Living World S1 vs New Content [Poll]

Many of you would like to see LS1 back once again.But given the fact that the GW2 team is pretty small ( we have new content barely every 3 months, and this includes only the LS episode. No new maps for WvW or SPvP ), they have to chose what to work on.So, because all the other threads about LS1 were imho not fair like

Would you like to see again LS1? Well ofc everybody would to have more content...

I just wanted to know all forum community players choice.I decided to add just 2 options because there are only 2 possibilities ( maybe after 1 years of developing, they could end LS1 and resume the new content, but since then there would be only 2 ways to pursue ).

Can't vote by the way you phrase it but it also made me think about a few things so I'll still give you an answer...kinda....

I've been playing since launch, so LS1 is not new content to me, it's content from years back now. I have fond memories of some of the episodes. I'd love to have the marionette event back for example. The attack on Lion's Arch was a great thing for the community and it was fun to Raid our main Hub, also the map design was breathtaking. Just seeing a city youknew so well totally redisigned to be in a state of war/occupation was great and added lots of tension to it. Compare this to Lake Doric, also a map in a constant state of war, frozen in time just after a major invasion. But we never saw the region before, I don't have fond memories of doinfg stuff in Saidra's Haven and now it's in ruins.LS1 also had it's slow, boring and frustrating parts, the devs were still figuring things out and tried lots of different things that probably wouldn't fly in 2018. Remember pressing "F" 150 times to progress the story or get achievements? Remember having a full map of 150 ppl failing the marionette event because of maybe 5 trolls or ppl who just didn't get the encounter? Remember having two weeks time to grind a one time only 5-man dungeon that's harder than anything else in the game? Seeing two threads at the moment "Demanding that HoT and PoF maps are made easier", remember Southsun Cove, first map to be introduced after launch, and how much fun an Island full of Karkas and Killer-Drakes is?

I would love to revisit some of the LS1 maps and events and it's sad that ressources got wasted on things like the Labyrinthine Cliffs, a map that was in game for eight weeks or so only to be removed forever. But I also like the model they are having now. I generally like how LS3 and LS4 are executed, giving us new content, new maps every now and then.

My answer is, and I know ANet couldn't care less about it, make new content but also update old stuff. maybe, instead of puttig out a new map each season, give us a new map every second season and update an existing map every other. As an example: Allthough I love Siren's Landing as a map, the same story could have been told in core Orr maps. Why not update say Malchor's Leap with new events, new mobs, new locations or a new look. This is not so much about LS1 as it is about not leaving old content behind while creating new content.

I was thinking a lot about all this Season 1 return threads all around - it clear, that there is a gap between Vanilla story and LS2, and it should be filled somehow, but...

New content is a new content - everyone is so curious about what will happen next, where will we go, what's the next map, mastery, mobs, etc. Tyria is sooo huge, and there is unlimited places to visit - North Shiverpeaks (Drakkar's Lake, Sifhalla, Jaga's Moraine etc...), South (Unending Ocean, Cantha), We don't even have a clue what's going on with old Flame Legion's land and place where Kralkatorrik was laying in GW1, etc, etc.

On the other side - Living Story 1 is ready, if we are talking about story, characters, mobs, art, maps - as IT guy and programmer - the real problem I think would be to implement all this together in Instances, and put it together in Story Journal. A lot of iteration, bugs catching etc. It's more programmer's job (scripting all together) and testers (catching bugs), than artists or anyone else. On the other side - only ANet workers know the platform they're working at, and if they didn't put it back yet, it's not as easy, as I'm thinking.

As a newish player (Nov. '17) was the lore and exposition gap irritating? Yes. I have since played through LS2, HoT, LS3, PoF, and as of this past weekend am all caught up with LS4 to date. Not all that interested in LS1 at this point. I do like the suggestions to cherry-pick the Marionette fight.

One of the biggest problems with implementing a repeatable LS1 is that it can't possibly live up to the hype. Part of what made LS1 thrilling was that it was part of a new game and that it was temporary content. Yes, the very thing that caused trouble (for both ANet and players) was the fact that you only had a few weeks to follow the story, participate in event chains, try for challenges|achievements, and (usually) spend whatever currency was available. Whether temp content is good for any game, whether it is (or was) good for GW2 is debatable. But there's no way that repeatable content can give the same vibrancy.

So when we talk about bringing LS1 back, we have to acknowledge that the best ANet can do is to make the story available. They can't, in any meaningful sense, recreate the LS1 experience.

I have nothing against bringing back "just the story," but practically speaking, it means slowing down the progress of LS4 and/or Expac #3 and/or LS #5. And as pointed out above, while many people would like to experience LS1 for the first time in any form, everyone interested in "the story" is also interested in new stories. (Even if some might prefer LS1 over LS5.)

I do think that ANet could and should spare some resources to offer a better recap within the game. There are, as we've seen, plenty of videos and in-game assets, that could be offered up by our intrepid storytelling NPC in LA. The current recap barely gives background to what Scarlet did. It doesn't really offer much in the way of learning how Destiny's Edge II   Fate's Razor ~~   ~~Dragonswatch   Dragons Watch Dragon's Watch came together.

There's just one reason I voted for old one:I had to take a break after the Rox introduction because my first child found her way to our unique world, not talking 'bout Tyria.I came back when the Tower of Nightmare(s?) was revealed in Kessex Hills, so I obviously missed a good chunk of LS1. Although I'm in for new content, I'd really like to check out the old content. But then... when I think about it... Maybe replaying or altering the stuff that was available would somehow corrupt it. Now there's some patina of nostalgia that probably blurs away some flaws... so...shrug

Bringing back S1 would practically be new content for everyone, since it's been so long and only the general story would be the same. Most people never even got to play it, judging by gw2efficiency, and China never had it. They don't even need to bring it back specifically, they could write it into new content, like how we saw past events with Caithe or alternate realities with the infinity ball, which would allow them to do a much quicker version or alternate perspective.

The odds of it being remade however are practically none. They're more likely to abandon the living world entirely in favor of quicker expansions.

Ls1 would be cool, but they'd have to create instances for all of the content and major revamps of several (read: most) encounters to make them solo encounters. That's just gonna slow work on LS4 and other things down and to what end? We can't have ls1 back in full because that would be the return of temporary content, it's NEVER going to be as fun as it was.

Ah, then I’d prefer new content over the old. If they can put the older stuff together as a side project then I’d be down.

In the meantime there’s LS1 the movie on YouTube, which players spliced together to more or less cover the in game events entirely. So you can always watch that.

I also can't vote, because what I'm thinking isn't even approximately represented.

As a new player, I never saw S1, and as such, I don't really care all that much about it. That said, it would still be new content for me. I haven't been here long enough to play through all the content currently available, let alone start clamoring for new stuff to do, but, there are plenty of people that have been. I'd play it, once I got to it, if it were available, but I'm not going to say I prefer one or the other over one or the other, which is what your poll insists I choose. It's ironic too, since your quote states exactly what your poll states, but you wanted to provide real choice instead?

@robertthebard.8150 said:That said, it would still be new content for me.

That's the whole point of the thread.Simply, the community is composed by different players

• New players
  • Veterans
  • Old players who missed part or the whole LS1

This is the current situation.That said, everybody could express his own idea about what should they work on, given also the fact that their resources ar limited, and that working on X would mean don't work on Y.

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@"robertthebard.8150" said:That said, it would still be new content for me.

That's the whole point of the thread.Simply, the community is composed by different players
  • New players
  • Veterans

This is the current situation.That said, everybody could express his own idea about what should they work on, given also the fact that their resources ar limited, and that working on X would mean don't work on Y.

That's the problem with pulling lines out of context in a post, any intent is lost in what you think the point of the post should be. The point of the post was quite simply this: there are plenty of players that are on a new season as soon as it's out, and done with it within days. I've seen references to "but we only get content every three months", possibly in the OP as well, which is a windfall compared to some MMOs, btw, so a lack of new stuff would be felt by the community at large. It's over, there are technical reasons, I gather from reading on these very forums that it can't be updated, and so, they should spend their time where it's going to do the game the most good.

@robertthebard.8150 said:

• New players
  • Veterans

That's the problem with pulling lines out of context in a post, any intent is lost in what you think the point of the post should be. The point of the post was quite simply this: there are plenty of players that are on a new season as soon as it's out, and done with it within days. I've seen references to "but we only get content every three months", possibly in the OP as well, which is a windfall compared to some MMOs, btw, so a lack of new stuff would be felt by the community at large. It's over, there are technical reasons, I gather from reading on these very forums that it can't be updated, and so, they should spend their time where it's going to do the game the most good.

I am the OP, and because of that I simply tried to explain you the point of my thread.

Obviously there are different players, as said before, but because resources are limited, choices must be made ( even though they won't care about this poll's result ofcourse ).

@Shirlias.8104 said:

• New players
  • Veterans

I am the OP, and because of that I simply tried to explain you the point of my thread.

I understood it perfectly, you want them to revamp season 1 instead of making new content. I gather this from the way you worded your poll. As you can see, I don't have a preference, since I believe they should do what's best for the game, and so, I can't vote in your poll. This isn't due to a lack of understanding, it's due to a lack of actual choices that reflect my opinion on the matter, because it's not "this way or that". They could likely put a small team, or even a single person on updating old content, and still crank out new stuff. They could completely ignore it, as it's not worth their time, any items they could put in the CS to absorb development costs have already been in the CS, and would have people yelling "CASH GRAB" at the top of their forum voices for months afterwards.

@robertthebard.8150 said:

• New players
  • Veterans

I understood it perfectly, you want them to revamp season 1 instead of making new content. I gather this from the way you worded your poll. As you can see, I don't have a preference, since I believe they should do what's best for the game, and so, I can't vote in your poll. This isn't due to a lack of understanding, it's due to a lack of actual choices that reflect my opinion on the matter, because it's not "this way or that". They could likely put a small team, or even a single person on updating old content, and still crank out new stuff. They could completely ignore it, as it's not worth their time, any items they could put in the CS to absorb development costs have already been in the CS, and would have people yelling "CASH GRAB" at the top of their forum voices for months afterwards.

Err, check my vote....

Archived