How to have fun in WvW?

whoknocks.4935

Instead of people complaining about all the "cheese" builds - which usually turn out to be the classes/builds of anyone who regularly kicks your a** - just get over it and accept that by it's very definition WORLD vs WORLD was never intended to be a place to go solo. If you can manage it and have fun soloing, great, do your thing; but the problem for solo/roaming players in general isn't all the cheesy builds, it's all the other people running around in groups - which is the way it's meant to be, and means the wvw population is healthy. ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But yeah, as to the OP:I know I used to get very annoyed by the "one shot or reset" type playstyle professions back in the day too. How I kept it fun was by trying to bait them into overextending and using terrain/surrounding allies/npcs to give me an advantage. Or honestly sometimes just going elsewhere for my fun if I wasn't up for the challenge that day. If you learn the profession enough to know the likely mobility options they've slotted and can bait them into using them to "finish you" instead of saving them for their own escape you can time the reversal of fortune sometimes, and that's amazingly satisfying when it happens. Beyond that just accepting dying as part of life helps, although I never got unsportsmanlike whispers from people so.

Deadeye in WvW roaming - stay stealthed to stalk your target, wait for the right moment they turn their back. If you fail to kill the player, simply disengage and continue stalking.So yeah, had this marker on me for a full minute and they deadeye just kept following me from a good distance(stealth) entire time. Feel like flipping camps or picking fights with a rifle aiming at you?

Mirage - annoying condi dmg and invuls. Using range is basically useless on these guys. Whats worse? Chronomancers; yes they're back and more deadly with phantasms.

If you're having problems enjoying roaming, I'd suggest finding a good havok guild to run with. I've always found it to be the most enjoyable way to play WvW. You have the freedom to enjoy playing the build you like, you get one-on-one opportunities, small group fights and engagements in large scale battles coordinating with the rest of the squad, and you have good people to play with and talk to or at least listen to or read. Having good people to talk about the game with and to share wins and losses really adds a lot to the game.

@Inoki.6048 said:

@whoknocks.4935 said:I have zero problems with oneshot weaversI do have something against that. first, if you run a condi build, it's very hard to counter constant, near infinite cleanse. second of all, that sustain added to being able to one-hit something is just blatant imbalance. they can wear paper gear and still not die from being countered by no less than 3 ppl at once.

The 1 shot weaver runs air/arcane/weaver, and has zero condi cleanse, except off hand focus in earth, and ether renewal if they run it. What sustain are you talking about?

@Kovu.7560 said:

@whoknocks.4935 said:Hey, I am a solo roamer guy, I play holosmith, spellbreaker and dragonhunter mainly.

Lately I am not having fun anymore...

Same story...Snip Snip Snip.

Yada Yada Yada.

blah blah blah.

Anet ............. is a toxic showdown and anet wants it that way. ......

Aren't you that guy who has sent angry salt messages to almost every player in WvW across all servers? If so, I don't think you have any right to be commenting on what is or is not toxic in this game.

I still have some of the good ones saved. =D

~ Kovu

can i take a peek at it pretty please?

@"whoknocks.4935" said:Hey, I am a solo roamer guy, I play holosmith, spellbreaker and dragonhunter mainly.

Lately I am not having fun anymore because I always find those stupid builds like perma stealth deadeye impossible to counter. I get them to 10% they go 5000 range in a couple of seconds resetting the battle and returning again oneshotting you.

Same story for mirages, the damage is broken and I know can be avoided but they have too many ways to evade and escape and make the oneshot rotation again if the first time failed.Fights with other roamers are not fun and engaging when there are always those profession around, which add you immediately even saying "git gud".

That's really makes yourself even more mad that those profession have such a low risk high reward factor.

I know dh spellbreaker and holo are easy to play as well, but they are far from being that cancer level of deadeye and mirage especially.

While I agree that Mirage is busted, these permastealthed deadeyes are a meme build that doesn't do enough damage to kill any of my toons.I seriously end up just walking away from them. Engaging them is nothing but getting trolled.I don't see how any heavy armored toon in WvW is having a problem with them. With a little toughness and vit they litterally become mosquitos buzzing in your ear.

I was dueling a Mesmer the other day in WvW, because I want to learn how to fight against them. He was playing power Chrono, which I struggle with on my SpB. I've beaten them before but it requires them to misplay a bit.

Anyway, our first duel went okay, but he was able to outside and me with his mobility and ability to soft-reset fights (without cheesing the duel) the duel, and just whittled me down. The second fight he got me low enough to proc my EP passive, soft-reset the fight and then did about 18k damage to me in his opener while I was stunned. Took about 2-3 seconds start to finish.

I just logged off. That sort of thing isn't fun to play against, and you don't learn anything from effectively being globaled. I've improved significantly over the last couple of months, still nowhere near what I would consider good, but I still understand that so much ofy gameplay and my opponents gameplay isn't them countering my abilities, it's just proccing passive defenses and then button mashing.

I even see button mashing from platinum streamers. It's not that they can't counter play their opponents, they just don't need to anymore. Just spam your attacks until shit dies.

Roaming isn't unenjoyable because of getting ganked by zergs or blobs, that's always been a risk. It's not fun because combat in general is becoming spammy and unintuitive. Use whatever ability isn't on cooldown, get one lucky evade at the right time and you win.

@bLind.6278 said:but I still understand that so much ofy gameplay and my opponents gameplay isn't them countering my abilities, it's just proccing passive defenses and then button mashing.... says the spellbreaker that thrives on passives and button mashing with 8-12K hits while regening more hp than many berserker builds can punch through.

You can't blame people for playing strong builds nor can you blame them for grouping up on you. Everyone likes to win. And honestly, if you can't deal with immature players jumping on your corpse or throwing siege then you probably need to get off the internet right now.

Solo roaming is enjoyable still if you like a challenge and do not expect to have mostly fair fights. It will never be the way it used to again. Stop playing or or stop roaming if you find yourself no longer enjoying this aspect of the game. Nothing else you can do. I for one like the way it is now and I liked the way it was before HoT.Just a matter of how you approach these things.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@bLind.6278 said:but I still understand that so much ofy gameplay and my opponents gameplay isn't them countering my abilities, it's just proccing passive defenses and then button mashing.... says the spellbreaker that thrives on passives and button mashing with 8-12K hits while regening more hp than many berserker builds can punch through.

Even running full zerker with strength runes I don't do 8-12k on my abilities. Arcing Slice is probably my biggest hitter on the build and it only does around 7k max, unless you stand in a full duration 100 Blades for some reason.

Core warrior does a ton of damage, though. Evis for 12k+ isn't super uncommon. Also, any warrior that merely button mashes their way through WvW isn't going to win many duels against decent players unless they get extremely lucky with timing. Warrior sustain can be over the top depending on how well they rotate their cooldowns, but a single RNG corrupt on resist against Condi classes means you die, full stop.

@"bLind.6278" said:

Anyway, our first duel went okay, but he was able to outside and me with his mobility and ability to soft-reset fights (without cheesing the duel) the duel, and just whittled me down. The second fight he got me low enough to proc my EP passive, soft-reset the fight and then did about 18k damage to me in his opener while I was stunned. Took about 2-3 seconds start to finish.

What is "Soft Reset"? Because it sounds a lot like "Kiting," which by no means is any form of a reset. Using the word reset puts it into a very negative context, as though you think kiting is unfair. I hope that is not the case.

@Turk.5460 said:

@"bLind.6278" said:

What is "Soft Reset"? Because it sounds a lot like "Kiting," which by no means is any form of a reset. Using the word reset puts it into a very negative context, as though you think kiting is unfair. I hope that is not the case.

You're supposed to face tank and not dodge. Duh.., that's why you keeled me 7 times when you weren't logged in.

@Turk.5460 said:

@"bLind.6278" said:

Invis, teleport, kite chain, really. Yeah, it's technically "kiting", but is still used as a reset for CD's.

@bLind.6278 said:

Invis, teleport, kite chain, really. Yeah, it's technically "kiting", but is still used as a reset for CD's.

So, because they don't face tank, they are cheesing it?

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Wasn't trying to imply that at all. Resetting fights or kiting is a good practice given the current climate of PvP, especially when dueling. It's cheesy when you do it numerous times a fight because you're bad and are relying on the ability to reset as a crutch, though.

@bLind.6278 said:

Wasn't trying to imply that at all. Resetting fights or kiting is a good practice given the current climate of PvP, especially when dueling. It's cheesy when you do it numerous times a fight because you're bad and are relying on the ability to reset as a crutch, though.

Anyone who doesn't try to kite a warrior when dueling is a moron. That is the best, and for some classes, the only real counter they have. Roaming on my weaver, if I don't kite a warrior, I'm dead. I can only out DPS a warrior with the 1 shot fresh air weaver, which I don't run because if I run into a trailblazer scourge, it's GG, and they are everywhere.

@bLind.6278 said:

It's not a crutch, though, it's a tactic. And a very fair one at that, because if I as a Thief was forced to stick to you as a Warrior, and not leave melee range the whole fight, the fight would be incredibly unfair in favor of the Warrior. If anything, things like EP, SoS and their passives are much more of a crutch.

@Turk.5460 said:

It's not a crutch, though, it's a tactic. And a very fair one at that, because if I as a Thief was forced to stick to you as a Warrior, and not leave melee range the whole fight, the fight would be incredibly unfair in favor of the Warrior. If anything, things like EP, SoS and their passives are
much
more of a crutch.

I wouldn't go that far.

~ Kovu

Archived