If dwarves were playable...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not overly fussed about it. We've seen how playable races can be watered down and lose a lot of their flavour in order to fit the story and World. It's alreadya tragedy to see the Norn in the state they are, I don't think I want to see any other races lose their distinctness.

@Moonlit.6421 said:

@"Martimus.6027" said:Do you people not want additional races or what? Are you arguing against more flavor, fun, and game options just to argue against it?

Come on. So far, all I'm seeing from people for there not being another race added is, "it's like, super haaaaaaard tho" as if you speak for ANet.

Well, yea. It's hard. We don't do complex and intricate things because they're easy. Yea it would take money and time. So maybe not devote resources to more skins and outfits and all that stuff and shift it to adding a new race in an expansion. I would buy it. Wouldn't you guys?

Man you did not read through all the replies did you. Not even my thread and I had the decency to read through most of em. First off I'll start with my personal opinion. I don't think new races are needed, let alone inevitable. Would I buy a new expansion for that? Yes but only to support the game itself, as I do love the game, however I'd be disappointed in the direction it took. I have 42 characters and I adore lore and fashion wars but I would not want this waste of resources.

Now as for what I've seen in this thread there are some incredibly logical arguments for why a new races should not be added. Is it possible? Technically yes. Would it require rewriting/adding things to every portion of the game, creating new starter maps, voice lines, racial abilities, changing the lore, and making sure all current armors could fit them? Yes. That is a huge load, maybe even more than an expac, all for a very small addition to the game. I would much rather get more skins, new maps, and improvements to our current game modes any day, not because I "hate more fun and flavor" but because I see what a waste of resources it would be.

No i did not read through literally every single reply. I am not required to do so, and you are not a forum moderator. Now that that is out of the way, unless you work at ANet you can't determine in any way whatsoever what is a 'waste of resources' for them. At all. Everything you stated is all your opinion, and that's fine. But for you to assume authority and sit in an ivory tower and cast down your gavel of judgement on what would constitute a 'waste' is utterly subjective and absolutely not up to you. I guess a choya pinata tonic, kite skins and 'costumes' are all 'not a waste' but adding something as amazing as a new race that quite a few people would like, is a waste. Gotcha.

If we get to be dwarfs (since they are all stone) I want to be the rest of the hand of the dwarf from Ember Bay. My personal story would be to run around looking for my thumb (which was given to all the current commanders who did that story step). So, I would look like Thing from the Addam's Family and in the quest to find my thumb, I could run across the rest of the heroes. They wouldn't even need to code in any of the previous story line stuff from anything up to that point.

@Martimus.6027 said:

@Martimus.6027 said:Do you people not want additional races or what? Are you arguing against more flavor, fun, and game options just to argue against it?

Come on. So far, all I'm seeing from people for there not being another race added is, "it's like, super haaaaaaard tho" as if you speak for ANet.

Well, yea. It's hard. We don't do complex and intricate things because they're easy. Yea it would take money and time. So maybe not devote resources to more skins and outfits and all that stuff and shift it to adding a new race in an expansion. I would buy it. Wouldn't you guys?

Man you did not read through all the replies did you. Not even my thread and I had the decency to read through most of em. First off I'll start with my personal opinion. I don't think new races are needed, let alone inevitable. Would I buy a new expansion for that? Yes but only to support the game itself, as I do love the game, however I'd be disappointed in the direction it took. I have 42 characters and I adore lore and fashion wars but I would not want this waste of resources.

Now as for what I've seen in this thread there are some incredibly logical arguments for why a new races should not be added. Is it possible? Technically yes. Would it require rewriting/adding things to every portion of the game, creating new starter maps, voice lines, racial abilities, changing the lore, and making sure all current armors could fit them? Yes. That is a huge load, maybe even more than an expac, all for a very small addition to the game. I would much rather get more skins, new maps, and improvements to our current game modes any day, not because I "hate more fun and flavor" but because I see what a waste of resources it would be.

No i did not read through literally every single reply. I am not required to do so, and you are not a forum moderator. Now that that is out of the way, unless you work at ANet you can't determine in any way whatsoever what is a 'waste of resources' for them. At all. Everything you stated is all your opinion, and that's fine. But for you to assume authority and sit in an ivory tower and cast down your gavel of judgement on what would constitute a 'waste' is utterly subjective and absolutely not up to you. I guess a choya pinata tonic, kite skins and 'costumes' are all 'not a waste' but adding something as amazing as a new race that quite a few people would like, is a waste. Gotcha.

Everything we stated are valid reasons why there likely will not be.

They specifically stated it was such and that there were other things that they could work on.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Martimus.6027 said:Do you people not want additional races or what? Are you arguing against more flavor, fun, and game options just to argue against it?

They specifically stated it was such and that there were other things that they could work on.

Colin himself stated that he would like to see a new playable race. They never said never, but they said not right now. They certainly didn't say it was a 'waste' of resources.

@Martimus.6027 said:

Colin himself stated that he would like to see a new playable race. They never said never, but they said not right now. They certainly didn't say it was a 'waste' of resources.

This post from Anet was made within the past six months. They did say something along the lines that they preferred to use their resources elsewhere. I’m trying to find the post.

Edit:

Close but I remember seeing an actual dev post. Still looking.

I asked whether they have even considered adding a new race for PoF. Mike said that no and then added that new races in GW2 are "not impossible but very unlikely" to appear in the future. Implementing them would require a lot of resources that can be spent better on creating new content relevant for all players. While this might sound disappointing to a lot of Tengu fans like me, I totally get where he's coming from.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6vuuzx/gw2_community_meetgreet_event_report_and_news/

@Martimus.6027 said:

Alright it's going to be one of those discussions I see lol. First I'm gonna do you the courtesy of ignoring all that ivory tower stuff and other dramatic things as I don't want to waste time on it. Now moving on from there your eyes are correct, I am indeed not a forum moderator. Also correct is that you do not have to read through all the replies that responded to you. However you did say;"So far, all I'm seeing from people for there not being another race added is, "it's like, super haaaaaaard tho" "So you said all you were seeing from people is that it would be hard. At this point I highly encourage you to go back and actually read the replies as I can ensure you there was plenty more than that.

Now to the next point. Once again good for you you are correct, I do not work for Anet. However I do have the wonderful ability to think so there are some things I can assess. If I see someone drive down the road throwing money out their window I can say that is a waste of money. If I see someone buy food then throw it away without eating I can safely say that was a waste of food. Part of what I said was indeed my opinion, I even said that explicitly, but a good bit were things Anet would have to do. That is not an opinion. And, once again, I invite you to read through the replies to your thread and see how people write out well thought out, knowledgeable replies to why they think Anet will never bother with a new race, despite the fact that at least one of these threads pops up every month.

You have a good day now, and I truly do hope you take the time to read your own thread.

@Moonlit.6421 said:

Alright it's going to be one of those discussions I see lol. First I'm gonna do you the courtesy of ignoring all that ivory tower stuff and other dramatic things as I don't want to waste time on it. Now moving on from there your eyes are correct, I am indeed not a forum moderator. Also correct is that you do not have to read through all the replies that responded to you. However you did say;"So far, all I'm seeing from people for there not being another race added is, "it's like, super haaaaaaard tho" "So you said all you were seeing from people is that it would be hard. At this point I highly encourage you to go back and actually read the replies as I can ensure you there was plenty more than that.

Now to the next point. Once again good for you you are correct, I do not work for Anet. However I do have the wonderful ability to think so there are some things I can assess. If I see someone drive down the road throwing money out their window I can say that is a waste of money. If I see someone buy food then throw it away without eating I can safely say that was a waste of food. Part of what I said was indeed my opinion, I even said that explicitly, but a good bit were things Anet would have to do. That is not an opinion. And, once again, I invite you to read through the replies to
your
thread and see how people write out well thought out, knowledgeable replies to why they think Anet will never bother with a new race, despite the fact that at least one of these threads pops up every month.

You have a good day now, and I truly do hope you take the time to read your own thread.

No. I said all I am seeing from people who are arguing against there being another race is that it is super hard (it's called paraphrasing - that's what it boils down to and I stand by my assessment). I specifically did not state that that was all that was being said by literally everyone who posted. Please don't put words in my mouth. And this discussion became what it was the moment you acted like an authority figure and moderator on how I posted and what I said (which you misrepresented). You could have easily left all of that out, including the snark, and this wouldn't have taken the turn it did.

But yet again, the chastisement continues. I'll let you have the last word. Seems like you want it.

@Martimus.6027 said:

Well, that was certainly aggressive...

All I did was stating my opinion, and adding what I thought was the most logical reasons for why Anet did or did not want to do that. After all, this kind of thread comes up just about every single week since launch, most of us have seen the arguments back and forth a few hundred times by now. And ANet has never shown any interesting in changing their stance on this (as in "not right now"). So there isn't much left to do but repeat the same old things, or make it into another "Dram thread, what if I got everything I ever wanted in this game" style.

But for you to assume authority and sit in an ivory tower and cast down your gavel of judgement on what would constitute a 'waste' is utterly subjective and absolutely not up to you.

I guess I could throw that one right back at you in this case, are you the one that allows us or not to post logical arguments in a discussion thread?

I guess a choya pinata tonic, kite skins and 'costumes' are all 'not a waste' but adding something as amazing as a new race that quite a few people would like, is a waste. Gotcha.

Personally I am much more interested in the WvW world restructuring, balancing of classes to make PVP based combat actually fun again (as it hasn't been since before HOT), and stop all the powercreep since HOT release. Alternatively if we're going into wish mode: I'd like to see other additions first, like re-designing general mobs in the game to make PVE combat more engaging and fun, a hard mode for open world, like vanquish mode from gw1. But under no circumstance do I expect or demand ANet to make those, because I realize they're a waste of resources compared to what they could gain from it (economically).

:(

@joneirikb.7506 said:

Well, that was certainly aggressive...

All I did was stating my opinion, and adding what I thought was the most logical reasons for why Anet did or did not want to do that. After all, this kind of thread comes up just about every single week since launch, most of us have seen the arguments back and forth a few hundred times by now. And ANet has never shown any interesting in changing their stance on this (as in "not right now"). So there isn't much left to do but repeat the same old things, or make it into another "Dram thread, what if I got everything I ever wanted in this game" style.

But for you to assume authority and sit in an ivory tower and cast down your gavel of judgement on what would constitute a 'waste' is utterly subjective and absolutely not up to you.

I guess I could throw that one right back at you in this case, are you the one that allows us or not to post logical arguments in a discussion thread?

I guess a choya pinata tonic, kite skins and 'costumes' are all 'not a waste' but adding something as amazing as a new race that quite a few people would like, is a waste. Gotcha.

Personally I am much more interested in the WvW world restructuring, balancing of classes to make PVP based combat actually fun again (as it hasn't been since before HOT), and stop all the powercreep since HOT release. Alternatively if we're going into wish mode: I'd like to see other additions first, like re-designing general mobs in the game to make PVE combat more engaging and fun, a hard mode for open world, like vanquish mode from gw1. But under no circumstance do I expect or demand ANet to make those, because I realize they're a waste of resources compared to what they could gain from it (economically).

:(

Ask yourself this question, then please:

Do you really think adding a new race in a new expansion won't make them a decent respectable profit, versus giving those balance changes you want, for free?

I think that adding a new race in an expansion, will sell. But also disappoint a majority of the fan base that would expect more than just a race for an entire expansion pack. This would require them to develop even more (than just a race) and possibly push the costs and resources to make that expansion pack beyond what is economically sensible for ANet to do.

In general, what people expect from an expansion pack is mostly story, maps, and skins. So far we've seen a whole pile of new mechanics in both expansions so far, I don't think a new race is entirely impossible, just very unlikely.

I personally wouldn't buy an expansion pack with only a race, I'd prefer something I could use on my existing characters (like Gliding and Mounts etc) as they progress my character, instead of forcing me to make a new one.

this might be just crazy but what if there is a dwarven village that never had anything to do with the great dwarf, a family that left the deldrimor ages ago and started their own village beyond known tyria.that same village could have drarfs still flesh and bone, a village that has grown to city size and now plan to expand beyond the borders they layed out for them self.

A new race could be seen as an expensive addition with little added value. Yes, it is true... for some vets interested only in gameplay. For new people, lore fans or fashion warriors it can be the whole reason to get the game, or an specific expansion.If the marketing team does its work right, a new race could become an enormous boost to the game's sales.

@Moonlit.6421 said:

@"Martimus.6027" said:And this discussion became what it was the moment
you
acted like an authority figure and moderator on how I posted and what I said (which you misrepresented). You could have easily left all of that out, including the snark, and this wouldn't have taken the turn it did.

But yet again, the chastisement continues. I'll let you have the last word. Seems like you want it.

Oh come now don't act as though you sponsored a positive environment for this thread. Blame it on me if it helps you though. As for the snark I'll be honest normally I'm not to bad about it, but it does irritate me when I see people act like there aren't logical reasons to disagree with them anf either ignore them or just not read them as what happened here. Had you taken the time to read the polite, knowledgeable, and well thought out replies here before making that post I originally replied to I would've felt no need to respond. Because you didn't however I felt you should be made aware that these posts do exist and that you should really read them. But it seems like this is more like one of those "I want this so don't disagree with me" threads and not a "let's start a discussion on if this should be added."

That aside I've said my piece. Seeing as you feel I'm the negative part of this thread apparently I will gladly see myself out with this final reply. Hope you listen to those who posted valuable counter points here, cya~

Ok, let's both take a step back and be nicer, shall we? I will if you will.

However, please stop assuming you know/telling me what I have and have not read on this forum topic. I am very well aware of every single reason people have listed for this argument against a new race (because it was also used as to why we couldn't have a new class in the past):

It's too expensive and time consuming (it would be too hard)The lore would need to be totally reworked to include them (it would be too hard)Resources would better be used to balance the game (it would be too hard - also this is not nearly as profitable resource-wise as adding a new race)It is a waste of resources (totally subjective opinion, also it would be too hard - also keep in mind the sheer cosmetic nonsense added to the gem store on a regular basis that also takes time and resources but somehow is not a waste of resources - perhaps because it generates profit. Huh...ponder).

Now, let's also keep this in mind: every single argument made on here against adding a new race was also repeatedly done ad nauseum in the past as to why a new class would not/could not/should not (with a goat) be added. And yet here we are with a Revenant, somehow. I guess all that wasted resource turned out to be not a waste Huh.. ponder. Miraculously, Heart of Thorns sold well and brought in new players and kept current ones. It's like it wasn't a waste of resources because it brought in a profit...and then allowed another expansion to be released.

Those responses preclude the idea that an added race would not make an enormous profit (It would, and most likely by every single GW2 player, and it would also bring other players in who liked the race enough to start playing GW2 - I personally know friends who will not play the game because they do hate the current races and their aesthetic).

...but if you believe I will stop advocating for one simply because of the reasons listed, you are mistaken. I firmly believe, that eventually, we ARE going to get a new race added to this game. The bell has been rung and the sound is resonating.

DING! Tengu! DING!

@Martimus.6027 Revenant was added to balance out the three weight classes. At launch we had 3 light, 3 medium and only 2 heavy. Now we got 3 of each and even though they added the Rev and Elite specializations . Rev still doesn't feel like it was ever finished.Dwarfs are a bit over done in any MMO, though I do like the GW dwarfs a lot. Just not sure if I would rather see some return as NPC's or as playable.Tengu where intended to be playable and was said before that they share a lot of the same assets as the Charr, plus they got a whole map zone and nearby low to med level zones to level in.Largos would be easy due to being humanoid, the Largo's backpack/glider already shows how Anet can deal with their back fins/wings.

@Martimus.6027 said:This game absolutely needs a new playable race. Not to the level of ridiculousness like WoW, but I think two more playable races would help quite a bit. I ONLY like humans and Sylvari. The others are fugly. Dwarf would be nice, or a bird race or reptilian one.

None of what you wrote is a reason that the game needs a new playable race. Don't make such a bold claim without statements that actually back it up

@"DarcShriek.5829" said:I like the fact tha GW2 doesn’t have the same boring races that a thousand generic fantasy games have. I would be majorly disappointed if the added dwarves, elves, gnomes, or halflings as player races

Excelsior.That is also something I really enjoy about GW2. All of our species are very unique - except for the Norns - and different. But as someone who's always around 1 meter "tall" in video games, I was so tired of all the J.R.R Tolkien rip-offs. I am still traumatized from being a dwarf in "Das Schwarze Auge" (The Dark Eye) for MS-DOS because my dad created his adventurer's group from family members and I was the smallest...

I also don't like Tengu and I am not sure why people even want a new species to play as. To keep the game fresh? I see people with like 15 characters or people that rush through everything with guides and zergs. If aNet would do it, you would be bored very soon again.

Archived