider good, but I still understand that so much ofy gameplay and my opponents gameplay isn't them countering my abilities, it's just proccing passive defenses and then button mashing.

I even see button mashing from platinum streamers. It's not that they can't counter play their opponents, they just don't need to anymore. Just spam your attacks until kitten dies.

Roaming isn't unenjoyable because of getting ganked by zergs or blobs, that's always been a risk. It's not fun because combat in general is becoming spammy and unintuitive. Use whatever ability isn't on cooldown, get one lucky evade at the right time and you win.

This 100%.

It's sad to read what is being said in this thread, because it's all true for the most part.

However, when it comes to fighting these cheese builds, in pure 1v1 scenarios, they actually are not that bad, they are all doable.

HOWEVER they don't do this, all cheese build players usually run in pairs and groups and exploit cheese mechanics together, again as an unintuitive gank fest. Not only that, they tend to crowd in camps or areas where they are at a clear outnumber.

Very rarely I see a respectful player, with a cheese build engage in a 1v1 in an equal position.

Here are some examples of some pairings that are complete cancer:

One-Shot Weaver and Mesmer,Revenant and Deadeye,Scourge and Firebrand,

These three combos are used to exploit their already current cheese mechanics and to gank people at leisure usually.

Again the problem with roaming, is that these cheese cancer plays are just assassinations, thats why it's called ganking, there isn't really anymore FIGHTING anymore, it's not a fight, just a gank.

In group fights, Deadeyes and Scourges will just use other players to setup ruining group fights imo. The 1shotWeaver/Mesmer combo, allows the Weaver to kite and Mesmer to stun lock, both running high dmg modifiers to insta-down you.

Scourges tend to use Firebrands for constant support just for the purpose they can freely spam their conditions. Deadeyes on groups, Revenant or otherwise, just use their teammates to actually fight, take advantage of their boons and support, while they move around and pew without being actually engaged, they are sniping and stealthing, that's all they do.

I want roaming to be fun, but when I try run specs they are pure fighting and not cheese, it's frustrating and facing these type of mobs forces me to cheese back. I don't like that mentality.

The state of WvW and PvP is very unhealthy right now. Pre-Hot Core was a magical time, Colin Johansen clearly didn't know what he was doing and lacked foresight as a leader and game design.

Again in 1v1 Scenarios, it's doable, but it's sad a lot of people who play this game, play it just to exploit the cancer to it's fullest, they seem like they don't really care about "playing" just want easy button press to shit on.

A general list of cheese cancer builds to look out for:

• Condi Daredevils
  • Burst stunlock Mirages/Chronomancers
  • One Shot Weavers
  • Deadeye snipers
  • Scourges
  • Condi Mirages

Which covers what this guy said here > @"coro.3176" said:

As others have said, if you want to roam, you need to play a cheesy build.

That means you either abuse:

• stealth
  • 1-shot burst
  • mobility to reset the fight or run if it's going badly
  • condi spam
  • unkillable sustain / invulns / passives

or most likely a combination of those.

If you want to play a "normal" build ie. one that doesn't abuse any of those things, you'll always lose to good players that do.

That's at the top of my head, but in general fun classes to fight where u get classic roaming is most if not all the heavy armor professions, engineers, rangers, and core/reaper necros, and core ele/tempest/ and sustain weavers. I get an inkling of fun fights win or lose.

That's the thing, WE WANT TO FIGHT, even if we lose, not to play gank/cheese fest. There is a difference anet doesn't understand.

If I could suggest anything, is to get rid of food completely, sigil of energy, and Scholar runes, those are definitely effecting all builds and play experience in a negative way allowing exploitation.

Me and a lot of other players, want to love this game, because we did because at launch 2013-2014, but it just isn't the same, we got a heavy dose of that reality when HoT lauched with a mass Exodus of people leaving, and then returning with hopeful eyes (Path of Fire) like myself thinking of better days. But it's done, and unless Anet gives us direct insight into their balance team, who, how, and why. Then we can get somewhere fruitful.

As of now, it's evident what they care about, add more stuff so people buy the product, that's it. What the "stuff" does as consequence, is irrelevant after the fact. Gw2 is just a glorified gemstore at this point.

@"Xillllix.3485" said:"How to have fun in WvW"

1- Buy a Delorean DMC-122- Install a Flux capacitor3- Set date to August 29 20124- Drive at 88 MPH

Amen xD

I have NP ever with these classes and builds

Archived