Not enough easy accessible Mastery Points in New Expansion [Spoilers]

@CptAurellian.9537 said:That was the only point where I was stuck briefly, but there are enough points that don't require too much effort. Sous-chef, raptor treat achievement and, I think, the all bounty areas achievement in Crystal Oasis did it for me.Maybe it's different on other servers, but so far I haven't seen anyone complete some of the bounties successfully. For instance, I camped at the legendary wyrm for five hours during the Crystal Desert daily bounty. There were plenty of attempts, none got it below 30% and the group attempting it grew smaller and smaller on every try as players concluded that it's just not going to die.

There's tonnes of easy MP's if you put in the time for them.

I've only gone up to the 3rd unlock for my first 4 mounts though (working on griffin), which I honestly think is the sensible thing to do in the long run.

I'll max out the griffin first (which I already have more than enough points for), then slowly work my way through those 4th unlocks.

I didn't have any issues with gating.

Here's how i did it.Step 1: Play the storyStep 2: Fully explore the current map the story is in, If the story tells you to go to the next zone don't until you've uncovered most of the playable area.Step 3: Collect the insightsIf you still happen to be short (for whatever reason)Step 4: Replay any story step that rewards additional mastery points for completionIf you don't need themStep 4a: Continue the story.

Following this method i had enough to not only train everything 257 mastery but also had 7 to spare before backtracking for others.

I never had an issue with mastery points, but I was just playing and I couldn't really say where I picked them all up. Now I can, after playing alongside a friend who just started and picked them up while I was there.

"Sparking the Flame", "Blazing a Trail" and "Night of Fires" story chapters. That's 3 you get automatically before the story requires Raptor Mastery at 3.

Mastery points just to be picked up at Elon Bay (underwater) and a little north of Amnoon bazaar Point of Interest. Adds up to 5

Sous-chef challenge, memorization teleporter game and "Reins of the Raptor" achievement (which is shoved in your face if you follow NPC advice). That's 3 more. Surely 1 of these should be within anyone's grasp.

I consider all 8 of the above to be easily accessible. And you only need 6 of them.

Once you get raptor 3 everything becomes much easier. Just keep repeating the mantra 'in Dulfy we trust' and read her guides.

1) Get to level 3 of raptor.2) Go get the springer and the glider, upgrade one, and only one, of them to level 3.3) Go get the jackal (can do step 4 first if you want, just obv will need before step 5).4) Of the two mounts in (2) upgrade the one you did not level to 3 to also be level 3.5) Upgrade the jackal to level 3.6) Pick off any MPs you can now get to but do not upgrade anything yet, fill up all 4 mastery bars with xp though.7) Decide if you REALLY want the griffon, if so do so.8) If you get the griffon level it.9) Bring the first 4 mounts to level 4 (or at least the ones you want at level 4 the most).

Some slight variations but just remember the guides and that level 3 on any mount is gold.

I disagree with Menadena. You do not require the griffon for any of the Mastery Points. Most are accessible even without maxed standard mounts, and I never had an issue with MP in this expansion (i.e., at no point was my XP bar "stuck" due to a lack of MP).

I don't see people's issue. Maybe they are rushing through the story rather than finishing up their current map? That would explain the problem..

P.S.

@phor.7952 said:

1. Pick up a Vision Crystal and Speak to 3 Ritual Priests

That is not the Vision Crystal required for the achievement, but the one used in crafting. I wasn't able to find any information about that one. Where is it located?

There's a kind of disconnect that happens in threads like this that take place just after major new content is released. It's entirely a result of people having drastically different playstyles,

• People who focus on the story over everything else have trouble thinking "outside the box" & considering Mastery Points that are outside of the story path.
  • Exploration fans have trouble thinking "inside the box" and remembering just which mastery points are easy/hard, some because they don't mind skipping and returning and others because they find workarounds.
  • And there are lots of ways to obtain all sorts of XP faster than unlocking Mastery Points and vice versa.

tl;dr have some patience with others who don't think about GW2 the same as you do. Their approach isn't wrong (or bad), just different.

PS There are lots of good tips hidden in this thread regarding getting extra XP or easy Mastery Points. If you're short one or the other, it's worth scouring for them.

@Ashantara.8731 said:I disagree with Menadena. You do not require the griffon for any of the Mastery Points. Most are accessible even without maxed standard mounts, and I never had an issue with MP in this expansion (i.e., at no point was my XP bar "stuck" due to a lack of MP).

I don't see people's issue. Maybe they are rushing through the story rather than finishing up their current map? That would explain the problem..

P.S.

@phor.7952 said:
  1. Pick up a
    and Speak to 3 Ritual Priests

That is not the Vision Crystal required for the achievement, but the one used in crafting. I wasn't able to find any information about that one. Where is it located?

Maybe a communications issue? There are only one or two MPs where you might need it, it is more if you WANT the mount. I doubt I will decide to go for it so that is more MPs/potential MPs for level 4 and/or LW season 4.

AFAIK the vision crystal is the crafting one. The tooltip just says that you need a vision crystal in your inventory.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:I disagree with Menadena. You do
not
require the griffon for
any
of the Mastery Points. Most are accessible even without maxed standard mounts, and I never had an issue with MP in this expansion (i.e., at no point was my XP bar "stuck" due to a lack of MP).

P.S.

@phor.7952 said:
  1. Pick up a
    and Speak to 3 Ritual Priests

Maybe a communications issue? There are only one or two MPs where you might need it, it is more if you WANT the mount. I doubt I will decide to go for it so that is more MPs/potential MPs for level 4 and/or LW season 4.

AFAIK the vision crystal is the crafting one. The tooltip just says that you need a vision crystal in your inventory.

There are actually three vision crystals near the graves of the priests that you can pick up and then get close to the grave to get an encounter.

Update on available versus required masteries, according to the wiki:

In other words, PoF has a surplus of 21 mastery points.

Comparing to HoTThere are 198 mastery unlocks in HoT:

• HoT @launch = 102
  • Adventures = 30
  • LS3 = 48
  • Raids = 18

144 are required to fully max HoT

• Basic HoT = 112
  • Raids = 8
  • LS3 (ancient magics) = 24

At launch, maxing meant doing some adventures (at least 5 at gold or 10 at silver). With LS3, there's enough to max all of HoT without any adventures, including Raid & LS3 masteries. In other words, PoF is much, much more forgiving than HoT is even today, plus it requires less effort to max.

I already have so much Mastery Points that I can max all of the 5 mounts and still have 8 MP left. My only hurdle now are the exp I need to get. It was absurdly easy to get them all. And so fast! I still remember how long it took me to get all the Tyria Points I needed. And even HoT took way longer! I consider myself slow ingame and even for me it was really easy o.o I am not complaining! I am a actually relieved about that.

@psizone.8437 said:Man this topic got crazy, looks like half the posts didn't read the original post.

The whole point was that there were very few mastery points to get before getting canyon jumping on Raptor, not that the whole expansion lacked easy points.

But there is still enough. Story + 4 masteries from Oasis = Raptor 3 with a point to spare. Meaning there is a surplus of 1 point. That means one of the hated memory mini-games cant be entire skipped too for those that hate it, while still having Raptor 3 achievable. I don't do achievements unless I accidentally manage to finish them, so I don't even look at those points. The whole discussion is moot at this point.

In general I don't think they should be easier, but I do think there should have been 1 more "easy" available in Crystal Oasis for the Raptor 3, since within no time the rest of the content is gated behind it - even the first zone completion.

For the ones that say; "But there are tons of Mastery! I've maxed everything until halfway into the next expansion and got 140 left", keep in mind that this is issue only applies to people in a certain situation and having 1 more extra easier one would not harm you in any way, no one is trying to take anything away from you and it will make it easier for a few.

Keep in mind that the expansion has drawn new people to the game or returning players that haven't played in a while. This can very easily lead to;

a) They might not want to continue on the story right now as they want to play the story from the start/where they left of, this removes the story masteries available.b) If they didn't play, or stopped before, they got the advanced gliding mastery in HoT, that is another point of the board.c) They seemed to have fixed the raptor jump/char screen log out method seen in other guides, that removes another option.

Although most people don't had an issue with the above, it's not unreasonable to think that some people cross all these boxes.

This leaves you with only two options to get Raptor 3, which you have to get in order to progress further at all;=> Teleport to friend, or;=> Doing an achievement.

Now, those are obviously not the end of the world, or any big problem for that matter. Still, as I believe is the point the thread starter tried to get across, it's also not paticularly user or new player friendly. So in all honesty, I also agree that there could have been 1 more click-and-collect Mastery in the first zone - to get the ball rolling.

@"Enola B Twenty Nine.2631" said:So far, I love the expansion. Compared to HoT, I really enjoyed playing PoF, except until the past few hours. I am stuck looking for a single mastery point. I am on the "Find the remaining crystals of Vlast's body" story, and need to get "canyon jumping" mastery. I have just one more point so as to get the Springer Mount, but for the life of me, I can't find any "easy" accessible points. I have also been to Elon Riverlands, but these don't seem to be accessible either.

Am I missing something? I am sick and tired of wondering around the web looking for possible clues. Is there an exact number of easier accessible mastery's, and I am just missing them?

Dude... come on. I maxed all 5 mounts on mastery points that were literally run up, click f.

@Meneh.2954 There's no question that getting to Raptor/T3 is the most difficult 'hill' to climb. However, it's only, um, insurmountable to people who want to follow the story without taking any detours. I can agree that's a valid preference, I'm just not sure that's enough for ANet to spend all that much effort to change the way things are.

There's a really easy mastery point in the free city of amnoon in the building north of the bank. You have to help a chef make a soup.With that mastery point + normal 2/3 mastery points from story missions you should have enough for raptor level 3 without having to backtrack far.

@Ahnx.2671 said:There's a really easy mastery point in the free city of amnoon in the building north of the bank. You have to help a chef make a soup.With that mastery point + normal 2/3 mastery points from story missions you should have enough for raptor level 3 without having to backtrack far.

It's not an easy mastery point for everyone. (See above and various other threads.)

@Enola B Twenty Nine.2631 said:I mean that I can't get to them by gliding, walking, or with a raptor that does not have level 3 mastery. I require a non-raptor mount, and I need the 3rd level canyon mastery to progress in the PoF story. You need this to get a Springer.

A buddy and I found it quite easy to get a lot of the Masteries with just Raptor (he had Level 1 Raptor) and Gliding, same with other items likes the Vlast crystals which say you need springer mounts. It's all about using the environment.